Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:01 pm 

That's tough man. Damn this crisis and it's mass sacking. Let's see it from the bright side, we're not living in Spain just yet. Disclaimer: I have nothing against Spain, but the job market there seems to be abysmal right now.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm 

Wasn't there a hip hop/rap thread on here somewhere? I can't seem to find it, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. All I found was a favourite album thread, but that isn't it.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 pm 

There was a plane crash in Afghanistan

My condolences go out to the victim's families and loved ones who are affected by this tragedy.

Also, to all of College/University students who have done this before: does taking a year off before starting college (also known a "Gap Year") really help?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 pm 

Perhaps it's because I'm an optimistic australian, but if you've got 7 months to find a job.. That's not bad at all man. There's good people and good times to be had at most jobs. And you've got seven months to think about what you want to do next, which is super cool.

Off topic: but trying Cathedral again, "Tower of Silence" or whatever it is. For some reason I didn't want to shit on the song when dudes in the thread are enjoying it so much, but holy balls is it awful. Like, extremely so! The vocals are painfully average, it drags like a person stuck under a truck, the riffs are really boring? Really, really boring. 2/10 I've given this band numerous chances and they just continue to disappoint.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Also, to all of College/University students who have done this before: does taking a year off before starting college (also known a "Gap Year") really help?

I took some time off before starting college, then I dropped out cause I didn't want to do it anymore. That was when I was around 18/19 now I'm 26 and trying to go back to school but I can only take 1-2 online classes at a time cause I don't have the time or energy to do more. Also my wife did the same and also dropped out after a bit then about 3 years ago she went back full time and is working on her bachelors degree currently. She hates it and always says she wishes she had just gone and done it right away, I kind feel the same way cause right now I'm the only income for our house.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:11 pm 

caspian wrote:
Off topic: but trying Cathedral again, "Tower of Silence" ... holy balls is it awful.

You are not wrong.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 pm 

It's a good song, pfffff. Hater. Go back to your little Conan baby!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm 

Cathedral hate? Durr gunna be sum sorry mofos if dis goes on.

Obligatory Last FM Link

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
If you truly feel like you will be able to gain a lot from the time off and develop as a person (or, you need time to prepare yourself financially), then go for it. Otherwise, I would start right after high school. Opportunity cost, my friend. Plus, 3 months is plenty of time to recuperate and prepare for college, IMO. Depending on your major, you may find college to be much more relaxed than high school anyway, so it won't be much of a burden.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

Apply regardless. It can be hard to get accepted and there's no real reason to wait. You could get picked up right away. If you don't get accepted, go to community college and start on your GE's. Those can be really irritating if you wait on them.

Metantoine wrote:
It's a good song, pfffff.

oop. my mistake.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 pm 

Veracs wrote:
They need to beat beaten up for performing their moves at a show that is geared for their moves? You're also making a strawman that everyone that dances is violent. Whatever Tony probably was in there and picked up change during Xibalba's set anyway.

It would be totally cool if they just kept it in the pit, but having some idiot flailing into me doing the windmill or some dude attempting to drop kick people standing in the crowd is downright annoying. Good show regardless, Nails absolutely killed it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm 

oh hey. Sorry to hear about your balls, dystopia4. :(

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:54 pm 

It was a bit of a buzzkill, but at least he didn't get me that hard. Tried to punch him back, but he got away (plus I was a bit preoccupied with the fact my balls had just been punched).

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:14 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
[Getting punched in the balls] was a bit of a buzzkill, but at least he didn't get me that hard.

hurrr hur hur hurrrrrr
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:17 am 

Necroticism was supposed to join us but he was too broke so we only smoked weed with an apple in his company instead. Here's a picture of Dystopia4 and Necro:
Spoiler: show

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 am 

That sucks. Necro strikes me as the type of guy who, if he were there, would hardcore dance just to mock them, and end up doing a better job since it might actually be funny.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 am 

He has the voice of an angel, though.

