Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 am 

Sorry if there is already a topic for this, but the purpose of this one is to ask and answer questions regarding gossip, situations, stories etc about metal.

For instance, a few burning questions I have:

-What really happened that caused all those artists to leave Magic Circle Music and revert back to their original names (ie Majesty, Rhapsody). I think it's almost universally agreed that Joey is a douche, but what actually transpired between these bands and him for things to come to that? And why did they have to change names in the first place?

-Messiah and Candlemass - Was he really so difficult do work with as the rest of Candlemass claim? I read something about his ego, but what really went on that made him depart the second time after just one album?

-Is the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate DVD still happening, are things just progressing slowly after KD's surgery/back problems

-Kothaar and Vvornth - the archives states that it was a collective of musicians that were credited on Bathory albums. So they weren't actual individual people? Did Quorthon play all the instruments anyway? Where did the choir sounds come from for his Viking albums? I always assumed he was a one man band.

Anyone know more about these things or have any other questions that people can answer?

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:33 am 

The biggest one for me is the pressure of the band to kick out Bob Rusay out of Cannibal Corpse. The band said on the Centuries of Torment DVD that he was having a difficult ability adjusting to the increasingly technical nature of the material, yet from older clips I've seen he played the songs better if not on par with Barret. Its unfortunate seeing as how his riffs from the first three CC albums are unquestionably the best in the band's material, the decline in material after The Bleeding is no surprise seeing as how Barret and Owens were not able to even come close to those old school and often times crushing Cannibal groove from the first three records. What personal strife ultimately led the band to kick him out, as at least to me Rusay was a superior guitarist to either of his successors. The immediate worthlessness of the subsequent albums is testament to this, had he stayed in the band maybe the middle career of Cannibal would've sucked a little less.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 145593
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 am 

I sometimes wonder about Ildjarn if he's still alive or not. I remember in his interviews almost ten years ago he said he should be dead in five years or so and will live out the rest of his days in a cabin completely isolated from the world. I wonder if he's still doing that or died already or something.

And I sometimes wonder of the status of some bands like Nortt and Wigrid who just dissapeared after their last respective releases and there hasn't been any news from them since.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 am 

Why did Chuck Biscuits quit playing drums.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 am 

What the fuck happened to Dag Nilsen?

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 am 

gabber wrote:
-Is the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate DVD still happening, are things just progressing slowly after KD's surgery/back problems

Hahaa. That's so sad it's funny. It's been what, 10+ years for that rumour? Only the real hardcore fans on the KD forum still believe that load of crap (that a live MF DVD will see the light of day.)
Allegedly there is good, old live material. But after that there are so many excuses as to why it hasn't been released it makes you head swim. Same with a new MF album.

In the end I think the boss just has no interest in that any more and wants to move on..

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 am 

Ericfg wrote:
gabber wrote:

Hahaa. That's so sad it's funny. It's been what, 10+ years for that rumour? Only the real hardcore fans on the KD forum still believe that load of crap (that a live MF DVD will see the light of day.)
Allegedly there is good, old live material. But after that there are so many excuses as to why it hasn't been released it makes you head swim. Same with a new MF album.

In the end I think the boss just has no interest in that any more and wants to move on..

Ten years indeed! He's had the heart surgery and the back injury, granted, but I'm sure he doesn't need to be that involved.. just supply the footage, tell the production company how he wants it and done! So yeah I agree.. he's just not into the idea anymore. Which is kind of depressing, because I had heard it was planned to be a double disc set, one with KD stuff the other with MF.

It's so frustrating that it actually hurts.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:46 am 

One of metal's greatest Mysteriis is Mayhem's first full length.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:51 am 

I guess what was happening inside The Temple of Fullmoon circle during its days in Poland. Their activities supposedly would have outshined all of the Norwegian crimes had they seen the light of the day, but apparently the members were aware spreading the word will get them even into deeper shit. I'm a huge fan of the music from this era, hearing some stories would surely spice things up a bit. Darken has been saying something that he might talk more about it in some interview or book, let's see... One of the stories was for example when Samoth of Emperor threatened one of the guys in Mysteries who has been using same nick as him, sent them some photo with sword looking angry. Mysteries then sent him a photo of themselves with real automatic guns and Samoth never replied...

