Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:36 pm 

Last night I finished the PC indie game Imscared (not a typo). Horror fans should stop whatever they are doing and check it out now.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Last night I finished the PC indie game Imscared (not a typo). Horror fans should stop whatever they are doing and check it out now.

Months ago, I watched a commentator play it. Damn, he has a knack for making a joke out of horror games.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:44 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
unlike the PS4 conferance which was basically all games.

I can only see this as a positive thing. What's more important on a gaming console? Fucking HBO and Netflix, or the fucking games?

I can't say i really give a shit about HBO or netflix on my console, but the conference was essentially a console reveal not a game reveal. That's what E3 is for like in a couple of weeks or whenever it is.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 pm 

Everything known about the Xbox One: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/x ... -dont-know

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Win-win if you ask me. It's not like a few XBLA titles are going to bring over pc-users to the 360 at this point. This way I'm enjoying Mark of the Ninja and they get my money still.

Not necessarily PC users, sure, but if someone's looking to buy a console, they might go for the one with the most exclusives, preferably some they can't play on the computer they already own. Sure, these people might not have a gaming PC but XBLA games are probably not very demanding generally. I suppose it's kind of a moot point at the end of the console cycle though... especially since the new consoles are not backward-compatible. -_-

failsafeman wrote:
Honestly I have to say the non-gameplay aspects of Dust look pretty stupid. For example, the cutesy flying sidekick who serves as "hilarious" comic relief

Heh, Fidget, yeah. She can be annoying, or occasionally amusing, though her voice-acting is generally fairly grating throughout. Not the game's best point admittedly, but easy enough to overlook in favor of the great gameplay. Overall I'd rank it above Bastion for sure (though that's also a fine game).

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:24 am 

Looks like the next generation will be Nintendo vs. Sony. Awesome.

Sony will win with consoles and Nintendo the handhelds. Microsoft will go the way of Sega.

I personally won't get a PS4 until the first good game, cause what's the point? It's not backwards compatible.

No Vita until memory cards are a reasonable price.

PC gaming very likely for me next generation.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 am 

If you honestly think it's going to be Nintendo vs. Sony then you are delusional.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:55 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

Months ago, I watched a commentator play it. Damn, he has a knack for making a joke out of horror games.

penguinz0 is probably my favorite game commentator, and probably the only one I actually pay attention to.
Also, I must ask Nochielo, were you being sarcastic?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:34 pm 

Not at all, man. A very unique, well crafted experience, essentially a battle in two fronts (you'll see what I mean). It's more impressive to consider the amount of content this guy put into just over 3 (count 'em) megabytes. Definitely worth a look.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 pm 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Amazon-de

:| If Mirror's Edge 2 is gonna be Xbox exclusive I'm gonna start a riot.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 pm 

Just finished Tomb Raider. I liked how gritty the game was, even if the story wasn't exactly the greatest thing ever. The gameplay mostly reminded me of a less awesome but more brutal Uncharted. You can die in messed up ways in this game. The gameplay is very much stealth/gunning depending on how you're feeling and the upgrades + survival aspects were well implemented I believe. The climbing feels stiffer than Uncharted but I can chalk that up to Lara Croft being in terrible condition for the whole thing. Seriously, she gets some real punishment and the fact that she survives is basically Bruce Willis in the last Die Hard like. Anyways, the puzzles were very rewarding but the combat never really became difficult. Overall a pretty good game.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Just finished Tomb Raider. I liked how gritty the game was, even if the story wasn't exactly the greatest thing ever. The gameplay mostly reminded me of a less awesome but more brutal Uncharted. You can die in messed up ways in this game. The gameplay is very much stealth/gunning depending on how you're feeling and the upgrades + survival aspects were well implemented I believe. The climbing feels stiffer than Uncharted but I can chalk that up to Lara Croft being in terrible condition for the whole thing. Seriously, she gets some real punishment and the fact that she survives is basically Bruce Willis in the last Die Hard like. Anyways, the puzzles were very rewarding but the combat never really became difficult. Overall a pretty good game.

Dude I purchased it recently and got up to the beach when you get the kickass bow. School work was getting heavy so I had to stop, but I was definitely enjoying it. I never had that much fun shooting a bow and arrow in a game in a while. The CQC with the ice axe rules hard. This was a series that desperately needed a reboot, and going gritty sure as hell was the right direction.

