Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 pm 

Honestly, I like Eternal Darkness but my hopes for this are nearly non-existent. The demo looked really unimpressive (those creature things notably looked like shit) and the voice acting was a flashback to the 90's.
Then again, I suppose this is a very early build.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:56 pm 

Well that looked boring and generic as fuck :/ was totally psyched when I first read this but now? meh. What's with the eye of sauron there near the end of the trailer? Also 'spiritual successor' is such a stupid term, they're obviously making at some sort of sequel/prequel. You can see in the IGN video that it's basically the same church/chapel/monastary as in Eternal Darkness.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm 

There's The Evil Within (Psycho Break in Japan) from the creator of Resident Evil.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -controls/
http://evilwithin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1032#p1032

Some highlights from both links
Quote:
-The areas are designed to make players feel claustrophobic, then provide relief through open areas. The cycle is repeated over the course of the game, with enemies appearing in unexpected ways and places.
-Mikami is aiming for "the perfect balance between horror and action"
-Players will have "appropriate types of weapons with a limited amount of ammunition to get them through"
-Player movement plays an important part in survival. Sneaking and crouching may be necessary when monsters are nearby.
-There are not many sound effects and not much music. – Shinji did say that in regards to sound, it will be used to signal events and information. He also said how there will be enemies that we won´t be able to see but we will be able to hear them (I think this is like when you hear the Tank in Left 4 Dead but you don´t know where it is).

Basically seems like they're doing a scarier Resident Evil 4.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm 

HerrDerQual wrote:
Does anybody know if Majora's Mask 3DS actually will be released? I keep hearing "Yes" and "No", so I don't know what to think anymore. D:

They wanted to get a new Zelda out for the 3DS before they possibly remake this. I hope they do.

ghost223 wrote:
Speaking of 3DS, I am debating getting an XL this summer, so would anyone who has one say it's worth getting? I have a Vita, which I love, but really was considering a 3DS for Pokemon, Zelda and Monster Hunter.

I do not regret my purchase. I can imagine the screen would take a bit of getting used to if you only been playing the Vita. The games are fantastic regardless of how jaggy things look. There's enough good titles to justify getting one, plus you have the entire DS range if you haven't already dived into that. There's much more on the system than the titles you stated (Fire Emblemmmmmmmmm).

It's got me excited about gaming again.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
ghost223 wrote:
Speaking of 3DS, I am debating getting an XL this summer, so would anyone who has one say it's worth getting? I have a Vita, which I love, but really was considering a 3DS for Pokemon, Zelda and Monster Hunter.

I do not regret my purchase. I can imagine the screen would take a bit of getting used to if you only been playing the Vita. The games are fantastic regardless of how jaggy things look. There's enough good titles to justify getting one, plus you have the entire DS range if you haven't already dived into that. There's much more on the system than the titles you stated (Fire Emblemmmmmmmmm).

It's got me excited about gaming again.

Shit, I forgot about DS and DSi compatibility, never had one of those either, so I guess there's a whole library of games to experience. I'll definitely get a 3DS when I have the extra money.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Honestly, I like Eternal Darkness but my hopes for this are nearly non-existent. The demo looked really unimpressive (those creature things notably looked like shit) and the voice acting was a flashback to the 90's.
Then again, I suppose this is a very early build.

In fairness, if they had the money to build an awesome-looking demo with all the bells and whistles of the final game, they wouldn't be asking for 1.5 million bucks. I dunno, I have some hope, I really, really want it to be good. Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games of all time.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 am 

Isn't that a really bad way to look at it? Their game looking not so great justifies them wanting a ton of money. Isn't that kind of backwards?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 pm 

You're not funding a completed game, you're funding a concept. I'm not saying the game not looking great justifies them wanting a lot of money, but if the concept sounds good, the trailer shouldn't dissuade you from funding them. What we're seeing in that video is essentially the equivalent of a movie's "teaser trailer" that they put out to generate interest before any of the movie has actually been shot, so few if any of the models/textures/animations we see will probably end up in the final game.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 pm 

That's true. Still, 1.5 million is crazy. If they actually achieve that, we're entering a whole new age of game making.

Hadrosauron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
That's true. Still, 1.5 million is crazy. If they actually achieve that, we're entering a whole new age of game making.

We entered that age last year. Several high-profile projects have raised more than that. Most of them asked for less in their initial pitch, but there have been a few exceptions (Camelot Unchained asked for $2 million and just barely reached it).

