Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 am 

Is no one else a fan of Blood and Sand, Vengeance, and War Of The Damned? I don't have much to say that isn't already repeated, Andy was the better Spartacus, blahblahblah. I'm expecting some "it's just sex and decapitation!" comments but those have been around ever since people didn't like Reign In Blood.

It follows the actual story according to Roman historian Plutarch rather well, changing bits here and there to make it more dramatic and pulse-pounding, such as the Spartacus-Crixus rivalry or Crassus being a competent general rather than a rich guy who was clueless about war. Caesar's involvement was fictional but I like the portrayal very much, as well as the performances of nearly the entire cast. That's my favourite thing about the series. It's done so well that you just HAVE to hate the antagonists and support the protagonists.

And of course the drinking song.

BLOOD RAINS DOWN FROM AN ANGRY SKY, MY COCK RAGES ON, MY COCK RAGES ON!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 am 

I was really into the show. Haven't seen the third season yet, tho.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 am 

Dude you HAVE to see it. An epic finale that does absolute justice to Andy Whitfield's legacy and the historical Spartacus himself.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am 

I just knew about the series the past month or so and saw it entirely. Excellent series with no fillers; great fights, great plot, mostly great acting. Sadly, Spartacus is done.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 am 

Spaatacus is a show of worrth. But shouldn't we be discussing this in the TV thread? ;)

I read that Starz was considering creating a spinoff series dedicated to Julius Caesar, presumably to be played by the dude that portrayed him on Spartacus. I have kind of mixed feelings about it. As much as I'd love to see them do another XXXTREME ANCIENT HISTORY show, the whole Caesar story is fairly played out, and was already covered excellently by HBO years ago in Rome. I guess they could go more in-depth with this one, which would also be neat, but in the end I'd rather see them do something different and focus on a period in history that still has lots of potential for epic head-hackery but is a little less cliche, like the Punic Wars or something. Or a later period in Roman history, when the Empire is beginning to crumble. Something like the latter would make more sense in relation to what they started with Spartacus.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 am 

Loved that show! I wish I had stuck to it on the beginning. The pilot was rough. The creators even admit that now. I gave up after episode 2 but the show found itself by episode 4. I picked it back up during Gods of the Arena, then went back and watch the first season again. It was one of the best shows on TV. Yeah, Andy was awesome as Spartacus but Liam did a hell of a job.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 am 

Episode 1 and 2 were a little draggy, admittedly, but it was necessary for the buildup and origin of Spartacus, imo. Jumping right into the action would wreck the feel.

I love the new Caesar though and I wouldn't mind that idea you mentioned Starz is working on. Helps that I haven't seen HBO Rome ;)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 pm 

The Fall or the Roman Empire done like they did with Spartacus would be incredible.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:44 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
The Fall or the Roman Empire done like they did with Spartacus would be incredible.

I'm with you guys there. The decadence and politically carnivorous could be seasons worth of material. Also, social commentary could be made easily what with the unexpected barbarians doing serious amounts of damage, like Howard Bloom explored in portions of The Lucifer Principle.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm 

Dont have Starz right now.. :(
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 pm 

Haha, just torrent or stream it dude:P

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:09 am 

Yeah, tubeplus has all the seasons plus the prequal Gods of the Arena. I wish we could have seen Oenomaus' battle with Theokoles in Gods of The Arena but that was a much older event. I was not surprised Nick E. Tarabay stole the prequal episodes with the Ashur character he played so masterfully. Diabolical. Funny, I wanted Batiatus dead ever since we were first introduce with the character but once he dies I realized no one could fill the void John Hannah had left behind as a great orator. Also R.I.P. Andy Whitfield, great job.

Producer Steven S. DeKnight has said he is pitching Starz the idea of a sci-fi show ala Aliens/Halo called Incursion for next year with lots of sex so my guess any Spartacus spin-offs will be off the table for a while. Spartacus was crazy. Regular Hollywood flicks don't even come close to the amount of gore, sex, and drama that show had. I had caught up with the Game of Thrones series waiting for it to resume when I discovered Spartacus and thought this moved a lot faster. There's less characters to keep track of, better fighting scenes, and greater sets. To fill my ancient warrior series fix I'm now into the History Channel's Vikings series and so far it hasn't been a let down. The Valhalla Rising similiarities are there. Looks like Scandinavian mythology will more prominent in Vikings, wheras in Valhalla Rising it was rather vague. Overall it looks promising.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 am 

I started getting into Spartacus and Game of Thrones while patiently awaiting the second half of Breaking Bad season 5 to get done (it shouldn't take a fucking year to make 6 episodes..) and really got absorbed into the first 2 seasons of Spartacus, I haven't seen Gods of the Arena yet but I may have to soon, some of those flashbacks in season 2 looked pretty sweet but it's basically just a side plot which has no standing in the main plot. I guess I'm impartial as to which Spartacus is better, Whitefield and the Liam dude both do a pretty good job but it was definitely weird seeing a totally different guy in season 2.
Personally, I thought Ashur was a pretty cool character in season 1 and the beginning of season 2, but he makes himself pretty universally unlikeable during the second season.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I started getting into Spartacus and Game of Thrones while patiently awaiting the second half of Breaking Bad season 5 to get done (it shouldn't take a fucking year to make 6 episodes..) and really got absorbed into the first 2 seasons of Spartacus, I haven't seen Gods of the Arena yet but I may have to soon, some of those flashbacks in season 2 looked pretty sweet but it's basically just a side plot which has no standing in the main plot. I guess I'm impartial as to which Spartacus is better, Whitefield and the Liam dude both do a pretty good job but it was definitely weird seeing a totally different guy in season 2.
Personally, I thought Ashur was a pretty cool character in season 1 and the beginning of season 2, but he makes himself pretty universally unlikeable during the second season.

