Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:45 pm 

Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. I love certain tracks and think that the vocals fit very well at times, but for whatever reason sometimes I just can't take the King seriously. The over the top falsetto is comical at times. I'm not sure that is exactly what the band is going for, but regardless of its intention, it detracts from the music as a whole for me. I respect Mercyful Fate and understand their importance and am thus somewhat swayed into liking them more than I actually do because I really want to be a fan.

Like I said, there are certain tracks that I like very much, enough for me to say that I love them even, but some that I just can't listen to. It is extremely varied for me.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
Hypocrisy. I cant tell if they are trying to be like Slipknot or trying to be a legitimate death metal band. The new album is good. But only if Im really into the mood for it. I much prefer their earlier material like "Osculum Obscenum".

I like their first couple with Tagtgren on vocals...still legit death metal with a touch more diversity/melody compared with the first two. The other albums are quite inconsistent for me as well

http://youtu.be/SGHIsalgYRA

my last.fm

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:17 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
Hypocrisy. I cant tell if they are trying to be like Slipknot or trying to be a legitimate death metal band.

o_O
Genuine curiosity, but how do you get that impression?

Kveldulfr wrote:
Primordial has that problem that they don't know when to finish the songs, cause they repeat a lot some sections. Also, while Nemtheanga's delivery is very passionate, it's kinda monotonous as well, especially on the last 2 albums.

I recommend you 'A Journey's End'.

Why thank you, I'll likely get around to listening to it very soon. I really want to like this band, almost irrationally so.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:37 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
So I'm debating on ordering a couple CDs from http://www.witchinghour.pl they are like 5 Euros each so I might just give them a shot anyway.

Galgeras - I can only find 1 song from his album online and a bunch of demo songs, it sounds decent.

Alghazanth - Known about this band for a long time and they sound great, but might have too much keyboard for me...

anyone have any thoughts on these 2 bands?

I don't know Galgeras, but for Alghazanth try the song Moving Mountains. That's a really cool song, very melodic but chaotic at the same time

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. I love certain tracks and think that the vocals fit very well at times, but for whatever reason sometimes I just can't take the King seriously. The over the top falsetto is comical at times. I'm not sure that is exactly what the band is going for, but regardless of its intention, it detracts from the music as a whole for me. I respect Mercyful Fate and understand their importance and am thus somewhat swayed into liking them more than I actually do because I really want to be a fan.

Like I said, there are certain tracks that I like very much, enough for me to say that I love them even, but some that I just can't listen to. It is extremely varied for me.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if Melissa and Don't break the oath were instrumental, King's vocals are ok but the leads and sheer power of the riffs and songs are just as important if not more than King's offputting vocals.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Khalian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 pm 

slayer85 wrote:
Hypocrisy. I cant tell if they are trying to be like Slipknot or trying to be a legitimate death metal band. The new album is good. But only if Im really into the mood for it. I much prefer their earlier material like "Osculum Obscenum".

have you listened to Virus? I'm also iffy on a lot of their material (particularly their later works), but this album is gold and easily my favorite by them.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 pm 

Varth wrote:
I really want to like Absu but I can't, there is something extremely girly about the way they either play or the way Proscriptor sings. I recognize they are respected and very talented but there is something repellent about them to me. But at the same time I feel that I should be listening to it.

Can I ask what albums you have listened to by them? I'm not too fond of the albums after Tara, but before that they have a "dirty" sound to them that hardly sound "Girly"

i.e., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fZf2IP5lM

my last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3