Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 am 

OK speaking of The Last Story, has anyone played it? Cause I wonder what the algorithm is to cause this music to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnewYUkgFE

I know it plays on some key scenes. And it sounds so triumphant and heroic. Nobuo Uematsu still has it.

This is more evidence Nobueo Uematsu is still an amazing composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QXRjvKnM1w

But I recently noticed the music in the first link will also play in the middle of battle at times. Is it cause your players fall a lot? Or if the fight drags for a certain time period? Or if you fall? Cause it seems to cue at just the right time to really inspire you to win a tough battle.

It's design choices like these that make me like the Last Story more than I should. The story is a bit of a simplistic cookie cutter story, the character development is fairly predictable, and gameplay isn't really deep. But certain presentational and creative aspects like this are something many games are missing.

Edit:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/21/no ... ast-story/

Quote:
Uematsu composed a 5-minute-long battle theme for The Last Story, written as a single piece, but broken up into several segments that change depending on the nature of the battle.

So this article addresses that the music changes but I kind of wonder how they did it cause it works really well.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:55 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
...Miranda, and she was easily my most useful combat character, and a quick look into ME3 shows she gets even better...

Nope. She doesn't join you in ME3. All you get are a few calls from her, and if you had her (wink, wink) in ME2, you get a part deux. I was pissed, she was badass and probably the only collection of pixels I ever thought of as attractive.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:10 am 

Just a heads-up for 2D side-scroller fans who don't own a 360, the excellent and gorgeous Dust: An Elysian Tale is coming to PC next week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/236090/

I just noticed the PC versions of Dust and Mark of the Ninja are actually published by Microsoft Studios... Way to shoot yourself in the foot by porting some of your best (and only) exclusives to another platform, Microsoft. Then again, I guess they figure that the developers will probably make the port one day anyway, so they might as well make a bit of money off it.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:26 am 

Nochielo wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
...Miranda, and she was easily my most useful combat character, and a quick look into ME3 shows she gets even better...

Nope. She doesn't join you in ME3. All you get are a few calls from her, and if you had her (wink, wink) in ME2, you get a part deux. I was pissed, she was badass and probably the only collection of pixels I ever thought of as attractive.

Oh handy, her ability to both attack shields and barriers was too good to pass up. I thought I read about her gaining the devasting Incinerate too which had me annoyed. I forgot to mention it was disappointing that noone commented on her death at all in the ending or aftermath, I mean the game has 25000 lines of dialogue, another couple of hundred wouldn't have been too big of a cost. As for the attraciveness I found it cool they actually took the voice actors face, plus she had the added odd appeal of having an aussie accent in a game, but I found her figure cartoonish. I did have the option of banging her, but I ruined it by siding with Jack since her Cerberus Facility was so evil, which turned sexual against my will as I mentioned before. At any rate I wanted to nail the red head secretary since I like rangas I guess.

Last edited by lord_ghengis on Sun May 19, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I wonder: should I bother with Sleeping Dogs at all if I can't stand games like GTA and RDR? I mean it's free, but I wonder if I should even bother spending any time on it.

I'd say give it a shot. It's pretty lite in its "open-worldness" (took me about 30 hours to 100%, not including achievements), and you could always stick to the main quest and not bother with the side stuff. The combat is fun as well once you get the gist of it.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:38 pm 

Anyone here familiar with that game called The Path? And if so, would you recommend it?

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:10 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
I just noticed the PC versions of Dust and Mark of the Ninja are actually published by Microsoft Studios... Way to shoot yourself in the foot by porting some of your best (and only) exclusives to another platform, Microsoft. Then again, I guess they figure that the developers will probably make the port one day anyway, so they might as well make a bit of money off it.

Win-win if you ask me. It's not like a few XBLA titles are going to bring over pc-users to the 360 at this point. This way I'm enjoying Mark of the Ninja and they get my money still.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:35 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Anyone here familiar with that game called The Path? And if so, would you recommend it?

