Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:59 pm 

Part of me is wondering if this is just Bandwagon Bashing like The Unspoken King's leak, which prompted the review release date rule. Bastardhead's is easily the best of the bunch. Zodi's reads like he had a gun to his head and only forty seconds to write a review. It's quite the dongsucker if I may be frank. I know Subrick had a fiasco with his before resubmitting it now, and the other is acceptable. I've only heard this album once (and will be reviewing it because I got a promo copy for the reissue, ironically) and haven't heard it enough to judge how it sounds, but yeah, this thread is getting really stupid; reeks of everyone trying to one-up each other. I think it's time to move along, after a page of discussion and Zodi posting a huge story that has dick to do with discussing reviews.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 pm 

I actually wrote my review a while back when Subrick first reviewed it and I figured it was worth a listen if it had six near-100% reviews. I usually let a review sit overnight before I proofread it, I forgot about this one.

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Zodi's reads like he had a gun to his head and only forty seconds to write a review.

I think my review reflected my lack of enthusiasm. Extensive detailing isn't required when the implications resound with those who understand them. Something I consider with reviews is that it seems very common, especially for albums that are acclaimed by any group of people/reviewers, is that I don't think most readers want to read a gushing/raging review that reaches further than the eye can see. I feel a frustration with technical metal albums where it seems like it expected to respond to it with equally excessive and self-indulgent reviews, while the album just makes me sick of excesses of both music and writing instruments. Sure, my review is short, but do you get the point?

It seems like the most unpopular point of my reviews of excessive, wanky albums is that I give simple descriptions of them. I have yet to hear a negative comment about this review, despite being even simpler and perhaps the most on-point, direct review that I've written.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... Zodijackyl

I just don't think I need to yank my crank because the musicians behind an album tugged their lugs - the only time this has come up is when there's been a lot of talk about an album, for BC and Wintersun, and there seems to be a status quo of excess. Never had anyone comment about that ~150 word review that I wrote for some mediocre death metal nobodies.

There is most certainly a status quo which is bowed to by many writers wherein their perceived expectations of their colleagues and the community, rather than embracing their medium as a means to convey their message - meaning that the impact of reflections of pretenses and perceived reception on certain albums, especially those which are held in high regard by prior reviews or those that have basked in the praiseful expectations of fans, have been artificially inflated by the status quo which they silently acknowledge through their gratuitous formatting. I find that these excesses are a poor usage of the format, with which reviewers may take liberty, to convey their thoughtful reflections and recollections of the piece of music which they are critiquing.

Most of this post? Completely self-indulgent excess. I could've stopped after a few sentences but I decided to pontificate like hells_unicorn on a Ron Paul forum to make a point of why I think the length of reviews is often a type of dick-waving in attempts to convey the significance of one's opinion. That's how I feel about these overlong, apathetic reviews.

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I think it's time to move along, after a page of discussion and Zodi posting a huge story that has dick to do with discussing reviews.

Pardon that, it's FFA material but it's nice to see some sort of activity in the review forum even if it is only peripheral discussion of review points. I think that activity may encourage some folks as there is a community of reviewers that don't always come out in the FFA or other parts of the forums. I'm always up for discussing reviews, though it seems like there is a certain, limited subset of mine that others are interested in discussing.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
It seems like the most unpopular point of my reviews of excessive, wanky albums is that I give simple descriptions of them. I have yet to hear a negative comment about this review, despite being even simpler and perhaps the most on-point, direct review that I've written.

Well 1) not many of us know of Maximum Oversatan 2) would care enough to call out a review of yours and 3) that's for a 16-minute black / speed demo, so it's not like there's a ton to talk about.

And this Beyond Creation bashing weekend just makes me :lol:.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 pm 

1) The whole BC thing is pretty lame. I don't even like the album, but all the high fiving- circle jerking stuff, lame.
2) Zodi, the issue with your reviews isn't that they're short. It's that they're poorly written and have no personality (you can replace that with original voice, or whatever) whatsoever. They're as painful to read as those longer ones you rage about! Read some of Cheeses Priced's stuff, that's how you do a short review and make it good.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:45 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Well 1) not many of us know of Maximum Oversatan 2) would care enough to call out a review of yours and 3) that's for a 16-minute black / speed demo, so it's not like there's a ton to talk about.

If that's too much Satan for you, then don't go to hell! :evil:

MichaelSnoxall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 am 

It's weird how all the negative reviews for Beyond Creation came about in the last two days. I didn't even realise. I wrote my review for it about a week ago and just forgot to post it here, then a few days later I saw Subrick post his over at SputnikMusic saying more or less the same thing that mine said.

Did I unintentionally cause a wave of hate for The Aura through my negativity expressed over a few other sites?

