Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 pm 

Very excited for this. MVII is my favorite BAN album, and MVI is tied with The Work for my second favorite. It's remarkable how well Vindsval can write majestic and epic black metal with the Memoria Vetustas in contrast to the other cold mechanical and eerie albums and still make it all undeniably Blut Aus Nord... if that makes sense.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:46 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Very excited for this. MVII is my favorite BAN album, and MVI is tied with The Work for my second favorite. It's remarkable how well Vindsval can write majestic and epic black metal with the Memoria Vetustas in contrast to the other cold mechanical and eerie albums and still make it all undeniably Blut Aus Nord... if that makes sense.

It makes, even in so different albums the distinctive style of BAN is present which is very important to give coherence to the whole discography (even with the terrible Mort).

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm 

Yeah, I like how Vindsval once described in an interview regarding BaN's varied albums as showcasing different facets of the band's sound...very fitting.

I found MorT to be fascinating and fantastic, by the way.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 am 

juicebitch wrote:
Yeah, I like how Vindsval once described in an interview regarding BaN's varied albums as showcasing different facets of the band's sound...very fitting.

I found MorT to be fascinating and fantastic, by the way.

Ahhh this is the magic of the music, where I can only see noise and a joke you can see a good album. :D

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:10 am 

MoRT is incredible, easily one of BAN's best ever. It's not the easiest pill to swallow and is admittedly quite bizarre, but it's an amazingly constructed and utterly unique work. Quite a feat to even conceive of such a thing, let alone fully compose it down to such painstaking detail.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Maybe my definition of folk is more broad in this sense than yours but I've always thought it sounded very folksy. The melodies, the clean vocals, the subject matter(Fathers of the Icey Age, Heathen Blood of Ours, The Impure Blood of theirs, War, ancient warriors etc) all strike me as evoking something more than just black metal. Perhaps Viking would be a better description, I don't know, but I've always viewed the album as such even though its certainly a black metal record at heart.

I kind of see what you mean. I always referred to "Fathers..." as BAN's Bathory album. Although it doesn't sound like much like Bathory, it does seem to deal with epic themes and at times the music is as soaring as anything Quorthon ever wrote.
Death metal is eternal.

drinkreebs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 am 

any news on this?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 am 

You evil, evil fuck. Why would you bump this after 6 months with nothing. You gave me a heart attack in my penis.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:57 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You evil, evil fuck. Why would you bump this after 6 months with nothing. You gave me a heart attack in my penis.

The same with me hahaha, I as expecting a new song or sample, fuck.

drinkreebs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:58 am 

well that wasn't my intention but it's amusing to me so I think I'm going to make necro-ing old threads of anticipated upcoming releases a regular thing then. just getting impatient about news for this release, I expected it in December but it looks like that ain't happening.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:31 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:

drinkreebs wrote:
well that wasn't my intention but it's amusing to me so I think I'm going to make necro-ing old threads of anticipated upcoming releases a regular thing then. just getting impatient about news for this release, I expected it in December but it looks like that ain't happening.

LOL!
P.S: No news on their Facebook nor in the Candlelight Records website.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:34 am 

Debemur Morti stated that it will be delayed, but that it's definitely not canceled. They still have to release What Once Was... Liber II on CD, so I don't mind having to wait longer for MVIII.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:30 pm 

I will be looking forward to this one. The second part was very good, not quite as good as the first but that's because for me the first part is simply unbeatable - mystical atmosphere, so many powerful riffs, unusual production and unique touches like fretless 6 string bass.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 pm 

I always hear people lumping in or comparing these guys with Deathspell Omega, and maybe I haven't been listening to the right songs (can't remember which ones I've checked out) but holy shit they don't even come close. It's been awhile since I gave these guys a try but I don't know. Not saying they're bad, I do remember listening to half an album or so and enjoying it, but their sound isn't at all similar to DsO. Please, prove me wrong. The few times I've listened I didn't hear anything that even slightly resembled any work by Deathspell Omega. If anyone is comparable it's Dodecahedron.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 pm 

