* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
Skyrim isn't even that metal. Most of the game is bartering and menu trawling.

oddly, that's what a lot of metal heads here do..

Haha that's funny.
Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Tried to play Dark Souls. Talk about :brick:

I hear ya, I got all the achievements in Dark Souls cause I'm crazy like that

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 am 

Some Monster Hunter Tri themes we can't listen to anymore since these only played online, either in the online lobby or for certain online only monsters.

Jhen Moran's theme (the elder dragon of the land) Such an epic battle theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7iHmsjfHiQ

Alatreon's theme (the elder dragon of the sky)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJYeDcl49Hw

Deviljho (the ravenous brute wyvern with an insatiable appetite)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-dqMa1CwRc

Even Hunters Want To Dance (use the prance gesture when this plays)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwIceiPSc0

LocLac Become Eternal (have a few drinks at the tavern)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-w_JJzv_Q

LocLac's Great Thanksgiving (meet up with your fellow hunters and decide on what monster to hunt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vObcmJanxKY

Shooting Star and Airship (use the kickback gesture and wait for someone to post a hunt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswgddW6-6g

The Time Has Come (Jhen Moran's been sighted and everyone wants to hunt this giant land whale)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwY4-y5TWFw

Colosseum Battle (This song is available offline but not all arena hunts are available online. Taking on 2 monsters at once or 3 monsters in a row with a partner was just too fun. The most difficult to obtain items were won with arena hunts and skill was heavily involved. Anyone who hacked their Wii save file couldn't abuse it in the colosseum since you can't use your own armor and weapons and items.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gku4V5IhZ-M

Ceadeus (the elder dragon of the sea) Available offline but I just posted cause this one is my favorite. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9QjO4QRS9c

And finally, Testament of a Hero (the main theme of Monster Hunter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYs4UGE1-Xc

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 am 

So I finished Chrono Trigger for the first time last night, I know the thing is praised as the best thing since sliced bread, but did anyone else here find that to be just about the most overrated thing ever? I mean, it looks downright stunning for a SNES game, the battle system at least looks somewhat different from all the FF clones, and the out of order discovery of the plot in the first 10 hours is pretty cool, but the story itself is pretty drab once unraveled, and all characters bar Frog are pretty much entirely uninteresting and have no personality or development. Then the combat itself is pretty shit, since most of the techs available to you are absolutely worthless due to their high costs, and since your magic is restricted to one style per character there isn't a whole lot of tactical planning beyond not hitting certain enemies or using any magic on magic weak monsters and attacking in the opposite. And talk about an underwhelming final battle, Lavos can't do more than 100 damage, no wonder people can beat him within the first three minutes of the game. I guess you've got all the multiple endings, but if the one I got is anything like the general standard there is no way it'd be worthwhile. If I reviewed old games, I'd give it like a 4/10.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm 

Not the hardest fight in the game, but the Lavos I remember can dish out a whole lot more than 100 damage. Are you playing the original or the DS version?
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:00 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:

Jhen Moran's theme (the elder dragon of the land) Such an epic battle theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7iHmsjfHiQ

The music is the only reason to do that boring-ass battle... :lol: It is pretty awesome though. Sounds straight out of Conan the Barbarian or something.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm 

Have any of you played Turok: Evolution, and if you have, is it worth $10-$15? I've read very mixed things about it and seen the GC port at a retro store around here, and I'm thinking of getting it.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Three new trailers for the upcoming GTA V

I'm just getting more and more pumped for this one.

Seems like they're really doing their best to bring the series back to what it was in GTA:SA.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -and-more/

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm 

And then they'll take it all out again for the next incarnation. Still, can't wait for GTAV. Will be great seeing an updated Los Santos.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm 

Yeah I'm stoked for GTA V too.

Picked up the Undead Nightmare DLC for RDR awhile back and have been playing a lot of undead overrun. Shit's fun.

last.fm

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:27 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Not the hardest fight in the game, but the Lavos I remember can dish out a whole lot more than 100 damage. Are you playing the original or the DS version?

DS.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

DS.

I'm fairly certain the Zeal Palace Lavos' "Destruction rains from the heavens!" deals about 650-ish damage per character, even with the ultimate equipment, and the standard final boss Lavos' version deals 400 or so. And then his final form has Evil Star which does 450-ish and Grand Rock which can easily break 700. And that's not even counting the Time Devourer from the DS version.

Dunno what you're talkin' about.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 pm 

I got both Soul Sacrifice and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon this week. Soul Sacrifice is the game I've been waiting for when it comes to my Vita, the lore is twisted and really interesting, the graphics are really impressive for a handheld game, and the combat is ridiculously addictive. I've been playing it every chance I get, I can tell I'm going to put a shit load of hours into it.

