* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm 

Its a solo project I've been working on:

http://beyondthesuffering.bandcamp.com/

I'm going to be releasing a full album next, and I want to know what I could work on this time...

Thanks.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 pm 

I don't like the riffing very much but that could just be a matter of taste.

As for the objective feedback, work on the overall tightness of the playing. It's not really out of time, but quite a few parts don't lock together as nicely as they should. Record with both a click track AND the drumtrack, that helps a lot for me.

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 am 

somefella wrote:

As for the objective feedback, work on the overall tightness of the playing. It's not really out of time, but quite a few parts don't lock together as nicely as they should. Record with both a click track AND the drumtrack, that helps a lot for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is the riffing generic? Is it the style?

And also, I agree that the playing could definitely be tightened up a lot.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:21 am 

Couple of questions

1. Where is your guitar sound coming from?
2. Is that Superior drummer?

I am listening to the first part of your recordings and it sounds terrific.. I don't think that there is a problem at all with this music, release it.

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 pm 

Baldrs wrote:
Couple of questions

I am listening to the first part of your recordings and it sounds terrific.. I don't think that there is a problem at all with this music, release it.

Thank you! That's great to hear. I will be writing music for this project and releasing albums whenever I can find time.

The sound is using VST's if you want links to what I used I can supply you with them.

Yes it is superior drummer, and since I released this I have already made a much better sounding kit. I also have purchased an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer since I recorded this. So that will only improve the sound.

The next thing I release is going to be a full album. I'm going to do my best to make the songs sound less scattered. I'm also going to spend MUCH more time on the vocals, and get them to sound much better. The next release is probably going to be more melodic death metal oriented. Less hardcore influence.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 pm 

beyondthesufferingband wrote:
somefella wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

And also, I agree that the playing could definitely be tightened up a lot.

It's just my opinion man, but yes the riffing is kinda generic. And generic is okay IF the riff is very catchy and groovy or memorable, which I'm afraid it is not. You just have to set a higher standard for yourself when writing songs. My vocalist writes all our songs and I immediately tell him if a particular riff isn't great. If it's just decent or ok-ish, why keep it? Would YOU listen to an ok-ish album all the way through?

As for tightness, just be disciplined and work on it with a metronome man, it'll turn out fine. I feel tightness is a result of discipline and practice, not talent. Meaning anybody in the world can do it and the only reason why you can't is because you didn't practice enough.

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 pm 

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback.

And also, I agree that the playing could definitely be tightened up a lot.[/quote]

It's just my opinion man, but yes the riffing is kinda generic. And generic is okay IF the riff is very catchy and groovy or memorable, which I'm afraid it is not. You just have to set a higher standard for yourself when writing songs. My vocalist writes all our songs and I immediately tell him if a particular riff isn't great. If it's just decent or ok-ish, why keep it? Would YOU listen to an ok-ish album all the way through?

As for tightness, just be disciplined and work on it with a metronome man, it'll turn out fine. I feel tightness is a result of discipline and practice, not talent. Meaning anybody in the world can do it and the only reason why you can't is because you didn't practice enough.[/quote]

Yeah. I feel like catchiness seems to be a matter of opinion, honestly. A band like Dark Tranquility never seemed to write particularly catchy riffs in my opinion, that's why I found other ways to like them. While any song off of The Jester Race will seem to be stuck in my head for days on end. But I understand what your saying. Generic riffs must be catchy.

Below is one of my older originals. If the riff at 1:30 isn't catchy then I guess I don't know what catchy sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWg_b75ccLQ

EDIT: I completely butchered the quotes and I have no idea how to put them back to the way they are supposed to be haha... sorry about that...

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:36 am 

beyondthesufferingband wrote:
Baldrs wrote:
Couple of questions

Thank you! That's great to hear. I will be writing music for this project and releasing albums whenever I can find time.

The sound is using VST's if you want links to what I used I can supply you with them.

