Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm 

I'm really looking forward to hearing the studio version of Fallout, because maybe it's just the live atmosphere and my mind filling in the gaps, but that song feels the liveliest that Queensryche has been in years, maybe decades. I get a real Maidenesque feel from the riffs and vocal/guitar interplay, which is a very good thing in my eyes. Where Dreams Go To Die...I didn't love it, but I can already tell it has room to grow.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm 

Oblarg wrote:

Nah. There's a very distinctive guitar style in nu-metal that's basically a derivative of groove-era Pantera, and that's pretty much precisely what I'm hearing in parts of that song.

Just heard the better quality official version and I don't know how you hear nu metal there. Yes, there are some chugs, but the song structure is pure prog/power and the guitarwork really isn't separate from most modern PM - Symphony X, later Kamelot, etc, who the 'Ryche influenced in the first place. Not sounding like the 80s =/= nu metal.

For that matter, what's wrong with 'chugs' anyway? If they're used in crap groove metal without any subtlety or melody, sure it sucks, but they can be utilized quite well for a more vocal-based form of metal.

I think it sounds really cool now that I can hear everything properly. I'm not one of those people who's allergic to anything modern sounding though. The melodies are very old school Ryche, as well, and the vocal lines.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:16 pm 

I kind of understand what Oblarg is talking about if he means the brief part that first appears 0:38 and later after the choruses. But ~twelve cumulative seconds doesn't constitute nu metal on any appreciable level. Overall I'm liking the song quite a bit, definitely more than Redemption. Pain of Salvation is a full-on nu metal band if that song is.

EDIT: And yeah, that they harmonize the part in its introduction puts further support in it being intended for nothing that wouldn't exist in a power/prog format.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:29 pm 

If that song was "Nu metal", then you can count me in as a dedicated "Nu metal" fan! I don't care what kind of music it is, it was a great song and I can't wait to hear more from this album. Personally, I would say that whoever could hear "Nu Metal" in a song like that really needs to take a break from the Blasphemy and Bestial Warlust vinyl. Not to cry "elitist" or anything, but that is beyond absurd, simply laughable, :lol:.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 pm 

How is it laughable? It's the same thing they did on that first song, Redemption. Boring, bland groove-lite riffs with the occasional out-of-place guitar harmony. The only difference is that this song has some extended acoustic sections, so it's less obvious that the riffs are terrible and don't sound at all like classic Queensryche.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm 

You realize 'boring' and 'bland' are really not quantifiable at all, and thus not really worth much in a debate/argument about what genre this takes influence from? It'll just come down to "you're wrong" "nuh uh, you're wrong."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:42 pm 

Don't worry: you're both wrong.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 pm 

The vocals are good, some of the melodies are ghosts of Queensryche past, but tracing elements of Queensryche misses the glaring shortcoming - the instruments, especially the guitars, don't provide the necessary rhythmic power and contrast to the vocals/melodies to make this a good song. It's soft and boring, and the guitar parts tease at what it needs, but they don't provide it. Where are the riffs?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 pm 

Where Dreams Go to Die was surprisingly decent, if I may say so myself. As said previously; quite atmospheric, with cool melodies and vocal lines. Maybe this album will end up being better than I expected.....

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm 

this "where dreams go to die" is dreary and bland, although i'm just using those words to voice my thoughts on the song ;)

i had a theory (may have posted it some pages back in this thread, not sure) that QR without tate will only be able to churn out one album, maybe as little as just a handful of songs, of "comeback" material before they start to suck just as much as they did in the last.... 20 years or so with him. but the actuality of how much it all sucks will be lost, because of all the hype. the fanbase's hivemind has already typed en masse "OMG CAN YOU HEAR HOW REFRESHED THEY SOUND?!??!?!" before the songs even come out - my facebook feed and any comments-allowed news article on the band is full of this same stuff.

for what it's worth, tate's "fake-QR" (have we come up with a funny name play-on-words for either side of the split yet?) released a song the other week or month or whatever that wasn't really any worse than this.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 pm 

Both QR lack riffs. Toddsryche has better vocals, lyrics and a bit of more coherent songwriting than Tate but nothing to be impressed so far. Maybe fans will get the Death Magnetic syndrome and will hail as a mighty comeback to anything with a pale resemblance to their better days, no matter jow bland is the final product on its own.

For now, Todd wins but only for being the less smelling shit.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Maybe fans will get the Death Magnetic syndrome....

oh, i'd say they already have it pretty bad. nice, btw. i also agree with calling it "death magnetic syndrom"

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 am 

I only caught a little of it in passing this morning. Will need to give it a thorough couple of listens tonight. I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing world-shattering or "OMG it's just like Rage for Order II". Still better than whatever the fuck Geoff is doing.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am 

People actually think "rage For Order" is a classic?

I like what I've heard so far. Bring on Toddryche!

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:45 am 

Rage for Order is the best QR album!!!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm 

Juicebitch was born without ears!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:58 pm 

Sorry, but the hate on chugging even if it appears for 1 second, and the "they have no riffs" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) thing that some people do not just in this thread (and not directing this at anyone in particular) really gets on my nerves.

