Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 pm 

I get you on the "first world problems" thing and similar movies with rich white people bitching about their supposedly miserable lives in movies usually annoys me ("The Squid and the Whale," "Igby Goes Down"). Lost in Translation just breaks that mold for me, maybe because while the two main characters were both disenfranchised with their lives, only Bill Murray ever really got whiny about it but it's Bill Murray so all is forgiven.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:09 pm 

:lol: ok, so only people in physical danger in third world countries can have real problems?

You guys must hate the vast majority of literature. Only Post-Marxist/Colonial/Feminist/Black writers for you guys, eh?

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:19 pm 

Yes, only people in physical danger in third world countries can have real problems. That is exactly what I'm arguing.

C'mon, dude.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm 

I just mean it sort of runs the gamut: In his story line there's the sexually frustrated mid-life crisis of an unwanted, low rung celebrity; a fair amount of money but can it buy him happiness? The loneliness among attention eats at him and the irony is that he's drowning his sorrows in the same hyped up liquor he shills, the pointlessness of having to shill "where is understanding in a world so vacant and comfy at the same time". I'm not saying the rich don't know pain, but I am saying that the tears of the idle rich are a bit more difficult to feel sympathy for.

In her story line she's basically on the threshold of the house wife, left alone by her successful husband to languish in a high-rise hotel room to while away her day like a Chekov beauty. I'm not scorning the movie for it. It's really endearing, but maybe I shouldn't say "first world" so much as "hipster problems". In the long run, they're going to be fine. But their beauty and their success make them ambivalent and in the end they want the world to change for them, which it does in a way by introducing them to each other as they mull and wander.

FasterDisaster
So Fast, You'll Crash

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 pm 

Iron Man 3 tomorrow, the buzz seems good so far. Also curious as shit about Pain & Gain. Saw Shame earlier today, too. Good goddamn movie.

DID SOMEBODY SAY SLAMMING BRUTAL DEATH METAL

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm 

I went to see Pain and Gain a second time today. Best new comedy I've seen in years.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Iron Man 3 tomorrow, the buzz seems good so far. Also curious as shit about Pain & Gain. Saw Shame earlier today, too. Good goddamn movie.

Fassbender is amazing in Shame, he deserves more recognition for this role.

I'll go see Iron Man 3 this weekend, can't wait. This is probably the last one too so I expect great things.

FasterDisaster
So Fast, You'll Crash

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Fassbender is amazing in Shame, he deserves more recognition for this role.

I'll go see Iron Man 3 this weekend, can't wait. This is probably the last one too so I expect great things.

Not so sure about that. Marvel's planning Phase 3, which has some really weird stuff going on.

DID SOMEBODY SAY SLAMMING BRUTAL DEATH METAL

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 pm 

Well, Downey's contract is up after Iron Man 3, and he's done some interviews recently stating that he doesn't want to "overstay his welcome" or some such. It's very likely he'll be in Avengers 2 but...I think I'm going to have to call his death for that one...
Death metal is eternal.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 pm 

I think he got $100 million for 3. :( so .. yeah, he can probably retire now.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am 

failsafeman wrote:
So I just watched Lost in Translation. Why the hell was this pretentious movie so critically acclaimed? Basically nothing happened. Two angsty, rich, self-absorbed Americans mope around for a while, meet each other and hang out, then feel less angsty. They don't actually DO anything to be less angsty, they're still just as directionless and self-absorbed as before, but they FEEL BETTER. There's no conflict, no resolution, no nothing. Fucking nothing happens. It's one of those irritatingly vague movies where people can read all sorts of bullcrap into it if they try, but at the end of the day I just found it incredibly shallow and wanting.