Definitely check out Gods of the Arena. It fills in a lot of the back story to the non-Spartacus characters. It's what got me hooked on the show.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:

Definitely check out Gods of the Arena. It fills in a lot of the back story to the non-Spartacus characters. It's what got me hooked on the show.

Seconded. Otherwise Gannicus just seems to be a great fighter who pops out of nowhere, and Crixus just seems to be a gladiator jock/bully.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

The Crixus back story could have been done a lot better. Didn't they allude to his prowess as a tribal warrior in the first season? It would have been cool to see how he got captured. I thought I saw him looking like a Bear Clan warrior. Instead we get this oaf who we are supposed to believe was dumber than dirt. On second thought, it was an older event and so the Gannicus love story naturally had to push him into the background.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm 

nekuomanteia wrote:
The Crixus back story could have been done a lot better. Didn't they allude to his prowess as a tribal warrior in the first season? It would have been cool to see how he got captured. I thought I saw him looking like a Bear Clan warrior. Instead we get this oaf who we are supposed to believe was dumber than dirt. On second thought, it was an older event and so the Gannicus love story naturally had to push him into the background.

No Crixus was captured before he was of age to fight. He mentiones this to Gannicus in Gods of War. I liked the series a lot though sometimes it did annoy me how pretty much al the main characters turn into undefeatable semi gods during battle. Mowing down roman after roman even if it's 1 against 15.

One thing that I liked was after the last episode they showed all the important characters of all seasons during the credits including Andy Whitfield.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 am 

If you were a slave and had to pick a Dominus who would it be? No, not a house-slave, a gladiator-slave. lol

Illithia

Mira

Lucretia

Gaia

Laeta

Saxa

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am 

Laeta, simply because she wouldn't abuse me horribly.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm 

somefella wrote:
Laeta, simply because she wouldn't abuse me horribly.

I would kill for being abused by Lucretia as she did with Crixus night after night.

What about Saxa? she only wants to fuck all day long, that can't be bad...

Kiwion wrote:
nekuomanteia wrote:

No Crixus was captured before he was of age to fight. He mentiones this to Gannicus in Gods of War. I liked the series a lot though sometimes it did annoy me how pretty much al the main characters turn into undefeatable semi gods during battle. Mowing down roman after roman even if it's 1 against 15.

One thing that I liked was after the last episode they showed all the important characters of all seasons during the credits including Andy Whitfield.

The idea of showing them to train a lot was precisely to convince the audience the guys were way superior warriors than the roman scum. Remember Ashur? when he kicked the asses of like 7 or 8 soldiers, then he said to Glaber 'and I was considered the lowest my kin' (or something like that).

I also liked who they showed Andy. He was a better Spartacus IMO, but Liam did a great job, especially on the last season.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm 

Superior warriors in a one on one fight sure. What I'm saying they overdid it quite a bit. Especially considering most of the time they weren't wearing armor, and about half the time facing actual roman soldiers instead of city guards.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 pm 

This show is consistently very entertaining even if it's not always really all that "good" if you know what I mean. The choppy faux-Latin pacing of the dialogue sometimes sounds good but sometimes is just silly as hell ("Jupiter's cock!"). I love the over-the-top gore and nudity but sometimes I wish there were more "analog" special effects and less CGI blood. Oh well, thems the breaks.

I actually haven't finished it yet. I think I need to watch the last 3 or 4 episodes of the last season.

I agree that the original dude was the better Spartacus, but I think the writers are well aware of that and have done a better job of expanding the cast/plot beyond him so that the new guy doesn't have as much screen time.

The most attractive women on the show are Gaia and Melitta. Mira was pretty cute too. I'm not really a big Lucy Lawless fan, sorry :P

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:56 am 

I have never seen this show and I don't know anything about it or the plot but there's just one thing I have to know.

Does it have the classic I AM SPARTACUS scene?

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:22 am 

Of course, but diiferent. Wouldn't wanna spoil it for ya. If you really wanna know you can probably find it on youtube.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 am 

baron samedi wrote:
I have never seen this show and I don't know anything about it or the plot but there's just one thing I have to know.

Does it have the classic I AM SPARTACUS scene?

Yeah, it was a nice touch to the series finale credits too.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 am 

My favorite episodes were That Thing in The Pit, Kill Them All, but above all Party Favors/Old Wounds where Andy gives a great performance in the aftermath of Varro's death. I was stunned to see him kill his best friend but most of all at the bravery it took for both of them to acquiesce to Numerius.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 am 

I like the show, but haven't watched in awhile. I'll have to pick it up again. I stopped subscribing to Starz and didn't pick up on the Netflix streams.

I really liked the work of John Hannah on that series, so I am a little curious how they replaced what he was bringing to it after he left.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
This show is consistently very entertaining even if it's not always really all that "good" if you know what I mean. The choppy faux-Latin pacing of the dialogue sometimes sounds good but sometimes is just silly as hell ("Jupiter's cock!"). I love the over-the-top gore and nudity but sometimes I wish there were more "analog" special effects and less CGI blood. Oh well, thems the breaks.

I actually haven't finished it yet. I think I need to watch the last 3 or 4 episodes of the last season.

I agree that the original dude was the better Spartacus, but I think the writers are well aware of that and have done a better job of expanding the cast/plot beyond him so that the new guy doesn't have as much screen time.

The most attractive women on the show are Gaia and Melitta. Mira was pretty cute too. I'm not really a big Lucy Lawless fan, sorry :P

I loved that faux-latin, ESPECIALLY "Jupiter's cock!" hahaha. I've ordered the T-shirt with that slogan too :D

I thought Illythia and Sura were the most attractive.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:11 pm 

Drinking game: take a shot every time someone utters the word "Apologies"

Reply to topic