Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 pm 

The new Dillinger Escape Plan record has been recorded, and is just waiting to be released.

I am personally really exited for this record, as I really liked the last one.

There is also rumored to be both violin and acoustic guitar on the new record, something I really wonder how will turn out.

Any one else exited about this record?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:41 am 

I haven't honestly cared about anything since Calculating Infinity. Irony is a Dead Scene was pretty decent. But I don't care much for Greg as a vocalist and their ventures into NIN material and other dumbshit. Out of what the last 3 albums... I think there are a handful of songs that I enjoyed and out of that the only one I remember is Sunshine the Werewolf..which was originally titled 50v Phantom(your band sucks)

Demitri was just so much better. Completely and totally manic.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:06 am 

Dimitri was great, but I prefer Greg as he is more versatile. I originally didn't care for Greg myself, but one day I just put Option Paralysis on and it clicked. Great record, only 2 songs that go into "popish" territory, and the rest of the record is just insane. A band that has just grown and grown on me. I don't care much for the first one with Greg, which Sunshine the Werewolf is on, as the vocals sound a little too "metalcorish", the songs are overlong, and the production is very treble heavy, something that is not easy on the ears, when it comes to so intense music.

You should try to spin OP again, maybe it will click.

As for Irony, that is great EP, some of Patton's best vocal work if you ask me. To bad the EP has so bad production. Ben Weinman actually said in a Interview a while back that he and Patton are in the "process" of putting something together.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:03 pm 

Yeah, Calculating Infinity and the early EPs are all I really need from this band.

ToeCutter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:14 am 

Speaking of Dimitri what is going on with that band Argonauts with him and Dave Witte? I remember them putting out a killer song a couple years back after they got together and were recording an album. And thats the last ive heard of them since, Was really looking forward to that band.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70587&hilit=dillinger heres an old thread i remember posting about DEP.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am 

Well they just revealed the album title and artwork.

Don't know what to think about the title, but I really like the album art. Very simple, stripped down... The quill-pen artwork, is really a breath of fresh air, compared to all the PS-artwork now-a-days.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 pm 

It's not bad but I don't see what's good about it, it's just your standard rudimentary inking. In terms of simplicity I prefer the Ire Works cover and overall Option Paralysis still has their best art to date. Regardless, what's on the disc is all I care about with this band and I hope they really change it up this time and leave the slow crawl songs at the door.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm 

Well, nothing really, it's just a feather, but it is better than all the cliches that are used now a days.

From what has been said so far they have both Acoustic Guitar, Tuba and Violin on the new album, so that's a change I guess.

OP had only 2 slowish songs, so one can't really say that's much...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

What I mean is I want One of Us is the Killer to be relentless from start to finish. I felt the slow songs on OP, while good, were wasted opportunities to do something drastically different. It's mostly wishful thinking on my part because it wont be like that, in truth I imagine it'll be a non-glitch, stripped down version of Ire Works although I don't think we'll get any songs that sound like Black Bubblegum.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 pm 

693 wrote:
Dimitri was great, but I prefer Greg as he is more versatile.

You should try to spin OP again, maybe it will click.

his 'versatility' is what I fucking hate. also his normal screaming voice is pretty weak. I saw them live close to after they got him in the band while it was a great show and he put on a good performance. I saw them with Dimitri and goddamn it was fucking beyond better... all across the board.

it won't ever 'click' nothing ever done once i've decided it's shit. It's rare.. I mean like once in a 1000 years it happens where I might change my opinion from 'god this sucks' to 'this is actually pretty good' It's pretty easy for me to go the other way though.

To ToeCutter, Argonauts is dead and I didn't think it was all that great. Dimitri's blew his fucking vocals out.

Totally agree with Numerator_41. when I heard Under the Running Board... i was fucking floored. got their self titled ep after that and waited for the full length that was mindblowing as well. and then frrrrrrrrrrttt

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 pm 

Oh on a side not if anyone misses how DEP used to sound they might want to check out Yog from Switzerland.

literally sounds like they took early DEP songs and rearranged them. And they don't deny that fact, look at the song titles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbgaemLV54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3lP8TWzf4
http://youtu.be/IwoHQ7MjHG8

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Oh on a side not if anyone misses how DEP used to sound they might want to check out Yog from Switzerland.

literally sounds like they took early DEP songs and rearranged them. And they don't deny that fact, look at the song titles...

That was ridiculous. they should have instead tried to make something original...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:35 am 

Should give it a look, I enjoyed Miss Machine a fair bit and they were pretty enjoyable live back then, although the last 8 or so years I haven't really bothered with them. Re: greg v dmitri I'd reckon that Greg's probably a better vocalist but Dmitri had better material to work with; Machine is good but it's certainly not Infinity or Running Board.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 am 

693 wrote:
That was ridiculous. they should have instead tried to make something original...

