Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GodheadsDamnation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 pm 

While I do agree that a cover version will never beat the original (for obvious reasons) I do find myself hearing Slayer's version of "Dissident Aggressor" a lot more often then its original from Judas Priest. They just give a whole new vibe to it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:28 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Evil_Obsidian wrote:
Type O Negative cover of "Black Sabbath" is darker, heavier and all round better than the original.

:nono:

Although the original is obviously not going to get outdone, I think I get what he's trying to say. I wouldn't say that Type O's version is heavier, just heavy in a different way. The original is my favourite (absolutely fucking classic) but the cover is also really cool, they really make the song their own.

Maybe a bit obvious, but Agalloch's cover of Sol Invictus's Kneel to the Cross is incredible, totally makes the original it's bitch. In the original the only good thing about it is the lyrics, the vocals are so horrid that it's almost completely original. Agalloch totally change it, add new instrumentation and the sound finally lives up to the lyrics.

Speaking of Type O Negative, I actually like their cover of Daytripper better (I know it's a medley but Daytripper is by far the most prevalent). They make it so heavy, while retaining the catchiness and the cool psych/eastern melodies just work so perfectly in the mix.

~Guest 314778
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 am 

Swallow The Sun & Albert Witchfinder - Solitude (Candlemass cover)

Like some guy in Youtube said, the only time Swallow The Sun are making good music is when it's not their song nor their vocalist.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:42 am 

philbrandeaux wrote:

It's a good cover (even if the vocals are a bit over-dramatic) but better than the classic original? Nah, man. I think Swallow the Sun's best song is "These Low Lands", which is also a cover, with the original being from Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus, which, quite frankly, is not nearly as good. There is just so much emotion, atmosphere and depth to Swallow the Sun's version.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:23 am 

Against Such Things wrote:
I'm going to second Death's cover of Painkiller.

No!!!!! The original is unbeatable.
I don't get the hhype for Death's cover. It's actually quite mediocre.....

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 am 

Emperor does a killer version of Cromlech

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 am 

I did like Blind Guardians cover of Satan and Demon better than the original. Also Iced Earth's cover of transylvania.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 am 

to the guy that said warrel dane's version of lucretia my reflection... are you fucking NUTS, dude? the original has an atmosphere that NO cover will probably ever touch. neither dane's nor kreator's versions have done it justice, and i doubt anyone will any time soon. that being said, it's only because it's one of the best songs ever written, and even the most fantastic of covers will be inferior no matter what ;)

my picks are, as always when this thread comes up, as follows:
sepultura - orgasmatron
obituary - circle of the tyrants
metallica - most of their early covers, but in particular am i evil and blitzkrieg

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:57 am 

on the subject of death's painkiller.... it's not better than the original, but it's a good cover. i've heard a LOT of bands cover priest terribly, even their simple shit, like breaking the law or metal gods. gotta give death props for handling painkiller well, and the vocal approach... it's a weird one. not sure if i like it or not - i think so? - but some kind of super-falsetto death scream? novel idea.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:34 am 

I prefer Ghoul's cover of "Skull Beneath the Skin". But only just. They've made it sound like a Ghoul song, albeit a slow one.
Spoiler: show

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:05 am 

Can't agree with Agalloch covering Kneel to the Cross, the original is a neofolk classic and Agalloch's cover doesn't come close.

I'm a massive Napalm Death fanboy, but their covers are fantastic and often better than the originals.

Lowlife (Cryptic Slaughter cover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5t-Yc1zaOQ

Nazi Punks Fuck Off (Dead Kennedys cover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TMsquzm3AQ

Less metal, but the covered band are on the archives. Atomski Rat covering Go Fucking Nihilist by Agathocles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2D3TA3Jjw

And finally, I guess there will be a higher chance of people seeing Sabbath's covers as better than the originals here. This one's of Carl Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_toTmkExkw

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 am 

My biggest problem with the Death cover of "Painkiller" is not the vocals (though in truth I don't enjoy them much), but the solo section. Before I discovered their 70s material this was my favourite Priest song, and I always viewed the solo section as the mighty climax of the whole piece...really I just can't explain how much that guitar tradeoff affected my fifteen-year-old brain. In my view, Death totally botched it and made it unmemorable and limp. Now, I respect them not trying to copy Downing and Typton's styles, but they have to at least replace it with something meaningful, and I don't think they succeeded there.

