Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm 

Some guy reviewed my goregrind EP and gave it a 7/10, partially because he thought the songs should have been longer. He really harped on that. I guess the dumbshit doesn't know what grindcore is, hahaha.

I've been writing snippets for my next album, and I like where it's going. My musical style is evolving away from melodic death metal and more towards regular death metal with some melodic aspects. That's probably where I'll settle, musically, because I'm not a shredder and I'll never be able to do typical death metal blazing fast solos. But I'm fine with that.

Also, Jeff Hanneman just died, so I think I want to do a tribute song to him, like I did for Chuck Schuldiner.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:40 pm 

Hitting the processing ceiling of my computer face first. Makes for a very upsetting work day.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 am 

Waiting for my pal Mike to finish up the drums on the tracks for the upcoming split with Draug, so in the meantime, I've begun work on another EP, and am still waiting to release the Dread demo I've talked about releasing for a few months now...
There will be a further delay on it now as I rewrite the lyrics to those songs, and change the titles, since everything I write for Unlife from here on out will be based on the concept of Unlife. The Old Remains EP will tie into everything as well, and once I get around to it, I will write a whole story to explain how everything pieces together, which will be included on the full-length.

This is how I see everything panning out..

Old Remains EP - the beginning of the story
Dread demo - demo tracks for the full-length, but Dread is the realm where the Unlife dwell before they are unleashed.
New EP - Continuation of the first EP, but also explaining how/why the Unlife exist
Full-length - the return of the Unlife

The split with Draug will also be related to the concept, but instead of tying into the main storyline, it will add to the background of the Unlife.

Also started a small-time label for self-releasing the Unlife stuff called 'Tome of Unlife.'

dalex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:56 am 

After two years of keeping my guitar in a closet, I've picked it up and realized that I definitely want to fulfill my dreams in making something of it.

AFN
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLYKxh4OiI

This is a video of a song taken from our last gig, shot with a GoPro attached to our guitarist's headstock (pretty neat tool). We're pretty happy with the way this song turned out. Any thoughts?
Much appreciated!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:48 am 

I'm supposed to be meeting the two guitarist I've found and the vocalist. Hopefully this shit works out and someone down below gives me a helping hand lol.
If all goes well then we'll have our first official jam session soon.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:25 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Some guy reviewed my goregrind EP and gave it a 7/10, partially because he thought the songs should have been longer. He really harped on that. I guess the dumbshit doesn't know what grindcore is, hahaha.

I've been writing snippets for my next album, and I like where it's going. My musical style is evolving away from melodic death metal and more towards regular death metal with some melodic aspects. That's probably where I'll settle, musically, because I'm not a shredder and I'll never be able to do typical death metal blazing fast solos. But I'm fine with that.

Also, Jeff Hanneman just died, so I think I want to do a tribute song to him, like I did for Chuck Schuldiner.

You called someone who wrote a review for your stuff and gave it a 7/10 (a good rating) a "dumbshit", you don't deserve any reviews.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:17 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I'm supposed to be meeting the two guitarist I've found and the vocalist. Hopefully this shit works out and someone down below gives me a helping hand lol.
If all goes well then we'll have our first official jam session soon.

Good luck, man! Hopefully everyone brings a six pack and no instrument cases are opened for at least an hour. :)

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm 

dalex wrote:
After two years of keeping my guitar in a closet, I've picked it up and realized that I definitely want to fulfill my dreams in making something of it.

That's awesome! What kind of guitar are you currently playing and what sort of stuff are you aiming to play with it?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:

You called someone who wrote a review for your stuff and gave it a 7/10 (a good rating) a "dumbshit", you don't deserve any reviews.

Yeah dude, a review is a review. Dude still took the time to listen to the album. MA's own autothrall gave my band's first album 70% as well, citing several uninteresting grooves or lack of building up to memorable climaxes as the main drawbacks. While I could say "he doesn't get it, the songs are patterned that way to just let you headbang and enjoy the groovy riffing" and thus call him a dumbshit as well, he's one of the few reviewers whose opinion I take very seriously because he's able to articulate criticisms like that. You can be very sure that our next full-length will have close to zero riffs that aren't enjoyable or memorable.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 pm 

well I had my first successful band meet today, but, get this...still no goddamn drummer...
I'm starting to think that secretly ShaolinLambKiller is behind all this just for the pleasure of my tears. You sick monster.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 pm 

