Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 pm 

Nice Amorphis reviews, Ozzy. No idea why I haven't hit Circle yet, will get to that soon. I was surprised by autothrall's review since he generally seems to like Amorphis; worse than The Beginning of Times? Weaker vocals? fuck that noise. I don't think it's the best Joutsen album, but it's damned solid and does have some incredible moments.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 pm 

Good on. Wanted to get through these Amorphis album for years. I'll cap it off with a re-write of my Tales review (wrote that back in 2006! And it was on Amazon before that!). TBoT of course paled in comparison to Circle and Skyforger. I realized just how much as I was listening to it working out and doing stuff on campus this past week. My appreciation for Circle only went up.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:23 am 

Razakel wrote:
Nice Amorphis reviews, Ozzy. No idea why I haven't hit Circle yet, will get to that soon. I was surprised by autothrall's review since he generally seems to like Amorphis; worse than The Beginning of Times? Weaker vocals? fuck that noise. I don't think it's the best Joutsen album, but it's damned solid and does have some incredible moments.

It's definitely not worse, but it isn't that much better either. If you're bored with current Amorphis, Circle will disappoint you. If you're into the last couple of albums but were hoping for a bit of a change, it'll probably please you, because basically it's the same but heavier. It's nowhere near a reboot though.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 am 

I basically agree with you, which in my case, is a good thing. Amorphis can just keep doing what they're doing for all I care. If the result continues to be albums like Circle, then I'm one happy camper.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:54 am 

Best part of Tony's review for Cemetery Fog's Journey to Hell demo:
Quote:
"There's almost 3000 metal bands in Finland, I'm sure I'm not an asshole to say that Cemetery Fog needs to do a lot to become a caretaker of the metal underground. They need to nourish the earth with a lot of manure and fertilizer and I don't know if they have the necessary shovel. We'll have to wait and see."

:thumbsup:, Tony.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:41 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
Best part of Tony's review for Cemetery Fog's Journey to Hell demo:
Quote:
"There's almost 3000 metal bands in Finland, I'm sure I'm not an asshole to say that Cemetery Fog needs to do a lot to become a caretaker of the metal underground. They need to nourish the earth with a lot of manure and fertilizer and I don't know if they have the necessary shovel. We'll have to wait and see."

:thumbsup:, Tony.

That's brilliant prose! :wink:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:56 pm 

This review is really good, I enjoyed reading it. Flows well and gets the point across.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... nthony8660

Anthony8660
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:11 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
This review is really good, I enjoyed reading it. Flows well and gets the point across.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... nthony8660

Thanks man, hope you'll share my enthusiasm on your first listen, really a great band.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:31 pm 

Currently working on a review of Halgadom's Heimstatt album. It seems like this shit never ends. It would be cool if I were done after finishing this review, but I have the habit of writing a review in Dutch first and then translating it into English, so I'll be busy all weekend probably.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 pm 

Hey, Zodijackyl, normally I like your reviews, but I have to be entirely honest, your review of Be'lakor's newest album? Couldn't possibly disagree more. I don't understand the constant DT comparisons for one, they don't sound anything alike, and how could you call DT's vocals "emotionally driven", and call Be'lakor's emotionless and empty? As a vocalist myself, I struggle with that. Haha.

Shout out to Autothrall, still enjoying the hell out of all your reviews. Even though I disagreed with your assessment of Amorphis's "Circle", you did it in such a way that I could see where you were coming from. Usually reviewers who given relatively negative scores just slather shit all over the record like it's the worst thing ever. Cheers. I still look forward to hearing what you think of Hateform's newest one, Sanctuary In Abyss, if you ever get the chance. And any other reviewer who wants to give it a whirl. It's seriously an incredible slab of metal.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Hey, Zodijackyl, normally I like your reviews, but I have to be entirely honest, your review of Be'lakor's newest album? Couldn't possibly disagree more. I don't understand the constant DT comparisons for one, they don't sound anything alike, and how could you call DT's vocals "emotionally driven", and call Be'lakor's emotionless and empty? As a vocalist myself, I struggle with that. Haha.

Mikael Stanne's vocals are perhaps the growls most like a passionate speaker that I have heard - he is emotive and channels the feeling of certain lyrics very well. For example, "Lethe" carries a feeling of bitterness and frustration, a perfect fit for the song. His tone and pronunciation vary, which seems uncommon in growlers, he has more of a spoken quality mixed in with barking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453K_J_4gTI

In contrast, these vocals feel stiff and monotonous, the delivery never changes in tone nor pronunciation - it seems like every syllable is based off of one growling sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NVzQ#t=71s

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:09 pm 

I agree that he is a great vocalist, but I guess our difference in opinion really lies in how we view George's delivery. I, for one, think his delivery in Abeyance and By Moon And Star channels the lyrics perfectly. Again, all subjective. My biggest issue with the review is the constant comparisons to DT, and the fact that you've claimed them as "soulless." I find them very moving.