You know, I can hardly think of any covers I like better than the originals. I approve of bands doing covers, but generally I feel they're mostly a curiosity and should be restricted to the live environment, limited 7 and EP releases and so on. Of course there are a few covers that stand out to me. While I wouldn't say it's better than the original, and while this band itself is mostly a nostalgic memory for me these days, I actually really appreciate Opeth's take on Frost's "Circle of the Tyrants" as they really tried to do something different with the song and put their own stamp on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4rvWr2dw1k

Another one would be Deep Purple's cover of The Beatles' "Help". I enjoy the original but find that the music is more upbeat than the lyrics would suggest, whereas the Purple version is just dripping with melancholy and angst. I really like the way they slowed the tune down and the organ solo is killer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S14XaF6bW7A

Most often though I find that I'm disappointed with recorded covers. They just don't have anything to offer, and while I might be initially excited taht a band I like is covering a favourite song on some recording, I can't think of too many times when I've been impressed enough to choose a cover over an original...

The exceptions of course would include stuff like old jazz standards and blues songs, which are practically made to be covered by other people, and in those cases it's mostly just a matter of which versions you happen to prefer (I happen to think that Sirley Bassey recorded the best ever version of "Stormy Weather", for example)...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 314778
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:49 pm 

The original doesn't even come close to this.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:38 pm 

So much gloomier and heavier than the original, and the vocals really help set this mood.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:52 pm 

Actually, the two covers I find better than the originals I didn't even know were covers at first. Type O Negative's cover of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" and Obituary's cover of Celtic Frost's "Circle of the Tyrants". Both of those songs had the aforementioned bands stamps carved in so well I didn't even realize they were covers until much later, and I still much prefer them over the originals.

Obituary's rendering is perfect, the riffing is so much heavier, John Tardy's vocals work amazingly and the song is given an atmosphere that perfectly fits in with the rest of "Cause of Death".

And really, "Cinnamon Girl" did not seem to me like something Type O wouldn't have come up with themselves. Like the Obituary cover, it just didn't seem out of place on the album. When I learned it was a cover I went and listened to the original, and damn, it's really weak compared to Type O's rendition.

last.fm

~Guest 314778
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:24 pm 

MortalScum wrote:

So much gloomier and heavier than the original, and the vocals really help set this mood.

Oh good lord, THIS. This right here is how you do a Burzum cover. The clean vocals are actually creepier than Varg's screaming. And also there's a nice surprise at the end when Albert does the "Life has new meaning" part..

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 pm 

"Fight Fire with Fire" is my all-time favorite Metallica tune (actually the very song that got me into metal), but Vader's rendition just outdoes the original in all aspects minus the lack of the acoustic intro and the omission of the explosion at the end. The drums sound alot better, especially the double bass bits(really, with most any Metallica cover, the drums will always be better), the vocals are just awesome, and the solo is pretty faithful to the original.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 pm 

philbrandeaux wrote:
MortalScum wrote:

Oh good lord, THIS. This right here is how you do a Burzum cover. The clean vocals are actually creepier than Varg's screaming. And also there's a nice surprise at the end when Albert does the "Life has new meaning" part..

AWESOME!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:24 pm 

Marag wrote:
Quote:
-Skrillmetal-

:oh shit:

It's not like there much effort involved in being better than the original in this case!

Well considering the only thing that was really changed was the "growls" were turned into guitar riffs, one could say that the original wasnt that bad to begin with...

Obligatory Gargoyle post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuvphi_FpTQ

The original is an alright song, but I'm always blown away how they ramped it up into a long, technical thrasher with epic clean sections, acoustic interludes and a choral outro.
Hehe, foreskins.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:53 pm 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
I'm a massive Napalm Death fanboy, but their covers are fantastic and often better than the originals.

Lowlife (Cryptic Slaughter cover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5t-Yc1zaOQ

Nazi Punks Fuck Off (Dead Kennedys cover):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TMsquzm3AQ

Less metal, but the covered band are on the archives. Atomski Rat covering Go Fucking Nihilist by Agathocles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2D3TA3Jjw

Napalm Death has some awesome covers. Nazi Punks Fuck Off is definitely better then the DK song. I like their cover of Disintegrator/Incinerator by Slaughter. Atomski Rat rips, need to hear that cover when I can.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:31 pm 

The Ulver cover of Solitude deserves a mention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXl4znQZOpw

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:43 pm 

I don't dig Dimmu Borgir that much but I think they did a much better job of Sister's Burn in Hell......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3eg_ZROeQ

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:28 pm 

Not proper covers as such perhaps, but I've been enjoying 331Erock's youtube videos lately.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:33 pm 

Turner wrote:
to the guy that said warrel dane's version of lucretia my reflection... are you fucking NUTS, dude? the original has an atmosphere that NO cover will probably ever touch. neither dane's nor kreator's versions have done it justice, and i doubt anyone will any time soon. that being said, it's only because it's one of the best songs ever written, and even the most fantastic of covers will be inferior no matter what ;)

To be fair, I said that I liked it AS MUCH as the original. The Sisters Of Mercy are unbeatable but I have a bit of bias since I heard Dane's version first. I do love me some Floodland.