I love causing you pain! I want you to suffer! :)

since I've been out of town not much has been done, basically arranging and preparing for a bunch of recording. got 2 new grind bands/projects upcoming very quickly. So I'm pleased with that, got some more drumming to record for Gurthang and Vixenta and finally for this post-rock band.

also drew up a logo and album art for one of the grind bands today. :)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 am 

Okay, I think you guys missed my point, in my posting about the review. It was a grindcore album. In the review he said the songs were too short. I just thought it was really dumb to comment on the shortness of grindcore songs, which are known for being short. It's like eating at a French restaurant and not liking it because it's too French.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 am 

I get what you are saying infinitenexus because the shortness is inherent in what you were going for. However, when I get negative feedback that is fairly general and describes what I was going for (suppose someone said too chaotic/repetitive, too dissonant/consonant etc.) then I take that to mean that the problem is in how I did it rather than the fact that I did what I had intended. On the other hand when I review stuff I try to elaborate on things like that to avoid being unclear. So when someone says something like "Origin is too fast" it typically means "Origin on this album is fast in a way that I find garbage" rather than meaning "I don't like anything over 160bpm" and the review of your stuff did go into some detail on how shortness specifically was a problem saying there were issues with the momentum, individuality of tracks, and inchoate sound.

I hope that makes some sense?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
Okay, I think you guys missed my point, in my posting about the review. It was a grindcore album. In the review he said the songs were too short. I just thought it was really dumb to comment on the shortness of grindcore songs, which are known for being short. It's like eating at a French restaurant and not liking it because it's too French.

I disagree. If a food critic holds the opinion that there's something inherently negative about French food, he's entitled to mention it in his critique of French food. Same goes for metal reviews. Clearly the reviewer enjoyed the album, but the experience was hampered by the shortness of the songs. If he genuinely thought that, do you think he should've ignored it and acted as if it was fine for him? You can't handwave away someone's criticism because "it's supposed to be like that" or "it's always like that". His enjoyment of the music was harmed by that, and that's it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:36 pm 

Also infinitenexus you are new to grindcore, there can be longer songs. Sure most are short but if he is saying the songs are too short it might be cause they feel incomplete and you were just cutting them short just to cut them short. it's a valid statement that he made. In one of my grind bands songs range from 10 seconds up to 4 minutes, it's no doubt it's grind all the way throught but I don't cut myself off at a certain time, I write till I feel the song has a good solid begining, middle, and actual ending.

So really everyone kinda has a right to call you a dick about it, be thankful anyone listened to your material at all. And hell on a side note I didn't even call out the guy who disliked me on the forum here due to many disagreements so he reviews one of my albums and gives it like a meh review cause of his dislike of me. So what.?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:02 pm 

Yeah I guess that was kind of a dick statement on my part. I just felt it was silly of him to criticize the shortness of the songs without realize it was grindcore.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:10 pm 

7/10 isn't even a bad score. I mean I think scoring stuff is stupid (I do it because I have to). I actually really like your stuff Infinitenexus you should do a 20 second song for the next Tunes from the Toilet comp. We are going to try and get way more bands on there. I'm doing a cover of Dead by Napalm Death.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

If it honestly didn't occur to him that it was grindcore...then guess what... it's probably not considered grindcore by most people like me. Grind is an immediate thing to recognize.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm 

If I was listening to the correct stuff if didn't sound like grind. Sounded like short death metal which is why he probably said the songs should be longer.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm 

yea kinda like that later Meat Shits where it really sounded like mini-skinless songs.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 pm 

I just wrote a song for the folk metal band that goes from full-on Wodensthrone style black metal, to an atmospheric break section, then a Finntroll-esque bouncy part, through a d-beat punk section, and back to black metal to finish.

Somehow, it kind of works.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 am 

Recorded a demo and sent it off to the Blacksmith guys - all the details for our first gig pretty much locked in, rehearsing the setlist tomorrow.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 pm 

back home now, going to be start recording on some drum tracks for numerous things.

currently reworking this mix on KP's full length

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

'nother band meet tomorrow evening, wish me luck...hopefully we get shit done and learn at least a few of the 10 songs I've got written.

