Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
What is some groovy death metal in the vein of Bolt Thrower, Jungle Rot, and Toxocara about warfare/world war I/world war II/death/destruction. There is a ton, and that is the reason I'm asking. I already know about the ones I've mentioned and also Hail of Bullets.

Scroll up a few posts to where I linked Decaying. Groovy Death metal with a doom influence and war themes.

War Master is Bolt Thrower Worship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2XxW1WXR4

Warmaster is also pretty much Bolt Thrower worship and includes the war themes, specifically WWI. Yes there are 2 Bolt Thrower worship bands of the same name...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSqtpHUJBQ

Spearhead is groovy death/black metal with war themes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUesEXw4ogc

V:28 is another one with a very atmospheric and industrial feel to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrfw2ZeKdtY

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 am 

Looking for bands like Bloodsoaked and Putrid Pile(minus the guttural vocals).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 am 

Warmasters sound pretty good, but are there Bolt Thrower like bands that use fast blast beats? One thing that would really improve old Bolty would be some drawn out sections of intense blasting, like on Drawn And Quartered's album Merciless Hammer of Lucifer, or this, although that's quite blackened already.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am 

Took me a minute to get to these but I hate when people ask for recs and then never come back to say what they thought of them so... better late than never!!

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Degial, Chapel Of Disease, Ensnared and Lantern. Lantern will be the least Morbid Angel influenced, but well worth hearing - and they have a new full length out.

Wasn't too big on Lantern actually, disappointing since they've been getting so much praise all over, OH WELL. Chapel of Disease and especially Ensnared were raaaaaaaaaaaaaad! Need to see if I can snag one of those demos from Nuclear Winter. Degial isn't as straight forward as I'd like but I still dig it.

colin040 wrote:
Revenant from the US.

This was pretty good too though a little slower than the rest, I checked Prophecies of a Dying World, any of their other releases in particular worth checking?

shouvince wrote:
Orator

This was rad too! Vocals weren't my favorite but definitely not a deal breaker and I do love some thrashing!

Thanks dudes, the recs were much appreciated!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Looking for bands like Bloodsoaked and Putrid Pile(minus the guttural vocals).

Dyscarnate, Bile of Man, Volturyon, Blood Red Throne, Torture Division, Fetus Stench, Bodyfarm.. um let me know if you want more

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Warmasters sound pretty good, but are there Bolt Thrower like bands that use fast blast beats? One thing that would really improve old Bolty would be some drawn out sections of intense blasting, like on Drawn And Quartered's album Merciless Hammer of Lucifer, or this, although that's quite blackened already.

Maybe try Audio Kollaps? They definitely have some crust/grind in the mix but obviously have a giant Bolt Thrower influence in the vocals and riffing.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Revenant from the US.

This was pretty good too though a little slower than the rest, I checked Prophecies of a Dying World, any of their other releases in particular worth checking?

It's their only album?! :oh shit: Well, I guess you could check The Burning Ground as well.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
What is some groovy death metal in the vein of Bolt Thrower, Jungle Rot, and Toxocara about warfare/world war I/world war II/death/destruction. There is a ton, and that is the reason I'm asking. I already know about the ones I've mentioned and also Hail of Bullets.

A bit out of the way of things but you could check Calm Hatchery's debut, as it revolves around the African campaign during WWII. It's like a groovier Vader, I think you'll like it.

On a separate note, where can I find some samples of Imprecation's sophomore to be?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:48 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Maybe try Audio Kollaps? They definitely have some crust/grind in the mix but obviously have a giant Bolt Thrower influence in the vocals and riffing.

Thanks, this sounds really cool. It definitely has punk vibes, but it's mainly in the drumming.

I checked out Degial, I really enjoyed the first riff of Eye Of Burial Tempest - that's exactly what I was looking for when I requested death metal with great melodies. The rest of Death's Striking Wings was not very captivating. Some killer riffs here and there, but mostly just the first song rules (even where the riffs aren't melodic or even tonal).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:10 pm 

I reckon you were looking for some genuine Bolt Throwerish death metal with regular death metal blasting drums, but that was the closest thing I could think of apart from stuff you'd already know, like Slugathor (who I've always felt were like an evil, Demigod-ish Bolt Thrower). Glad you like it anyway, it's cool stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:18 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

Scroll up a few posts to where I linked Decaying. Groovy Death metal with a doom influence and war themes.