I agree with this entirely. I remember watching it thinking A) There has to something here that is moving or captivating for such a positive reaction and acclaim or B) Murray steals the show and delivers comedy cold. It's neither, and all of Bill Murray's memorable moments are in the 30 second trailer. At least make what they're saying insightful, humorous or entertaining, like the marvelous Side Ways did. I found a similar case with Little Miss Sunshine and all the love that received, except that had a direction, character development and a proper conclusion (however weak and punchline driven it may have been).

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:40 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Well, Downey's contract is up after Iron Man 3, and he's done some interviews recently stating that he doesn't want to "overstay his welcome" or some such. It's very likely he'll be in Avengers 2 but...I think I'm going to have to call his death for that one...

Johnny Depp was very similar with Pirates and look what happened there...

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 am 

The full trailer for the new Carrie remake. I'm really not feeling this. Julianne Moore's the only one that even looks remotely fitting in this, and even she is paling in comparison to Piper Laurie. One major thing that's preventing me from getting into the mood is, and I really didn't think it'd be this, Chloe Grace Moretz. She looks insanely out of place in this. She does not look like she could be Carrie White. A major reason why Sissy Spacek and even Angela Bettis worked so well as the character is that you could conceivably believe that these two actresses really were Carrie White. They were both shy, kind of geeky, very frail looking people that cleaned up incredibly well when it came to the prom scenes. Grace Moretz just looks like she was already very made up long before the prom scenes even start to happen. Maybe it's that I can't get the thought of Hit Girl playing a shy, meek person, but Grace Moretz just looks very miscast here.

Also, I called the number at the end of the trailer. It's just a sound byte of Carrie answering the phone, getting thrown into the prayer closet by Margaret, Margaret reading the "Eve was weak" verse, and then threatening the caller to never call the number again. A voice then asks if you want to opt into further calls and texts from the number, obviously as part of a viral marketing thing.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:06 am 

The trailer I got for it revealed the entire movie, which was fucking stupid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:09 am 

What kind of surprises could you possibly have in a Carrie movie though? Everyone already knows the whole story and there's not a lot to it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 am 

Honestly, assuming everyone knows the whole story is pretty dumb. It's not remotely the best or most popular King adaptation. The fact is, if you show me everything that happens in your shitty looking movie, there will be no point left in seeing said movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:19 am 

You're right about the fact that it makes the movie worthless when the trailer shows you everything. But I dunno, Carrie is pretty well known. The whole dumping blood on her thing is one of those pop culture references, and while King may have a few more well known ones (Pennywise the clown, for instance), it's still pretty iconic. Maybe not EVERYONE knows it but it's weird that this is like the third time they're doing it now...

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Honestly, assuming everyone knows the whole story is pretty dumb. It's not remotely the best or most popular King adaptation. The fact is, if you show me everything that happens in your shitty looking movie, there will be no point left in seeing said movie.

Yeah, that's another thing. The trailer is pretty much banking entirely on that the person that will most likely go see this has seen the original movie and knows the story already. It didn't bug me as much as some other stuff in it (see my original post), but it was still a little annoying.

That's something trailers nowadays do way too much of: revealing either the whole plot or all (see: the only) interesting stuff that will happen in the movie. You really can just get the gist of a movie by watching the trailer, not go see it, and be able to perfectly predict what will happen in said movie because the trailer revealed too much. If Empire came out nowadays, you can bet your ass they'd make a trailer for it that reveals that Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Empyreal wrote:
You're right about the fact that it makes the movie worthless when the trailer shows you everything. But I dunno, Carrie is pretty well known. The whole dumping blood on her thing is one of those pop culture references, and while King may have a few more well known ones (Pennywise the clown, for instance), it's still pretty iconic. Maybe not EVERYONE knows it but it's weird that this is like the third time they're doing it now...

The only way I could see this movie even possibly working is if they did something with the source material completely different from the other two adaptations. They won't though, as the 2002 version already did the story differently by following the novel closer than the De Palma movie did, although it could have easily done without that absolutely retarded ending.