BastardHead wrote:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 pm 

My Les Paul is broken beyond repair. I'm broken as well.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 pm 

We had an awesome gig tonight. The people were amazing, the response was incredible. Even though it was just a small bar that was barely halfway full of audience, I really understood why musicians are willing to risk so much to tour. Playing live can be one hell of a thing.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
My Les Paul is broken beyond repair. I'm broken as well.

:( Cheer up with some furry feline love!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
'nother band meet tomorrow evening, wish me luck...hopefully we get shit done and learn at least a few of the 10 songs I've got written.

it'll go into the garbage!!!

Finalizing the mix of this Kp album, finished up the tracklist of the album so I'll start doing all the layout. been listening to it repeatedly for consistently.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 pm 

I've been doing some vaguely-neoclassical stuff recently as part of my college project (sound for games - I'm replacing all the audio for a few minutes of Skyrim footage). The main theme is here, if anyone's interested: https://soundcloud.com/dmclaren/skyrim-theme

And so tonight I've been doing some "action" music, which is basically the main tune from the main theme done METAL. Quad tracked guitars, harmonies and octaves on the lead part. It's been quite fun.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 pm 

Finally finished up everything that can be done to at least get it up and listened to, have to finish the insert, cd, and back cover but tracking, mix, and cover are all done and uploaded:

http://kamikazepilot.bandcamp.com/album/throatslitter

LordKrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:36 am 

Well lately I'm very active in songwriting for my band (for what concerns the rhythm guitar and vocals) and we are also recording our first demo called "Metal Dragon"...we are also trying to draw a logo for us

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:47 am 

Dealing with this divorce is killing me. I can't wait for it to be over. And my soon-to-be-ex is friends with aborted, cattle decapitation, gary holt's wife, and a bunch of other bands, and was initially going to help me get some exposure for my music, but now instead she's pretty much getting me blacklisted. I haven't been in the mood to play for a couple weeks either. I'm going to try to play some today, maybe I can use all these negative emotions to write some music or something.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:47 pm 

Well, the doom band decided that they no longer wanted me in the band. Which kind of sucks.

But, I guess now it means that I'll have more time for starting up a nekro as fuck blackthrash band.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:38 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Dealing with this divorce is killing me. I can't wait for it to be over. And my soon-to-be-ex is friends with aborted, cattle decapitation, gary holt's wife, and a bunch of other bands, and was initially going to help me get some exposure for my music, but now instead she's pretty much getting me blacklisted. I haven't been in the mood to play for a couple weeks either. I'm going to try to play some today, maybe I can use all these negative emotions to write some music or something.

Obviously I don't know what you went through or something, but I hope it is all sorted soon. As for being blacklisted, I wouldn't worry about that too much - for one, the musical world is bigger than you may think and two, I find people take hearsay with a grain of salt. I don't think. Most people realize that an ex is going to say bad things about someone, and that it is only one side of the story, and they won't let it get in the way of any professional stuff.

On a much, much smaller scale, I received threats a few years ago from some dude my ex girlfriend had hooked up with, saying he was the manager of some record label and was going to "make my life really hard". It was all empty threats in the end. Now, this guy didn't have the same gravity as say, Gary Holt, but the idea still stands: lots of people know someone, but it doesn't mean that someone is going to take their word as gospel.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 am 

Don't worry infinitenexus, you got us to support you!

Well we are going to be recording our first stuff for Controlled by Fear soon. Playing a show on May 31st and we just got on a show on June 11th with Water Torture. Super excited so far. Hopefully getting a practice space soon if the space owner doesn't flake out on us for the third time.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 am 

infinitenexus wrote:

As someone that has been thru the very same situation, don't worry. You might still try to get in touch with them and if they are decent people will give your music a chance anyway. If not, it was for the best.

Any kind of emotion is good for getting some inspiration. Although I've been more productive being happy, I know some guys who can write entire albums if they're depressed.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:44 pm 

Been writing drums for new Blacksoul Seraphim material that I'm doing sessions for in a few months. It's definitely different. The style's completely changed from funeral doom to Alcest influenced black metal.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:28 pm 

I've given myself the challenge of learning Deathspell Omega on guitar. I really wanted to do Chaining the Katechon but it took so long to learn even the first 7 seconds of it :panda: Instead I'm going to do Dearth and Phosphene first. My webcam is fucked and I don't have a very good mic but I'll post it when I'm finished.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 pm 

I received an endorsement offer from Soultone Cymbals tonight and I plan on signing it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 185  Next