Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm 

I've been scanning through random bands and landed on one whose genre is listed partly as mallcore. After searching further I found 44 of them are here. Now i understand what types of sounds typify mallcore, and don't like it at all. So i am not personally insulted by the term, no worries there.

But it just seems to me like more of an insult term than a legitimate genre tag, that is more fitting in an opinion-based thing like review or forum thread than an artist's archive page. I think it breaks the rule regarding neutral information. People know what the sound of cock rock is too, but i don't see that in any band's genre description. So is this a fair comment or have i just made an ass of myself?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:

But it just seems to me like more of an insult term than a legitimate genre tag

Yeah, it's like bro-core and other derogative ways to refer to music.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm 

It's not; it's simply a catch-all term that eventually gained common use on the site. Mods have made mentions of not liking it in the past, and some have also done work to weed it out.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm 

No, it's not really a genre and it's more of a catch-all tag that was used when bands were on the archives because they released metal material, but also had an era where they released alternative hard rock/nu-metal/hardcore variants. I believe it was just something that was used from the site's inception for awful non-metal stuff that most people didn't care to differentiate much. Still, I'm working to remove a few ambiguous/placeholder tags that could be more objectively accurate, it just takes time to find the music and listen to it and consider what to call it. The time-consuming part of this is that if a band has one mallcore album, I'll end up checking their whole discography to see if they belong on the archives, and it takes a lot of time for a relatively small task, though a task that is certainly worth it in continually enforcing the integrity and accuracy of the archives.

In the near future, the terms "mallcore" and "modern metal" will have been changed to more accurate genres/desriptors.

Reply to topic