Last edited by Subrick on Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:25 am 

Now that IT remake is necessary (if they're even still working on it.) The mini-series was one of the worst things ever and didn't remotely capture the feel of the book.

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Watched The Paperboy last night... which I think I hated but I can't even decide... I think I just don't care enough about it to even form an opinion. It ended and I asked myself... what the fuck was that even about? The initial premise is pretty straight forward "A reporter returns to his Florida hometown to investigate a case involving a death row inmate." but then it just kinda meanders around for a while before getting burly and somewhat interesting at the end. None of the plot points or anything that really happens in the movie are even remotely fleshed out. McConaghey plays a southern dude like always, Efron is some sexually frustrated turd, Kidman is a wacky middle aged lady obsessed with prison cock... I think Cusack was my favorite part... he was definitely my favorite part actually, playing the "death row inmate" and comes off genuinely fucked. I hate Nicole Kidman but I won't deny watching her pretend to blow Cusack and get off while just staring at him from across the room was entertaining.

This was my favorite film of 2012, hands down. Can't understand how or why anyone could dislike Kidman; off the top of my head, I can't possibly think of a more versatile actress: Dogville, The Human Stain, Rabbit Hole, Flirting, To Die For, the list goes on and on and on. All amazing movies; all featuring amazing (and radically different) performances.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 am 

Subrick wrote:

The full trailer for the new Carrie remake. I'm really not feeling this. Julianne Moore's the only one that even looks remotely fitting in this, and even she is paling in comparison to Piper Laurie. One major thing that's preventing me from getting into the mood is, and I really didn't think it'd be this, Chloe Grace Moretz. She looks insanely out of place in this. She does not look like she could be Carrie White. A major reason why Sissy Spacek and even Angela Bettis worked so well as the character is that you could conceivably believe that these two actresses really were Carrie White. They were both shy, kind of geeky, very frail looking people that cleaned up incredibly well when it came to the prom scenes. Grace Moretz just looks like she was already very made up long before the prom scenes even start to happen. Maybe it's that I can't get the thought of Hit Girl playing a shy, meek person, but Grace Moretz just looks very miscast here.

Also, I called the number at the end of the trailer. It's just a sound byte of Carrie answering the phone, getting thrown into the prayer closet by Margaret, Margaret reading the "Eve was weak" verse, and then threatening the caller to never call the number again. A voice then asks if you want to opt into further calls and texts from the number, obviously as part of a viral marketing thing.

Supposedly its rated R, but its got teeny bopper written all over it. Wouldnt be surprised if they changed it to pg-13, since I only picture a bunch of high school kids seeing it.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am 

I have a broad request. I hope you guys can help me find something fitting. Last night I decided to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey again, only this time I was stoned. In this state I'm able to fully concentrate on what I'm watching and well, it was a great experience. Everything made sense (except for the ending for which I can't find a reasonable explanation yet) and I felt like living some sort of a dream.
Some other movies that made me feel something similar are: Valhalla Rising, L'Humanité, Hors Satan, Irréversible, Seul Contre Tous, Hunger, Angst, Werckmeister Harmonies, The War Zone.

I can't tell exactly why these movies in particular have some impact on me; maybe because of the lack of dialogue, the filming style, the story itself, the violence, or a combination of two or more of these. In any case, I'm looking for something powerful. It doesn't matter from which era or country as long as it's effective.

Some titles I watched which I thought would make me feel the same thing but didn't do it that much for me: Paris, Texas and Solaris. I enjoyed them but not the same way as the others I mentioned.

Anything to recommend?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am 

I'm not familiar with all of the movies you mentioned, but maybe you'd like Moon, Apocalypse Now, A Clockwork Orange, Mulholland Drive, or Lost Highway.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 pm 

Belial wrote:
I have a broad request. I hope you guys can help me find something fitting. Last night I decided to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey again, only this time I was stoned. In this state I'm able to fully concentrate on what I'm watching and well, it was a great experience. Everything made sense (except for the ending for which I can't find a reasonable explanation yet) and I felt like living some sort of a dream.
Some other movies that made me feel something similar are: Valhalla Rising, L'Humanité, Hors Satan, Irréversible, Seul Contre Tous, Hunger, Angst, Werckmeister Harmonies, The War Zone.