That said, I think this particular project is going to be a flop, with several major factors working against it:

-All the big successes have been based on nostalgia for beloved PC franchises, whereas this is based on nostalgia for a single GameCube game. I'm very skeptical that the console audience is as plugged into the whole crowdfunding movement as the PC audience is.
-They're going to miss out on a ton of coverage by doing their own site rather than being on Kickstarter.
-Even people who liked the original are likely going to be skeptical given that the developer's track record in the past decade is bad to nonexistent.

Of course, since they're doing their own thing, they don't have the KS restriction of getting nothing when they don't reach their funding goal, so they'll probably still bring in a few hundred thousand and keep it.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Well, the most successful game Kickstarters can get more than twice that amount. Still, it's not starting well at all for this one, looks like they might crash and burn hard. I wonder if not being on Kickstarter is costing them more than KS's cut of the funding would be, due to less exposure and backer confidence. Or maybe people just can't trust Dyack anymore (can't blame them).

EDIT: Um yeah, so basically what Hadrosauron said.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:37 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Or maybe people just can't trust Dyack anymore (can't blame them).

This is sad. Eternal Darkness is my favorite game but this destroys all reason to hope for a good sequel. I hope they don't release whatever is it that they are doing under the ED name or any references to it.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 pm 

Been playing Final Fantasy Tactics again. Fifteen years later and the replay value never diminishes.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Hadrosauron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:13 pm 

Moving on to a much more promising crowdfunding drive, we have Hex, a TCG/MMO from the guys behind the (excellent) WoW TCG. I've always thought that boring combat was the biggest downfall of MMOs, so if this can make an engaging core card-playing experience and leaven it with the social/persistence/progression features of an MMO, it could be huge. Mechanically, it looks to be closer to Magic than WoW, but with some resource streamlining and a fair amount of mechanics that would be impossible in a physical game. It's also built with a focus on draft play, which has always been my favorite format. The KS backer tiers offer some pretty packages with major discounts over the post-launch pack prices.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Been playing Final Fantasy Tactics again. Fifteen years later and the replay value never diminishes.

The PSP remake infuriates me with its constant battle animation slowdown. But, it's either that or "This is the way!"

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:27 am 

STALKER: SoC is fucking addicting. Playing with the AMK mod on master, about to reach Pripyat. Thought it was pretty cool earlier when I saw some loners from the Cordon moved on to the Army Warehouse area.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 am 

Currently replaying Dragon Quest IX. I'm going to go back and replay the remakes they did of DQ games for the DS after I'm done with DQ IX. I sort of feel like a dork playing a DS, but whatever... :)

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:25 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
STALKER: SoC is fucking addicting. Playing with the AMK mod on master, about to reach Pripyat. Thought it was pretty cool earlier when I saw some loners from the Cordon moved on to the Army Warehouse area.

Shadow of Chernobyl is legendary. I should play that game again soon.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:54 pm 

Fire Emblem is consuming my soul. Trying to get my dudes to marry each other is so rewarding and worthwhile.

Erdrickgr wrote:
Currently replaying Dragon Quest IX. I'm going to go back and replay the remakes they did of DQ games for the DS after I'm done with DQ IX. I sort of feel like a dork playing a DS, but whatever... :)

The DS was an awesome handheld. No need to feel like a dork. How is this game? I recently bought it for like £6 online, heard some good things about it.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:04 pm 

When DQ IX first came out I was sort of let down, just because I enjoyed DQ VIII so much and was hoping for something huge in scope on a regular console. However, having played it a couple times through I'll say it's a good game, as long as you're fine with turn based combat.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:27 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Erdrickgr wrote:

The DS was an awesome handheld. No need to feel like a dork. How is this game? I recently bought it for like £6 online, heard some good things about it.

Good game, fun story, lame endgame.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:56 pm 

The Eternal Darkness spiritual successor crowdfunding is now available on Kickstarter (guess they found a US friend to handle the financing):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617 ... e-eternals

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:40 pm 

If this were to fall short of its funding goal (and at this point all signs indicate that it will), would this be the first high-profile Kickstarter videogame project to fail?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 pm 

Actually, the info on the kickstarter site is making this look really cool. Eternal Darkness is a game that naturally lends itself to the episodic format, and the characters that have been announced so far seem good. I dunno, we'll see. I'll probably contribute some small amount, just based on how much I want to see a faithful followup to Eternal Darkness.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 am 

Diamhea wrote:

That game might have the best soundtrack of all PS games. Or at least it's in the top 5 for me.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 am 

All the FF soundtracks on PS are pretty solid, but 9 might be favorite. Chrono Cross probably has my favorite PS soundtrack, though.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 am 

Deus Ex Human Revolution was an amazing game. With the exception of Metal Gear Solids, it's probably the best combat/stealth type game out there.