I must be a God.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:19 am 

Guys, you're responsible. I almost literally died when I saw the name Maximum Oversatan, but I think I've finally found a worthy successor to the throne of "best band name ever", this far held by Nuclear Chainsaw.

Holy fuck I just can't handle it :lol:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 am 

I think that the current exposure is probably due to the album's re-release by SOM, and the fact that they've splashed the promo copy on everyone's faces (I mean, email addresses).

I stand by my theory though, this was definitely a gang bang! :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 am 

MichaelSnoxall wrote:
It's weird how all the negative reviews for Beyond Creation came about in the last two days. I didn't even realise. I wrote my review for it about a week ago and just forgot to post it here, then a few days later I saw Subrick post his over at SputnikMusic saying more or less the same thing that mine said.

Did I unintentionally cause a wave of hate for The Aura through my negativity expressed over a few other sites?

I must be a God.

Bitch you're the last one on the page! :annoyed:

But yeah, let's let it go now. It's been like two solid days of harping on this. I'll call it stupid coincidence and carry on with it. The more people high five over it and act like it was some awesome orchestration to castrate this album, the less comfortable I am with even disliking it in the first place. You kids give me a bad name.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 am 

Having second thoughts are we?! Oh, the power of the masses! :tinfoil:

OK I'll stop...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am 

I stand by the album being crappy, I just don't stand by everybody else cheerleading each other for having the same opinion.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 am 

I've just seen that the epic Queensryche fanboy Empyreal gave that new Geoff Tate release a 0. That actually kinda makes me wanna check it out.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:35 am 

If you mean "fanboy of Operation Mindcrime and to a lesser degree, their first two releases," then yes. :) Otherwise I'm not THAT big of a fan...ha ha.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:37 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I've just seen that the epic Queensryche fanboy Empyreal gave that new Geoff Tate release a 0. That actually kinda makes me wanna check it out.

The way "Jet City Woman" was mutilated on that album makes me uneasy. The rest of the album might be trite, dishonest legal fodder, but the way they turned a classic into the same while being unable to even remotely cover the thing properly is a blow to someone who even likes Queensryche.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 am 

I didn't even see that the last 4 songs were rerecorded for the record. I'll give them a listen now.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MichaelSnoxall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I stand by the album being crappy, I just don't stand by everybody else cheerleading each other for having the same opinion.

You misinterpret my words. I wasn't cheerleading anyone else for having the same opinion of the album. I just thought everyone loved it and I had seen nary a shred of hate for it, ever. But as I said, I wrote my review a week ago and forgot about posting it here, so I posted it yesterday and noticed the other negative reviews for it and thought how weird it was that so many people decided to up and hate it at the same time.

I had disliked it for a while, but wrote the review for the 2013 re-release. Anyways, not to keep going on about it. I was just surprised by the coincidence is all.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm 

Man, I might do a counter-counter review of The Aura now just for the shit fun of it, cause it's one of the few technical death metal albums I've actually liked in recent years. Fuck the haters.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
I didn't even see that the last 4 songs were rerecorded for the record. I'll give them a listen now.

If you are in any way a fan of old Queensryche, you will be depressed for no less than 5 days.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:24 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Man, I might do a counter-counter review of The Aura now just for the shit fun of it, cause it's one of the few technical death metal albums I've actually liked in recent years. Fuck the haters.

It's got memorable melodies and hooks a plenty actually, which is more than anybody can say for Brain Drill and that ilk. Still hardly one of my favourite things in the world but I can endorse it to an extent. That bass tone is not great though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm 

Is the new Arsis review written by the guy who did that rejected Immolation review? His writing is similarly obnoxious.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm 

Yes, indeed :) This guy: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Dep ... onilosophy

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/R ... onilosophy :( I'll tell DRD!!!!! The dude has BTBAM, The Faceless and Cradle of Filth in his top 10 on facebook, yep Razorwyre is not quite for him...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm 

Ok, Opeth Royal Albert Hall DVD review almost done. I had a blast writing this one, it's usually like an hour and a half, now I think it was... 40 minutes? Just need to double check everything.

Going to do some less ultra-positive reviews next, I want more variety. :P

RapeTheDead wrote:
counter-counter review of The Aura

We need to go deeper.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 pm 

It is indeed a great DVD. Only things about it that I wish were different were a couple differences in the 2nd set and Mikael still gave a crap about how his harsh vocals sounded.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

Forest of October, Advent and April Ethereal!!!!!!!!! I own the 2 DVDs and 3 CDs version, it's a great one. A bit better than Roundhouse Tapes too even if they play the whole Blackwater Park album, I'm not that fond of this album to be honest and I rarely like when bands play whole albums except perhaps when Megadeth played RIP.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 pm 

What about compared to Lamentations? If there's any one thing I can say that Lamentations has over the RAH show, it's that Mikael's growls were at their peak during that period.

