Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
On the subject of the album; as the expected, it rules. Sure, it's a bit overlong, but also very consistent. Somewhat heavier than BGWTB too. No songs have truly jumped out at me yet, but that'll surely change. The last album required sometime to sink in before I could point out highlights, and I'm certain this one will follow the same path.

On my first listen I liked "Voices" and "Breath on a Window" a lot. Beats listening to "Phantom Limb" for the 100th time. I would also agree that this is not heavier than BGWTB. There's more clean distortion and much less doom.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 pm 

Solid record, as expected from AiC. I'd agree with the majority that a few songs felt a bit overlong at times. But overall, it's pretty consistent, again as mentioned by the majority here. My current favourites are "Stone", "Voices", "Low Ceiling", "Breath on a Window", "Phantom Limb" and "Choke". For a moment there I thought Layne is back from his grave and singing on "Hung on a Hook". I don't know who's singing the leads on it Jerry or William, whoever did it it's a damn good emulation of Layne.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
On the subject of the album; as the expected, it rules. Sure, it's a bit overlong, but also very consistent. Somewhat heavier than BGWTB too. No songs have truly jumped out at me yet, but that'll surely change. The last album required sometime to sink in before I could point out highlights, and I'm certain this one will follow the same path.

On my first listen I liked "Voices" and "Breath on a Window" a lot. Beats listening to "Phantom Limb" for the 100th time. I would also agree that this is not heavier than BGWTB. There's more clean distortion and much less doom.

Sounds right up my alley then. Can't wait to hear it; AIC are best when they mellow out.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 pm 

They've definitely mellowed out, but I would argue that there's any less doom in this record.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:44 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
They've definitely mellowed out, but I would argue that there's any less doom in this record.

Really now? BGWTB had thunderous songs had over half the album fully engrossed in doom, with "A Looking In View" topping that sound off. This one's got a few songs doing it but they're taking a different approach to it. You get the same AIC to a different tune. TDPDH is more rocking.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:47 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:

Really now? BGWTB had thunderous songs had over half the album fully engrossed in doom, with "A Looking In View" topping that sound off. This one's got a few songs doing it but they're taking a different approach to it. You get the same AIC to a different tune. TDPDH is more rocking.

The doom is still there in full force, though, it's just more of a slow, droning doom, as opposed to a thunderous, in-your-face doom.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:34 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
The doom is still there in full force, though, it's just more of a slow, droning doom, as opposed to a thunderous, in-your-face doom.

This, I agree with. It's still perfectly doomy, but in a different way.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:

Huh, I didn't think of it that way, or at least wouldn't have deemed those traits as doom. Sounded more rock-oriented to me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 pm 

Eh, it's not really that important in the end. The important thing is that the new AIC is out, and that it's great :hyper:

I'm on my eighth listen by now, and the titletrack, Lab Monkey, Stone, and Voices seem to be where the magic is for me. Sure, I've been listening to Stone since it came out, but I still haven't grown tired of it (and I don't think I will), while The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here has an endearingly haunting quality mixed with its mocking tone. Lab Monkey is simply awesome in its dreary heaviness, and Voices has what probably are the best dynamics and vocal melodies during the album's running time.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:

AIC isn't doom :/ They're influenced by Sabbath but they're not doom metal and never were...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm 

Not saying that they're actual doom, Tony. What I am saying is that there is a doomy quality to their music, and that goes double for BGWTB and TDPDH.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
For a moment there I thought Layne is back from his grave and singing on "Hung on a Hook". I don't know who's singing the leads on it Jerry or William, whoever did it it's a damn good emulation of Layne.

i thought it sounded more like dax riggs, heh. i never hear much layne in duvall's voice, and cantrell has always just been cantrell.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 pm 

I can see the Dax Riggs in there, Turner. Which isn't even a bad thing since Dax Riggs fucking rocks. But I definitely hear a hint of Layne in there.

And Tony, we're not implying that they're actually doom metal, like Xlxlx said, there is a definite doomy quality to their music.

Last edited by Burnyoursins on Fri May 24, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 pm 

I'm probably listening to too much trad doom again! Sure, some here and there such as in "Stone" or "Phantom Limb" but for me, they always managed to stay away from an easy classification, their sound is so rich.

