Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:18 pm 

Good deal, never heard of them.

SweetSilence... def be interested in watching.

infinitenexus it'll get better as long as you don't do something stupid like ask someone to kill your soon to be ex-

Jammed with the doom band today. they wrote a new song. it's more stoner than anything I wanted to play but I actually happen to like it so I guess it'll stay as long as they don't pump out more shit like that.. well I don't think they will the bassist really hates stoner rock as well for the most part.

wrote a 54R song and the vocalists came and recorded 3 songs for the next full length.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 pm 

They're a smaller company out in California that makes hand hammered Turkish cymbals. Nick Menza ex-Megadeth is among the guys on their roster.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:25 am 

Jammed with Mortal Mess Saturday. Getting close. Might be ready to do a show or two in the near future. We have all the songs on the old demo down, with some 2nd guitar parts and some twists that weren't present before.

We also have 3 other songs that aren't on the demo. 2 are very close to completion. 1 other just needs to be worked out between me & our bass player (we are both new to the project). Shouldn't be too tough to get down. Add a cover tune, and that will give us an 8 song set.

I'm pretty excited. A 15-year hiatus from music for me - it will be fun to get back on stage again, in any capacity.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 am 

I know things will get better, I just hate that California divorces take a minimum of 6 months. So I have like 3 more months to go of living with someone I can't stand being around. I'd rather just throw some money at her, start giving her alimony, and say goodbye. But life is never that simple.

I started trying to write a song in tribute to Jeff Hanneman. I got a couple riffs down, that was it. I haven't played (or even listened to) thrash metal in a long time, so it might be tough.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Finally finished up everything that can be done to at least get it up and listened to, have to finish the insert, cd, and back cover but tracking, mix, and cover are all done and uploaded:

http://kamikazepilot.bandcamp.com/album/throatslitter

I'm digging the overall style though here's some things I would say.

It's hard to hear any form of groove between riffs and drumming, partly because the guitars just sound like a wall of fuzz. I mean, I can hear that there's something going on, I just can't hear WHAT'S going on, nahmean? The production, while actually good enough for this style of music, helps to hinder that aforementioned factor more.

Basically, I get a vibe of chaos and ugliness from the whole thing and while that's great, I do wish there were more memorable parts. But then again that could be your intention anyway, but I'm just saying :)

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 pm 

Recording next week for a split with Special Buddy Discount, Cropduster and Buz. Just got put on two more shows. One with Budd Dwyer and the other with Nak'ay.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 pm 

Yea i really don't get how you don't hear groove or riffs or how you think they sound like a wall of fuzz. it's raw certainly but honestly it's probably some of the better produced powerviolence that you will hear.

Honestly don't get the whole memorable parts either, that has to be your personal tastes and lack of knowledge of the genre I'm tackling and really there is something either messed up with your speakers and/or your ears. Not being a dick but honestly haven't heard any of those complaints from anyone even from my most picky of friends who love crystal clear production shit.

But I appreciate you taking a listen!

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:23 pm 

Learned Dearth within three listens, heheh. Now for the hard part :eek: After one long message to my friend basically saying, "fuck you, even you realize nobody else in the area can play death metal and you're fucked without me" my band is back together. I guess the way that I put it sounds really negative, but it wasn't really minus a few things here and there, it being a reply to him being a dick anyway. He's recovering from a surgery and then we're going to try and make a name for ourselves. I've been thinking about quitting my job, yeah, probably not a smart idea but that gives me so much more time. That, and the only real obligation I have at the time is paying for gas but I guess a vehicle is pretty essential for a band. Whatever happens will happen I guess.

I may be able to learn the bass parts too unless somebody else wants to. We could, although it couldn't hold a candle to the original, make covers of DsO songs as I learn them? Because I don't think anyone else has done that ;D I can do vocals kind of similar to Mikko as well, but I'm sure someone else could do it better. I've thought about doing this by myself but I don't have the mics necessary to track drums without them sounding horrible or programming them, and I'm not too great at that.

C'mon guys, I know you want to.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:26 pm 

playing some DsO would be fun but I really don't like doing covers even to show off that I can do it. If you were going to do some original material in that style that I could write my own drums to I'd be more interested.