Also, Martin Lopez speeding up The Drapery Falls makes it so much cooler.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:07 pm 

Yeah well, for me the DVD is absolutely plain amazing. I did note that the harsh vocals could sometimes be better (he does a good job but sometimes they just aren't as varied as on the albums). And well, I would have definitely preferred Still Life (or Ghost Reveries but I guess that's too new for anniversary), but Blackwater Park is a really solid album and damn, a fair share of the songs on it just gain so much on this one.

I have some cases when I'd love the band to play an album in its entirety live, but I think the only band ever where my choice of album would have any chances of success is Dream Theater with Scenes From a Memory. Unfortunately my favourite album/song choices tend to be sort of unintentionally hipster. :(

Lamentations is very cool but I think there's a lot of improvement visible on the RAH DVD. Maybe his growls were a little better back then, but the performances and the sound are just perfect on this one.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:12 pm 

Lamentations has probably the band at its peak and all, but I'm not a big fan of the set list. Deliverance and Damnation are among my least favorites. There's still fucking amazing moments like Windowpane and A Fair Judgement. I don't quite see a difference in Mike's growls between Lamentations and Roundhouse Tapes but it's obvious that he got weaker on RAH.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 pm 

Lamentations is what brought The Drapery Falls up for me as my 2nd favorite off Blackwater Park. The performance of that song on that DVD is just amazing.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 pm 

For me the absolute #1 on Lamentations is Closure. I love the track on the album, but the live version...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 am 

xexyzl wrote:
Is the new Arsis review written by the guy who did that rejected Immolation review? His writing is similarly obnoxious.

That review is terrible.

About the Opeth DVD, Mikael's harsh vocals sounds pretty bad, not as shitty as the last Bloodbath DVD but still very lacking. Way better setlist than Lamentations but this latter has the best performance and sound.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
xexyzl wrote:

That review is terrible.

I've made the mistake of reading his Chaostar review, I mean a 0% called my attention. Talk about being self-indulgent with your writing...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm 

Damn, that review is a mess. So, he liked Chaostar 'until' he knew the guy behind the band was on Scepticflesh? also, bashing bands of using keys to provide a wall of sound would be ok if Chaostar was a symphonic METAL band, but it's not, it's neoclassical stuff so what's the point?

How in hell he can talk positively about a song only to bash it on the next paragraph? literally says about Medea that the song experiments in the right direction, just to after saying the 'techno' of it (wtf?) is out of context, hinting Dave Vincent had to do with the songwriting and leaking of such techno elements into the album/song. Did that guy really hear the album by any means? I don't think so.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 pm 

I love seeing this guy's stuff in the queue, because it's almost always retarded, but well written and descriptive enough to not reject. I think it's been a while since we've had a Falconsbane type character around here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 pm 

I don't follow this reviewer, but seeing his reviews I noticed the Razorwyre one and I remember being infuriated at it. Delete-worthy for how retarded and ill-informed he is.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 pm 

What I've read of Falco's work is pretty awful, and this guy is worse. Just abominably bad writing.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 pm 

Hmm, I don't know, his stuff is really fun to read if you do it in a pirate voice.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:21 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hmm, I don't know, his stuff is really fun to read if you do it in a pirate voice.

I genuinely laughed at this. :oh shit:

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:50 pm 

Wow, I didn't see the Chaostar review until now. Holy shit. I've never seen someone so spectacularly juvenile, ill-informed, and petty write something in such purple fucking prose and with such pompous self-importance before. It's not so much that he's an idiot, it's that he's an idiot who thinks he's a genius.

I know that people in general on MA aren't big fans of EDM, but I think even most of you all can listen to Medea and recognize its very sparse use of synths as not fucking "techno music." If you were to pigeonhole the style I guess you would hear those types of synths in some goth/industrial or EBM, but they're hardly the throbbing House or Trance that often gets mistaken for "techno." At least he has the minimum knowledge gained through cultural osmosis to distinguish between "techno" and dubstep I guess?

There are a host of other problems with that review, but the whole "enlightened Metalhead who is completely ignorant and simultaneously disdainful of all electronic music" shtick has worn really fucking thin for me.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:38 am 

Empy and Ozzy basically nailed it on their reviews of the new Taintryche. I've already aired enough grievances on the band's recent work (honestly, I don't think I could take any more after Dedicated to Chaos), so I won't be joining in on the fun, but these pretty much cover it. :nono:

MichaelSnoxall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 am 

xexyzl wrote:
At least he has the minimum knowledge gained through cultural osmosis to distinguish between "techno" and dubstep I guess?

Well, he gets credit for that. Almost anybody these days hears a wobble, or a "wub", and immediately cries, "Dubstep, dubstep!"

Apart from the fact that next to no-one these days even knows what dubstep is.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 520  Next