What's your favorite song on the album, guys? I think mine is the title track.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:07 pm 

I really love Hung On A Hook, but Stone is a wicked tune, too.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:11 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Eh, it's not really that important in the end. The important thing is that the new AIC is out, and that it's great :hyper:

One thing I can certainly agree on is that.

As for my favorite, it's probably "Breath On A Window". It starts off with that hypnotic riff, and the vocals are immediately after to reel you in. So catchy, rocky, and while still retaining that eerie ring to the guitars. It's got a bit of the old in it and that modernity AIC's redefining themselves with. The leads at the end are also an addition that's touched upon well. After that it'd probably be "Phantom Limb" for that burly, memorable riff and "Voice" or "Stone" after that.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 pm 

If this albums sounds like doom and dax riggs then I won't hesitate to have my mind blown by it in a few moments.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:22 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
If this albums sounds like doom and dax riggs then I won't hesitate to have my mind blown by it in a few moments.

Now, now, don't get crazy; what people actually said was that there's a certain doomy quality to it and that one of the songs has kind of a Dax Riggs tinge in the vocal department (though personally I don't hear it). Sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't want you to have any false expectations when it comes to the album.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 pm 

I don't hear any Dax Riggs in that song, and I'm probably the biggest Dax fanboy on here. But it doesn't matter, cause this album rocks. It's definitely way mature and a grower. The title track is haunting as hell and boasts fantastic lyrics (from what I can make out, the vocal harmonies are constant). The chemistry between every member is awesome and you can really hear every instrument super well. The bass in particular is always shining. As for the whole doom/not doom thing, it's definitely pitch dark, but the actual doom riffing is rare.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:22 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

Now, now, don't get crazy; what people actually said was that there's a certain doomy quality to it and that one of the songs has kind of a Dax Riggs tinge in the vocal department (though personally I don't hear it). Sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't want you to have any false expectations when it comes to the album.

Well tbh, I've always heard a massive doom sound in all of AIC's stuff, including the singles from the new album I've heard so far, so in fact, I can confidently say that I won't be let down by that aspect. Dax on the other hand I could see being more far-fetched. Although again, there are a lot of parallels between AiC's music and Dax's music. Not so much tonally or structure wise, but in the atmosphere and attitude, yup. Both are very heavy and gloomy even if they're not what we would traditionally consider metal at all. When I think of my favorite non-metal artists, both pop in my head immediately along with a few others.

Necroticism174 wrote:
I don't hear any Dax Riggs in that song, and I'm probably the biggest Dax fanboy on here.
Sure about that Necro? ;)... Actually you probably are, because I'm willing to bet you have merch or have seen him live haha. But I would totally love it if he came to Syracuse.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:45 pm 

Absolutely sure ;)
Man I WISH I'd seen him live. He doesn't stray far from his home. I'll make the trip up some day.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
What's your favorite song on the album, guys? I think mine is the title track.

Low Ceiling

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:39 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:

The opening track aka the first single "Hollow", "Lab Monkey", "Phantom Limb" and "Hung on a Hook" are doom enough for me. "Stone" is stoner rock. Otherwise I'd agree with Burnyoursins that there's more droning doom than pounding doom.

Metantoine wrote:
AIC isn't doom :/ They're influenced by Sabbath but they're not doom metal and never were...

I'd call AiC part doom metal. If Type O is doom then AiC is partly doom as well. They blend doom metal, hard rock, blues with atmospheric tinges in a balanced way.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 am 

you guys can't hear the dax riggs when he says "sometimes people view the woooooorld"... ? ah, bugger! haha

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I don't hear any Dax Riggs in that song, and I'm probably the biggest Dax fanboy on here. But it doesn't matter, cause this album rocks. It's definitely way mature and a grower. The title track is haunting as hell and boasts fantastic lyrics (from what I can make out, the vocal harmonies are constant). The chemistry between every member is awesome and you can really hear every instrument super well. The bass in particular is always shining. As for the whole doom/not doom thing, it's definitely pitch dark, but the actual doom riffing is rare.

You wanna have a Dax Riggs fan-off? Hahahaha. Dude, Dax Riggs is my favourite vocalist AND songwriter. I have everything. All his demos, everything. Anyway! I absolutely agree with everything else. It SOUNDS doomy, is what I was trying to say. And that's what I love.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:01 am 

Do you own Golgotha? :evil: I even listen to Daisyhead and the Mooncrickets mothafucka. T-Daks is the man.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:56 am 

I'm a big fan of Acid Bath and Agents of Oblivion but I don't hear any similarities with Dax Riggs' vocals. Exactly which song are you guys talking about?