Oh and don't quit your job. that's a terrible idea.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
Learned Dearth within three listens, heheh. Now for the hard part :eek: After one long message to my friend basically saying, "fuck you, even you realize nobody else in the area can play death metal and you're fucked without me" my band is back together. I guess the way that I put it sounds really negative, but it wasn't really minus a few things here and there, it being a reply to him being a dick anyway. He's recovering from a surgery and then we're going to try and make a name for ourselves. I've been thinking about quitting my job, yeah, probably not a smart idea but that gives me so much more time. That, and the only real obligation I have at the time is paying for gas but I guess a vehicle is pretty essential for a band. Whatever happens will happen I guess.

Uhm, just don't. If you're quitting your job to focus on your band, you will realise very quickly just how many roadblocks you encounter due to the lack of readily available savings.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
the only real obligation I have at the time is paying for gas

You are a fortunate man. Imagine how much money you'd have if you kept your job!

Hatekindler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm 

I'm in development hell atm, my band's album has been dealyed for 11 years o.o

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:

I may be able to learn the bass parts too unless somebody else wants to. We could, although it couldn't hold a candle to the original, make covers of DsO songs as I learn them? Because I don't think anyone else has done that ;D I can do vocals kind of similar to Mikko as well, but I'm sure someone else could do it better. I've thought about doing this by myself but I don't have the mics necessary to track drums without them sounding horrible or programming them, and I'm not too great at that.

What is your job that's so bad that you want to quit it (apparently your main, steady source of income to pay for shit)? I totally understand because, even though I'm un-happily un-employed, school makes me want to go swallow the contents of my medicine cabinet most of the time, but seriously? You aren't CoF or Dimmu Borgir, y'know.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

I only consider it because I work at most 20 hours a week for minimum wage at a party supply store. My boss is like the boss from Office Space with a lisp and he likes to change the schedule the day before I come into work so I'll be late, not to mention he verbally abuses almost every employee barring me because he knows I won't put up with his shit and has brought my supervisors to tears on multiple occasions. It really isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either. They ask for your availability roughly every month or two and he has yet to schedule me even close to what I have told him is best for me. And really I'm supposed to be paying my dad for my own insurance but I don't really see eye to eye with him and he owes my mom over $100,000 in child support so I figure it's the least he could do since he's never been there. Now I'm ranting, but oh well.

SLK I have something of a song put together on guitar, just working on making it a bit more cohesive and writing a solo as well as bass and maybe synth parts. I guess you could say it's kind of in that vein. I've got lyrics for it but I doubt anyone would really care for them, kind of just me cryptically babbling about shit. It's about 20 minutes in length, I've programmed the beginning of the drums but I'm not really digging the whole hour of work to get one minute of drumming OR the sounds I'm getting. I really wanted to do it all by myself since I've yet to do that, and I would like to be able to listen to it and be like, "wow, I made this." Buuuut if you like it and would like to do the drums, I think that'd be awesome, and an honor to work with the notorious ShaolinLambKiller. I'll record it and put something to keep the time behind it but I can't guarantee when that will happen due to my recent relapse, Runescape.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 pm 

I wouldn't quit your job, dude. Better option is to look for other work and try and land something else that you hate less (or hopefully enjoy).

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:22 pm 

I'd be more than happy to put some work down on that. Send it to my Pmor better yet my email: [email protected] there is no shame in getting a drummer on it cause hell you still created everything and came up with the ideas and arrangement. I'd just been making that drum programming much easier for you :p

I like that i'm notorious, I was recently told that one person wanted me in on a project but the rest didn't because I'm guessing cause I'm a dick or something on here. lol.

Hatekindler, I'd probably shoot myself if I was in that boat. the closest I have is an album that's actually been waiting on vocals for almost 4 years now and it's only half mixed. I wasn't doing the mixing and it wasn't my band orignally but I wrote the whole album... so I plan on now doing all the vocals and hopefully get the mix completed after the fact and release it under that band's name since well it was for it and technically i've been part of it for as long as the 'vocalist'

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:32 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
I wouldn't quit your job, dude. Better option is to look for other work and try and land something else that you hate less (or hopefully enjoy).