Yes it is superior drummer, and since I released this I have already made a much better sounding kit. I also have purchased an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer since I recorded this. So that will only improve the sound.

The next thing I release is going to be a full album. I'm going to do my best to make the songs sound less scattered. I'm also going to spend MUCH more time on the vocals, and get them to sound much better. The next release is probably going to be more melodic death metal oriented. Less hardcore influence.

Cool. Hook me up with the VST's so I can make a bit more than wall of noise, hahaha. I like the hardcore influence, if you like hardcore check out Stampin Ground from the UK. They're broken up now, and the vocalist is in a band called Romeo Must Die, but that band was a great hardcore band.

I respect the other posters opinion. I wouldn't worry too much about generic vs not generic and tightness. If it sounds heavy and you and your mates like it, release the damn thing. With the style of riffs, the tightness and the clean production, you'll get fans and gigs. It's fucking solid.

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:03 pm 

Baldrs wrote:
Couple of questions

The next thing I release is going to be a full album. I'm going to do my best to make the songs sound less scattered. I'm also going to spend MUCH more time on the vocals, and get them to sound much better. The next release is probably going to be more melodic death metal oriented. Less hardcore influence.[/quote]

Cool. Hook me up with the VST's so I can make a bit more than wall of noise, hahaha. I like the hardcore influence, if you like hardcore check out Stampin Ground from the UK. They're broken up now, and the vocalist is in a band called Romeo Must Die, but that band was a great hardcore band.

I respect the other posters opinion. I wouldn't worry too much about generic vs not generic and tightness. If it sounds heavy and you and your mates like it, release the damn thing. With the style of riffs, the tightness and the clean production, you'll get fans and gigs. It's fucking solid.[/quote]

Thanks. I sent you a PM.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:49 am 

I only listened to a little bit (getting late, I'm tired), but I like it.

A live drummer would be really good. You can hear that these are programmed drums. I like the vocal energy, and overall this sounds decently written and it has some good energy.

Good stuff. Cheers.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 am 

Baldrs wrote:
I respect the other posters opinion. I wouldn't worry too much about generic vs not generic and tightness. If it sounds heavy and you and your mates like it, release the damn thing. With the style of riffs, the tightness and the clean production, you'll get fans and gigs. It's fucking solid.

Now that's not such good advice. Of course the first person to please is yourself, but that doesn't mean a shoddy job(which is not what the OP's band is, just to be clear) is acceptable. Standards must still be enforced. The only subjective factor should be the songwriting and even then it's not completely subjective. Good production(meaning balanced, not crystal clear), tight/convinced recordings and tight live performances shouldn't even be optional, ever. Even if someone with zero musical knowledge tells you a sloppy performance was good, accept the compliment but pay it no heed. Being hard on yourself is the best way to drive yourself forward, unless your delicate sensibilities can't handle it which shouldn't be the case either.

Not a critique to the OP, but I'm just saying. This is how I learned as well. It's not fun at all to practice your heart out and be told day in day out that you're playing like shit. But swallow it up, and practice some more, and get good.

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 am 

somefella wrote:
Baldrs wrote:

Now that's not such good advice. Of course the first person to please is yourself, but that doesn't mean a shoddy job(which is not what the OP's band is, just to be clear) is acceptable. Standards must still be enforced. The only subjective factor should be the songwriting and even then it's not completely subjective. Good production(meaning balanced, not crystal clear), tight/convinced recordings and tight live performances shouldn't even be optional, ever. Even if someone with zero musical knowledge tells you a sloppy performance was good, accept the compliment but pay it no heed. Being hard on yourself is the best way to drive yourself forward, unless your delicate sensibilities can't handle it which shouldn't be the case either.

Not a critique to the OP, but I'm just saying. This is how I learned as well. It's not fun at all to practice your heart out and be told day in day out that you're playing like shit. But swallow it up, and practice some more, and get good.