Oh, yes, a very good experience, but I'm hesitant to recommending it. Without spoiling anything it requires a certain mindset to actually see what it is about. If you enjoy some of the less conventional experiences in gaming, check it out, otherwise give it a (very) wide berth.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Just a heads-up for 2D side-scroller fans who don't own a 360, the excellent and gorgeous Dust: An Elysian Tale is coming to PC next week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/236090/

Honestly I have to say the non-gameplay aspects of Dust look pretty stupid. For example, the cutesy flying sidekick who serves as "hilarious" comic relief:
Spoiler: show

Now, the gameplay might well be great, I'm not commenting on that at all, but the presentation just really makes me not want to buy the game. Compared to, say, Bastion or Aquaria, it just looks really dumb.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:25 am 

I'm probably the only one here with a Wii U :lol: but just in case Super Metroid is on sale for 30 cents. Yeah for literally a quarter and a nickel you can get Super Metroid. Cool beans. Hope to see more sales like this from Nintendo.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm 

I'll be getting one eventually. They were pretty cheap recently, but I could not justify buying one what with all the unplayed games I have.

Super Metroid is amazing. 'Y cant metroid crawl' indeed :lol:

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm 

No comments on the Xbox One reveal?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm 

It looks like a mid-90s VCR.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:26 pm 

Erdrickgr wrote:

Because it's utterly underwhelming. And because it'll block used games unless you pay a fee, so, yep, gonna be Wii U and maybe PS4 (assuming Sony doesn't pull the same shit) this gen. Fuck Microsoft.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
And because it'll block used games unless you pay a fee

Hope it flops so hard Microsoft won't ever touch consoles again. Now let's see how Sony will do.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:28 pm 

Marag wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
And because it'll block used games unless you pay a fee

Hope it flops so hard Microsoft won't ever touch consoles again. Now let's see how Sony will do.

my sentiments exactly. Maybe I'm alittle biased after my utterly terrible recent experience with xbox live customer support in which it ended with them basically ending all correspondence with me and telling me that I didn't provide enough information, I should start a new account (even though I've been using the same account for years with alot of data saved on said account). Seriously fuck microsoft. terrible customer support. They really only advertise and promote shitty sequels to shitty games. And plus this new xbox is really only focused on entertainment excluding games. I don't want a device that can allow me to instantly switch to my fucking tv, I can do that with a remote. I want a game console focused on gaming alone.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 pm 

So if I happen to live out in the sticks and cannot gain a high speed, reliable, high data allowance cable internet connection, or live in a rental property where I can't easily install a new phone jack in my lounge room, I can't get an Xbox?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:43 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
So if I happen to live out in the sticks and cannot gain a high speed, reliable, high data allowance cable internet connection, or live in a rental property where I can't easily install a new phone jack in my lounge room, I can't get an Xbox?

It's microsoft new marketing tactic: Video-gaming for the True Elite only.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:47 pm 

Kotaku confirmed that the activation "fee" to play on a different console isn't really a fee, but the full price of the game. :lol: Also, you need an internet connection to activate your game the first time you buy it. So if you just bought a game and go home and activate it but your ISP is down, or the M$ servers are under maintenance... tough shit, can't play. The CoD midnight launches are gonna be hilarious. That is, if there are really enough suckers to still buy that piece of shit.

Edit: and you need to be connected to XBL at least once every 24 hours. :lol: :thumbsdown:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:49 pm 

Haha, wow, so they're genuinely hoping to keep it so games never ever drop down in price. It'll still sell millions and millions sadly.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm 

It's funny cause there were rumors that they were going to do this for a long time and the outcry was massive. They still went ahead and did it, hope they do terribly.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:07 pm 

Big Brother isn't created overnight. Someone has to be a trendsetter for all the shit we're going to accept as the norm in the future. :wink:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Edit: and you need to be connected to XBL at least once every 24 hours. :lol: :thumbsdown:

I'm interested to know what the "or else" is. Does Microsoft delete your account or something?

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Big Brother isn't created overnight. Someone has to be a trendsetter for all the shit we're going to accept as the norm in the future. :wink:

Count me out as one to accept it. I'll just keep right on emulating retro games and playing what few modern games I have. I won't buy into this cash cow my friend.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:59 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Count me out as one to accept it. I'll just keep right on emulating retro games and playing what few modern games I have. I won't buy into this cash cow my friend.

