Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:46 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Gaaaaah you guys are going to end up having me make an exorbitant purchase. Liege Lord is another one of those bands criminally due for the reissue treatment. I...assume, haven't actually heard them yet.

If you like USPM at all stop what you are doing this instant and go listen to the Liege Lord debut. You will be floored with what you hear. The riffs, the sheer potency and energy of the songs etc. It is truly one of the great USPM albums of all time.

And yeah - someone like High Roller or Stormspell should reissue that record. It really needs to be on the market.

As for Satan's Host - I hope their debut gets a legit CD pressing some day (Old Metal Records does not count). It's one of those unsung great like the Future Tense EP or that Witch Cross album (get the boxset if you have the chance - the demo material is a good as the album!).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm 

I didn't realize there was a package with demos available for Fit for Fight, is it a vinyl only deal? I bought that album (HHB cd version) on a recommendation from Count_V but I didn't really have any expectations. I can't say enough good things about the album, the fact that they wrote an incredible song called Rocking the Night Away is absurd and beautiful. Fight the Fire and Alien Savage are my jaaaaams!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:17 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I didn't realize there was a package with demos available for Fit for Fight, is it a vinyl only deal? I bought that album (HHB cd version) on a recommendation from Count_V but I didn't really have any expectations. I can't say enough good things about the album, the fact that they wrote an incredible song called Rocking the Night Away is absurd and beautiful. Fight the Fire and Alien Savage are my jaaaaams!

That albums is truly a wonder of European metal. Really great NWOBHM-rocking parts with some Accept bits too. There is a 3CD/DVD boxset available from HHB. It has the pre-album EP and the pre-album and post-album demos with a lot of exclusive songs. I reccomend getting that - it's a great package. Plus the DVD has some awesome live bits too.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:28 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Also buy the Jag Panzer reissues on High Roller when they come out on the 17th. Maybe if those prove to be good sellers they will finally reissue the Satan's Host debut on CD.

I knew these were getting reissued, didn't realize how soon. Ample Destruction is getting bought.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Also buy the Jag Panzer reissues on High Roller when they come out on the 17th. Maybe if those prove to be good sellers they will finally reissue the Satan's Host debut on CD.

I knew these were getting reissued, didn't realize how soon. Ample Destruction is getting bought.

Get the "Tyrants" EP too if you can. That one is almost on the level of Ample Destruction but not as scorching. More NWOBHM-minded in my opinion. Still some great songs to be had there and 8 (!) bonus tracks.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Gave Destiny's End another shot today and it's definitely more impressive than I remembered, I figured it couldn't be too bad given Dan DeLucie's on guitars and Rivera's on vocals. I don't like it as much as Crescent Shield, but it's definitely solid stuff - BDtD, anyway. I'll save Transition for another day.

BDtD rules :D make sure to get the Joe Floyd mix of Transition, much better than the original mix.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:40 pm 

Also as an added notion - more people need to get into Inquisicion's "Black Leather From Hell". Apart from the awesome title the albums is full of riffy, ballsy but strangely majestic heavy/speed metal. Check out the title track or "Dragonslayer". But really all of the tracks are good - some are more riffy midpaced killer some are speed metal burners. I got the album on CD but it's a bitch to find though.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:33 pm 

So, that new Agent Steel Masters of Metal EP is quite good. The last track, Lunacy, is a bit clunky but the rest of them fucking kill. Evolution of Being, especially, is one of the best modern heavy/speed metal tracks I've heard.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Also as an added notion - more people need to get into Inquisicion's "Black Leather From Hell". Apart from the awesome title the albums is full of riffy, ballsy but strangely majestic heavy/speed metal. Check out the title track or "Dragonslayer". But really all of the tracks are good - some are more riffy midpaced killer some are speed metal burners. I got the album on CD but it's a bitch to find though.

Great band. I'm surprised more people don't talk about them. Great lead guitarist! They remind me a bit of RIOT or LOUDNESS. My favorite song of theirs is "Hellracer".

DESTRUCT
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 pm 

Does anyone know a band/album that sounds a lot like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b63tlUMorDM

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Great band. I'm surprised more people don't talk about them. Great lead guitarist! They remind me a bit of RIOT or LOUDNESS. My favorite song of theirs is "Hellracer".

Indeed a very good band. The vocalist is sometimes a little off and could you a little more grit in his voice but the leads are awesome. There is also some Raven in their song and a lot of "Thundersteel"-era Riot. As for why they are less known - I guess maybe because their albums are very hard to get.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 pm 

Just got home from Ragnarokkr Fest. It was fucking awesome. Will go into details later.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm 

DESTRUCT wrote:
Does anyone know a band/album that sounds a lot like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b63tlUMorDM

Kick Axe, also known as Specter General, the band that contributed two awesome songs to the old 80's Transformers movie. Pretty simple, catchy old-school Canadian metal.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm 

Could someone rec me trad/speed metal bands like Scanner? You know with sci-fi lyrical themes & aesthetic. Thanks in advance guys!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm 

Heir Apparent - Graceful Fucking Inheritance :bow:
Should have checked this one earlier. It's awesomely good. Gotta love those vocals.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 am 

Aydross wrote:
Heir Apparent - Graceful Fucking Inheritance :bow:
Should have checked this one earlier. It's awesomely good. Gotta love those vocals.

