Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 pm 

Nothing beats Fear. Unintentional comedy gold right there.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:17 am 

Damnation Alley *

Released in 1977 by 20th Century Fox, this had almost twice the budget of Star Wars yet this film looks worse than a bad Roger Corman production. Didn't think that was possible. It's an unfaithful adaptation of some post-apocalyptic adventure novel about a band of USAF guys who trek through the title passage after some nukes dropped. Badly directed and with some absolutely horrible special effects along with the stupidest happy ending I've seen in a long time. The only things of interest is the high-tech RV and that a pre A-Team George Peppard and pre-Airwolf Jan Michael-Vincent are in the same movie but then again, not so much. Avoid.

Glengarry Glen Ross **1/2

This movie is nothing more than a filmed adaptation of David Mamet's play about a group of predatory real estate salesmen desperately vying for the best lead in a thinning market of suckers. I thought the film could have done more to upgrade the urban set for the film but the performances here are the real meat. Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey and Alan Arkin. How's that for heavy hitters showing off the acting chops? Pacino and Lemmon's performances are particularly delicious. I've never been a big Alec Baldwin fan but his "Coffee is for Closers" rant is priceless. Actually, everybody is awesome in this although I would say Harris is probably the weakest of the bunch.

The Shout ***1/2

I once long ago saw this movie presented on one of those local weekly late night horror movie of the week features but it's not at all a horror film but rather a deeply psychological drama in the vein of Polanski's Cul-De-Sac. Set in rural Devon, a mental patient (Alan Bates) weaves his tale to a scorekeeper(Tim Curry)about the intrusive sexual affair he had with the young couple (John Hurt and Susannah York) in attendance at the sunny cricket match for which the story is framed around. Is the man's tale to be believed or his he just another resident loon? That question will elicit much discussion about the device of unreliable narrator afterwards. A very good piece of intellectual 70's cinema.

Demoni 2 *1/2

I'm not sure if I like this better than the original which was fun for what it was: a totally brainless grindhouse romp for gorehounds. It was basically like Evil Dead but set in a movie theater. This sequel is very much a retread of its predecessor except it takes place in a swanky apartment high rise which I think offers more visual variety. It has slightly more visual panache too as I liked how the lighting and angles were used to capture the action in that setting but that makes it nothing more than a polished turd because the filmmakers do little that is competent. There's a slight attempt at plot this time around but it's completely incoherent compared to the first film only because the first one had no plot to begin with. 2 is slightly less gory too. I do love the awesome 80's atmosphere and cheesiness of it all. Not quite in the "so-bad-it's good" category but damn close.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am 

So I just watched Lost in Translation. Why the hell was this pretentious movie so critically acclaimed? Basically nothing happened. Two angsty, rich, self-absorbed Americans mope around for a while, meet each other and hang out, then feel less angsty. They don't actually DO anything to be less angsty, they're still just as directionless and self-absorbed as before, but they FEEL BETTER. There's no conflict, no resolution, no nothing. Fucking nothing happens. It's one of those irritatingly vague movies where people can read all sorts of bullcrap into it if they try, but at the end of the day I just found it incredibly shallow and wanting.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 pm 

I really like Lost in Translation. I think the whole point is that both characters felt alienated by their regular lives and are living escapist lives in Japan, which is a place where Americans would feel alienated. They hang out together and are drawn together because of the simple bond of both being misfits in a strange place, but ultimately they both realize that, despite whatever fun they had together, their problems are real and building a friendship based on their similar circumstances isn't really a replacement for getting their shit together in their respective lives.