Also, the whole Quorthon persona is mysterious.

Last edited by vengefulgoat on Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:56 am 

what i'd like to know is what really happened between anata & earache and will anata ever be back or release that darned new album

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am 

There's the whole "Kevin Moore & Dream Theater" thing which has probably been discussed to death and twenty resurrections in every single DT-related circle, but I don't think we'll ever really find out what and why happened then.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 am 

I know I said this in my 'Mission Impossible' thread, but:
- Replacing Bruce Dickinson with Blaze Bailey. While I love 'The X Factor' (the least said about 'Virtual XI' the better) it seems they went out of their way to find a vocalist with a radically different style and who was unable to sing the old stuff in a half-decent way.

- What happened to Glen Benton's voice from 'Scars of the crucifix' onwards? I love his vocals on the first four albums but after that it just got (and remains) terrible...

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
There's the whole "Kevin Moore & Dream Theater" thing which has probably been discussed to death and twenty resurrections in every single DT-related circle, but I don't think we'll ever really find out what and why happened then.

Everything you need to know.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:56 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
One of the stories was for example when Samoth of Emperor threatened one of the guys in Mysteries who has been using same nick as him, sent them some photo with sword looking angry. Mysteries then sent him a photo of themselves with real automatic guns and Samoth never replied...

I know internet lingo is frowned upon here, but I have no reaction to this other than "lmfao".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 am 

Lagartija wrote:
I know I said this in my 'Mission Impossible' thread, but:
- Replacing Bruce Dickinson with Blaze Bailey. While I love 'The X Factor' (the least said about 'Virtual XI' the better) it seems they went out of their way to find a vocalist with a radically different style and who was unable to sing the old stuff in a half-decent way.

How is that a mystery? They wanted someone who sounded different because they didn't just want to find a carbon copy of Bruce - it's a stylistic choice.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 am 

My favorite story is the one where Ritchie Blackmore and Joe Lynn Turner first met their new bus driver. Their regular guy was out on vacation, so they got a new guy to do the tour, who was not only a bus driver but also a pilot. When the new driver walked in, Ritchie (who, apparently was into witchcraft or something to that effect at the time), commented to Joe that he had "a black aura", and that there was no way that he was going to let the guy drive their bus. So, they kick the guy off and pay their regular guy extra to postpone his vacation due to Ritchie's superstition. It turns out that that bus driver with the "black aura" was none other than Andrew Aycock...the guy who would go on to fly the plane and cause the crash that killed Randy Rhoads.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 am 

Lagartija wrote:

- What happened to Glen Benton's voice from 'Scars of the crucifix' onwards? I love his vocals on the first four albums but after that it just got (and remains) terrible...

I think his days with Vital Remains changed him. VR was way more brutal than Deicide and he tried to deliver more guttural growls. You can hear this change a bit on the Insineratehymn - ITIH albums. Glen might be onedimensional, but his growl seems fine to me, especially live.

Some mysteries:

-What happened to Hat (Gorgoroth)? the guy was an excellent vocalist and just dissapeared.

-Why in hell Samoth is like a session member on the last Emperor album? I know Ihsahn wrote alone the music on Prometheus, but how they came to that? until IX Equilibrium, both Ihsahn and Samoth delivered like 50-50% of the music, so why Samoth allowed Ihsahn to write Prometheus alone? while the album itself is not bad, it doesn't feel much like an Emperor effort.

