Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 pm 

In spite of recent developments in my own musical tastes, I thought it would be a neat idea to make a thread where people can come together to share their own projects that are of the three types of music listed in the thread title. So how about people provide links to their MA pages, Facebooks and Bandcamps? and to make it so that it is not simply self promotion, perhaps we can all provide a little background to our projects and our influences, or reasons as to how we all came to like and play the music that we have. I thought that this would be a cool idea, as I recently bought an EP of music from a fellow member of the forum, and I thought this would be a great way for musicians to come together and share the softer side of their musical personality with other members of the board, and perhaps talk about our instruments. I personally cannot blast my mind with death/black/thrash metal ALL of the time as I did when I was a couple of years younger, so this thread should hopefully take off and produce some worthwhile discussion and lead to some talent being shared. I think it would be a good idea for the board so here goes;

So to go first, I currently have an all acoustic project that I am not ready to unveil much information about at this time, but I am currently writing an all acoustic album, which is purely just all acoustic guitar, played in a fingerpicking style. I'm influenced a lot by the lute music of J.S Bach, as well as Scott Conner from Alhambra, Cali, and just this morning, I have recently been recommended a project called October Falls, which is based in Finland, Helsinki (Thanks go out to Lordtool).

I personally did not start to seriously contemplate playing this type of music until this year actually, though I played classical guitar for a year prior to developing my tastes to include such projects mentioned above. I've thought to myself, I have written black and death metal before and some ambient music, though I've never been great at it and I've never really been able to articulate a satisfying message within that type of music, so I feel that I can express myself properly with an acoustic guitar as it feels a bit closer to home, growing up and living in the country. It just feels right to be creating and relaxing with such a 'singular' instrument. No electricity or amplifiers are needed, just the guitar. And a very nice one at that. My choice of guitar is Tanglewood, as I just love the tone and vibrancy of the woods that they are made from. The action is also very low on all Tanglewoods that I have played, so I am very happy with it.

Please go ahead and help keep the thread alive, as I'd really like to listen to some other people's music :)

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 pm 

Interesting idea for a thread...

Here's a link to some demos of my stuff!

http://www.mediafire.com/?5cmaa3jqbthvpj9

The project is called skylines to Nowhere, which I started late last year as a side project to my Depressive/Ambient black metal project. I started writing the music in 2010, but didn't really have any use for it till then. In these demos, the drums are programmed and there are no vocals yet...The drums are being replaced by SLK here on the forum in the next 2 weeks or so, and vocvals are going to be added soon for a "Pay what you want"/Free release.

It's mostly influenced by 90's Shoegaze, bands such as Slowdive, Ride, The Verve, and eventully the influence branches out to Akira Yamaoka, The Smashing Pumpkins, etc. I picked my housemates guitar, a Tokai Les Paul for this, as my Schecter does sound "too metal" and my Les Paul needs quite a bit of work...I think it suited it well, much better suited for the style then the Schecter. On top of these songs, there's a further 15 - 20 completely written ready for recording, and a lot more that needs completing.

I also improvised about 40 songs worth of acoustic music a few years ago, also demo recordings, but that's for another time.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm 

Thanks for posting sibraa. I'll check your music out when I get home tonight and get back to you :) my favorite shoegazing band is definitely Alcest, but I have not really delved into the genre to be honest. I'll have to check out some of the bands mentioned in your post.

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 am 

Alcest is similar to the music I posted up, with strong melodies on the strings/piano, it was unintended but it happened, it's still all good though, i think :P

90's Shoegaze sounds a bit like modern indie with reverb haha, it's sort of an acquired taste, i know a lot of people I know don't quite like it, albeit they are all metal heads too :P

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:51 am 

I tried my hand at some ambient style music, turned out more ambient metal or maybe an odd version of doom. Just trying to write something different, you know. I'll post it later today.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:59 am 

My lame attempt at ambient, which ended up being not very ambient haha. I have a few more, but this was the first one.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 0Bloom.mp3

Hate the Morning
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
My lame attempt at ambient, which ended up being not very ambient haha. I have a few more, but this was the first one.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 0Bloom.mp3

Might not be what you were going for - but it's real cool. I like it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/alexandre-ferland/rainy-season
I have a few lo-fi acoustic songs on my soundcloud. Very limited recording equipment. Which will change very soon due to employment.
Also got some various meanderings in other genres on there.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:43 pm 

I do some various stuff with Pentu when I don't do noise or power electronics. Made this "ambient" piece that I am very proud of as well as sound collages. I don't listen to ambient so it's hard for me to write it b/c I sometimes don't know what to do. I'll make a good part and I don't know what to do other then layer onto it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:16 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/alexandre-ferland/rainy-season
I have a few lo-fi acoustic songs on my soundcloud. Very limited recording equipment. Which will change very soon due to employment.
Also got some various meanderings in other genres on there.