I can't tell exactly why these movies in particular have some impact on me; maybe because of the lack of dialogue, the filming style, the story itself, the violence, or a combination of two or more of these. In any case, I'm looking for something powerful. It doesn't matter from which era or country as long as it's effective.

Some titles I watched which I thought would make me feel the same thing but didn't do it that much for me: Paris, Texas and Solaris. I enjoyed them but not the same way as the others I mentioned.

Anything to recommend?

Haven't seen most of these movies you listed actually, but I was thinking of recommending the 1973 SOlaris to you. :lol: I'm assuming that's the one you mentioned that didn't quite work for you, and not the US remake.

Maybe try the Japanese movie Branded to Kill? Very strange take on the yakuza formula...very dreamlike and increasingly surreal as it goes on.

Or something like Once upon a Time in the West, perhaps?

How about El Topo?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

Speaking from experience, Blade Runner is great while your consciousness is altered. The visuals + the music are just great together. Also, Tron: Legacy is a feast for the eyes and ears, though light in the story department. Finally you might try some of the weirder 70s animated movies, stuff from Ralph Bakshi or Rankin/Bass (their version of the Hobbit and Flight of Dragons specifically).

This fan-made music video shows some of the cooler parts of Ralph Bakshi's animation.

This is a clip from Flight of Dragons with none other than James Earl Jones as the voice of the evil wizard. DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! That clip seriously needs to be in a metal song.

A clip from Bilbo's tense confrontation with Smaug. The cartoon Hobbit is kind of silly at times, but this scene definitely is not. I'd be surprised if Peter Jackson's version lives up to it.

Finally there's Fantastic Planet, a very strange French sci-fi movie. That's a fan-made music video which gives you an idea of the wild visuals.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:57 pm 

AKIRA is also very good while very high. but .. with the Japanese voices, not the American dubbing buzzkill.

edit:
failsafeman wrote:

This is not unlike how my conversations with Morrigan seem to go. *tugs collar* :oh shit:

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
stuff from Ralph Bakshi

Heavy Traffic is a goddamn revelation stoned. I was never too big on his take of LOTR, though John Hurt as Aragorn was a pretty salient casting; speaking of, wasn't John Ford Gandolf, or was that in the other version?

Wizards is also absolutely worth watching. Cool World, on the other hand, really isn't.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:08 pm 

Funny, I just picked up the animated The Lord of the Rings from Barnes & Noble today. Got it for really cheap ($5). Personally, I think it's an excellent adaptation of the book, with its only big flaw being that it's unfinished. I love how closely it stuck to the source material, and I think Jackson should have followed its example.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
stuff from Ralph Bakshi

Heavy Traffic is a goddamn revelation stoned. I was never too big on his take of LOTR, though John Hurt as Aragorn was a pretty salient casting; speaking of, wasn't John Ford Gandolf, or was that in the other version?

Do you mean John Huston? Because he was Gandalf in the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and Return of the King, and is actually my favorite Gandalf ever. His voice is just perfect. When I later saw him in Chinatown, his voice kept kicking me back into severe nostalgia for the Hobbit, so it was very strange to see him as a villain. And yeah, Ralph Bakshi's LOTR is definitely seriously flawed; the hobbits for example are just awful, but the rotoscoping animation (the parts he actually had the budget to rotoscope properly, at least) is breathtaking.

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:31 pm 

Dammit, yes, John Huston. I'm an idiot.