Overall, it's a pretty cool song, it's not brainmelting but it's fun to listen to and I like the solo section quite a lot. And it's by far more original and energetic than Tate's Lego construction made of 23244658 pieces.

Last edited by TheLiberation on Tue May 21, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Crick wrote:
If generic chugs are nu-metal, you'd think we'd just be calling metalcore nu-metal.

To be honest, we might as well.

This! I found a new signature. lol

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:55 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Sorry, but the hate on chugging even if it appears for 1 second, and the "they have no riffs" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) thing that some people do not just in this thread (and not directing this at anyone in particular) really gets on my nerves.

Yeah, pretty much.

I can't get the chorus of "Redemption" out of my head - that song's growing on me quite a lot. And "Where Dreams Go to Die" is a good, eerie sort of song, sort of an equivalent to the experimental songs they used to do. I think it'll be a solid album.

Even if it's not amazing, I'd still give it 10 more points on principle for not being the Geoff Tate album.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:24 pm 

Samples up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXL6XP0/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

The rest of the songs "Fallout," "Spore," A World Without," and "Don't Look Back" are pretty damn cool. I'm actually more excited now to hear this. Those leads in the final track sound amazing.

edit: just noticed on the amazon page that the reviews listed are for the EP. C'mon Amazon, separate that shit. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:29 pm 

I'm digging the album previews. I'm really interested in Spore, Fallout and Don't Look Back, and I'm told Vindication kicks all sorts of ass, but we'll see about that.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 pm 

It doesn't sound like the greatest album ever, but it does sound good and, most importantly, it sounds like fucking Queensryche.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 pm 

It sounds alright. Not really like Queensryche, but a decent modern rock/metal album. Hopefully it sounds better on disk because the production is still pretty bad on those samples.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:05 pm 

Sounds fucking killer. Definitely picking up this album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 pm 

I'm kind of afraid the two leaked songs will be the best ones on the album now, hope I'm wrong. Some of those sounded pretty good.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm 

I'm not able to listen to the samples right now, but wow, the album will be surprisingly short. Also, since that X2 thing is evidently just an intro, doesn't it seem odd that "Where Dreams Go to Die" is the proper opener? That's a rather odd song to be first. Regardless, I'm excited to hear these...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 pm 

35 minutes? Really? I mean, better short and sweet than overstaying its welcome, but this is Queensryche after all. I thought they were meant to be positively bursting at the seams with new material and creative energy.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:56 pm 

^That's where I'm having some slight concerns as well. Take away the intro and Midnight Lullaby, apparently an interlude, and only 9 songs at about 33 minutes are left. While songlength isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, it does seem to hint whatever progressive elements which remained present in their songwriting even through Promised Land will be far and few in between. If they're going with a more typical verse/chorus/verse-type structure for these songs, it's going to have be with some great instrumentation to get them to stick and not only to showcase Todd's vocals.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:46 pm 

I hear (via the preorder page on CMdistro) that the deluxe edition will have three live cuts; probably some old classics done by Toddryche rather than live renditions of the brand-new material. I haven't heard anything about which songs they'll be, though.

Speaking of Todd, here he is doing some fanservice and getting close-ups of the band for a fan with their phone during a performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcMllZqxFE

Meanwhile on the other side of the fence, at 10:22 we see Geoff Tate stealing a fan's phone and tossing it out of their reach, because he is a bitter, mean old asshole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CISgoZ6m6c

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:26 am 

This about proves my idea of the two current QR bands - the actual Queensryche seems like a rock band having fun, Tate seems like an incredibly egocentric celebrity wannabe.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

I just saw that clip. What a dick Tate is.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:57 pm 

The two clips really tell you a lot about the difference in attitude between the two "Queensryches".

It's just too bad neither entities is delivering music that really interests me at this point. I wish both kicked ass so the rivalry was at least meaningful.

But right now, it's nice guys making watered-down metal VS batshit-insane guy making watered-down metal.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:33 pm 

batshit-insane guy releasing watered-down metal written by 500 different people*

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm 

*batshit-insane guy making watered down pussy rock written by 500 people.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm 

I believe whenever they fight for the name Queensrÿche in court.. the real band will at one point change their mind and declare; "we're no longer interested in the name, it's been tainted forever".

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 pm 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/05/31/ge ... ans-phone/

Tate trying to justify his stealing the crowd member's phone and throwing it into the crowd. What most amuses me about this is that right after being asked the question and giving a really piss poor answer, Tate ends the interview.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:30 pm 

"Fallout" streaming. Straight up heavy metal.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=190723
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:36 am 

:ugh: at the Tate interview, :nods: at Fallout

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:43 am 

Fallout's nice, and..... That's it. A decent tune. I feel that it needs to be either longer and more complex, or have a faster pace. Todd's vocal melodies are stellar though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=191407

ENTIRE ALBUM UP FOR STREAMING!

First listen - not bad. I'd score it in the (high) 70% range. "Don't Look Back" is the kind of heavy / power metal that resonates well with this reinvigorated band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next