I did end up playing Heart of the Swarm recently though since it's easier to play a mission or two at a time, and this year's female leads are certainly getting one-ups over male leads.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:24 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
If you honestly think it's going to be Nintendo vs. Sony then you are delusional.

Or just underestimating the number of fanboys and sheep out there. :wink:

I can't see why any smart shopper would ever want Microsoft over Sony or Nintendo or PC now.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 am 

There are also a lot of people who don't do research and buy products based on how much they liked the last one. When they find out that everything is behind a paywall, they simply accept it and just pay.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 am 

Honestly I don't think Nintendo is really "competing" with other consoles or PC anymore. The reason people buy Nintendo consoles are for the unique games they offer, which are usually of a very different flavor from the other consoles' games - Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc. etc. People who want those games buy a Nintendo, people who don't, don't. Nobody buys a Nintendo system to play the latest COD, and everyone I know who owns a Wii also owns a PS3 or a 360. I don't know anyone who owns both a PS3 and a 360.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am 

Unfortunately Xbox will never go the way of Sega, we have long sailed from that age of choice. The best outcome is them losing the numbers, which might make them switch their gameplan and actually listen to their users. It's refreshing to see such outright hatred at Xbox One and all it's flaws, makes me think that most people aren't blind spoon-fed pigs with an attraction to whatever's new.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 am 

http://n4g.com/news/1263854/amazon-uk-w ... one-reveal

So this happened.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 am 

While we can't really know there is a causal link between the events, no one can deny the hilarity.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:19 am 

So, I think I will give "The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing" a shot. I like me some hack'n'slash action now and then and I have been itching to play a game in this style since I finished Torchlight 2. The game looks big enough and with enough loot, crafting, question to be worth investing time in. Will report back if it turns out to be a horrible POS.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 am 

I think Nintendo is playing it smart here. Xbox putting always online DRM bullshit on their system and making used games unplayable is only giving Nintendo a bigger reason not to put that stuff on their stuff. Hopefully, Sony follows the same idea.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:18 am 

Subrick wrote:
http://n4g.com/news/1263854/amazon-uk-wii-u-sales-rank-jumps-875-following-microsofts-xbox-one-reveal

So this happened.

Hah. Nintendo's employee of the month is Microsoft.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:25 am 

This was circulating as something Sony made, but it turns out to be a fake. Still pretty goddamn funny though.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:47 am 

Metro: Last Light is awesome. That is all.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 am 

Datenschutzbeauftragter Peter Schaar calls the Xbox One a monitoring device.
:thumbsup:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:32 am 

Anyone else think that the things some people are saying the Xbox One will lead to are kinda overblown? Yes, I think the public backlash the console has received so far will impact the first day sales significantly and I don't think Microsoft will be first place in the console wars for this next generation, even with their backpedaling on a lot of the more controversial elements of the system, but saying that the Xbox One will lead to Microsoft going the way of Sega or, even more ridiculously, that the console will lead to a 1983 level video game industry crash is just shortsighted and foolish. Gaming is too much of a behemoth of an industry nowadays for it to crash on the same scale that it did in 1983, plus you have to remember that the crash of '83 was not due to any one isolated incident; it was the result of gradual market over-saturation over the course of a few years culminating in the failed releases of two major games on one console.

As for the Xbox One failing like the Dreamcast did thus causing Microsoft to leave the console game, those are two completely different, not even comparable situations. Sega got off to a shitty start on the Dreamcast after the failures of the Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn, and the Dreamcast was completely overshadowed by the PS2's release. Microsoft has, and always will be, an absolute giant in the software and hardware industry, and has yet to have a major flop in regards to either the original Xbox or the 360. Also, remember that the PS3 got off to a pretty rough start as well (although with nowhere near as big and violent a backlash as the XB1 has gotten so far), and it eventually found its footing.

So yeah, neither scenario of Microsoft's new system spectacularly failing so as to make Microsoft leave the console industry or to completely destroy the gaming industry entirely will happen.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

Trying to 100% Lego Batman. Just finished the Super Villain storyline. Those mini-kits are going to be a bitch though -_-

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:00 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I don't know anyone who owns both a PS3 and a 360.