Goddamnit Chandy, release an EP of or something already. All the stuff you've put on facebook was great.

I've done some ambient and electronic stuff. Here's my attempt at doing an "epic" ambient stuff. Besides a few things should have been mixed a bit differently and one note being late on the symphonic stuff at the end, I'm pretty happy with it. Perhaps I'll go back and put programmed drums in later.
https://soundcloud.com/dystopia4/shrouded-in-fog

Here's my attempt at some sort of psychedelic tribal pseudo-electronic stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/dystopia4/dirge

And just for good measure here's a short little dark ambient thing:
https://soundcloud.com/dystopia4/darkness-enshrouds

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 am 

Pardon the late reply Sibraa and Infinitenex. I had a listen to the examples of your music and I thought that they were quite interesting pieces.

Sibraa yes your music is quite similar to Alcest, though certainly not as subtle as the former mentioned band, I thought that your songs were a little bit harsher to the ear, though definitely still pleasing. I'd actually like to hear more if you're still creating that kind of music.

And Nex, I see that you tried your hand at some ambient, and I have to say that it is not a bad crack at the genre at all. If you have any more examples of your ambient music you should definitely post it in this thread. I found some good ideas in that track of yours.

I'm yet to listen to the other posters tracks, I've been quite busy lately, though I have to get around to making a bit more ambient music myself. Once you start it is rather addicting.

sibraa6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:40 pm 

Thanks for the feedback! I am making more, and I'll be releasing full and mixed versions of what I put up there through Bandcamp or so as a Pay What You Want sorta thing. Future releases will be self released, as I'm pretty tired of dealing with labels at the moment haha

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:04 pm 

Umm...check my signature for Youth Art Exhibit and Sunderland - both ambient projects (albeit, YAE is a bit more digestible and poppy).

umm...also...check out soundcloud.com/sambecherer for a bunch of random electric pop and acoustic works

I like this one

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 pm 

Just listened to your song Frog. It's really cool dude, it's great to hear something so personal come from the board. The choice of chords were complimented by the timbre of your voice too. I've also listened to your House of Dagoth project before I will add, which I found quite interesting.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:55 pm 

My band PsychoBliss has some shoegaze elements, I suppose.

Some have called our track, The Escape of the Dead "blackgaze"...

I think that my love for Les Discrets, Amesoeurs, and Agalloch all came together for that song. lol

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:06 pm 

That is actually quite a nice song Psycho, I really liked some of the melodies and the tone of the vocals. I find that in these kinds of songs, the vocalists usually wail on like an elephant and it just becomes a parody of itself really, but the vocals in your track are pretty great. I enjoyed that one.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm 

Baldrs wrote:
That is actually quite a nice song Psycho, I really liked some of the melodies and the tone of the vocals. I find that in these kinds of songs, the vocalists usually wail on like an elephant and it just becomes a parody of itself really, but the vocals in your track are pretty great. I enjoyed that one.

Many thanks! I appreciate the kind words...

Kyla (my wife-to-be) handles all of the vocals. I think she has a great singing and screaming voice. I figured it was an easy way to set ourselves apart within the genre, seeing as how you almost never hear any kind of clean vocal harmonies in black metal of any kind.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 pm 

I think you've done a pretty good job of establishing a certain style mate :) I also agree on the point of clean vocals and their harmonies. I think I said in another thread a few weeks ago that personally, I just can't blast my brain with tremolo riffs and screaming 24/7 anymore, so I need some other outlet. But this is the kind of stuff that really hits my jive, so, it's a bit of fresh air in a way.

