Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm 

...ugh. Chester fucking Bennington from Linkin Park. They have a new song too, which can be heard below.

If it was anybody other than Bennington singing, then the song would be harmless modern rock. Bennington's nasal voice just makes it so completely unbearable to me that I cannot finish the song.

Scratch STP off the list of bands that I have any interest in listening to in the future.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 pm 

I got no real problem with Bennington or his vocals, and Linkin Park is one of the few NuMetal bands I can halfway tolerate. (not saying I ever LIKED them, mind you; rather, they were merely the slightly less-crappy of many crappy bands.) With that said, his voice is totally unsuitable for Stone Temple Pilots. It would be like hiring Bono or fucking Chris Brown (urgh!) to be the new lead singer for Black Sabbath. Just won't work. And besides, isn't Linkin Park still together? Why would he bail on his current band? (or maybe the're not together anymore, shows how closely I pay attention to Linkin Park!)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 pm 

See kids? This is what happens when you use drugs. You get fired from your job and replaced by the guy that plays second fiddle to a rapper in his day job.

Honestly, this won't really do much for STP in the modern rock world. Unless they use some really hardcore screams during the bridge or use some synthesizers, they won't make it.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 pm 

I saw STP live with their real singer some years back, mainly because The Meat Puppets were opening for them at an extremely mainstream music fest in south Alabama, I had a free ticket, ride and wanted to see The Meat Puppets. I ended up around the front row of a massive sea of idiot people watching some awful fucking bands then watched a sea of dumbass redneck college shitheads play with their phones through a pretty ok Meat Puppets set then was trapped for the majority of STP who looked and played like extremely bored junkies. The best part was the crowd knew two songs and sang the chorus loudly in all the wrong parts, and some redneck threw a drink at the guitar player. I felt so alienated and bummed out I actually cried the next day.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm 

I can't wait to hear him sing "Sex Type Thing", I bet it'll sound even funnier than this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HZWU#t=34s

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 pm 

EWWWWW....I actually enjoy a lot of STP's stuff and to hear that that faggot is now the vocalist makes me want to vomit

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm 

STP are clever bastards. This is a fantastic way to make everyone think that Scott Weiland was great.

I really do enjoy some of the band's material but haven't really cared about anything they've done since No. 4.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 pm 

They couldn't force that on anyone even with Vasoline...
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
STP are clever bastards. This is a fantastic way to make everyone think that Scott Weiland was great.

When it came to 90s rock singers, Weiland is no Layne Staley, but he's a zillion times better than Bennington.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 pm 

His biggest problems were:

1) He could never really get his shit together live. I don't think I've ever seen a live STP performance where Scott actually sounded really spot-on.

2) He never found his voice. While a capable singer (in the studio, at least) I never felt that Scott Weiland ever had a signature sound to his voice, something that certainly hurt them in a genre full of easily identifiable, idiosyncratic singers.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 pm 

Weiland was a bit too much like Eddie Vedder- that bland, drawling midrange vocal with no particular character. The band came out right after Pearl Jam did and while they were okay; they always sounded like "generic 90's rock" to me. Bennington is a much more distinctive vocalist than Weiland was. Keep in mind; "More Distinctive" does not necessarily mean "Better." I still say he does not suit Stone Temple Pilot's musical style at all. Why couldn't they have hired someone like Chris Daughtry?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 pm 

I think Daughtry would actually somehow be a worse choice.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:53 am 

I don't know how much STP some of you have heard but Weiland dropped the Vedder shtick at "Tiny Music...". I saw STP last year and Scott was definitely the highlight of the performance. He had great stage presence, charisma, and was pitch perfect. I doubt this guy will do any of the previous material justice.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:52 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I can't wait to hear him sing "Sex Type Thing", I bet it'll sound even funnier than this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HZWU#t=34s

Too bad they couldn't have gotten this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5dEHz9omQ

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Weiland was a bit too much like Eddie Vedder- that bland, drawling midrange vocal with no particular character. The band came out right after Pearl Jam did and while they were okay; they always sounded like "generic 90's rock" to me. Bennington is a much more distinctive vocalist than Weiland was. Keep in mind; "More Distinctive" does not necessarily mean "Better." I still say he does not suit Stone Temple Pilot's musical style at all. Why couldn't they have hired someone like Chris Daughtry?

You mean Post-Grunge's "yarling?" Eeeey-yeeeerrr, ah lerrrve yerrrr voierrrrce... Cernt erndersternd a weeerd you seerrrry...

Daughty's alright, but he's post-grunge too, and derives some the same influences. I think he'd better, but it'd push STP closer to, say, Days of the New.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:32 pm 

Oh man, this is ridiculous. I'm not a fan enough of STP to really care - I just find this really hilarious, to be honest.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 pm 

Post Grunge meets Nu metal. This is gonna be good!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Scratch STP off the list of bands that I have any interest in listening to in the future.

Ditto, though I pretty much wrote them off at that Shrangriladida album.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:42 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
His biggest problems were:

1) He could never really get his shit together live. I don't think I've ever seen a live STP performance where Scott actually sounded really spot-on.

2) He never found his voice. While a capable singer (in the studio, at least) I never felt that Scott Weiland ever had a signature sound to his voice, something that certainly hurt them in a genre full of easily identifiable, idiosyncratic singers.

Oh, I don't think he ever wanted to have a "voice". He was constantly changing it, which I think is fine. You could definitely tell when it was him singing, and that's enough for me.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 pm 

Well, I guess it is fair to say that I enjoy his vocals on a number of songs that have markedly different vocal approaches.

So what're everyone's favorite STP albums? It's tough for me to choose, but I'd probably pick Tiny Music... with Purple and No. 4 coming in very close behind. Does anyone rate Core higher than these three, I wonder?

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 am 

I'd have to say Purple takes the cake for me. I do like Tiny Music.. a lot, too.

Purple was their strongest, I think. Absolutely love Scott's vocals on the album, and the guitarwork was pretty good.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

NuditysShiver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:11 am 

Bad move. I believe they should have at least changed the name of the band. I'm not saying Weiland was STP, but Bennington isn't right for his vocal parts. Continue on, but change the name and write new songs.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:18 am 

NuditysShiver wrote:
Bad move. I believe they should have at least changed the name of the band. I'm not saying Weiland was STP, but Bennington isn't right for his vocal parts. Continue on, but change the name and write new songs.

You missed one important thing, though. Those old songs are the only thing that they have to hold on to the old fan base that hasn't ditched them already. It gives them a running start that they would have lost if they had separated themselves with a new name.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

NuditysShiver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
NuditysShiver wrote:

You missed one important thing, though. Those old songs are the only thing that they have to hold on to the old fan base that hasn't ditched them already. It gives them a running start that they would have lost if they had separated themselves with a new name.

True, but whoever is left comprises of mostly diehard "Chester" fans who would follow that guy anywhere. They should still hang the name up and attract new fans with new material.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 am 

They should've changed their name hell they did the first time they went on without Scott under the name Talk Show which I liked and purchased.

the first 3 are my favs none really peaking out over the other. 4 was good but not as memorable. shang was meh frrt.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 am 

Meh, the only songs I found interesting from Stone Temple Pilots is Unglued and Down, so this doesn't even bother me as much. But having this guy as the singer for this band won't last long.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:33 am 

I've never been a huge fan of STP, I like some of what I've heard but never enough to be majorly interested in them.
Linkin Park, to my horror as I always perceived them as a whiney angsty teenage crap band, have actually done more than a few songs I've liked. I must be getting sentimental/senile.

Either way, good for them, I guess.

Reply to topic