Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:50 pm 

Found a better quality download of the Beyond Creation album. Now I can hear the bass, so it was the old download that screwed that up for me.

Time to re-review this crappy piece of crap.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:56 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Found a better quality download of the Beyond Creation album. Now I can hear the bass, so it was the old download that screwed that up for me.

You too? Talk about a synchronized gang rape! :lol:

I have to say I agree with Tony here, BH's review is pretty good and I can get all the reasoning made, even though I love the album. And yeah Subrick, please do rewrite that review, since as I said before all I wanted was for you to word out your criticisms well enough. Now you must be listening to the album and thinking "Crap, it does stand out!", don't you?! ;)

I have no particular problem in seeing an album I love be torn apart if the person who does it presents a good reasoning and prose. Now if you go into "they're just wanking their shit off" without more meat... It's like the review itself is wankier than the band itself. I hope I'm making any sense here, I'm pretty tired today.

Still in regards to BH's review, songwriting ability or not apart, the things you point out as being the ones which bring down the album are the ones I actually like. The fact that they can shove such an immense technical flair right in my face over and over again, and I still want to hear it again afterwards, is to me the great strength of the album. It's flashy but there's nothing wrong with that, and personally I enjoy the writing very much. I just find them immensely more interesting than, say, Obscura. :oh shit: And I know how that will sound, but hey, oranges vs apples right?!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Please don't review it if you can't hear the bass :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Please don't review it if you can't hear the bass :(

:ah-ha:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:06 pm 

I put it up on SputnikMusic while I wait for it to be looked at by a mod here (actually twice on Sputnik due to their weird way of submitting a review and not allowing you to delete it if you accidentally put it under the wrong album).

As mentioned, I found a better copy of the record that I can actually hear the bass in, and it's just as annoying and warbly as BastardHead said it was.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:07 pm 

If you say there's an album with an overly loud bass I need to listen to it out of curiosity. I'm rather used to albums with bass being buried under two guitars which disappoints me a lot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:09 pm 

It's not even really a case of the bass being too loud as it is the tone of the bass just being awful. While it is a bit louder than it really should be, the tone of the instrument just beats you on the head with "Yes, dear listener, this is a fretless bass and we will not let you forgot that throughout this whole album.".

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:16 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's not even really a case of the bass being too loud as it is the tone of the bass just being awful. While it is a bit louder than it really should be, the tone of the instrument just beats you on the head with "Yes, dear listener, this is a fretless bass and we will not let you forgot that throughout this whole album.".

As someone who played bass longer than I've played any other electric instrument, I can also say that the bass tone on the album is terrible. I don't even need to go into how much fretless bassists annoy me not because they're inherently worse, but they always seem to play them wankily.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Sat May 11, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 pm 

Steve DiGiorgio, what did you start? :P

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:24 pm 

Is there a new undercurrent of countering technical ability going on here in the Archives as of now?! :p

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:27 pm 

I mean I like technical / proggy bass like in Hieronymus Bosch albums, but I've always been a fan of melody over technicality.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:32 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I mean I like technical / proggy bass like in Hieronymus Bosch albums

:nods:

The funny thing is that Forest's bass playing is so melodic and, dare I say it, beautiful. This taking into consideration how flashy and in your face it is. It actually surprises me that people actively dislike his style. Do the people that bash BC also bash Augury? I'm rather curious.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 pm 

I've actually never listened to Augury.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:38 pm 

That's curious. In fact I just checked and no one who reviewed Augury also did BC, or the other way around. Weird...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:39 pm 

The most I'm familiar with anything relating to Augury is that one of their old drummers is also the drummer for that excellent Death tribute band Symbolic. Singer for Quo Vadis is also the guitarist/vocalist in Symbolic as well.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

I saw Augury live once and they were more boring than Soilwork, who played the same show.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:46 pm 

Augury is pretty good, and some of their writing style (stress on some) can be found in BC. I get why the comparisons between BC and Neuraxis are usually made, but when I listen to The Aura I actually picture a fusion between Obscura, Necrophagist and Augury, which is weird I know. Even more considering I don't even like Obscura in the first place, eh.