I definitely am, but one of the main reasons I was going to quit in the first place was so that I could practice the drums more. My mom works nights and sleeps until about 5 pm so I try not to play while she's asleep and all of my shifts are later in the day so that when I get home I can't play because it's too late and the neighbors have called the police before. I appreciate the encouragement to not quit though, it's definitely not the smartest idea I've had but I think it would help just about as much as it wouldn't. In the end I probably won't because that would only piss off my family more. Meh. I guess another reason is because lately my mind has been raping itself and I can't stand to be around anyone or even friends.

Since this is the musician thread, I just re-strung my guitar with Ernie Ball cobalts. They sound okay, got them tuned down to D on my Bronze Series Warlock that I've recently sanded the paint off. I plan to paint some kind of trippy fractal pattern on it, but I kind of like the look of the wood on its own and my grandpa is a master woodsmith and told me he'd help me stain it and all that. I've been looking at new pickups to replace the shit stock ones, and I think I've decided on a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and a DiMarzio on the neck, I can't remember what the models are though. I put the knobs from my old Les Paul on it because I like them better than the bland metal ones. Any recommendations for pickups? As far as my playing goes I do mostly death/black metal and a lot of bluesy stuff, recently been getting into jazz.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 pm 

My jazz band's got a session potentially lined up in December with the BBC radio, which is pretty cool.

Just about got a backthrash band together, so hopefully we'll start practising soon. I'm putting on a gig in August that I want to play, so here's hoping we can write a set in time.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
I was going to quit in the first place was so that I could practice the drums more. My mom works nights and sleeps until about 5 pm so I try not to play while she's asleep and all of my shifts are later in the day so that when I get home I can't play because it's too late and the neighbors have called the police before. I appreciate the encouragement to not quit though, it's definitely not the smartest idea I've had but I think it would help just about as much as it wouldn't. In the end I probably won't because that would only piss off my family more. Meh. I guess another reason is because lately my mind has been raping itself and I can't stand to be around anyone or even friends.

Fair enough, it is up to you at the end of the day, not trying to tell you what to do or not to do. Keeping in the musical-sphere, have you thought about an electric kit? They can be expensive, but certainly make life easier.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:55 pm 

Well more plans of what I'll be accomplishing tmwr, which is hopefully this cover song for Gurthang on drums. and once that is completed probably several songs for KP's next ep that I've been planning.

I have my idea...well picture for what I'll do for the challenge. Well I took a few of the area that I think is the most interesting, printing them up and just going to hang them up and stare at them while plucking around and see what gets brought up.

Oh also went and purchased this from a local pawn shop:

Well this picture isn't one of mine, but it's pretty much this exactly down to the dirty and nast. the 200watt version, not the 100watt one. Quite pleased. I took my 2x15 Kustom cab up there to try it out and I only had it on 7 and it pretty much was shaking the shotguns off the racks on the wall.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:57 am 

Recording vocals in a home studio with BROKEN AIR-CONDITIONING FUCK. Since all the doors and windows have to be shut and the fans off(turning a bedroom into a makeshift vocal booth), and the weather outside is incredibly humid, three guys shut into that hotbox become very irritable very quickly, which actually helps the vocal performance :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:57 pm 

here is the actual one I got.

recording possibly the song for the challenge I'll take another listen.

did a yzordderrex song today, Uzumaki song and recorded drums to this Gurthang cover of something.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:02 pm 

Did a couple of Forestfather tracks. I'm planning on demo some stuff in a couple of weeks for Mike and SLK to hear.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm 

I think I'm fucked. Both of my guitarists are short on time due to their jobs, both of us (me and vocalist) founding members are stewing and my vocalist has hinted at jumping ship soon...
Damn my luck :/
I am going to work a bit harder to get shit done, but I don't expect any success really. Try anyways, though.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I think I'm fucked. Both of my guitarists are short on time due to their jobs, both of us (me and vocalist) founding members are stewing and my vocalist has hinted at jumping ship soon...
Damn my luck :/
I am going to work a bit harder to get shit done, but I don't expect any success really. Try anyways, though.