They're an entirely different strain of off kilter, dissonant BM to DsO, pretty hard to compare the two.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:34 pm 

Yea I see the BAN and DSO comparison thrown around a lot too and I don't see the reasoning. Other than both being from France, having dissonant qualities and dealing with abstract philosophical and metaphysical themes it's like apples and oranges imo. I always thought ruins of Beverast sounded more like BAN than DSO

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:39 am 

pbarb wrote:
Yea I see the BAN and DSO comparison thrown around a lot too and I don't see the reasoning. Other than both being from France, having dissonant qualities and dealing with abstract philosophical and metaphysical themes it's like apples and oranges imo. I always thought ruins of Beverast sounded more like BAN than DSO

Most likely it has to do with them being arguably the two most prominent and talked-about bands of the so-called "third wave" of black metal. I can't say I've seen them compared a hell of a lot, but they do often get lumped together when talking about "modern" black metal.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:55 am 

^ Well put, they're both likely the biggest names in new, artsy and pretentious BM, and they're heads of that "movement", but they're not really doing the same thing at all. DsO obviously more chaotic and techy, while BAN is mechanical and controlled. Obviously BAN also have a melodic side too, but I'm assuming in the context of DsO we're talking more Work Which Transforms God than the MVs or the debut.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:07 am 

well, they both have dissonant riffs at some point, but yeah i think BAN has a bit more atmosphere.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 am 

g_k wrote:
well, they both have dissonant riffs at some point, but yeah i think BAN has a bit more atmosphere.

Deathspell Omega has plenty of atmosphere, just of the "descent into chaos and madness" variety. Blut aus Nord is more transcendental, taking you on different journeys through different planes and dimensions, which is why I'm pretty stoked about the third Memoria Vetusta. Since I usually attach words like "soaring", "epic", "majestic", and "masterpiece" to the second chapter, I think it's safe to say the next one is at the top of my list for upcoming releases.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:40 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
^ Well put, they're both likely the biggest names in new, artsy and pretentious BM, and they're heads of that "movement", but they're not really doing the same thing at all. DsO obviously more chaotic and techy, while BAN is mechanical and controlled. Obviously BAN also have a melodic side too, but I'm assuming in the context of DsO we're talking more Work Which Transforms God than the MVs or the debut.

Why pretentious? Deathspell Omega doesn't pretend to be anything they are not. At least there are more and more black metal bands these days who actually worship Satan instead of making albums like 'Teach Your Children to Worship Satan', while they obviously don't worship Satan and neither would they teach it to their children. Black metal (and music in general) made by people who are truly dedicated to their believes, sounds always more convincing and powerful than bands who 'just' play black metal. It's always funny that when there are finally bands who are true to their believes, people will start calling them pretentious.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:28 pm 

No news on MV III, but does anyone know when Liber II will be released on CD?

Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm 

I would say the closest BAN ever comes to DSO is on The Mystical Beast of Rebellion

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:17 pm 

pbarb wrote:

Unless I'm either a shit head or completely forgetting vital information (or totally thinking of the wrong thing), I'm pretty sure I bought Liber II on cd a month or so ago. .. I'd just get up and go check, but I'm too far from my house.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:15 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
...I'm pretty sure I bought Liber II on cd a month or so ago. .. I'd just get up and go check, but I'm too far from my house.

It's probably Liber III you're thinking of. I also bought it about a month ago, raising an eyebrow the whole time because I knew the second one hadn't been released on disc yet. Anybody know why it happened that way?

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
pbarb wrote:

Unless I'm either a shit head or completely forgetting vital information (or totally thinking of the wrong thing), I'm pretty sure I bought Liber II on cd a month or so ago. .. I'd just get up and go check, but I'm too far from my house.

Yea i think you may be thinking of liber III or liber I. Liber III was released on CD about a month a go and they re-released liber I on cd also, but liber II (my personal fav of the three) on cd is still "coming soon" as best i can tell from the label band camp page. was wondering if anyone had a date or anything?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm 

Aye. It was Liber I. d'oh!