Blood Dragon is honestly a love letter to 80's action films and science fiction. Rex Powercolt is the new Duke Nukem, he's incredibly badass and has so many great yet cheesy one-liners. The gameplay is identical to Far Cry 3, but somehow its just loads more fun to play. There's not quite as much content as FC3 either, but what's available fits well into the cyber-futuristic-post-apocalypse-2007 atmosphere and I love every bit of it. Anybody thinking about getting Blood Dragon should do it, it's pretty much the best $15 I've spent in a long time.

Also, there's neon-colored Dinosaurs that shoot lasers from their fucking eyes. 'Nuff said.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:25 pm 

I'm playing Rage again because the wingstick is FTW.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Three new trailers for the upcoming GTA V

I'm just getting more and more pumped for this one.

Seems like they're really doing their best to bring the series back to what it was in GTA:SA.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -and-more/

That list of things sounds amazing. September can't come fast enough.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:45 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I'm fairly certain the Zeal Palace Lavos' "Destruction rains from the heavens!" deals about 650-ish damage per character, even with the ultimate equipment, and the standard final boss Lavos' version deals 400 or so. And then his final form has Evil Star which does 450-ish and Grand Rock which can easily break 700. And that's not even counting the Time Devourer from the DS version.

Dunno what you're talkin' about.

I must have gotten really lucky because I got none of that. Hell I didn't even need to heal against his final form.

Also GTAV is sounding cool, I'm slow to accept change so the three characters thing is a tad concerning, as is the continued existence of a god damn picture phone, but it seems like they're set on fixing all the tedious problems GTAIV had.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am 

Quote:
Hell I didn't even need to heal against his final form.

Huh.... WTF? That's just not possible.

Quote:
So I finished Chrono Trigger for the first time last night, I know the thing is praised as the best thing since sliced bread, but did anyone else here find that to be just about the most overrated thing ever?

It's overrated, but not nearly as much as other games, since it's actually a pretty good game.

Quote:
but the story itself is pretty drab once unraveled, and all characters bar Frog are pretty much entirely uninteresting and have no personality or development.

What did you expect from a 16-bit RPG? It's not that good, no, but it's still better than most modern jRPGs...

Quote:
And talk about an underwhelming final battle, Lavos can't do more than 100 damage,

Impossible.
Quote:
no wonder people can beat him within the first three minutes of the game.

....In New Game+. :durr:
Quote:
If I reviewed old games, I'd give it like a 4/10.

:lol: That's preposterous.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
Blood Dragon is honestly a love letter to 80's action films and science fiction. Rex Powercolt is the new Duke Nukem, he's incredibly badass and has so many great yet cheesy one-liners. The gameplay is identical to Far Cry 3, but somehow its just loads more fun to play. There's not quite as much content as FC3 either, but what's available fits well into the cyber-futuristic-post-apocalypse-2007 atmosphere and I love every bit of it. Anybody thinking about getting Blood Dragon should do it, it's pretty much the best $15 I've spent in a long time.

Also, there's neon-colored Dinosaurs that shoot lasers from their fucking eyes. 'Nuff said.

I'm not super enamored of the actual game so far, but the soundtrack is by fucking POWER GLOVE so I'm more than happy with my purchase.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:51 pm 

Not liking Chrono Trigger should be some kind of crime against humanity.

Fire Emblem is awesome. Haven't put as much time into it as I would like, hoping to do so over this weekend. Although losing soldiers sucks so much, I tend to reload.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Fire Emblem is awesome. Haven't put as much time into it as I would like, hoping to do so over this weekend. Although losing soldiers sucks so much, I tend to reload.

I went with casual mode for my ongoing first playthrough for this reason, but jacked the difficulty up to hard to compensate. Makes for challenging fights without the frustrating tenth restart because clerics can't bruise their knees.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm 

Ugh, I just spent one hour, despite walkthrough videos, desperately trying to find out which one of the 40 collectible Book Of The Dead pages I missed in Darksiders 2. Of course it was one of the super obvious ones :grr:

Now that's something they could have improved: Including any hint/indicator at all which page you might be missing. My OCD drives me crazy over this kind of shit.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Have any of you played Turok: Evolution, and if you have, is it worth $10-$15? I've read very mixed things about it and seen the GC port at a retro store around here, and I'm thinking of getting it.

It's alright because of later levels that have much better weapons, but it genuinely gets quite difficult towards the end, if you enjoy a laborious challenge. There's a lot of trial and error, battle tactics, and mid-level puzzle solving that makes it stick out from your regular FPS, there's also hidden items and secret sections that make back tracking and time wasting rewarding. It's by no means a classic and you won't find much re-playability but I think it's worth having in a gamecube collection.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:
The music is the only reason to do that boring-ass battle... :lol: It is pretty awesome though. Sounds straight out of Conan the Barbarian or something.