Have you seen Cool World, Wizards or Heavy Traffic, failsafeman?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

I have seen Cool World and am eternally surprised that Brad Pitt ever had a career after that. Clearly a second-rate Who Framed Roger Rabbit imitation. Wizards had some very cool animation but the story was just stupid for the most part, and the main characters were annoying. It's one of those cartoons where the villains were far cooler than the heroes, and I found myself rooting for them to win even though the villains never win in that sort of cartoon. When the villain goes down like a bitch at the end, I was supremely disappointed. I haven't seen Heavy Traffic, but I'd like to. Ralph Bakshi is very hit-or-miss, unfortunately. He'll pair up beautiful or surreal animation with really crass, stupid jokes, or just get goofy and nonsensical in an off-putting 70s way, which often causes serious tone whiplash.

So, in the same movie, you get this awesome, impressionistic opening scene with Sauron as a satanic shadow puppet:
Spoiler: show

And this horrible caricature of someone with Down's Syndrome as Samwise:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm 

Belial, you should check out Enter the Void, since you're already a Noé fan. Hard to recommend a more immersive cinematic mindfuck.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:19 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Belial, you should check out Enter the Void, since you're already a Noé fan. Hard to recommend a more immersive cinematic mindfuck.
I was going to mention this. You should also get into Michael Haneke films, I have yet to see all his work but I would recommend Benny's Video and Funny Games.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:30 pm 

Man, I haven't seen Flight of Dragons in probably fifteen years. Thanks for the reminder of that fantastic movie, fsm.

Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 pm 

Just came back from the cinema. Went to see Iron Man 3 with the family. It was great; very balanced in regards to drama, humour, and action, and the climax was awesome. There was one thing that bothered me to the extreme though (WARNING: huge spoiler ahead):

The fact that the Mandarin was A FUCKING FAKE. I WANT MY MANDARIN, DAMNIT!!!

They made up for it though.

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 pm 

Funny Games is insanely overrated.

I've been wanting to watch Enter The Void, as I enjoyed other Gaspar Noé movies, but the running time puts me off. Especially considering what the movie is supposed to consist of.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:06 am 

I enjoyed Funny Games. Even when it got all "art film" on the viewer (see: the 5 minute lingering shot of the living room with the son's dead body in it while the parents slowly take in what just happened) it was still good.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:08 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I've been wanting to watch Enter The Void, as I enjoyed other Gaspar Noé movies, but the running time puts me off. Especially considering what the movie is supposed to consist of.

Oh, smoke a few bowls out of a makeshift tinfoil pipe and cowboy up, you pansy :P

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:13 am 

I'll make it a double bill with El Topo ;)

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:26 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I have seen Cool World and am eternally surprised that Brad Pitt ever had a career after that. Clearly a second-rate Who Framed Roger Rabbit imitation. Wizards had some very cool animation but the story was just stupid for the most part, and the main characters were annoying. It's one of those cartoons where the villains were far cooler than the heroes, and I found myself rooting for them to win even though the villains never win in that sort of cartoon. When the villain goes down like a bitch at the end, I was supremely disappointed. I haven't seen Heavy Traffic, but I'd like to. Ralph Bakshi is very hit-or-miss, unfortunately. He'll pair up beautiful or surreal animation with really crass, stupid jokes, or just get goofy and nonsensical in an off-putting 70s way, which often causes serious tone whiplash.

I didn't dislike either Cool World or (especially) Wizards as much as you, but that could just be because I last saw them before my voice changed (though that's not as long ago as you might think :P ). I actually re-watched Heavy Traffic just a few weeks ago and thought it held up just as well now as it did when I first watched it. It's certainly his weirdest film, often downright abandoning its (already very tenuous) main plot in favor of extended, esoteric, 70's flavored audio/visual assaults, yet in spite of that (or perhaps even for that reason), it may also be his strongest film overall. You should watch it :) .

There's never been a Hanake film I didn't think deserved a 10/10 and there's never been a Noe film I didn't think deserved castigation from the entire film community. Literally the opposite ends of the spectrum, far as I'm concerned.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 476  Next