That's a great album and band. Power and grace, melody and force all in one package. And the vocals are truly awesome. Shame the later stuff is not up to par.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Get the "Tyrants" EP too if you can. That one is almost on the level of Ample Destruction but not as scorching. More NWOBHM-minded in my opinion. Still some great songs to be had there and 8 (!) bonus tracks.

Alright, I'll keep an eye out for that one as well.

So now that the new Satan has come out, what's does everyone think of it? Those two samples (title track and Siege Mentality) are awesome, is the album consistent with those songs?

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm 

So anyone hear the newest rebellion? It has some nice, catchy nubmers but at points it definitely feels like they're going through the motions compared to their awesome viking history trilogy. The production lacks a lot of punch, and it gets bogged down repeating the chorus a lot. Not a bad album, but they're definitely come down a level.

Also, anyone know of bands that mix europower and epic doom? The only time I hear most europower bands slow down is for a ballad, other than that it's all mid paced and fast stuff. I guess some virgin steele esque uspm with epic doom would be pretty cool. Virgin Steele + Atlantean Kodex would be awesome.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Also, anyone know of bands that mix europower and epic doom? The only time I hear most europower bands slow down is for a ballad, other than that it's all mid paced and fast stuff. I guess some virgin steele esque uspm with epic doom would be pretty cool. Virgin Steele + Atlantean Kodex would be awesome.

You could give Heathendom a try. Not sure how exact it'll be for what you want, though...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 pm 

Zdan wrote:

By far their best album is the debut, Steel Vengeance. It's definitely their most ambitious, and reminds me of progressive USPM/oldschool heavy metal. Subsequent albums aren't bad but I think after they failed to get a lot of attention with the debut, they decided to go for a more accessible style, to their detriment. In terms of production, Steel Vengeance is certainly rough around the edges, and the singer isn't always totally on key, but fuck is the songwriting great, and the occult atmosphere is as thick as a brick. Not a lot of power metal with lyrics about Shub-Niggurath, but Inquisicion got 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yigdiE7Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0v7OmlSPTk

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 am 

Firewind's "Between Heaven And Hell" is a really enjoyable album. Nothing mindblowing, but it has plenty of crunch, and plenty of catchy choruses. Warrior is definitely the highlight, for me.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 am 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
So anyone hear the newest rebellion? It has some nice, catchy nubmers but at points it definitely feels like they're going through the motions compared to their awesome viking history trilogy. The production lacks a lot of punch, and it gets bogged down repeating the chorus a lot. Not a bad album, but they're definitely come down a level.

I heard a couple of songs. I'm not all that familiar with Rebellion, in general, but it sounds like they've replaced Uwe Lulis with a guy who's an average lead player. Now, that seems like a really silly move if you ask me. If you're gonna replace Uwe Lulis... get Manni Schmidt! :P

I'm digging Pokolgép's Pokoli színjáték at the moment. My first exposure to Hungarian metal and it's just really fun, uplifting stuff. What do you lot make of this band?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Zdan wrote:

By far their best album is the debut, Steel Vengeance. It's definitely their most ambitious, and reminds me of progressive USPM/oldschool heavy metal. Subsequent albums aren't bad but I think after they failed to get a lot of attention with the debut, they decided to go for a more accessible style, to their detriment. In terms of production, Steel Vengeance is certainly rough around the edges, and the singer isn't always totally on key, but fuck is the songwriting great, and the occult atmosphere is as thick as a brick. Not a lot of power metal with lyrics about Shub-Niggurath, but Inquisicion got 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yigdiE7Lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0v7OmlSPTk

I have not heard the debut as I only heard good things about the second album. That second one does seem more accessible but more in a Raven/Riot/NWOBHM style. I gotta listen to the debut album sometime but from what I heard it does sound more progressive and rough in terms of production. This is not a flaw in my mind. Gotta go listen to it more.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm 

I thought the new Rebellion was fucking awesome, especially if you know the story of Arminius.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:45 am 

We went back to the studio to fix the vocals of the Blazon Stone title track, sounds much better now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8T9pDYwRQ

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:59 am 

A rainy haze clouds the surface of great lake Michigan as eight Canadian bangers, leather-clad and kutte-bedecked, swarm a south-end Chicago hotel. Beers are slammed. Boomboxes are blasted. Breaded steaks and Mac 'n' cheese are noshed. Members of the speed metal band Gatekrashor secure halls, elevators and hotel rooms with six-shooter nerf guns, imitating the gameplay of Doom as hotel patrons and staff stare dumbfounded at the chaos rampant. Ragnarokkr has descended upon Chicago and after this true metal apocalypse, things will never be the same.

