Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 pm 

http://www.thefader.com/2013/05/21/stre ... sunbather/

Yes I know, its hipster metal, but is absolutely great.

And yes, the singer is fucking crazy, what a guy:

http://www.steelforbrains.com/post/4470 ... deafheaven

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
http://www.thefader.com/2013/05/21/stream-deafheaven-sunbather/

Yes I know, its hipster metal, but is absolutely great.

And yes, the singer is fucking crazy, what a guy:

http://www.steelforbrains.com/post/4470 ... deafheaven

Its just more alcoholic bro-metal. I met all of these guys when they played their first show after moving to my town and that was the impression I got. That being said, it sounds like his life is deteriorating further. I hope he gets his shit together some day. For all of my dislike of the music, they were genuinely nice guys and its a shame that he's still bent on self destruction for a creative process.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm 

I loved Roads to Judah, but was disappointed by the first single from Sunbather. However, I'm really liking this track. It seems to retain the emotional intensity that made the debut so great. Might have to pick the album up after all.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm 

From the article the OP linked:
Quote:
While doing this, I saw a girl lying on her front lawn behind a gate and basically, I parked across the street to watch her. There was nothing sexual or deviant about it. I admired her life.

The guy seems to be a bit odd, to say the very least.

I just listened to the new album, first time hearing them. It's pretty cool, like post-rock tinged shoegaze with the added aesthetics playing a supporting role. I get why people would call it "hipster black metal", but honestly I don't really think this is black metal at all.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:38 am 

And the preorder is out too!! I listened to Dream House twice, that was probably too many, and I won't be listening to this. I want to save the whole experience of the album for when this shows up on my doorstep. So excited. Roads to Judah is a fantastic piece of post-shoe metal art. I expect this to be even better.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:49 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
From the article the OP linked:
Quote:
While doing this, I saw a girl lying on her front lawn behind a gate and basically, I parked across the street to watch her. There was nothing sexual or deviant about it. I admired her life.

The guy seems to be a bit odd, to say the very least.

I just listened to the new album, first time hearing them. It's pretty cool, like post-rock tinged shoegaze with the added aesthetics playing a supporting role. I get why people would call it "hipster black metal", but honestly I don't really think this is black metal at all.

Yeah, its pretty weird but at the same time I believe him and I dont see anything perverted in his attitude.

The interview is really interesting and it is surprising how open he speaks about his feelings, its clear that this guy has serious problems (rooted in his family as I can see), hope he can solve them.

The song is brilliant, at least the bm influence is here but this new album will be more post metal oriented, which is the normal evolution for a band like Deafheaven.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:36 pm 

The debut album was pretty good so I will be also interested in checking it out. Think the cover is terrible though.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 pm 

This isn't bad but it's hardly black metal, and let's be honest, every song sounds the same.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 pm 

Sunbather is a great album. Definitely a contender for my BM AOTY.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm 

i uhhh, listened to most of it, but it just sounds like indie rock turned into a bastard version of black metal, didn't do anything for me, so it's gone.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 pm 

it's a stretch to call it black metal besides the vocals(which are ehhhh).

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 pm 

Don't know why metalheads are so averse to indie/post-rock influences in black metal. It's an interesting combination and certainly not a gimmick. Whatever, it sounds totally good to me. Like a speedier Secret-era Alcest. It's better than the previous album IMHO.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:50 am 

RedAnkh wrote:
Don't know why metalheads are so averse to indie/post-rock influences in black metal. It's an interesting combination and certainly not a gimmick. Whatever, it sounds totally good to me. Like a speedier Secret-era Alcest. It's better than the previous album IMHO.

This.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 am 

STORMM wrote:
The debut album was pretty good so I will be also interested in checking it out. Think the cover is terrible though.

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one, I just find difficult to buy a cd with this cover, it reminds me Lana del Rey a lot (and I like LNDR).

I have to listen to the full album as soon as possible!

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:39 am 

I firmly believe that a band could come out now and make a black metal album as impactful as Under A Funeral Moon or Aske...a stellar album of real craftsmanship....but if the members had plug piercings and glasses the internet would insist they 'aren't black metal'.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 am 

Crystal_Logic wrote:
I firmly believe that a band could come out now and make a black metal album as impactful as Under A Funeral Moon or Aske...a stellar album of real craftsmanship....but if the members had plug piercings and glasses the internet would insist they 'aren't black metal'.

100% agree, the debut album sounded much more close to bm than what lots of bands of the style really do.

Years and years criticizing the people who categorize/judge metalheads because of their appearance and then into the metal scene we (they) do the same, its quite sad and a great hypocrisy.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm 

*shrug*

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:31 pm 

The whole album is up for streaming through Pitchfork.
I'll get around to it after school.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:01 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Crystal_Logic wrote:

100% agree, the debut album sounded much more close to bm than what lots of bands of the style really do.

Years and years criticizing the people who categorize/judge metalheads because of their appearance and then into the metal scene we (they) do the same, its quite sad and a great hypocrisy.

The whole judgement is only those who goes by the book. "Black metal must be like this... Black Metal must be like that..."
Sometimes we really get tired seeing such comments, and they doubt you for your appreciation for black metal.
Deafheaven's 2 albums are strongly experimental and deserve to be listened without judging whether the band wears spike gauntlets and corpsepaint.

Reply to topic