EDIT: I also liked that, despite the revelation I just mentioned, there *is* no resolution or real character growth or development. Life isn't always full of epiphanies that lead to dramatic character growth because people are resistant to change. The epiphany happens but whether or not it has any lasting impact on the characters' lives is an open-ended question. It's not really super deep or anything, it's just a story that I think does a pretty decent job of capturing how people might react to things emotionally in the real world, even if the circumstances and characters are sort of unusual.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 pm 

Watched The Paperboy last night... which I think I hated but I can't even decide... I think I just don't care enough about it to even form an opinion. It ended and I asked myself... what the fuck was that even about? The initial premise is pretty straight forward "A reporter returns to his Florida hometown to investigate a case involving a death row inmate." but then it just kinda meanders around for a while before getting burly and somewhat interesting at the end. None of the plot points or anything that really happens in the movie are even remotely fleshed out. McConaghey plays a southern dude like always, Efron is some sexually frustrated turd, Kidman is a wacky middle aged lady obsessed with prison cock... I think Cusack was my favorite part... he was definitely my favorite part actually, playing the "death row inmate" and comes off genuinely fucked. I hate Nicole Kidman but I won't deny watching her pretend to blow Cusack and get off while just staring at him from across the room was entertaining.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 pm 

Lost in Translation is one of my favorite movies. I just love the characters and the acting - it's like a Fitzgerald/Hemingway sort of story where not a lot happens but it's still very watchable and likable just based on the characters. I can see why people don't like it, but I always enjoy it every time I turn it on, and like I said, just Murray and Johansson's acting and characters really make the film great to me. It's just about two people meeting by chance and affecting each others' lives. The directing is also great and just keeps me hooked for the whole thing, the pacing is wonderful and basically what I'm trying to say is - I always enjoy every second of it. I think it's a great display of humanity and a very well done command of fictional characterization.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
EDIT: I also liked that, despite the revelation I just mentioned, there *is* no resolution or real character growth or development. Life isn't always full of epiphanies that lead to dramatic character growth because people are resistant to change. The epiphany happens but whether or not it has any lasting impact on the characters' lives is an open-ended question. It's not really super deep or anything, it's just a story that I think does a pretty decent job of capturing how people might react to things emotionally in the real world, even if the circumstances and characters are sort of unusual.

Sure life isn't always full of drama, that's why we watch movies. Real life is fucking boring. I did think the acting was very good, but I was just really bored with how little happened. I really think it would have been better if Scarjo's character ended up leaving her husband or something. One of the main points of fiction is to distill life down to those important moments and skip over the boring parts - people spend a lot of time in the bathroom too, does that mean watching actors crap for 10 minutes every movie would be good because it's realistic?

Empyreal wrote:
Lost in Translation is one of my favorite movies. I just love the characters and the acting - it's like a Fitzgerald/Hemingway sort of story where not a lot happens but it's still very watchable and likable just based on the characters.

Hemingway? Tons happens in every Hemingway story I've read. People die, fish die, there's drama coming out of everyone's asses.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
So you've doubtless seen the two James Gray films we was in, right? Those were the only two films I could tolerate Marky Mark in.

Let me rephrase. I don't go out of my way for him, and James Gray rings no bells, but I'd watch Pain & Gain despite it being a Michael Bay .. *shudder* .. feature.

[+} In Lost in Translation, one of the things the characters have in common is that they're both shallow losers. Not what I would call a "charismatic premise". One's a washed up has-been, one's only beginning to suck at life (but, hey, at least her boyfriend sucks worse, right?). They couldn't be plucky if they tried (see karaoke scene). So .. no, not an inspiring story, so much as it's a fuzzy, comfortably pervy survey of first world problems. I haven't seen it in a long time, and at the time I was pretty much enthralled, the boobs and pretty convincing me it was better than it is. I'm not so much less weak as more bitter nowadays, so I don't know how Lost in Translation would hold up. It's sweet, and I can't really imagine outright hating it, but I'll bet the swoon effect will have waned.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 pm 

I get you on the "first world problems" thing and similar movies with rich white people bitching about their supposedly miserable lives in movies usually annoys me ("The Squid and the Whale," "Igby Goes Down"). Lost in Translation just breaks that mold for me, maybe because while the two main characters were both disenfranchised with their lives, only Bill Murray ever really got whiny about it but it's Bill Murray so all is forgiven.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 pm 

:lol: ok, so only people in physical danger in third world countries can have real problems?