I mostly played as a hacker which was loads of fun. Once you hack a computer that controls turrets and robots, that entire level pretty much belongs to you. Usually those computers are hard to get to, but the payoff is great once you get there.

Boss fights are kind of dumb. I like difficulty and the one or 2 hit KO wasn't the bad thing. It was that you really couldn't learn from mistakes and try over. I had no idea what I was doing wrong or right at times. The 2nd to the last boss fight I kept dying. So I just spammed grenades, mines, and some shotgun blasts and won. If there was some special trick to it, then I missed it. If that was the trick, then that's kind of dumb. The 2nd boss fight was fun. You had to learn a pattern and what makes the boss vulnerable. And that difficult trial and error was fun.

Character animations can be bad at times.

So that's it. 2 bad things. Everything else about the game was great. If Uncharted is like playing Indiana Jones, then Deus Ex Human Revolution is like playing Bladerunner.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm 

Been on a binge of PS2 games I never completed/didn't even bother to check out. Recently beat Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3.

Started playing Shadow of the Colossus a couple of nights ago, beautiful game!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 am 

Playing Bioshock Infinite. This is like discovering the first one all over again after the lackluster sequel. The story is pretty great and they do a good job emotionally investing you and connecting with Elizabeth. I was afraid the whole thing would be an escort mission but that's really not the case.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 pm 

Does anyone here remember what was the name of Soul Reaver's main theme? You know, the one they played during the intro. I can't remember for the life me.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

Bought System Shock 2 on Steam. Played only 1 hour so far, but looks promising.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Does anyone here remember what was the name of Soul Reaver's main theme? You know, the one they played during the intro. I can't remember for the life me.

Ozar Midrashim.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:43 pm 

Ah, thanks a lot, Morrigan! I've been trying to remember its name so as to look it up for hours.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 pm 

So I got one month free of PS+ (thanks Kahalachan :)), and I downloaded Ratchet & Clank 4 and Sleeping Dogs.

I wonder: should I bother with Sleeping Dogs at all if I can't stand games like GTA and RDR? I mean it's free, but I wonder if I should even bother spending any time on it.

I'm thinking PS+ might be worth the money after all. Cloud storage is nice for games with locked saves (e.g. D-Souls games, and the one games where losing saves would upset me in case of a YLOD), and the fuckton of free games seem like a genuinely good deal, especially considering it includes several AAA titles.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I wonder: should I bother with Sleeping Dogs at all if I can't stand games like GTA and RDR? I mean it's free, but I wonder if I should even bother spending any time on it.

Probably not. It's fun, but it's got some flaws. However, if you don't even like games like it, then don't bother.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 pm 

Marag wrote:
Bought System Shock 2 on Steam. Played only 1 hour so far, but looks promising.

My favorite game (along with Deus Ex). The first couple of hours are terrifying. You must be around MedSci, right? What kind of skills you going for?

For better immersion I recommend turning music volume down. Some of it is great ambient but most is techno/EBM stuff, which is great for later in the game but doesn't do the atmosphere justice early on.

Goddamn now I want to play it again.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 am 

I just got all these 55 gamecube games for only $50:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Mario Party 6
Peter Jackson's King Kong: Official Movie Game
NCAA Football 2005
Battalion Wars
Harry Potter: Quiditch World Cup
Golden Eye: Rogue Agent
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
MX Superfly
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Animal Crossing
Madden 2002
Backyard Baseball
Army Men: Air Combat
Spyhunter
Super Monkey Ball Adventures
Smugglers Run: Warzone
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Tony Hawks Underground 2
Sonic Riders
007: Everything or Nothing
Spider-Man
Tony Hawks American Wasteland
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Star Fox: Assault
Metroid Prime
ATV 2: Quad Power Racing
Tony Hawk's Underground
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Tak and the Power of Juju
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
Mission Impossible: Operation Surma
Sonic Adventure Battle 2
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Sonic Adventure: Directors Cut
Star Fox Adventures
NBA Street Vol. 2
Super Mario Strikers
Super Monkey Ball
Kirby Air Ride
NFL Street
Need for Speed Most Wanted
NBA Live 2005
Shadow the Hedgehog
007: Nightfire
Madden 06
Star Wars: Rebel Strike
Army Men: Sarge's War
Mario Power Tennis
Madden 2004
NBA Street V3