-Arcturus released a 'remastered' version of Aspera with different vocal tracks in some songs. So, if Garm refused to scream forever (that's why Ihsahn provided vocals for Radical Cut in The Sham Mirrors, who was released before the remaster), from where those vocals came? The screams are different from the original Aspera and are more similar to what Garm did on Borknagar's The Olden Domain, even more vicious I dare to say. Also, the cleans shows a more modern style, like the changes you can hear in Wintry Grey. The band claims that they only used stuff from the original recordings and some takes that were ditched were now included - like the guitar solo at the beginning of The Bodkin and The Quietus.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Why in hell Samoth is like a session member on the last Emperor album? I know Ihsahn wrote alone the music on Prometheus, but how they came to that? until IX Equilibrium, both Ihsahn and Samoth delivered like 50-50% of the music, so why Samoth allowed Ihsahn to write Prometheus alone? while the album itself is not bad, it doesn't feel much like an Emperor effort.

I believe that's a factor in what brought on the split of Emperor. Ihsahn sort of worked alone in composing that, which continued on to his solo efforts, while the material Samoth was writing at the time became Zyklon's "World ov Worms", which was Samoth and Trym working together. Seems like those two diverging paths led to the split of the band and one album written by Ihsahn, and another with Samoth and Trym (with Destructhor).

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 am 

Also, Zephyrous. Needs to come back and drag Nocturno and Fenriz back from the wimp side.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:15 am 

How Paul DiAnno didn't spin his split from Maiden into a solo success in the 80s. Blaze fared a little better (quality albums) but I hear he is broke too. And they BOTH turned into Uncle Fester. Meanwhile, Bruce is chipper and healthy.

Why Sabbath fucked Ronnie on the Dehumanizer tour..

Why 5th tier thrash bands bother reuniting...

I don't care about the KD/MF DVDs, just get a new album out.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:23 am 

Exigence wrote:
How Paul DiAnno didn't spin his split from Maiden into a solo success in the 80s. Blaze fared a little better (quality albums) but I hear he is broke too. And they BOTH turned into Uncle Fester. Meanwhile, Bruce is chipper and healthy.

I've no clue about DiAnno, but in case of Blaze it's probably the case of a lot of ignorant people blaming him for the weaker Maiden period (it did start changing eventually, but how much time did that take), which is why he wasn't/isn't as popular as he in my opinion should be. (Come on his voice is fucking awesome and unique.) As for health... you know, after what Blaze was through, in my opinion he has absolute balls of steel. I admit I would have probably completely broken down if the same happened to me. It shows incredible strength that he found a way forward and continues making music.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:39 am 

Seconding Ildjarn. After how much he blathered about how he hates children because they offer a future for the human race I'm a bit creeped out at the possibility of no one knowing what he's up to, though that former bit was likely just posturing.

-Why Wilska got kicked out of Finntroll. Supposedly he was just a jerk or something. His vocals were pretty solid, but the songwriting in general took a major step up with Vreth onboard, so I can't say I minded his departure.

-Cradle of Filth never releasing "Goetia" as their first album, though it probably sounded like a transition between their death metal demos and the atmosphere-tinged stuff that showed up on Principle.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 pm 

- where the hell did Bob Rusay (ex-Cannibal Corpse) go ? did he really switch from death metal to golf ??

- and where is Dave Suzuki ? he also seemed to have vanished for some reason

- What's with Ralph Santolla and the whole cross-dressing issue ? :D

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
-Why Wilska got kicked out of Finntroll. Supposedly he was just a jerk or something. His vocals were pretty solid, but the songwriting in general took a major step up with Vreth onboard, so I can't say I minded his departure.

Definitely seconding this. I happened to see the last live gig of Wilska-era Finntroll and was thoroughly perplexed. Whatever the animosity was between him and the rest of the band certainly didn't show up on stage. They seemed to have a lot of chemistry with one another and when they announced his departure a day or two later, it came as a huge shock.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 pm 

some more

- who was really in control of the writing process for Illud Divinum Insanus ??? Trey or David ???

- is the next Necrophagist album ever gonna happen ???

Last edited by Machine_Dead on Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
- where the hell did Bob Rusay (ex-Cannibal Corpse) go ? did he really switch from death metal to golf ??