You guys must hate the vast majority of literature. Only Post-Marxist/Colonial/Feminist/Black writers for you guys, eh?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:19 pm 

Yes, only people in physical danger in third world countries can have real problems. That is exactly what I'm arguing.

C'mon, dude.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm 

I just mean it sort of runs the gamut: In his story line there's the sexually frustrated mid-life crisis of an unwanted, low rung celebrity; a fair amount of money but can it buy him happiness? The loneliness among attention eats at him and the irony is that he's drowning his sorrows in the same hyped up liquor he shills, the pointlessness of having to shill "where is understanding in a world so vacant and comfy at the same time". I'm not saying the rich don't know pain, but I am saying that the tears of the idle rich are a bit more difficult to feel sympathy for.

In her story line she's basically on the threshold of the house wife, left alone by her successful husband to languish in a high-rise hotel room to while away her day like a Chekov beauty. I'm not scorning the movie for it. It's really endearing, but maybe I shouldn't say "first world" so much as "hipster problems". In the long run, they're going to be fine. But their beauty and their success make them ambivalent and in the end they want the world to change for them, which it does in a way by introducing them to each other as they mull and wander.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 pm 

Iron Man 3 tomorrow, the buzz seems good so far. Also curious as shit about Pain & Gain. Saw Shame earlier today, too. Good goddamn movie.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm 

I went to see Pain and Gain a second time today. Best new comedy I've seen in years.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Iron Man 3 tomorrow, the buzz seems good so far. Also curious as shit about Pain & Gain. Saw Shame earlier today, too. Good goddamn movie.

Fassbender is amazing in Shame, he deserves more recognition for this role.

I'll go see Iron Man 3 this weekend, can't wait. This is probably the last one too so I expect great things.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Fassbender is amazing in Shame, he deserves more recognition for this role.

I'll go see Iron Man 3 this weekend, can't wait. This is probably the last one too so I expect great things.

Not so sure about that. Marvel's planning Phase 3, which has some really weird stuff going on.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 pm 

Well, Downey's contract is up after Iron Man 3, and he's done some interviews recently stating that he doesn't want to "overstay his welcome" or some such. It's very likely he'll be in Avengers 2 but...I think I'm going to have to call his death for that one...
Death metal is eternal.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 pm 

I think he got $100 million for 3. :( so .. yeah, he can probably retire now.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am 

failsafeman wrote:
So I just watched Lost in Translation. Why the hell was this pretentious movie so critically acclaimed? Basically nothing happened. Two angsty, rich, self-absorbed Americans mope around for a while, meet each other and hang out, then feel less angsty. They don't actually DO anything to be less angsty, they're still just as directionless and self-absorbed as before, but they FEEL BETTER. There's no conflict, no resolution, no nothing. Fucking nothing happens. It's one of those irritatingly vague movies where people can read all sorts of bullcrap into it if they try, but at the end of the day I just found it incredibly shallow and wanting.

I agree with this entirely. I remember watching it thinking A) There has to something here that is moving or captivating for such a positive reaction and acclaim or B) Murray steals the show and delivers comedy cold. It's neither, and all of Bill Murray's memorable moments are in the 30 second trailer. At least make what they're saying insightful, humorous or entertaining, like the marvelous Side Ways did. I found a similar case with Little Miss Sunshine and all the love that received, except that had a direction, character development and a proper conclusion (however weak and punchline driven it may have been).

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:40 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Well, Downey's contract is up after Iron Man 3, and he's done some interviews recently stating that he doesn't want to "overstay his welcome" or some such. It's very likely he'll be in Avengers 2 but...I think I'm going to have to call his death for that one...