That's a bummer. Hopefully everything works out in the end though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm 

My magic has done it's trick! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

about time I hear some new material Kvel!!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:01 pm 

Well, I just arrived in west texas today. I'll be here for two months for some job-related training. I'm just glad to be spending two months away from my soon-to-be-ex-wife.

I have my laptop with me and a flying v, so I'm ready to make some music. I'm not using my usual drum program, but a free one I got online that doesn't sound bad at all, but definitely has a more old school vibe to it, i.e., not heavily processed like many modern drums. I don't have my audio interface with me either, so I'm just plugging into the 1/8" mic input on my laptop, so I have to keep the gain way down or it's fuzz city. The more natural sounding drums and the lower gain guitars actually make for a pretty neat "old school" vibe, very raw and natural and open, but not muddy, fizzy, and lacking bass like a lot of other "raw" recordings. I've already recorded a few snippets of songs and I'm digging how it sounds. I may record my jeff hanneman tribute song like this, to get a more old school vibe. Who knows.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am 

I started writing something very Alice in Chains-esque last night. I'm digging it. I've always wanted to write something like their music, something slow and dark without necessarily being heavy metal.

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:45 am 

Currently my band is at a standstill, no recording or shows...We actually took since january to start on an album but we have only managed to get guitar tracks done...Sad eh? If anyone is looking to do a collaboration effort on a project, i have recording gear and access to any instrument. Looking to do some obscure Black Metal....

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 pm 

Count_Grimith wrote:
Currently my band is at a standstill, no recording or shows...We actually took since january to start on an album but we have only managed to get guitar tracks done...Sad eh? If anyone is looking to do a collaboration effort on a project, i have recording gear and access to any instrument. Looking to do some obscure Black Metal....

Hit me up. maybe we can do something.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:49 pm 

hit me up as well I might want to contribute some drums to that.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm 

Hey infinitenexus, which drum program did you start using?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm 

Drumcore free 3. The cymbals can be a little eh sounding but other than that I like it.

Worked on my slower alice in chains style song a bit today. I have the majority of a song hashed out, I just need to work on the solo and add some little bits of bluesy lead guitar here and there and write some lyrics. And I guess get a mic that can plug into my laptop. Not sure how well I'm going to do clean singing, as my voice is slightly nasal, but I guess that's nothing a little studio magic can't fix. I'll just have to work on harmonizing to get that jerry cantrell and layne staley sound. Good thing I have a few years of vocal training.

Not having all my usual recording stuff and guitar stuff (full DAW with nice mics and monitors, Engl and Bugera and handmade tube amps, half a dozen guitars) and having only bare basics right now (one guitar, a laptop, no audio interface, not even a mic, I'm going to get a cheap usb one though) has me wanting to branch out and really write different music. Lighter music, more like hard rock, but dark and moody. Maybe something like a cross between alice in chains and grand magus in their early days. Something like that. We'll see. I have two months here in the middle of west texas without anything to do after work and on the weekends, so I should hopefully be writing a lot of music.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:05 pm 

I can't seem to work out how to use EZDrummer with Reaper. How mentally challenged am I?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:45 pm 

Google it. There's a good tutorial out there, which is how I set it up. Then on your main drum track, insert a new midi item. That's how you actually program them. C2 is the kick drum, if I remember correctly.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm 

Here's part one of the tutorial. It's with an older version of reaper, but still the same. This puts the different stuff on different tracks so you can EQ it all seperately, which is very important.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/A ... p/17615362

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 am 

Did vocals for a friend's ska band at a bar show yesterdy. Lots
of energy and good vibes and feeback. He wants me to
join the band but I'm not super down. I'll probably he performing an acoustic set of originals at the same bar next week.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am 

Working on a Swans cover, Failure to be exact. The original is an acoustic track, but I have turned it into some sort of sludgey doom thing. Hoping it will come out well, and not be too much of a disgrace to the original.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

about time I hear some new material Kvel!!

These new tracks are mostly acoustic, but I did 1 song which is pretty death/doom in terms of riffs that oddly fits well with the rest of the stuff. I'll be able to record distorted guitars in a week or so, but the acoustic stuff can be done sooner.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:00 pm 

whatever works.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 185  Next