War Master is Bolt Thrower Worship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2XxW1WXR4

Warmaster is also pretty much Bolt Thrower worship and includes the war themes, specifically WWI. Yes there are 2 Bolt Thrower worship bands of the same name...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSqtpHUJBQ

Spearhead is groovy death/black metal with war themes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUesEXw4ogc

V:28 is another one with a very atmospheric and industrial feel to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrfw2ZeKdtY

I like the sound of War Master. Too bad they only have 1 album :cry:. The others were rather average. Checking out Decaying right now.

EDIT: I like Decaying also.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:15 am 

I'm not sure if anyone on here is looking for some neo-classical influenced Technical death metal with some progressive/melodic elements but if so, give First fragment a listen to. Also, they're from Quebec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdcgmWZF ... 876D953079

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 am 

Is there any band out that comes close to the speed and brutality of Hour of Penance? I seem to find myself in a rut of always listening to this band. Especially their last 3 releases. I know Vengeful (CAN) somehow come close. In any case, I need more bands like Hour of Penance. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

*EDIT - In essence, I am looking for fierce death metal in the Hour Of Penance vein. Punishing and crushing songwriting and riffs that know how to utilize a blast beat. This song alone should speak volumes of what I seek.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:29 am 

luxul wrote:
Is there any band out that comes close to the speed and brutality of Hour of Penance? I seem to find myself in a rut of always listening to this band. Especially their last 3 releases. I know Vengeful (CAN) somehow come close. In any case, I need more bands like Hour of Penance. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

*EDIT - In essence, I am looking for fierce death metal in the Hour Of Penance vein. Punishing and crushing songwriting and riffs that know how to utilize a blast beat. This song alone should speak volumes of what I seek.

Lost Soul always reminds me of Hour of Penance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHZk9LVY0s

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 am 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
luxul wrote:

Lost Soul always reminds me of Hour of Penance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHZk9LVY0s

Good call. ;)

Anyway, I might be screaming obvious here but how about Fleshgod Apocalypse's debut album? It's the closest thing you'll find. And do you know the typical giants of the style? Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Nile, Lykathea Aflame?!

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:41 pm 

Thanks for all the recs so far. I have heard and listened to every band listed before, except for Lykathea Aflame. I will definitely check them out.

I'd figure this was a pretty difficult request. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:12 pm 

Lykathea Aflame is pretty unique sounding, although it drinks heavily from some well known bands/scenes. It's a monstrous record if you ask me, and you just need to check its average score on the website to be interested (96% average score on 21 reviews :o).

There's probably a ton more of bands that play in the style you're after. The problem is that a big part of them will just sound as a repeating offender, if you catch my drift. ;)

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:17 pm 

Speed and brutality?

Omnihility - Biogenesis , Religion the Plague

Origin - Expulsion Of Fury

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:52 pm 

Decaying is hilarious, essentially a Hail of Bullets worship band.

There's also Engorge that have 2 war themed albums, but I've never found any downloads just youtube clips.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:03 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Speed and brutality?

Those Omnihility tracks were killer (also, your link to Religion The Plague was actually Abcess Of Oblivion. Still, good stuff.). I will check out the rest of that album.

Origin, I do know plenty. They do get a little tiresome to me after awhile. Thanks for the recs.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:49 pm 

luxul wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
Speed and brutality?

Those Omnihility tracks were killer (also, your link to Religion The Plague was actually Abcess Of Oblivion. Still, good stuff.). I will check out the rest of that album.

Origin, I do know plenty. They do get a little tiresome to me after awhile. Thanks for the recs.

Glad you dug the Omnihility stuff. That is their debut album and they are semi-local to where I live. They hooked me live as an opener a couple times when I went to see other bands and I eagerly anticipated this debut. Though the drum production is lacking, IMO, it still crushes. Even better, they have a full album of material already together for their 2nd album. This band has a high ceiling and it's always cool to follow a potentially great band from their early days.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:40 am 

As lame as this sounds I'm looking for slam for people who don't like slam (cleaner production, perhaps a bit more structured). I'm thinking Vulvectomy's second album or Pencil Lead Syringe's "Suffocated and Embalmed" (even though that one doesn't have cleaner production).

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
As lame as this sounds I'm looking for slam for people who don't like slam (cleaner production, perhaps a bit more structured). I'm thinking Vulvectomy's second album or Pencil Lead Syringe's "Suffocated and Embalmed" (even though that one doesn't have cleaner production).

They're kinda borderline and not really slam, but I've found that people who like the idea of slam more than the execution tend to really like the proto-slam bands like Eternal Suffering, Pyrexia, earlier Internal Bleeding and such.