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:24 am 

Sepultura's version of "Orgasmatron" comes to mind

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:52 am 

Lock Up's cover of Impaled Nazarene's 'We are Satan's generation' is quite unbeatable, even by Imp Naz themselves...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 am 

dragmire wrote:
I personally like Death's cover of Painkiller more than the original (Judas Priest).

Yes, plus The Exploited 'Troops of tomorrow' (I have three versions of The Vibrators' classic but Wattie and co.'s one is still the best)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 am 

Luciferion's cover for Sodom - Blasphemer. The Luciferion performance is brutal and evil.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:08 am 

Practically everything I was going to say has been said.
For reasons I've never been able to fathom, I prefer Leukorrhea's version of "The Philosopher" to Death's.

Not metal, but recently I've been addicted to Foo Fighters' version of Gary Numan's "Down In the Park"

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 am 

Probably said this the last time this thread came up but I really dig Funeris Nocternum's version of "Last Day in Heaven" to Barathrum's original. It just sounds more complete and polished compared to the original. Solid song.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

brandonJFAC
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:54 am 

i think that JFAC'S cover of the matter of splatter is way better than exhumed's original version . Mainly because it sounds way heavier and the vocals just sound better to me

brandonJFAC
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6hGAK5 ... ata_player brutal

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 pm 

philbrandeaux wrote:

Like some guy in Youtube said, the only time Swallow The Sun are making good music is when it's not their song nor their vocalist.

Holy shit, it actually IS better than the original! Never did I think I'd like anything Swallow the Sun was associated with, but they do manage to deliver a bit more power to an already heavy as fuck original. Albert's vocals really round it out with a sense of dignity. Damn, thanks for this.

As for my contributions, I'd say Draconian's cover on Sunday they will Kill the World:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y06P8KpzsVA

Also I think the Rev Bizarre cover of The Gates of Nanna is a just a tad better than the Beherit original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btjqOtsg7N0

Finally Apostle of Solitude's cover of Astro Zombies I think is much better than the punk original, though sadly there doesn't seem to be a youtube video of it.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:12 am 

As persecuted as i might be for this statement, I like Mayhem's cover of Witching Hour by Venom. For some reason the mix of the incredible tempo and Messiah-s whisper-like shrieks just really do it for me.
Others include:
Satanic Blood (Von cover by Dark Funeral)
Bister Verklighet (No Security cover by At The Gates)
Also, if rerecordings count as covers, I like "Ea, Lord Of The Depths" from "From The Depths of Darkness" better than the original. Same with The Greater Of Two Evils by Anthrax, love that whole album more than the rest of their discography.

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:33 pm 

Emperor has definitely made some improvements to some already fantastic songs...

They sped up Mercyful Fate's Gypsy (+BM Vocals).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3RsILrqXPY

They re-did Mayhem's Funeral Fog with better production, as well as easier-to-hear vocals.
http://youtu.be/LPZ4I0i9ZCI?t=2m37s

And they changed some parts of Bathory's A Fine Day To Die (mostly drums)
http://youtu.be/qW4Basxpte4?t=2m9s

were they hot?

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 am 

Edge of Sanity's cover of Manowar's "Blood Of My Enemies". Much more powerful and overall better sounding in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVyrfRya_I

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:50 am 

I forgot Vader's cover of Possessed's 'Death metal', so much more muscle (higher budget and greater skill, of course).

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am 

Dissection's version of 'Elizabeth Bathory' is more powerful, obscure and extreme than the original Tormentor one.

Tormentor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W5CP0c4KJg

Dissection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuTi4-AtsTE

"You make it easy."

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 pm 

Arsis - Roses On White Lace
Agalloch - Kneel To The Cross

There are a lot of good covers, some not always better but there's a bunch I find that are almost on par with the original

Dying Fetus - Born In A Casket
Emperor - Cromlech
Neurosis - Children Of The Grave
Tool - No Quarter
Ulver - Solitude
Solace - Another Life (very good stoner/sludge take on the Iron Maiden song)

There are some really good Ulver covers on the My Own Wolf: A New Approach To Ulver compilation

Avathar - Utreise (you HAVE to hear this. This is fucking amazing)
Unfurl - Lost In Moments
Asmodee - Wolf And Hatred (not too different from original, but recorded better and still done well)
Selvmord - Wolf And Devil (same situation as Asmodee)
Karna - Naturmystikk (similar to the Avathar one)
Fluoryne - Not Saved
Panacea Enterpainment - Porn Piece Or The Scars Of Cold Kisses (really cool atmospheric bit)
Cataplus - Hoyfjeldsbilde
Bosque - Utreise

havoc00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm 

Killswitch Engage Holy Diver cover is better then the original

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next