Johnny Depp was very similar with Pirates and look what happened there...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 am 

The full trailer for the new Carrie remake. I'm really not feeling this. Julianne Moore's the only one that even looks remotely fitting in this, and even she is paling in comparison to Piper Laurie. One major thing that's preventing me from getting into the mood is, and I really didn't think it'd be this, Chloe Grace Moretz. She looks insanely out of place in this. She does not look like she could be Carrie White. A major reason why Sissy Spacek and even Angela Bettis worked so well as the character is that you could conceivably believe that these two actresses really were Carrie White. They were both shy, kind of geeky, very frail looking people that cleaned up incredibly well when it came to the prom scenes. Grace Moretz just looks like she was already very made up long before the prom scenes even start to happen. Maybe it's that I can't get the thought of Hit Girl playing a shy, meek person, but Grace Moretz just looks very miscast here.

Also, I called the number at the end of the trailer. It's just a sound byte of Carrie answering the phone, getting thrown into the prayer closet by Margaret, Margaret reading the "Eve was weak" verse, and then threatening the caller to never call the number again. A voice then asks if you want to opt into further calls and texts from the number, obviously as part of a viral marketing thing.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:06 am 

The trailer I got for it revealed the entire movie, which was fucking stupid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:09 am 

What kind of surprises could you possibly have in a Carrie movie though? Everyone already knows the whole story and there's not a lot to it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 am 

Honestly, assuming everyone knows the whole story is pretty dumb. It's not remotely the best or most popular King adaptation. The fact is, if you show me everything that happens in your shitty looking movie, there will be no point left in seeing said movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:19 am 

You're right about the fact that it makes the movie worthless when the trailer shows you everything. But I dunno, Carrie is pretty well known. The whole dumping blood on her thing is one of those pop culture references, and while King may have a few more well known ones (Pennywise the clown, for instance), it's still pretty iconic. Maybe not EVERYONE knows it but it's weird that this is like the third time they're doing it now...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Honestly, assuming everyone knows the whole story is pretty dumb. It's not remotely the best or most popular King adaptation. The fact is, if you show me everything that happens in your shitty looking movie, there will be no point left in seeing said movie.

Yeah, that's another thing. The trailer is pretty much banking entirely on that the person that will most likely go see this has seen the original movie and knows the story already. It didn't bug me as much as some other stuff in it (see my original post), but it was still a little annoying.

That's something trailers nowadays do way too much of: revealing either the whole plot or all (see: the only) interesting stuff that will happen in the movie. You really can just get the gist of a movie by watching the trailer, not go see it, and be able to perfectly predict what will happen in said movie because the trailer revealed too much. If Empire came out nowadays, you can bet your ass they'd make a trailer for it that reveals that Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Empyreal wrote:
You're right about the fact that it makes the movie worthless when the trailer shows you everything. But I dunno, Carrie is pretty well known. The whole dumping blood on her thing is one of those pop culture references, and while King may have a few more well known ones (Pennywise the clown, for instance), it's still pretty iconic. Maybe not EVERYONE knows it but it's weird that this is like the third time they're doing it now...

The only way I could see this movie even possibly working is if they did something with the source material completely different from the other two adaptations. They won't though, as the 2002 version already did the story differently by following the novel closer than the De Palma movie did, although it could have easily done without that absolutely retarded ending.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Last edited by Subrick on Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:25 am 

Now that IT remake is necessary (if they're even still working on it.) The mini-series was one of the worst things ever and didn't remotely capture the feel of the book.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Watched The Paperboy last night... which I think I hated but I can't even decide... I think I just don't care enough about it to even form an opinion. It ended and I asked myself... what the fuck was that even about? The initial premise is pretty straight forward "A reporter returns to his Florida hometown to investigate a case involving a death row inmate." but then it just kinda meanders around for a while before getting burly and somewhat interesting at the end. None of the plot points or anything that really happens in the movie are even remotely fleshed out. McConaghey plays a southern dude like always, Efron is some sexually frustrated turd, Kidman is a wacky middle aged lady obsessed with prison cock... I think Cusack was my favorite part... he was definitely my favorite part actually, playing the "death row inmate" and comes off genuinely fucked. I hate Nicole Kidman but I won't deny watching her pretend to blow Cusack and get off while just staring at him from across the room was entertaining.