I know Alcest are not a black metal band, but I love their third album... I thought your song sounded a touch influenced by Alcest, just in regards to guitar lines and the overall atmospheric qualities.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 am 

Well, I guess I may as well post. I have a dark ambient/drone/"experimental" project titled (for now) Ouroboros. I know what I've done thus far is imperfect and unfinished, but it's quite hard for me to write and keep track of ideas with my existing limitations regarding recording equipment. Once I have some spare money by the end of the summer I'm going to buy some better gear and an actual professional microphone! Then I'll start writing more guitar-based pieces. :-D

That all being said, my newer "work in progress" track has been thus far created digitally. Up until starting work on that track I never really had a set concept for Ouroboros, but I've had some cool ideas bouncing around for a concept album. The themes revolve around Soviet number stations, mutually-assured nuclear destruction, ICBMs, Cold War paranoia, and the Space Race. This particular track is largely unfinished, as sections of it are going to be gloriously reworked and flow better! :thumbsup:

Regarding my influences, I have several. Sunn O))) is largely responsible for getting me into atmospheric music in the first place as well as introducing me to extreme repetition in music. Burzum would be another big one, mainly due to how he layers different sounds and melodies on his best synth songs while allowing them to flow organically. Barn Owl figures heavily into how I play 'clean' guitar, as I love the warm, dusty textures their songs contain. Last (but not least) of my more 'major' influences would be Bleak Russian Soundscape, a beautiful project that combines drone, ambient, noise, and radiant synth melodies.

I'd be honored if you guys would check out my work, and constructively criticize it for how sloppy and unprofessional it is. ;)

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm 

Hi Llama. I checked out your links, and while what I heard was not necessarily bad, I honestly didn't hear much to work with in terms of feedback for your efforts. Have you worked on them since your initial post? I'd like to hear more if you have the time to provide a new link.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 am 

in the middle of an utterly crushing drone album. six hours - sixteen tracks. devastating, intensive, explosive music.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 am 

^ Post some samples up Frog, let us hear that shit!

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
in the middle of an utterly crushing drone album. six hours - sixteen tracks. devastating, intensive, explosive music.

Sounds awesome. We should do a collab sometime before I move out of the DC area in august. I have an acoustic project I'm working on, going to be re-recording some stuff from the initial demo/rehearsal versions I did. Should have a tape out late this month.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm 

http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -art-demos

This is lo-fi synth pop music for those of you who don't want to listen to thirty minute songs. real short, filled with hooks and dreamy melodies and frightening moments. read the short sentences detailing the songs - you may just find yourself captivated.

Winter - when are you out?

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 pm 

these are my latest satan pope test's. I really did these two for practice, trying to work on recording, but they are in the style that I want to write future satan pope songs in once I have recording and mixing down.

https://soundcloud.com/andreperez/bm-sho-test

https://soundcloud.com/andreperez/bm-sho-test-2

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/album/the-youth-art-demos

This is lo-fi synth pop music for those of you who don't want to listen to thirty minute songs. real short, filled with hooks and dreamy melodies and frightening moments. read the short sentences detailing the songs - you may just find yourself captivated.

Winter - when are you out?

I get out of school next week. I'll be free most of June and most of July. Maybe we could work on something in late June/early July?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am 

Yeah man - I'll be working from home exclusively - so my schedule won't be so fucked up. Plus, I'll have my analog shit repaired then.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Yeah man - I'll be working from home exclusively - so my schedule won't be so fucked up. Plus, I'll have my analog shit repaired then.

Nice. I can provide guitar/bass drones, noises, etc but I never got around to getting a synth.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 am 

I've started doing some ambient/melodic music in the vein of Uruk-Hai in some regard. It is called Onyx: http://www.facebook.com/onyxambient123

There is a link to a soundcloud on the wall. Forthcoming releases are a 10 track demo tape on Wulfrune Worxx and a split with Uruk-Hai also on tape on Wulfrune Worxx. 66 copies each.

Hope anyone who listens enjoys.

Hails

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:40 am 

http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/album/ ... f-the-will

Forgot about this album....I think you guys would dig it. been going through older works and deciding which ones to scrap.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:57 am 

Something I recorded yesterday. Kinda shoegazey.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... ng%204.mp3

idreamelectricsheep
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:45 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/voidrone/app_178091127385

Here is a minimalist ambient/drone project that I started a few years back but never found time to finish because of college and marriage. Now that I'm done and settling down, I've committed myself to completing the full length this year as well as rebooting the page (an updated one is long overdue) and changing the name. All instruments/sounds are played/recorded by me (except the obvious film quotes). I'll also be creating some dark ambient pieces once I get my setup in order again to go with the album. Let me know what you think.

Reply to topic