Augury's debut is pretty far out, with it having some near avant-garde moments, while the second is more in line with the tech/prog scene. They always bring an almost folkish flair with them though, especially when they go out in clean singing sections that rhythmically remind me of... Celtic folk?! Yeah, I know how that sounds, but it's actually pretty cool in its quirkiness.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:47 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I saw Augury live once and they were more boring than Soilwork, who played the same show.

How long ago was this? If it was 5 or more years, then I could see Soilwork being boring since the music they made at that time was, indeed, quite boring.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:49 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

How long ago was this? If it was 5 or more years, then I could see Soilwork being boring since the music they made at that time was, indeed, quite boring.

Summer 2010. It was at the Webster Underground, the bill was Soilwork/Death Angel/Augury/Mutiny Within/Swashbuckle/Threat Signal and I think there was one more band. Soilwork were playing lots of The Panic Broadcast and Sworn...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 pm 

Death Angel just look so out of place on that bill.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:53 pm 

That bill doesn't make any sense at all in my eyes...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:57 pm 

At least Blackguard wasn't on there considering they somehow manage to worm their way onto every fucking tour bill ever these days.

I mean, seriously. They toured with DEICIDE of all bands.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:28 pm 

Subrick wrote:
At least Blackguard wasn't on there considering they somehow manage to worm their way onto every fucking tour bill ever these days.

Blackguard sucks indeed. My old band opened up for them along with 5 other local bands and ironically this melo-death band was better than them.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:57 pm 

androdion wrote:
Is there a new undercurrent of countering technical ability going on here in the Archives as of now?! :p

I hope so! Technical ability is only good when the riff it produces causes the listener to headbang so hard he doesn't notice how technical the playing is.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:10 pm 

I love Augury's first album, their second was pretty forgettable, and honestly Beyond Creation's album left no impression on me whatsoever. Pretty sure I've only listened to it all the way through once.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:26 pm 

Not that I've listened to it extensively, but I remember liking that Beyond Creation album when I heard it. Bastard's review really cracks me up, though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 pm 

I've yet to read one review of BastardHead's that didn't make me laugh. His Winds of Plague reviews in particular are hilarious.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I've yet to read one review of BastardHead's that didn't make me laugh.

Yup. Wish I was better at humour writing, it's harder than it looks. He's particularly good at hilarious review titles.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:56 pm 

"Goddammit, Winds of Plague, I will fucking stab you!"

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:25 am 

androdion wrote:
That bill doesn't make any sense at all in my eyes...

Yeah, it really made no sense and despite being at a venue with a capacity of 1000+ they promoted it so poorly that the show happened in their side room/bar with ~100 people there.

Subrick wrote:

Not to get into too much FFA-type stuff even if it's reviving the reviews discussion forum, but I have a story about this.

A friend wanted to see Nevermore badly but couldn't make it to the NY/MA shows because he was in class, so he decided to go to the Philly show. He got another friend to drive by buying him a ticket, and I decided to go because hey, it's Nevermore! The show was on a Sunday night, and you know, we live in Connecticut. I had asked him about plans to do other things down there, he hadn't come up with anything. Around 9:30PM the night before, he calls me. I'm at a friend's house and we're working our way through half a dozen new craft beers that we managed to find, and my friend on the phone tells me he wants to leave at 8AM the next day and get there by noon (or something ridiculously early). I replied "Dude, what are you going to do at noon in Philly on a Sunday, go to church?" - we ended up leaving early afternoon or so.

So, our friend is driving us down there in a very old, beat-up car. I'm no stranger to shitty vehicles, having driven almost exclusively them, but this one was kind of scary - it had all the rumbling and tension of a space shuttle launch and none of the acceleration. When he got above 50mph, it started rattling alarmingly. We managed to get there without dying, went to the first place we could find to get cheesesteaks. They're out of fucking cheesesteaks. We find the next place that serves cheesesteaks, a cart on the sidewalk, and they're out of steak too! Finally, we find a pub, get some cheesesteaks and a few pints of lager, and we're on our way, hoping to find a bar or something because there's still a few hours until the show. We find an indoor market and I spot a beer garden. I walk up to them and ask for a pitcher of lager, and they tell me they're closing up and can't do that. Upset, I go to the bathroom and start complaining. We end up going back to the car, which is parked as far from the venue as it could possibly be, drink some Gatorade, then make the trek to the venue.