This was my favorite film of 2012, hands down. Can't understand how or why anyone could dislike Kidman; off the top of my head, I can't possibly think of a more versatile actress: Dogville, The Human Stain, Rabbit Hole, Flirting, To Die For, the list goes on and on and on. All amazing movies; all featuring amazing (and radically different) performances.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 am 

Subrick wrote:

The full trailer for the new Carrie remake. I'm really not feeling this. Julianne Moore's the only one that even looks remotely fitting in this, and even she is paling in comparison to Piper Laurie. One major thing that's preventing me from getting into the mood is, and I really didn't think it'd be this, Chloe Grace Moretz. She looks insanely out of place in this. She does not look like she could be Carrie White. A major reason why Sissy Spacek and even Angela Bettis worked so well as the character is that you could conceivably believe that these two actresses really were Carrie White. They were both shy, kind of geeky, very frail looking people that cleaned up incredibly well when it came to the prom scenes. Grace Moretz just looks like she was already very made up long before the prom scenes even start to happen. Maybe it's that I can't get the thought of Hit Girl playing a shy, meek person, but Grace Moretz just looks very miscast here.

Also, I called the number at the end of the trailer. It's just a sound byte of Carrie answering the phone, getting thrown into the prayer closet by Margaret, Margaret reading the "Eve was weak" verse, and then threatening the caller to never call the number again. A voice then asks if you want to opt into further calls and texts from the number, obviously as part of a viral marketing thing.

Supposedly its rated R, but its got teeny bopper written all over it. Wouldnt be surprised if they changed it to pg-13, since I only picture a bunch of high school kids seeing it.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am 

I have a broad request. I hope you guys can help me find something fitting. Last night I decided to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey again, only this time I was stoned. In this state I'm able to fully concentrate on what I'm watching and well, it was a great experience. Everything made sense (except for the ending for which I can't find a reasonable explanation yet) and I felt like living some sort of a dream.
Some other movies that made me feel something similar are: Valhalla Rising, L'Humanité, Hors Satan, Irréversible, Seul Contre Tous, Hunger, Angst, Werckmeister Harmonies, The War Zone.

I can't tell exactly why these movies in particular have some impact on me; maybe because of the lack of dialogue, the filming style, the story itself, the violence, or a combination of two or more of these. In any case, I'm looking for something powerful. It doesn't matter from which era or country as long as it's effective.

Some titles I watched which I thought would make me feel the same thing but didn't do it that much for me: Paris, Texas and Solaris. I enjoyed them but not the same way as the others I mentioned.

Anything to recommend?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am 

I'm not familiar with all of the movies you mentioned, but maybe you'd like Moon, Apocalypse Now, A Clockwork Orange, Mulholland Drive, or Lost Highway.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 pm 

Belial wrote:
I have a broad request. I hope you guys can help me find something fitting. Last night I decided to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey again, only this time I was stoned. In this state I'm able to fully concentrate on what I'm watching and well, it was a great experience. Everything made sense (except for the ending for which I can't find a reasonable explanation yet) and I felt like living some sort of a dream.
Some other movies that made me feel something similar are: Valhalla Rising, L'Humanité, Hors Satan, Irréversible, Seul Contre Tous, Hunger, Angst, Werckmeister Harmonies, The War Zone.

I can't tell exactly why these movies in particular have some impact on me; maybe because of the lack of dialogue, the filming style, the story itself, the violence, or a combination of two or more of these. In any case, I'm looking for something powerful. It doesn't matter from which era or country as long as it's effective.

Some titles I watched which I thought would make me feel the same thing but didn't do it that much for me: Paris, Texas and Solaris. I enjoyed them but not the same way as the others I mentioned.

Anything to recommend?

Haven't seen most of these movies you listed actually, but I was thinking of recommending the 1973 SOlaris to you. :lol: I'm assuming that's the one you mentioned that didn't quite work for you, and not the US remake.