Me too, count me out of this generation, unless: they keep releasing good Soul series games for the PS4 that don't have ports for the pc; said PS4 doesn't sucks ass like the new xbox does

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm 

I just saw the new Xbox...

They're for real? :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 pm 

Microsoft is paving the way for Steam's dominance of the gaming world for the next decade.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:52 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Microsoft is paving the way for Steam's dominance of the gaming world for the next decade.

Valve, man. I just...I just want to have Gabe's babies.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It's funny cause there were rumors that they were going to do this for a long time and the outcry was massive. They still went ahead and did it, hope they do terribly.

Well, the outcry was about "always online" rumors, whereas per the announcement you only need to go online once to tie the game to your account via installation (plus this "go online at least once a day" thing, the nature of which isn't quite clear to me... might as well end up being a misinterpretation/poor wording thing).

Anyway, go play Metro: Last Light folks. Won't delve into details that much, but we're talking about an improvement over the original in almost every aspect here (the narrative premise is a dodgy one though), and a strong contender for a GOTY as far as I'm concerned.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:31 am 

I really liked Metro: 2033 already, so I'm glad to hear the new one is good too. I'm just waiting for the price to drop, basically.

Also: Shadowrun Returns is out in a little over a week. To say I'm stoked is an understatement.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:22 am 

So it's gonna be called Xbox One. Hmm, was going with 720 a bit too ridiculous or is word play the pick of the week?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:58 am 

Nah, it's just that they went 359 degrees backwards in development.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 am 

I really don't get the hate for the new Xbox, do people not have internet or previous consoles? I will likely buy it and I'm sure it'll be great with some awesome games. Everyone is so quick to jump on every tiny thing they think is a flaw.

I remain optimistic, and E3 is coming up in a few weeks so they'll have a few things to reveal, unlike the PS4 conferance which was basically all games.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 am 

No I do not have console capable internet. Thus it is a big deal for me. Also I don't like that it always watches you, shits creepy. And installs on consoles are lame.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 am 

yentass wrote:
Anyway, go play Metro: Last Light folks. Won't delve into details that much, but we're talking about an improvement over the original in almost every aspect here (the narrative premise is a dodgy one though), and a strong contender for a GOTY as far as I'm concerned.

Is that the game where the hard mode is DLC?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
unlike the PS4 conferance which was basically all games.

I can only see this as a positive thing. What's more important on a gaming console? Fucking HBO and Netflix, or the fucking games?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:12 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
yentass wrote:

Is that the game where the hard mode is DLC?

Yes and no. The hardest difficulty is available normally. What is a DLC is what's called "Ranger Mode" which does away with your UI and such and basically tries to make it more realistic; you have to remember how many bullets are in your clip, you have to check your inventory to see how many clips you have left, if you reload before your clip is empty you lose those extra bullets, that sort of thing. In the original it was something you could activate separately from the standard difficulty settings and personally I saw it as more of a gimmick than anything else. I won't miss it. There's apparently a lot of weird shenanigans with that DLC thing, supposedly THQ were to blame for it and now the new publisher is just going along with it because it's too late or whatever, but that still doesn't mean they couldn't give it away for free...anyway the developer had nothing to do with that decision and I'm sure the game will be just as good without it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:28 pm 

I see. Well, that's still the lamest thing to ever put as DLC ever. The publishers are giant douches.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm 

You should read the developer story behind that game. It is really interesting in the most terrible way ever. Major props to those guys and all things they endured. Thought Metro 2033 was neat, the book is a good read as well.

Morrigan wrote:
Erdrickgr wrote:

Because it's utterly underwhelming. And because it'll block used games unless you pay a fee, so, yep, gonna be Wii U and maybe PS4 (assuming Sony doesn't pull the same shit) this gen. Fuck Microsoft.

Pretty much this. Considering the 360 was my favourite console this gen, I'm pretty disappointed by a lot of the decisions on this thing. No backwards compatibility is the worst out of all that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm 

I'm pretty much not going to bother with this next generation, methinks. I still get mileage out of my PS2, and it isn't because I can do something with it that I could more efficiently do by turning the console off like watch television.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 940  Next