We arrive at the venue nice and early, check out the merch, look around the venue and confirm that it's kind of a dump, walk up the stairs to the balcony, and sit down. For some reason, a guy who usually advocates skipping the openers wanted to catch all of these bands, including a Victory Records power metal band. So, after a long, uneventful day, we're here nice and early to see Blackguard. Ugh, what the hell. Two rhythm guitarists and a three lead keyboard backing tracks? I guess their keyboard player left the band recently and they hadn't replaced him, but holy shit that was lame! An epic, disappointing adventure meets it's lowest point: Blackguard.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:35 am 

Dude, you and I need to ride together to some far out of the way show one of these days. The ridiculousness that will unfold will be classic.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 am 

That'd be fun, unfortunately one of the major factors in limiting my travel right now is that my old Jeep can burn a gallon of gas in the time it takes you to read my review of 'Time I'.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:52 am 

When I get my car sometime this year we can go in that. I've gone down through your area enough times this year for Sorrowseed shows in Pennsylvania.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:12 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
androdion wrote:

I hope so! Technical ability is only good when the riff it produces causes the listener to headbang so hard he doesn't notice how technical the playing is.

I think that depends, basically the point of technical playing is that the final effect should sound cool, not "it doesn't make sense but hey guys, it's technical!". Especially in metal I think there's a lot of place for technical playing, as it's perfect for making the song even more dynamic or crazy. There are technical bands with taste who pull it off well (and these usually have sections which are technical and which are not, because they go technical when it works), and there are those who don't (who are usually "37/32 EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!111").

On a different note, I'm stunned the Opeth Royal Albert Hall DVD has no reviews, and after reminding myself how bloody awesome this thing is last night, I'm going to fix that later today.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
androdion wrote:

TheLiberation wrote:
I think that depends, basically the point of technical playing is that the final effect should sound cool, not "it doesn't make sense but hey guys, it's technical!". Especially in metal I think there's a lot of place for technical playing, as it's perfect for making the song even more dynamic or crazy. There are technical bands with taste who pull it off well (and these usually have sections which are technical and which are not, because they go technical when it works), and there are those who don't (who are usually "37/32 EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!111").

I'm with TheLiberation here, as I think extreme technicality isn't an immediate turn off from a band/album. Extreme technicality without replaying value, now that's a different story altogether. Sometimes I just feel like there's a vibe against a specific set of bands, but maybe this is just my perception of things really. There are times where the complaints heard are "Look, another OSDM clone", while a few months later it's "Look, another modern tech death clone", and on and on. It's probably aggregated to metal's cyclical nature in terms of what's riding the wave at the time. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that every time something is being lauded, it gets under the crosshairs of some people who feel the need to take it down. Then again, this is probably just people expressing themselves and there isn't any magical conjuncture to break down highly rated albums. What do I know?! :D

It's funny though that this behaviour was usually seen more on other sites, like RYM where the indie listeners tear down metal albums and vice-versa. Here it's something I hadn't yet noticed that much,or maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention to it.

Anyway, Subrick, I hate to beat you again but I don't get what's wrong with the album's mix. Is it that everything is up front maybe? Have to mostly agree on the drum sound though, it's just about the one thing that picks my brain on that album. The drum kick sounds pretty meh and the snare sound very plastic.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 am 

I do not like how most modern albums sound. I'm just wired to prefer the way they sounded in the late 80s and early-to-mid 90s. The mix is way too loud, the vocals are so in your face that it's about as much of a distraction for me as the horrible bass tone, the drums sound like absolute garbage, it's just a very poor mix and master.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:02 pm 

Oh, so you mean modern Pro Tools hyper compressed and overly loud production? Well, that's life man. :D Although there are some good modern production jobs to be found here and there.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:45 pm 

Oh, man, four negative reviews for The Aura in 24 hours. I expect to see a retaliative wave of 102% reviews tomorrow which attempt to defend the album while fighting off wet sobs and shaky composure.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm 

In one day that album has lost nearly 30 percentage points. It's glorious.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm 

I'd call this the clearest case of hype backlash in recent memory if it wasn't for the fact that the album was two years old now and both legitimately irritating and dull at the same time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 520  Next