Our household has all three. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm 

Yeah, well, I don't know anyone who owns a yacht, either!

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:38 pm 

I'm considering having a reball job done for my 60GB PS3 that's been collecting dust for a couple of years due to YLOD. Anyone here have any experience with this? Reballing specifically, not reflow.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Anyone else think that the things some people are saying the Xbox One will lead to are kinda overblown? Yes, I think the public backlash the console has received so far will impact the first day sales significantly and I don't think Microsoft will be first place in the console wars for this next generation, even with their backpedaling on a lot of the more controversial elements of the system, but saying that the Xbox One will lead to Microsoft going the way of Sega or, even more ridiculously, that the console will lead to a 1983 level video game industry crash is just shortsighted and foolish. Gaming is too much of a behemoth of an industry nowadays for it to crash on the same scale that it did in 1983, plus you have to remember that the crash of '83 was not due to any one isolated incident; it was the result of gradual market over-saturation over the course of a few years culminating in the failed releases of two major games on one console.

As for the Xbox One failing like the Dreamcast did thus causing Microsoft to leave the console game, those are two completely different, not even comparable situations. Sega got off to a shitty start on the Dreamcast after the failures of the Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn, and the Dreamcast was completely overshadowed by the PS2's release. Microsoft has, and always will be, an absolute giant in the software and hardware industry, and has yet to have a major flop in regards to either the original Xbox or the 360. Also, remember that the PS3 got off to a pretty rough start as well (although with nowhere near as big and violent a backlash as the XB1 has gotten so far), and it eventually found its footing.

So yeah, neither scenario of Microsoft's new system spectacularly failing so as to make Microsoft leave the console industry or to completely destroy the gaming industry entirely will happen.

You have to remember too... The internet gaming community is fairly small compared to the overall market. Sure there is bad press and negativity on places like reddit and other websites, but there's also considerable negativity about the likes of EA and Activision (as two examples) and they are still doing terrific as companies. It's easy to get lost in the internet echo chamber, but you have to realize that gaming is not just for gamers anymore. It's very casual and most consumers who don't spend their time on sites like IGN, gamespot or reddit ARE (believe it or not) interested in features like netflix, apps, social media integration, etc. It's tough to say how people will react, but I have the funny feeling that Xbox One won't do nearly as bad as some gaming communities think it will (just like lots of universally panned things like Diablo 3 and SimCity 5, although I recognize this is on a bigger scale).

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:11 am 

Has anyone seen the prices Xenoblade is already fetching on eBay? Looks like we have a modern day Earthbound on our hands at this rate...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:55 am 

New project from Earthworm Jim creator http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194 ... _spotlight
This would be awesome if it wasn't a point & click adventure.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:25 am 

Hmmm, that makes it even more awesome. I'll keep my eye on that game...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:29 am 

Oh, The Neverhood was really cool. I'm surprised it's getting a sequel(ish) but it seems to be making good money, so rad!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 am 

Playing Spec Ops: The Line. My impression so far: Combat is fun and engaging enough to keep me going, but it's also utterly forgettable. For a game that has many of the elements of a quality tactical shooter like Brothers In Arms for example, there sure is nearly no strategy required (or feasible) to win the firefights. Lots of wasted potential there if you ask me.

Many have pointed out that story and setting are what make this game. I can confirm this so far.

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 pm 

Xbox One flew over the cuckoo's nest

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 pm 

Someone's been creating a pretty awesome looking Timesplitters mod for UT2004 and just released a trailer for it:
Spoiler: show

Unfortuantely so far Crytek won't allow the release of this mod for whatever reason, so hopefully with some support and this trailer showing how good it is, it will become available...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm 

Currently playing the latest Devil May Cry game. It's very much everything I expected. I started on the hardest available difficulty and the potential for awesome combos is endless.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 pm 

Anyone else ever get into that mode where you refuse to play a game because an upcoming patch/expansion pack just seems too awesome?

I can't play Civ5 or Path of Exile because I know how much better they will be in a few days, haha.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:45 am 

Dark Souls II is slated for March, another batch of concept art is up.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:09 am 

:hyper:

Boob plate, though? :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495 ... 940  Next