This isn't a personally attack, and I mean no offense. I do enjoy most of your reviews. I just thought 15% was a little harsh for a band that even managed to get a 75% out of Autothrall, and he's not known for his love of the melodic death genre.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 pm 

I love melodic death metal but it just seemed to do everything wrong. The atmosphere felt removed from the music in a way, and there just wasn't a part every now and then that channeled the feeling with a change in the ambiance - for example Insomnium do this well in the song "Mortal Share", but it just seems like any shifts on the Be'lakor album don't feel right.

The band does have a similarity and obvious influence of Finnish melodeath, and I don't really like any Finnish melodeath bands. I don't think a single Finnish band would crack a list of my 100 favorite melodeath bands, if I was inclined to make such a list, except maybe EToS.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm 

Fair enough, that's just how you feel, right? I just wanted to know why, is all.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 pm 

Yeah, just my opinion. :P My writing has been off lately, I need to refocus my efforts as I don't think I'm doing that great a job of describing the music other than my general disinterest. I'm focusing on two things I'm passionate about (melodic death metal and old local bands) as well as some review requests/promos for the zine I write for. I've gotten kind of sick of some of the stuff that it's been suggested that I review, and I have once again confirmed that albums with high review scores aren't necessarily worth listening to.

It's a good feeling to have pulled countless melodeath albums from my collection and look forward to reviewing them. Deciding to review something before listening to it has run its course for now, random reviews did help populate the broad range of review scores though!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 pm 

^ That's pretty much what I've been doing lately. Dusting off Finnish melodic death bands that I really wanted to get around to reviewing. Insomnium, ETOS, Kalmah, etc. Still not even done.

I also would agree with Zodi on that Be'lakor review. Not the really negative score, but the shifts he's talking about. I, too, felt like the album didn't flow well. Something was missing in that, as well as any real hooks or riffs. Stone's Reach is one of my favorite albums of the genre - it's amazing. But this new one didn't capture that same sound at all.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:53 am 

Really? Compared to Stone's Reach, I thought Be'lakor was a lot more concise in their riffing and more fluid in their transitions. I mean, I love Stone's Reach but you gotta admit sometimes those riffs dragged on for a little too long...sure they just kinda jam riffs together sometimes on OBaB, but for me they're so fucking good I can't bring myself to care.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:16 pm 

Yeah, I dunno, I thought Of Breath And Bone just took everything from Stone's Reach and made it a little better. I mean, there was no Countless Skies on there (best song of all time), but I thought they made it just a little more consistent. I think the album flowed smoothly, but again, just one man's opinion.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:22 pm 

Never really dug Be'Lakor, seemed a little too dry and long-winded for my tastes.

Zodi, how can you praise Insomnium in one sentence and then pan Finnish Melodeath in the next? In any case, Insomnium EToS and Kalmah definitely crack my top 10 Melodeath bands, and they're all from Finland.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:27 pm 

Liquid_Braino's reviews are generally good reads.

From his latest Edenbridge work:

Quote:
When I hear "Starlight Reverie", maybe due to an unfettered horniness while approaching a mid-life crisis combined with past indulgences of hallucinogenics and role playing games in my youth, I can't help but envision a Sabine-voiced winged beauty leading a flock of female pixies to that location pictured on the album's cover sleeve where they can twirl around the pillars and skinny-dip to their heart's content. Yeah, I have problems.

Got a chuckle out of me, good shit. :lol:

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:50 pm 

xexyzl wrote:
Never really dug Be'Lakor, seemed a little too dry and long-winded for my tastes.

Zodi, how can you praise Insomnium in one sentence and then pan Finnish Melodeath in the next? In any case, Insomnium EToS and Kalmah definitely crack my top 10 Melodeath bands, and they're all from Finland.

Just one example of a thing they do well for comparison, I don't really like them much.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 pm 

A pair of cool new reviews:

1) Tony's review of the Arsaidh album. I'm pretty much with him 100% on that one though I want to let the album stew more before reviewing it myself (if I ever do...I am very lazy, after all). This beats Askival hands down, and speaks to me in a way that none of the recent crop of epic/post-rockish/folky UK/Ireland black metal bands have managed to do, and Tony does a great job of outlining just why this album is such a success.