Also there's Revenance, who have a weirdly structured and blatantly hardcore-ish form of slam. Katalepsy as well, at least on Triumph of Evilution. Criminal Element might fall into the same category.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm 

Does anyone know of any death metal that's still brutal, but is also actually terrifying and horror-like. Where the guitars are downtuned to fuck all and beefy-sounding but there there is a haunting atmosphere being created by both the music and vocals/lyrics as well. I don't mean the vapid, gore Cannibal Corpse lyrics about fucking dead children/women, I mean something that's more nightmare-ish and even supernatural in nature.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Does anyone know of any death metal that's still brutal, but is also actually terrifying and horror-like. Where the guitars are downtuned to fuck all and beefy-sounding but there there is a haunting atmosphere being created by both the music and vocals/lyrics as well. I don't mean the vapid, gore Cannibal Corpse lyrics about fucking dead children/women, I mean something that's more nightmare-ish and even supernatural in nature.

A couple that immediately spring to mind (though the tuning might not be low enough...) that might fill your request are:

ZOM from Ireland create some true, horrific death metal. Great stuff here.

Manipulator from France captivate a nightmare induced aura with their brand of abysmaldeathmetal. Sorry about the link, no-one has yet uploaded some more recent material from their awesome EP.

Binah are a more obvious choice here, with their debut last year.

Maybe give Sweden's Vanhelgd a listen?

Germany's Charon are a fucking full on assault, but still have lashing of horrific atmosphere.

My collection

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:23 am 

Binah and ZOM were pretty interesting. They were a bit more black/death metal somewhat similar to Mitochondrion, which wasn't quite what I was looking for, but they were still decent enough. I liked the beefier sounding, super-downtuned guitars on Binah quite a bit and the vocals were pretty haunting. The others weren't really all that interesting, though.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:06 pm 

Disma might be the ticket.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

I'm two days late, but eh... I'd suggest to you just about everything from the East Coast scene of brutal death metal. Dripping's album Disintegration of Thought Patterns During a Synthetic Mind Traveling Bliss is the most well-known example, but there are tons of other bands from there like Short Bus Pile Up, The Gurchick Tree and Dysentery who are just all-around riffmasters in addition to playing catchy-as-fuck (but not necessarily overwhelming) slams.

The Gurchick Tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpOC4_ouprQ
Short Bus Pile Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRPE7XNhNdQ
Dysentery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neVTMUZDx0A
Dripping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTCWGjCOfg

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 am 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

They're kinda borderline and not really slam, but I've found that people who like the idea of slam more than the execution tend to really like the proto-slam bands like Eternal Suffering, Pyrexia, earlier Internal Bleeding and such.

Also there's Revenance, who have a weirdly structured and blatantly hardcore-ish form of slam. Katalepsy as well, at least on Triumph of Evilution. Criminal Element might fall into the same category.

Vulvectomy is pretty much pure slam, if you ask me, even on their second album. Speaking of Katalepsy, I think Autopsychosis fits your request perfectly, the production is clean and fills a lot of sonic space. There's definitely a lot of great, non-slammy songwriting going on as well.

Deadly Remains used to be a death/thrash band, and you can still hear their love for great riffs on their latest album.
Embryonic Depravity isn't as clean production-wise, but they never considered themselves a slam band despite the slams, and I have to agree.

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Im thinking Devourment would appeal to you, they have cleaner sounding new material especially Conceived In Sewage.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
Vulvectomy is pretty much pure slam, if you ask me, even on their second album. Speaking of Katalepsy, I think Autopsychosis fits your request perfectly, the production is clean and fills a lot of sonic space. There's definitely a lot of great, non-slammy songwriting going on as well.

Deadly Remains used to be a death/thrash band, and you can still hear their love for great riffs on their latest album.
Embryonic Depravity isn't as clean production-wise, but they never considered themselves a slam band despite the slams, and I have to agree.

Heh, Katalepsy and Deadly Remains are two of my favorite bands going, parituclarly on the strength of their most recent albums. Autopsychosis is my favorite album of 2013 so far, edging out Defeated Sanity - Passages Of Deformity. Severing Humanity by Deadly Remains topped my entire list for 2012. Those really hit the mark for me.

Absolutely devastating slams on Autopsychosis, but as you stated there's a lot of framing of riffs, set-ups to slams, and technical riffing that keeps it notches above the knuckle-draggin' slamming of bands like Chordotomy or Kraanium (and Vulvectomy to a degree). Riffs and guitars rule the land on both band the Autopsychosis and Severing Humanity albums. Same reason I like Vulvectomy. Coprocephalic's Gluttonous Chunks (2012) is another quality album to check out, though it's more 'blended' like Euphoric Defilement's latest.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
HeirOfNothing wrote:

Heh, Katalepsy and Deadly Remains are two of my favorite bands going, parituclarly on the strength of their most recent albums. Autopsychosis is my favorite album of 2013 so far, edging out Defeated Sanity - Passages Of Deformity. Severing Humanity by Deadly Remains topped my entire list for 2012. Those really hit the mark for me.