Blinddieselslim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:53 am 

Agreed that after revisiting Cosmosophy it's a great record. Initially I was very underwhelmed and went back to the first two. 777 records. Now after more listening it makes sense and the whole 777 trilogy makes even more sense. I can't stop playing all three in rotation, which is blotting out anything else at the moment. Think only MV3 will dislodge them, really need that released soon.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
I always hear people lumping in or comparing these guys with Deathspell Omega, and maybe I haven't been listening to the right songs (can't remember which ones I've checked out) but holy shit they don't even come close. It's been awhile since I gave these guys a try but I don't know. Not saying they're bad, I do remember listening to half an album or so and enjoying it, but their sound isn't at all similar to DsO. Please, prove me wrong. The few times I've listened I didn't hear anything that even slightly resembled any work by Deathspell Omega. If anyone is comparable it's Dodecahedron.

What is also annoying when you hear about DSO in the context of French BM scene, this band doesn't really have any personal connections to French BM, doesn't sound like any other French band, and feels as isolated from the 'scene' as BM band can be. Sentences akin to "The French black metal scene is growing rapidly with DSO and BAN as the forerunners of the movement" have no sense at all.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:15 am 

Blinddieselslim wrote:
Agreed that after revisiting Cosmosophy it's a great record. Initially I was very underwhelmed and went back to the first two. 777 records. Now after more listening it makes sense and the whole 777 trilogy makes even more sense. I can't stop playing all three in rotation, which is blotting out anything else at the moment. Think only MV3 will dislodge them, really need that released soon.

It's a great album and it's a great trilogy too.

vengefulgoat wrote:
What is also annoying when you hear about DSO in the context of French BM scene, this band doesn't really have any personal connections to French BM, doesn't sound like any other French band, and feels as isolated from the 'scene' as BM band can be. Sentences akin to "The French black metal scene is growing rapidly with DSO and BAN as the forerunners of the movement" have no sense at all.

Ok, I see your point BUT they're french, BM and two of the most well known and active bands at the moment so...

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:13 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:

Ok, I see your point BUT they're french, BM and two of the most well known and active bands at the moment so...[/quote]

Yes but forming of such sentences implies there's some personal or sound connections with the rest of the scene. It's not the case like with early 90's Norwegian, Polish, French scenes.

frozenghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:17 pm 

This will be released instead of MV III (DMP0100) https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6155_n.jpg

Maybe something "MoRTish" from BaN? :hyper:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:45 pm 

frozenghost wrote:
This will be released instead of MV III (DMP0100) https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6155_n.jpg

Maybe something "MoRTish" from BaN? :hyper:

Who says it's not MV III?

frozenghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:20 pm 

Void from Debemur Morti Productions.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 pm 

Wait, so they're not doing MV3 at all now? Or is it just further delayed?

That cover definitely looks too "evil" for an MV chapter, given that the series seems to be used for BAN's atmospheric work.

frozenghost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:44 pm 

yeah, MVIII is just delayed. And this "evil" artwork was done by Nestor avalos.
Necrolord will draw the cover for MVIII

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:15 am 

"DMP0100 : Blut Aus Nord - Debemur MoRTi. Release date : January 24th (2x7" EP and CD)"

"I'm sorry but DMP0100 won't be "Memoria Vetusta III". Yet... it will be something grand nonetheless. It's brewing... more news shortly. Last but not least, Memoria Vetusta III is NOT cancelled, only delayed."

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:45 am 

^^^ what does that post and quote mean/where is it from? Dammit man your playing with my emotions lol

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:26 am 

It's from Debemur Morti's Facebook page. And it means what it says--MVIII isn't going to be Debemur Morti's 100th release. Instead, Blut Aus Nord wrote an EP to act as the 100th release and celebrate DMP's 10 year anniversary while Vindsval finishes MVIII.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

So we are getting a surprise BAN ep in a few weeks and MV3 later in the year? 2014 is off to a great start already!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next