2) dystopia4's review of The Chalice of Ages! Great to see another review of this fucking phenomenal album. I would hesitate to give it 100% (though I'd certainly give it a 99%!) just because, unlike dystopia4, I can't help but think that these guys had an even more astonishing album in them that the world will never know. The review is solid but I think he could have elaborated more on just how brilliant the songwriting is on The Chalice of Ages. He also compares the band to Bolt Thrower a few times; while a pretty good point of reference, to me the band sounds like a more cinematic, grandiose (yet amazingly never over-complicated!) version of Gorement.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:11 am 

Cheers, thanks for pointing out my review. It's always good to get criticism to see how I improve, and to tell the truth I did have a bit of trouble putting the songwriting into words. To be honest Gorement are one of those bands that I've known casually and have been meaning to get more into but haven't really got around to yet. :oh shit:

Tony wrote a review of Arsaidh? Oh shit, gotta read that (hope it's positive). I just downloaded it on IX Leviathan's recommendation, definitely some of the least lame "nature metal" I've heard recently.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 am 

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Deathevokation are Gorement worship, but it does seem like their biggest musical influence, along with Dismember, Bolt Thrower and early death/doom. I also can't stress enough how *perfect* the production is on The Chalice of Ages, which just further highlights how weird it is that a band with very little prior releases made up relatively unknown musicians would be able to do a one-off album that's such a brilliant, monumental slab of epic death metal.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:21 am 

Yeah, the production really is something, it almost doesn't make sense that some unknown dudes could come together make such a massive and professional sounding release out of nowhere. I do believe that they had another amazing album in them, I just don't see how they could possibly one up Challice Of Ages.

Nice review Tony! Had no idea the dude used to be in scene-paracites Falloch (one of the lamest bands I've heard).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 am 

Yeah, he definitely has my pardon with this album, it's amazing stuff. Thanks for the compliments, guys! Yeah, Deathevokation is one of the best 00s American death metal albums, grandiose and fucking epic.

I'm now working on my review for the new Jex Thoth and I'm very tempted to review some Faustcoven and Ningen Isu.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 pm 

Faustcoven .. do iiiit

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 pm 

I really enjoy reading Twisted_Psychology's reviews. I don't have much interest in this album, but this review is concise and worded in such a way that it was very easy to read. This is quite a craft of writing - just the right length overall, and sufficient elaboration in each paragraph without losing my attention, even on something I'm not particularly interested in. This fellow hones in on the key points very efficiently - the descriptions never feel incredibly in depth, but never gratuitous. This is a good example of what I've been trying to do, but I haven't been able to do it this effectively. A pleasure to read.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... Psychology

Another recent one:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... Psychology

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 pm 

If he'd cut out that "highlights" section shit, I'd be all for him. I hate those things so much. If you can't explain the best parts in the review already, you have issues.

EDIT: That's just an 'in general' thing. TP is pretty good, I just hate addendums like that on principle.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 pm 

I also dislike them, but I'm so used to ignoring them that I didn't even think of them. I skip over them subconsciously, I guess.

Depersonalizationilosophy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 am 

I think I'm allowed a rebuttal since i was whacked around like a fragile pinata. Well, if you see arrogance in my reviews get used to it. Most likely it's not going to go away. Don't read my reviews. What happened to a balanced of good and bad reviews? All i see is children complaining about how I trashed an album or my reviews being contradictory. That's the way I operate.

Sometimes, I sigh at the "higher-ups". First of all I don't know where you got the idea that my top 10 bands are COF, BTBAM, and The Faceless. You got 1 out of 3 correct. I love all 3 but not enough to be my to Top 10.

Razorwyre was an awful band. I dislike how Metoinine acts as if he's a superior listener by deducting if I listen to those 3 bands than i must be ignorant about why i don't like Razorwyre or what have you. Dude, really? There's better speed metal bands plus back then I knew little about speed metal but as of right now it's pretty easy to tell apart. (I still dislike Razorwyre).

BastardHead, you disappoint me. I read some Falconbanes' reviews and actually feel honored that you compared me to him so thank you(I'm almost certain you read the Rust in Peace review and almost popped a vein). My reviews are just not your line of thinking, it does not mean I'm retarded. You can think I'm retarded, humans technically judge on a whim of what they don't understand. If your idea of life is "titties and beer", then who really is the one who's retarded? Well, all i will say is I'm not.

Good day gentlemen.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 am 

Razorwyre are awful human beings (or, at least, their singer is). But the album's pretty darn good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:33 am 

The new Soulside Journey review mentions *twice* that the album sounds as though it could've been recorded at Sunlight Studios. Even if you pirated the thing, the very least you could do is actually look the album up on the Archives before reviewing it.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 am 

Depersonalizationilosophy wrote:
stuff

:ugh: Wow, you had an opportunity to make a pretty good defense here but I think you screwed it up baaaaad.