Exactly. Some of the best items are Jhen Moran items but the battle sucks. But you bear with it to listen to this music. They just made it too time consuming with chores and not combat gameplay. Fall off the boat, take forever to get back on. Gather ballista ammo. Gather cannon balls.

Final showdown, mash your strongest attacks and heal.

Dandelo wrote:
Not liking Chrono Trigger should be some kind of crime against humanity.

The 3DS is really being awesome lately. Soul Hackers is a pretty good dungeon crawler, although it's cyberpunk so replace dungeons with like, buildings and stuff.

Fire Emblem just reminds me so much of Final Fantasy Tactics it's awesome.

And Chrono Trigger is one of the greats. What I love about the game is how much it just adds to the story and how opposite of linear it is. The Last Story and FFXIII is a straight line. Early Final Fantasy is a flat plane where you explore the world some. Chrono Trigger, not only do you explore the world, but you explore it in different references of time.

Also, there aren't many cliches and it catches you off guard. Who would think a frog to be an honorable knight? Frog looks like a joke character. But he's awesome.

Magus being the bad guy that he is but when you learn about his past.......well we know how that awesome that part of the game is. My favorite time frame of the whole game.

Schala's my favorite though. A minor character with one of the most important pivotal roles in the game.

They just don't make plots this good anymore.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
Hell I didn't even need to heal against his final form.

Huh.... WTF? That's just not possible.

The three core stage took like four hits on each of the weaker parts, and the third part would just sit there doing nothing until it healed the others.

Quote:
Quote:
but the story itself is pretty drab once unraveled, and all characters bar Frog are pretty much entirely uninteresting and have no personality or development.

What did you expect from a 16-bit RPG? It's not that good, no, but it's still better than most modern jRPGs...

Possibly, I haven't played a jRPG in years since they were able to make them look as anime like as they wanted, I always hated that look. The story isn't half as good as any of the SNES through PS1 FF stories, and usually the plot and character arcs were the best thing about 16-bit RPGs, I didn't find that so this time.

Quote:
Quote:
And talk about an underwhelming final battle, Lavos can't do more than 100 damage,

Impossible.

Well maybe one or two hit me for 200-300, but most were in the 80 point region. Certainly nothing that sent me desperately running to heal like the ones described earlier. Following on after the battles at the end of the Black Omen which had plenty of reduce to 1 attacks, it was a drastic swing.

Quote:
Quote:
no wonder people can beat him within the first three minutes of the game.

....In New Game+. :durr:

Obviously I meant in New Game+ :durr:

Quote:
Quote:
If I reviewed old games, I'd give it like a 4/10.

:lol: That's preposterous.

Just calling it how I saw it. I tend to not like rating older games that I haven't played before, since nostalgia seems to be an aspect which keeps them relevant over time, at least for me.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:15 am 

I don't think it's nostalgia for me. Much like yourself, I only played Chrono Trigger on DS for the first time, then I double dipped when it made it's way to the VC after. It became one of my favourite games. I knew of it, but being a European, I never experienced it before this. I love the plot.

Nochielo wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

I went with casual mode for my ongoing first playthrough for this reason, but jacked the difficulty up to hard to compensate. Makes for challenging fights without the frustrating tenth restart because clerics can't bruise their knees.

I'm playing on Normal mode, Classic. As you say, restarts are frequent. I lost Stahl, but after that I've been 'no man left behind' in my attitude. This game has been amazing so far, and it just seems to be opening up quite alot, I just got the relationships mechanic unlocked.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:03 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Obviously I meant in New Game+ :durr:

Uh... but why bother mentioning it then? Obviously, if you can beat Lavos at the end of the game, you can do it again at the beginning with your end-game level characters... That would be the same in any game with an new game+ feature (assuming NG+ doesn't increase difficulty), without regards to how hard the boss is.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:54 pm 

Ok, that one might be my fault, I thought NG+ didn't carry over levels just equipment and skills.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 pm 

I am currently installing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. I've heard many great stories about the original game but I never got around to play it. From what I understand this edition has many improvements over the original, so that's why I'm choosing to play the EE.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:50 am 

A little while ago, I played Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time with a mod that used the second game's engine. Worked really well, and from what I've read, it's actually preferable to the Enhanced Edition.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
A little while ago, I played Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time with a mod that used the second game's engine. Worked really well, and from what I've read, it's actually preferable to the Enhanced Edition.

I been looking for this game, I wish it was on steam, because I would have it by now.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:11 am 

Did anyone ever played Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2 on the SNES?
One of the games that marked my childhood, and my loyalty to DBZ. The gameplay is somewhat slow, but the story and the character selection is great. I mean, where else do you get to play with Bojack and Zangya????

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:15 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I been looking for this game, I wish it was on steam, because I would have it by now.