Maybe try the Japanese movie Branded to Kill? Very strange take on the yakuza formula...very dreamlike and increasingly surreal as it goes on.

Or something like Once upon a Time in the West, perhaps?

How about El Topo?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

Speaking from experience, Blade Runner is great while your consciousness is altered. The visuals + the music are just great together. Also, Tron: Legacy is a feast for the eyes and ears, though light in the story department. Finally you might try some of the weirder 70s animated movies, stuff from Ralph Bakshi or Rankin/Bass (their version of the Hobbit and Flight of Dragons specifically).

This fan-made music video shows some of the cooler parts of Ralph Bakshi's animation.

This is a clip from Flight of Dragons with none other than James Earl Jones as the voice of the evil wizard. DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! That clip seriously needs to be in a metal song.

A clip from Bilbo's tense confrontation with Smaug. The cartoon Hobbit is kind of silly at times, but this scene definitely is not. I'd be surprised if Peter Jackson's version lives up to it.

Finally there's Fantastic Planet, a very strange French sci-fi movie. That's a fan-made music video which gives you an idea of the wild visuals.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:57 pm 

AKIRA is also very good while very high. but .. with the Japanese voices, not the American dubbing buzzkill.

edit:
failsafeman wrote:

This is not unlike how my conversations with Morrigan seem to go. *tugs collar* :oh shit:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
stuff from Ralph Bakshi

Heavy Traffic is a goddamn revelation stoned. I was never too big on his take of LOTR, though John Hurt as Aragorn was a pretty salient casting; speaking of, wasn't John Ford Gandolf, or was that in the other version?

Wizards is also absolutely worth watching. Cool World, on the other hand, really isn't.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm 

Funny, I just picked up the animated The Lord of the Rings from Barnes & Noble today. Got it for really cheap ($5). Personally, I think it's an excellent adaptation of the book, with its only big flaw being that it's unfinished. I love how closely it stuck to the source material, and I think Jackson should have followed its example.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
stuff from Ralph Bakshi

Heavy Traffic is a goddamn revelation stoned. I was never too big on his take of LOTR, though John Hurt as Aragorn was a pretty salient casting; speaking of, wasn't John Ford Gandolf, or was that in the other version?

Do you mean John Huston? Because he was Gandalf in the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and Return of the King, and is actually my favorite Gandalf ever. His voice is just perfect. When I later saw him in Chinatown, his voice kept kicking me back into severe nostalgia for the Hobbit, so it was very strange to see him as a villain. And yeah, Ralph Bakshi's LOTR is definitely seriously flawed; the hobbits for example are just awful, but the rotoscoping animation (the parts he actually had the budget to rotoscope properly, at least) is breathtaking.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:31 pm 

Dammit, yes, John Huston. I'm an idiot.

Have you seen Cool World, Wizards or Heavy Traffic, failsafeman?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

I have seen Cool World and am eternally surprised that Brad Pitt ever had a career after that. Clearly a second-rate Who Framed Roger Rabbit imitation. Wizards had some very cool animation but the story was just stupid for the most part, and the main characters were annoying. It's one of those cartoons where the villains were far cooler than the heroes, and I found myself rooting for them to win even though the villains never win in that sort of cartoon. When the villain goes down like a bitch at the end, I was supremely disappointed. I haven't seen Heavy Traffic, but I'd like to. Ralph Bakshi is very hit-or-miss, unfortunately. He'll pair up beautiful or surreal animation with really crass, stupid jokes, or just get goofy and nonsensical in an off-putting 70s way, which often causes serious tone whiplash.

So, in the same movie, you get this awesome, impressionistic opening scene with Sauron as a satanic shadow puppet:

And this horrible caricature of someone with Down's Syndrome as Samwise:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm 

Belial, you should check out Enter the Void, since you're already a Noé fan. Hard to recommend a more immersive cinematic mindfuck.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 818  Next