In fairness, metal and golf needn't be mutually exclusive: http://www.golfclevelandohio.com/nicko- ... lewood.jpg

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 pm 

Exigence wrote:
How Paul DiAnno didn't spin his split from Maiden into a solo success in the 80s.

I think he actually did try doing so; I know he had the Di'Anno band in the mid-80s that was very not metal but Battlezone was pretty solid. I think he just had the unfortunate luck of not starting Battlezone immediately after leaving Maiden.

As for Blaze Bayley, I think it was a combination of his reputation and only going by the Blaze name for his first three albums. I did hear that he eventually switched to using his full name because fans didn't know what he was doing and couldn't find him due to the vague name. Unfortunate, considering how everything up to The King Of Metal was the best metal that the 21st century has had to offer.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
some more

- who was really in control of the writing process for Illud Divinum Insanus ??? Trey or David ???

Trey wrote everything except 10 more Dead and Blades for Baal, which were written by Thor. Dave had nothing to do with the songwriting, excepting that he's all in for experimentation so he didn't stop Trey and his wacky ideas, as Pete would. I would even say that Trey had this album in mind for quite some time but he knew Pete wouldn't approve it. His back problems were the perfect time to record and release Illud using a hired gun. Also, Trey has been into electronic music for ages.

Machine_Dead wrote:
-

- and where is Dave Suzuki ? he also seemed to have vanished for some reason

Dave has a new band called Churchburn. Check it out on youtube.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:26 pm 

Azordon wrote:
I sometimes wonder about Ildjarn if he's still alive or not. I remember in his interviews almost ten years ago he said he should be dead in five years or so and will live out the rest of his days in a cabin completely isolated from the world. I wonder if he's still doing that or died already or something.

I guess he is still alive. There is a split cd of unrealesed Ildjarn/Hate Forest songs in the works by Osmose Productions, and Vidar apparently approved it. Or so I've heard.

Definetly seconding Zephyrous and Hat. They dropped from the face of earth. I'm surprised, specially with all the attention Scandinavian bm has been receiving lately, with all the documentaries and so on, no one ever tried to track them down. Zephyrous in particular, played in all of the legendary Darkthrone releases, and not even Fenriz knows where he is.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:35 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
One of metal's greatest Mysteriis is Mayhem's first full length.

I love you

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm 

Is the Boss really Quorthon's father? when are we receiving a new Mayhem full length? and seriously, what the fuck is Muhummad Suicmez doing? I don't like Necrophagist's music, but what is he even doing with the band now?

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:54 pm 

- what the original recording of Deicide's "Legion" must have sounded like
- whether Immortal's "Battles in the north" master tape has been tampered with speed-/pitchwise

more to come later...

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm 

Monitoring closely.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm 

Is Lykathea Aflame going to release a new album. And in case they decide to do so, what is going to be its sound?

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:21 pm 

What happened/happens to the second Control Denied album? Since 2010 every few months or so they say that they are working on it, but to me it doesn't seem that they are acutally doing very much because aside from a single picture showing Shanon Hamm in a studio no material/information has been published. Oh, and every few days some fan asks for news on the recording process, but not a single one of them ever got an answer.

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 pm 

What happened to Hat from Gorgoroth?
the peacefulness is so big it dazes you.
- Sylvia Plath

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:23 pm 

When is Agent Steel going to release a new album?

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 pm 

Ozzy will die in 20__?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 pm 

Regarding Hat:

I googled his real name and found a guy that matched the metal-archives profile (born 1969, from Western Norway), but who really knows if it's him?

On Gorgoroth's forums - which apparently don't exist anymore - I remember there was a thread about a rumour that told that Hat killed himself. One of the board members e-mailed Infernus, and he replied that he was alive and well.

So... alive and well, and obviously not involved with black metal anymore.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:30 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Ozzy will die in 20__?

I just hope he dies before tony, so ozzy can't ruin sabbath's name.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next