No one's complaining that you trashed an album in and of itself. I trash albums fairly regularly and no one bats an eye to it. They're complaining about your approach to it - typically, the users here will debate but inevitably accept the presence of a good old-fashioned ideological beatdown review as long as it's written with enough conviction (or self-inflated pretension, based on who you asked). See UltraBoris vs. Metallica, Kruel vs. Deathspell Omega, Noktorn vs. Darkthrone, and so on. What people don't like is Falconsbane types, i.e. people who try to make large sweeping pseudo-philosophical statements but don't have the writing skills to justify the egotistical basis of their writing. And that's pretty much how you come across here.

Telling people not to point out issues within your reviews as they see fit is pretty silly. "Don't read my reviews"? How about you don't post them publicly to the website period, then, if you're going to throw such a fit over any criticism? This is the fun part about having the userbase itself concerned with the reviews here, because the freedom that allows you to post your reviews regardless of their opinions is the same freedom that allows us to discuss those reviews once they're posted. Don't like it? Don't place your reviews on a site with a public forum: put them on a blog somewhere and disable commenting. Problem solved, dissent silenced, all is well in the House of Self-Inflation.

EDIT: Typos ("pubicly"... :oh shit:)

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Mon May 20, 2013 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:52 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Depersonalizationilosophy wrote:
stuff

:ugh: Wow, you had an opportunity to make a pretty good defense here but I think you screwed it up baaaaad.

No one's complaining that you trashed an album in and of itself. I trash albums fairly regularly and no one bats an eye to it. They're complaining about your approach to it - typically, the users here will debate but inevitably accept the presence of a good old-fashioned ideological beatdown review as long as it's written with enough conviction (or self-inflated pretension, based on who you asked). See UltraBoris vs. Metallica, Kruel vs. Deathspell Omega, Noktorn vs. Darkthrone, and so on. What people don't like is Falconsbane types, i.e. people who try to make large sweeping pseudo-philosophical statements but don't have the writing skills to justify the egotistical basis of their writing. And that's pretty much how you come across here.

Telling people not to pont out issues within your reviews as they see fit is pretty silly. "Don't read my reviews"? How about you don't post them pubicly to the website period, then, if you're going to throw such a fit over any criticism? This is the fun part about having the userbase itself concerned with the reviews here, because the freedom that allows you to post your reviews regardless of their opinions is the same freedom that allows us to discuss those reviews once they're posted. Don't like it? Don't place your reviews on a site with a public frum: put them on a blog somewhere and disable commenting. Problem solved, dissent silenced, all is well in the House of Self-Inflation.

I second everything in this post.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 am 

As do I. And that "titties and beer" thing was a cheap shot, taking what was obviously a joke out of context.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

Were you really expecting anything else? I mean, if we're complaining about a guy's poor writing abilities, specifically his inability to articulately describe why he dislikes or disagrees with something, it should come as no shock that he's not too great about responding to critics, either.

Depersonalizationiswaytoolongofausername, it does somewhat amuse me that you'd play the "if you don't like it, don't read it" card. Along those same lines: "if you don't like Razorwyre, don't review it." "If you don't like our criticism of your reviews, don't read it or reply to it." Neither of those make sense, either, so I'd say learn to suck it up.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The new Soulside Journey review mentions *twice* that the album sounds as though it could've been recorded at Sunlight Studios. Even if you pirated the thing, the very least you could do is actually look the album up on the Archives before reviewing it.

That would be my review, I actually wasn't aware it was recorded there in fact and that would be my factual error but please don't be snarky about it, I tried to be as thorough and I checked the liners(yeah I do own the album) but we can all make mistakes in fact I checked past bands with Sunlight Studios and Darkthrone weren't mentioned. But thanks for pointing out the mistake in any case.

EDIT: Updated and sent back to the queue.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:21 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

That would be my review, I actually wasn't aware it was recorded there in fact and that would be my factual error but please don't be snarky about it, I tried to be as thorough and I checked the liners(yeah I do own the album) but we can all make mistakes in fact I checked past bands with Sunlight Studios and Darkthrone weren't mentioned. But thanks for pointing out the mistake in any case.

EDIT: Updated and sent back to the queue.

For the sake of public shaming, you also spelled "Darkthrone" wrong! :tongue: I fixed it and re-accepted the review.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:24 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
For the sake of public shaming, you also spelled "Darkthrone" wrong! :tongue: I fixed it and re-accepted the review.

:( I've really shamed my family now :( thanks Zod appreciate it :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 520  Next