Absolutely devastating slams on Autopsychosis, but as you stated there's a lot of framing of riffs, set-ups to slams, and technical riffing that keeps it notches above the knuckle-draggin' slamming of bands like Chordotomy or Kraanium (and Vulvectomy to a degree). Riffs and guitars rule the land on both band the Autopsychosis and Severing Humanity albums. Same reason I like Vulvectomy. Coprocephalic's Gluttonous Chunks (2012) is another quality album to check out, though it's more 'blended' like Euphoric Defilement's latest.

ED's last is damn near up there with Passages for me. Not a big fan of the whole Russian slam scene to be honest, despite Autopsychosis clearly being an accomplished album. There's something about the blown-up guitar tone and reverbed-to-hell drums that throws me off, and it's got a bit too much of an epic, almost glamorous vibe to it. I like my slam nasty. Dislike the new Devourment for the same reason. I'm putting all my money on Septycal Gorge's new one, the preview song is probably the best thing I've heard this year - speaking of Italian bands: the requester might want to check out Unbirth as well, they released a pretty sweet album in March.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
ED's last is damn near up there with Passages for me. Not a big fan of the whole Russian slam scene to be honest, despite Autopsychosis clearly being an accomplished album. There's something about the blown-up guitar tone and reverbed-to-hell drums that throws me off, and it's got a bit too much of an epic, almost glamorous vibe to it. I like my slam nasty. Dislike the new Devourment for the same reason. I'm putting all my money on Septycal Gorge's new one, the preview song is probably the best thing I've heard this year - speaking of Italian bands: the requester might want to check out Unbirth as well, they released a pretty sweet album in March.

Another win this year is that Unbirth album. Clearly more tech-death (and brutal) in style than others you and I have mentioned and very good at that. I didn't care much for the new Devourment. Lacked in many areas. The new Guttural Secrete is better than both those albums, IMO. Wormed's new one is also worth investigating.

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:53 am 

Anyone have some brutal death metal with lyrics that aren't about gore and vocals that are at least semi understandable? Some thing like dying fetus or early suffocation.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 pm 

Hey guys, i posted this in the CD identification thread but it's nott getting any attention

"Please guys i need some help in finding an Death Metal album and i don't really know if this is the right place to ask.
I've completely forgotten the name of the band(i remember it's not English) and the album title, but i have vague recollections of the cover art.
Its two guys(i think) wearing leather jackets, with bullet belts. The photograph was taken in the woods and looks more like a Black Metal album cover. I think it was released in the early 2000s"

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

Give Vengeful a try: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vengeful/66205

I remember their album from 2011 sounding quite sinister and atmospheric without sounding limp.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

Give Vengeful a try: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vengeful/66205

I remember their album from 2011 sounding quite sinister and atmospheric without sounding limp.

Seconding Vengeful.

Also, Internecine Excoriation, if you don't mind the gurgles.
Dragged Into Sunlight cross over into grindcore and black metal at times, but they definitely live up to your criteria.
Desolate Shrine.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Hey guys, i posted this in the CD identification thread but it's nott getting any attention

"Please guys i need some help in finding an Death Metal album and i don't really know if this is the right place to ask.
I've completely forgotten the name of the band(i remember it's not English) and the album title, but i have vague recollections of the cover art.
Its two guys(i think) wearing leather jackets, with bullet belts. The photograph was taken in the woods and looks more like a Black Metal album cover. I think it was released in the early 2000s"

Dude, I have absolutely no idea! :(

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:41 pm 

skwid79 wrote:
Anyone have some brutal death metal with lyrics that aren't about gore and vocals that are at least semi understandable? Some thing like dying fetus or early suffocation.

Yogth Sothoth: Lovecraft.
Already mentioned above and below your post are Unbirth and Vengeful.
Sarcolytic have an aliens thing going on, but not in the sci-fi way. Something with Sumerian scriptures and pyramids.
Lecherous Nocturne: some love it, some hate it.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:44 pm 

androdion wrote:
Dude, I have absolutely no idea! :(

Awww crap! I know my description(or lack of it) doesn't help either. Thanks man, for at least responding

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:51 pm 

luxul wrote:

I think Misery Index would be a good shout for this, not exactly like Hour of Penance but they are fierce sounding and really utilise blasting a lot but they're definitely a lot more grind influenced give it a listen.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 289  Next