Well, I got it on eBay. In a nice 4-in-one set. Contains both games and their expansions. Very nice and convenient, cheap too.

Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:48 am 

A thought that entered my mind:

On YouTube, next after "<Band X> is better than Justin Bieber" comments the most annoying thing is comments on videos for Folk/Viking Metal bands mentioning Skyrim ("Playing this while doing X in Skyrim. FUS RO DAH! xD")... *sigh*

As for gaming at large, I've given up on it. Reason being my old computer died, so I can't play whatever games I used to play... Besides, most popular genres have been uninteresting for a long time (I stopped caring about new releases sometime around 2007).

I still love Soul Calibur 2 and Pre-Skyward Sword Zelda titles. And my overly scratched Project Gotham Racing 2 for the old Xbox (game won't start :( ).

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 am 

Finished Darksiders 2. Great game, improves on almost aspect of the first part and adds a nice variety of features. Only downside is that the game got increasingly easier over the course of Death becoming increasingly mightier and collecting crazy items. The upgrading of possessed weapons is a cool feature, but if your scythes have the ability to freeze enemies and generate health on hit and you figure out that there's a combination of attacks that's piss easy and shreds all types of enemies with ease, the combat becomes kind of a joke. This ultimately resulted in the final boss (!) being easier than most of the other bosses I encountered. There should have been more enemies like the
Spoiler: show
Construct Hulk or the Guardian,
who was really well conceived and much more interesting to figure out than the usual "attack/dodge" which was all that was required for most enemies.

Make sure to play this game on hard. I should have, but I'm a pussy.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

It's on GOG.

EDIT: Seems they also have a guide on how to combine the two games with a bunch of fixes and mods: http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gam ... rom_gogcom

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:12 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Did anyone ever played Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2 on the SNES?
One of the games that marked my childhood, and my loyalty to DBZ. The gameplay is somewhat slow, but the story and the character selection is great. I mean, where else do you get to play with Bojack and Zangya????

I used to play that lots with friends. Which is the only way you can play it cause you have to all agree on no-nos cause the game gets very unbalanced and cheap without them. Like early Street Fighter games where you have to all agree on no hitting then immediately throwing, since that was inescapable. By Street Fighter 3, they realized they have to negate that and now all fighting games have a throw tech move.

Edit: Ironically Dragon Ball Z 2 on the SNES has throw escapes but everything else about the game makes it so easy to be cheap.

Also, God of War Ascension sucks. Don't anyone get it. I only got it cause it came free with my new PS3. Less than average controls and stupid parts where you can't see what's going on cause the camera moves around trying to be cinematic.

God of War 1 I actually liked. 2 was OK. But yeah by now the franchise is being milked with sloppy games

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:50 pm 

As I recently finished playing Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden on the original Playstation it seems fit to post this:

More Super Robot Wars titles should get English translations. These games are pinnacle of awesome and knowing the story makes the whole gameplay experience SOOOOO much better than just going through walls of kanji. I hope Aeon Genesis releases their translation of Super Robot Wars Alpha soon.

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:08 pm 

Does anybody know if Majora's Mask 3DS actually will be released? I keep hearing "Yes" and "No", so I don't know what to think anymore. D:

were they hot?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 pm 

Nintendo gave an ambiguous answer, so definitely a "maybe" or even "we haven't announced it yet". ;)

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 pm 

Speaking of 3DS, I am debating getting an XL this summer, so would anyone who has one say it's worth getting? I have a Vita, which I love, but really was considering a 3DS for Pokemon, Zelda and Monster Hunter.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm 

So, Shadow of the Eternals. Crowd-funded "spiritual sequel" to Eternal Darkness. What do you think?

I really want this to be awesome, and it looks quite good for now, but... I'm not sure how far I would trust Silicon Knights (or Precursor Games, whatever they want to call themselves now) at this point. Their track record after the Gamecube era has been fairly disastrous. Also, $1.5 million is an enormous sum to ask for in the context of a crowd-funded game (maybe the largest goal ever?), and that's not even for the complete game. The fact that they're not using a third-party crowd-funding site isn't exactly a confidence booster either, though admittedly there are big problems for international backing on Kickstarter, and I suppose it allows them to save money from the third-party site's cut. In short, I suppose I'm cautiously optimistic but remain a bit skeptical... still very tempted to back for the whole season already though.

I'm puzzled by the Eternal Darkness license situation. They're calling it a "spiritual sequel" so I assume they don't have the rights to the license (Nintendo owns it as far as I know), but still in that IGN preview the level is the exact same church as in Eternal Darkness, and clearly the Tome of Eternal Darkness is in there too (though it might not be called that). The game's coming it on Wii U so obviously Nintendo is involved somehow... so why isn't it just Eternal Darkness 2? Weird.

Taking a look at the "cast" page, the last two silhouettes look familiar. ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 940  Next