True. I need to focus more on the playing aspect and less on the creative aspect of creating music. If it sounds sloppy then it sounds unprofessional, a lot of people wouldn't want to bother with listening to something that sounds sloppy.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:42 am 

Both are equally important IMO. A good song with many great and interesting ideas can be marred by a shitty production or off-time playing, and playing like a musical god doesn't matter if the song is boring(see post-debut Yngwie)

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 am 

somefella wrote:
Baldrs wrote:

Well, the OP will see what works for him/her, but I still think it sounds brilliant, it just needs some vocals and it would be perfect for release on an EP. I keep listening to it over and over myself, so, go figure.

EDIT: Just realized that I've been listening to a more recent track that the OP sent me in a PM. I still think what you're doing sounds great OP, when you release this stuff I'll definitely want to purchase a copy.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:01 am 

I am not into the style and found the songs derivative, but still fairly on the professional side.

The bass sounds off in the first song at around :20-:38, some other places too, and every time that riff repeats, almost like the notes were improperly fretted, played a little bent, or as if the tuning was a bit off - I can't pin it down. Did you record that bass part once and copy and paste it in the editing software? I ask because if you didn't, then chances are it isn't just off notes, if you played the riff each time and it sounds like that then it is probably some other issue.

The far away style vocals on "The Consequence" starting around 1:30 were more than a little distracting for me. They sounded out of place being much rawer than the rest of the music in terms of both production and style. Also a minor thing, I am hearing some squeaking with the chugging park towards the end of the instrumental.

I think you are ready to release a full album, though definitely listen to somefella's advice on tightness. I hope that helps and good luck!

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 am 

Apteronotus wrote:
I am not into the style and found the songs derivative, but still fairly on the professional side.

The bass sounds off in the first song at around :20-:38, some other places too, and every time that riff repeats, almost like the notes were improperly fretted, played a little bent, or as if the tuning was a bit off - I can't pin it down. Did you record that bass part once and copy and paste it in the editing software? I ask because if you didn't, then chances are it isn't just off notes, if you played the riff each time and it sounds like that then it is probably some other issue.

The far away style vocals on "The Consequence" starting around 1:30 were more than a little distracting for me. They sounded out of place being much rawer than the rest of the music in terms of both production and style. Also a minor thing, I am hearing some squeaking with the chugging park towards the end of the instrumental.

I think you are ready to release a full album, though definitely listen to somefella's advice on tightness. I hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks! For whatever reason everytime I muted the strings after a palm mute my guitar makes an awful squeaking noise. I have no idea why it does this or how to fix it. And also, I can't listen to the song right now, but I dont think that I copy and pasted any bass parts on the EP. But it may be the case, I'm not sure why I would.

Right now I'm working on getting that middleground between harsh raw vocals and that "hardcore bark" that I do. I need something raspy but not a shriek.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will definitely take it all into consideration on the full album.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 am 

It's probably just a bad cable, rusty jack, or maybe you're muting with your left hand on a natural harmonic?(5th fret, 7th fret, etc). You might be able to cut some of it out with the editing software but if it's on EVERY palm-mute that might be a problem.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 am 

I only listened to the first track, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I agree with the suggestions on tightness; it sounds slightly off at some parts, but that may just be because you programmed the drums or whatever. It ain't got no feel! ;) Also, turn the bass up a little more! Someone mentioned something about the bass sounding off, and I'm not sure if I can agree or disagree because I can barely hear it!

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 am 

XcKyle93 wrote:
I only listened to the first track, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I agree with the suggestions on tightness; it sounds slightly off at some parts, but that may just be because you programmed the drums or whatever. It ain't got no feel! ;) Also, turn the bass up a little more! Someone mentioned something about the bass sounding off, and I'm not sure if I can agree or disagree because I can barely hear it!

I like having loud bass but at the same time I don't want it to overwhelm the mix and make it sound muddy.

EDIT: Well, not necessarily loud, but, louder. Haha.

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:43 pm 

Sounds good! I like the title song. Also the cover looks awesome. Keep it up!

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

Reply to topic