Edit - Oh my bad. Just noticed

Turner wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
For a moment there I thought Layne is back from his grave and singing on "Hung on a Hook". I don't know who's singing the leads on it Jerry or William, whoever did it it's a damn good emulation of Layne.

i thought it sounded more like dax riggs, heh. i never hear much layne in duvall's voice, and cantrell has always just been cantrell.

I haven't heard much Layne in DuVall's voice either but in that song somehow he/Cantrell, whoever it is sounded like Layne. Listen to Layne's vocals (Intro to the beginning of the verse) on "Love, Hate, Love". There's a distinct similarity to that on "Hung on a Hook".

On a side note what do you guys think about the new A Pale Horse Named Death (they have massive AiC influence) album? Since there's no thread for that why not discuss a bit here?

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Sat May 25, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:54 am 

I just listened to the full album and I think it's fucking great. One of the best of 2013 so far for me.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:06 pm 

I thought BGWTB was an incredible album. One of my all-time favorites. I've been listening to TDPDH for a day or so and I like it so far, but I think it's just going to take a few more listens before it really shines. Some albums are just that way.

DuVall and Cantrel's harmonies are so classic AiC, I love that they kept that sound when they got their new singer.

And on the topic of doom or not, I wouldn't call them doom metal at all, but I think calling them something like doomy hard rock would be fairly accurate. Although as doomster said, they blend doom, hard rock and blues in their music.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

The most accurate would be to call them Grunge! Because that's basically the style they play.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

693 wrote:
The most accurate would be to call them Grunge! Because that's basically the style they play.

I would ask you to define what grunge actually is, but no one wants to go down that route. Still; no, they're not grunge.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:11 pm 

From Wikipedia:

"Inspired by hardcore punk, heavy metal, and indie rock, grunge is generally characterized by heavily distorted electric guitars, contrasting song dynamics, and apathetic or angst-filled lyrics."

AiC also mentioned there, also Cantrells solo.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm 

"Wikipedia" LOL!

693, dude do some research yourself. 'Grunge' was actually a lame marketing term coined and sensationalized by Sub-Pop records and 90's media. Particularly AiC from the Seattle scene neither associated with Sub-Pop nor any of their members described their sound as 'grunge'. Specially Cantrell and Kinney always despised the term. In Cantrell's words (from a Guitar World interview) they are predominantly heavy metal with few other stylings such as rock n roll, blues and a touch of punk.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:29 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
693 wrote:

I would ask you to define what grunge actually is, but no one wants to go down that route. Still; no, they're not grunge.

Heu? Of course they are, they're heavy metal/hard rock/grunge. Grunge isn't only Nirvana, ya know? They're part of the scene and they have obvious ties with Soundgarden and anyway, Grunge is more a scene than anything else but it's also in their sound. Saying they're grunge is historical revisionism.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 pm 

Tony, as far as I'm concerned, the term "grunge" is much too loose and vague to actually be used as a genre label. There were certain aesthetic similarities between the bands who belonged to that scene, yes, but they were also far too different from each other to say that grunge is a established musical style.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:50 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
There were certain aesthetic similarities between the bands who belonged to that scene, yes, but they were also far too different from each other to say that grunge is a established musical style.

That's literally what I said, the term still applies even if you think it doesn't. We still use NWOBHM as a genre/tag and even though Grunge doesn't concern that many bands, it's still totally valid. I'm not saying "Alice in Chains is Grunge" but removing the term altogether to define them is simply wrong.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:06 pm 

Mmmmmm..... Yeah, maybe it's a bit rash to get rid of the term completely. I still don't feel comfortable applying it to AIC though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:51 pm 

AIC is a rock band. They have lots of other elements mixed in, but overall I'd just say they're a straight up rock band at the end of the day. Playing with lots of other genres at times, but still.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:49 pm 

Just like Motorhead are a rock band :p

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
AIC is a rock band. They have lots of other elements mixed in, but overall I'd just say they're a straight up rock band at the end of the day. Playing with lots of other genres at times, but still.

That's a little simplistic, I thought you were a nerd! Metal is rock music!!!!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next