Super stoked on finding copies of Wind waker and Paper mario so cheap, been wanting to play those for a while, not to mention all the others, got a lot of gaming ahead of me. They didn't have the cases or instruction manuals and came in a cd binder but hardly have any marks on them.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:54 am 

Morrigan wrote:
So I got one month free of PS+ (thanks Kahalachan :)), and I downloaded Ratchet & Clank 4 and Sleeping Dogs.

I'm thinking PS+ might be worth the money after all. Cloud storage is nice for games with locked saves (e.g. D-Souls games, and the one games where losing saves would upset me in case of a YLOD), and the fuckton of free games seem like a genuinely good deal, especially considering it includes several AAA titles.

Yeah at first when we got free PSN+ for the PSN hacking thing, they didn't offer much and it sucked. With cloud storage and the tons of free games, they really sweetened the deal. I might resubscribe.

I downloaded Infamous 2, but man there's so many games on my backlog it's not funny.

The Last Story is next. Then Far Cry 3. Then probably Pandora's Tower. Then maybe Infamous 2.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 am 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
I just got all these 55 gamecube games for only $50:

Woah, some of these games are super rare these days. Good find!

I got like 35 games unplayed. I am making progress though, beat Fire Emblem this week and played enough Pullblox to realize that the game is far too clever for me to understand. Two down, many more to go!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:57 am 

Had a quiet day at home today, so I finished up two games I've been greatly enjoying. First was Mass Effect 2, which I was finding exceptional up until the last 10 hours or so. It really isn't a great RPG or shooter, but it's competent enough to back up the wonderful amount of effort put into the characterisation, acting and writing. But sadly, it dropped the ball a bit heading into the final parts, many of the loyalty missions are downright poor, with very poor conclusions to solid set ups, and more damning is the lack of dialogue leading out of many of them, which was quite odd considering the huge amount of detail the first part of the game goes into with everything. When they get it right, it's amazing (ie Mordin), but far too many just don't feel all that well done, this wouldn't be noticeable if they didn't do it so wonderfully when they do it well. Likewise the advancement of a lot of the sexual aspects is a bit narrow, which again, would be fine in most games, but the potential the game shows from time to time does make these flaws stand out. Like you can't be nice to any female character without trying to bang them, which means you can't try to be friendly to any them without screwing up other relationships, this is exacerbated by the dialogue options you chose are often drastically different to what Shepard actually says. But of course none of these issues would show up if the level of detail and care put into the dialogue trees wasn't as unequaled as it is, and it gets a lot of love from me from the sheer workload and maturity put into it, it does need to be commended.

As a final note, I also think I played the game a little too well, since I only had one death, one which wasn't even dramatic, so I missed out on all the feels I've heard about. On the other hand, the one person who died was Miranda, and she was easily my most useful combat character, and a quick look into ME3 shows she gets even better, so I may need to replay to keep her alive before I import over to ME3 when I get it. I'll also be having a youtube wander from character deaths to see what I missed out on.

My second completion was Portal, and damn, I haven't had that much fun with a game in... ever. Such a simple, entertaining idea, and a fairly small but well laid out series of puzzles. Nothing to make you throw the mouse through your screen with frustration, just enough to make you stop for 20 seconds and think "I wonder if I can do that?", then it you try it, find out you can, and smile like an idiot for a minute and a half. Added to that the dialogue is funny, not side-splittingly hilarious, or masterfully crafted, but entertaining as all heck and that's all it needs. I'm pretty out of date with the whole gaming scene, but I sincerely hope that the concept of a $10 professionally made, 3 hour game is something people pick up on or have already picked up on. There are plenty of games out there with only three hours of content that get padded out to 15, if companies were willing to keep the game small and only charge a 5th of the price, I think there would be a shitload more great games around. Basically taking a 2 dollar app and putting it through a major studio filter, I think that's a market we need explored more.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493 ... 940  Next