I think it's a case of flattery cause going by the song titles you can see it's not that they are hiding that they love some old DEP. Their older material isn't ass dillinger-y and then on the follow up they made sure it wsa more so. I take it that they didn't like DEP's new direction either and was filling the void in their hearts.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:09 pm 

They just released a song from the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vPMKObsjA

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:38 pm 

They released it 4 days ago, so it hardly qualifies as "just".

Also, preorder bundles are available in case someone missed that.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm 

693 wrote:
They released a song from the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vPMKObsjA
Reminds me of We Are The Storm. Seems like they're reverting back to more sporadic drumming and tempo changes, although it's hard to assess based off one song.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:37 am 

yentass wrote:
They released it 4 days ago, so it hardly qualifies as "just".

Also, preorder bundles are available in case someone missed that.

Well I don't see how that matters. No one had posted it.

The song is really dillinger, but the mix and master is pretty different compared to their last few albums.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 pm 

Pretty sweet songs, the vocals have more variety than usual. Still, I hope they have some songs with cleans like Gold Teeth on a Bum.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 pm 

Listening to the samples I'm more inclined to say I won't enjoy the entirety. There are some gems there, track 4 and track 8 I think, those seem different yet appropriate but I think the band has excelled past the little variety Greg Puciato can offer.

Bob_Deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm 

I agree with the pro-Dimitri crowd, I do think Greg is perhaps a better vocalist but the early violence hasn't really been in this band since the switch. Haven't cared too much about them since Miss Machine, which was the first subtle let down from this group.

About the artwork, kind of sick of any "blood" looking drips on album covers but I like the idea of going simple but this reminds me of a typical metal-hardcore band layout. Without the "dripping" it would be better I think. At least they aren't using another rip-off of Converge art that a thousand bands are going for these days.

Listening to the preview, I might DL first to see if I can get into it. Not exactly excited for this however.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 pm 

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=hQZjxqY_ ... QZjxqY_-aA

New song and video. Pretty heavy. I really like it, it is different, but still pretty much Dillinger...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm 

Love The Dillinger Escape Plan. Miss Machine is fantastic and I'll be scooping this one up as well.

Obligatory Last FM Link

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm 

Well that was better than expected and the music video was interesting. The use of electric cello? and accompanying vocals is easily my favourite part. Nice to see them put a effort in for a first cut as Mona Lisa was a rather dull performance video.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 am 

Well I personally liked the Farewell Mona Lisa video, but this new video is clearly something completely different both visually and budget vise. But it really got me pumped for the album, so it clearly did it's job. The song is also more intresting than Prancer. But from the samples from the album. It sounds like many of the other songs are way more interesting than these two. So I am really looking forward to this one.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:20 pm 

Haven't listened to them in years a I didn't enjoy them. Just tried it again and the vocals are not my cup of tea at all. I had to turn it off after only a few seconds. Just reminds me of Bring me the Horizon and those types too much.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Haven't listened to them in years a I didn't enjoy them. Just tried it again and the vocals are not my cup of tea at all. I had to turn it off after only a few seconds. Just reminds me of Bring me the Horizon and those types too much.

Are you serious, or are just throwing names around? Because you clearly have no Idea what you are talking about.

Disinterested Handjob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:32 am 

That video has quite the live action version of a Tool clip thing going on.

http://disinterestedhandjob.bandcamp.com

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 am 

Yet another new song up.

I can almost tell there's going to be more variety on here than Option Paralysis, although this song isn't as interesting or different
as When I Lost My Bet, it's okay as the obligatory crooning mid-tempo number.. I just don't find the chorus not as catchy as others.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:29 am 

I really liked the song. Really weird track really.

I must admit that I have just heard the new album. It's got a lot of variery. It doesn't sound like anything they have done before, but still manages to sound like them. There are no mainstream poppy-moments and there are no short, fast and sceamy songs. The songs are longer and they are darker inn a way. There are probably no hit songs on this album. But there is not any filler either. Takes a few spins to digest, as some of the stuff is really different and there is a lot of stuff going on in the mix. There are also some slower doomier riffs on this one. Do not expect to hear something they have done before at all. Actually don't expect anything. The mix is also extremely different.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 pm 

The album rules. Lots of crazy drumming, melodic and strong cleans, insane screaming, dissonant fuckery. It's pretty short to boot, just how I prefer this kind of thing.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 pm 

the cleans really kill it for me.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:08 pm 

I was actually really into Prancer until about the fifty second mark...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 am 

Some of the tracks actually give me a Gorguts feeling... Reminded me sort of weird mix beetween Obscura, Calculating Infinity and I don't know Angel Dust, maybe?!!! Great album anyway...

All the songs are streaming on Youtube... I really like this song:

Reply to topic