In Brief:

Earthen:
Missed due to food

Paradoxx
Missed due to food

Wrath
Listened while checking out the vendors, sounded really really good!

Gatekrashor
Local boys did me proud. Obviously shakin' in their trashy leather boots but they did a great job and the house was packed. Hail Canadia, hail Razor, etc

Blood Feast:
Liked 'em way more than expected. Heavy, angry shit, much like the one I took after that breaded steak from Rico's by the hotel

Dark Mirror:
What happened? Album sounded killer but the vocals were totally different at the gig. Live sound wasn't good either. Tried and tried but couldn't get into it

Eldritch
Felt bad for skipping these guys since they came from so far, but for some reason I just had no desire to see them. Smeldritch?

Vanlade
Total fun, better than I expected. Gotta be on main stage next time, methinkest. Tough to tear myself away halfway through their set

Ashbury:
Fuck everything except this band. Showed everyone how it's done. Pure magic, total class. MADMAN!

Tyrant's Reign
Total knockout! How can that guy still sing like that? I was worried that these old bastards turned into suits and filing cabinets over the years but they've still got it!

Inner Seige
Caught two songs, sounded really really good. My kind of modern prog/power. Strong vocals

Omen
Had waaaaaay too much fun watching them. Played all the tunes I wanted to hear. Kenny Powell is a legend. Vocalist sounded good though he looked like my dad coming home from the gym, and his banter was a little Anselmo for my tastes. Didn't stop me from LOSING MY FUCKING MIND!

Day two later
Encloaked

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:07 pm 

Came across a good heavy metal band in the queue. Majestic heavy metal with strong melodies and a pretty good vocalist who has a good higher range but doesn't quite have the same tone in the lower range. Still worth a listen.

http://www.reverbnation.com/phantom666

http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/3540364051

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:35 pm 

Looks like their EP is up for download on soundcloud. Nice.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 am 

Ugh, I hope more Tyrant's Reign shows happen in the future. I wanna see them SO BADLY.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:23 am 

You missed Paradox because of food!? Shame on you!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am 

It was this Paradoxx btw
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Paradoxx/16633

pretty fucking good food, though. Some friends saw them and said they played some new stuff which sounded like Nu metal. My worst fear about band reunion. :(
Encloaked

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:10 pm 

My copies of the High Roller Jag Panzer reissues of "Tyrants" and "Ample Destruction" just arrived. They sound and look awesome. Tyrants is full of very cool bonus tracks. People have been clamoring for years for those re-releases - get them! If this urges High Roller to re-release more classic stuff like this everybody (even people who own Ample Destruction/Tyrants already) should buy those - they are probably the best versions of these albums you will ever find.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 pm 

Just got into Prodigy's As Darkness Reigns lately. So far ''No Faith for the Liar'' is probably my favourite track of that demo. Just cool USPM you can't really go wrong with.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:51 pm 

Zdan wrote:
My copies of the High Roller Jag Panzer reissues of "Tyrants" and "Ample Destruction" just arrived. They sound and look awesome. Tyrants is full of very cool bonus tracks. People have been clamoring for years for those re-releases - get them! If this urges High Roller to re-release more classic stuff like this everybody (even people who own Ample Destruction/Tyrants already) should buy those - they are probably the best versions of these albums you will ever find.

How many bonus tracks are on the Tyrants disc, out of curiosity? Both of them seem to be out at the end of the month over here, definitely looking to purchase Ample Destruction, Tyrants is a maybe at the moment.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm 

You can get all 4 Jag Panzer reissues from High Roller's site directly. That is what I did. The "Tyrants" reissue has a whopping 8 bonus tracks. Some unreleased stuff and some demo stuff. Most of it sounds pretty good. I really reccomend getting "Tyrants" too. The songs from that EP are almost as good as "Ample..." if a little rawer in tone.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 pm 

Element_man wrote:
It was this Paradoxx btw
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Paradoxx/16633

pretty fucking good food, though. Some friends saw them and said they played some new stuff which sounded like Nu metal. My worst fear about band reunion. :(

Oh okay, not the German thrash band. I'll redact my shame.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:20 pm 

Well, I guess noone saw my previous post, So I'll ask again. Could someone recommend me some power/speed metal like Scanner with entirely or overtly Sci - Fi themes and lyrics? Thanks again guys.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 pm 

Iron Savior?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:19 am 

The new Battle Beast is making me so happy :lol:

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:46 am 

HellishHound wrote:
Well, I guess noone saw my previous post, So I'll ask again. Could someone recommend me some power/speed metal like Scanner with entirely or overtly Sci - Fi themes and lyrics? Thanks again guys.

Musically, it might not be quite what you're looking for, but Slough Feg's Traveller album is based off of the sci-fi roleplaying game of the same name. Fantastic album and band.

Check out High Passage / Low Passage and see what you think.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395 ... 624  Next