Obligatory Last FM Link

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 am 

I gave Nails most recent album a listen earlier today, pretty savage stuff.

last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 am 

All three of the last statements have been very accurate.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 am 

BastardHead wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
[Getting punched in the balls] was a bit of a buzzkill, but at least he didn't get me that hard.

hurrr hur hur hurrrrrr

:lol: Kinda walked into that one. The Spongebob picture is still a lot less ridiculous than the actual one. First time smoking out of an apple, worked better than I thought it would. While we were smoking some random black guy walked by and pulled like a 4 gram nug out of his pocket and offered to sell us some.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:10 am 

So I got back from Hatchet/Blackguard/Jeff Loomis/Soilwork a hour or so ago at a small bar venue. Managed to get a quick handshake with Loomis as he walked by. Feels good man.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Necroticism was supposed to join us but he was too broke so we only smoked weed with an apple in his company instead.

lol my friend did that one time and I thought it was just him being a drunken retard, didn't know people actually smoked weed in apples

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 am 

The worst I think I've smoked out of is my friends and I made a makeshift pipe out of a PBR can once.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:06 am 

I have just received some MP3 files for a review. Some have a quality of 20 kpbs. I wonder, whether I should feel insulted.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 am 

Marag wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Necroticism was supposed to join us but he was too broke so we only smoked weed with an apple in his company instead.

lol my friend did that one time and I thought it was just him being a drunken retard, didn't know people actually smoked weed in apples

Man, I've smoked weed out of a banana (smoked like a chillum). And an orange... And a lime... And a lemon... And a cucumber... And a potato... And, yes, an apple.

It imparts a wee bit of flavour onto the smoke-- that is, until the fruit/vegetable stop smelling like fruit/vegetable.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
The worst I think I've smoked out of is my friends and I made a makeshift pipe out of a PBR can once.

I made a makeshift pipe out of a medical inhaler once.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 am 

I've smoked out of a coconut bong before. Oh man. It even tasted coconutty.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
I have just received some MP3 files for a review. Some have a quality of 20 kpbs. I wonder, whether I should feel insulted.

Ha! Black metal? Perhaps they literally take lo-fi very seriously then.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 am 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Also, to all of College/University students who have done this before: does taking a year off before starting college (also known a "Gap Year") really ghelp?

Help with what? Growing the ball hairs to an acceptable twist and gel length? Take a year off and work a shitty job for a few months, you'll be running to the nearest uni in no time. And don't take English lit or philosophy or gender studies or some other useless crap as your major, unless you want to continue working shitty jobs.

And yeah, Cathedral, second album is very good, first and third albums have their moments, Soul Sacrifice EP is the best, the rest bore me to tears. Also, I blame Cathedral/Lee Dorrian and Rise Above Records for all the shit garbage crap stoner "doom" that we are being flooded with these days, even that dastardly Conan is a result of Lee Poorian (ha!).

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:01 am 

waiguoren wrote:
And don't take English lit or philosophy or gender studies or some other useless crap as your major, unless you want to continue working shitty jobs.

Depends on the local job market.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 am 

I doubt many employers in the States are specifically looking for people with BA Philosophy degrees though. Best bet (if you're going to choose a major that, to be blunt, has no practical use) is get an education degree along with it. Then again, what does a simple boy from Nebraska like me know? Nuffin', dat's wat.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:54 am 

I'm pretty much in agreement with waiguoren here and I'm an English Literature major. The best part is you'll see all your friends who got more practical degrees waltz into great jobs before they've even graduated whilst you will be reduced to stealing from bins to provide for yourself. Tellingly, I'm now going into teaching, too.

Also, I think a gap year is basically only useful for saving up money; it doesn't really prepare you for university any better. But let's face it; the first year of university is generally a piece of piss. You'll spend most of your time drunk and do very little studying. Who needs preparation for that?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am 

RE: College

Don't wait, take it seriously, and crank that shit out and be done with it. I dropped out because I wanted to tour more and just wasn't "into it" anymore and I wish to hell I would have just stuck with it... I want to graduate but it will be a royal pain in the ass to do so now which means I probably won't ever go back... and I still have student loans to pay out the ass. UGH.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
ITellingly, I'm now going into teaching, too.

PGCE? Anyhurdles, if you're a licensed teacher you could work in international schools in places like Hong Kong, and Hong Kong, and that other Jackie Chan-worshipping city near Macau.

Behold! I just read one of the best lines in a review, like, ever:

Quote:
When I first bought this album, I almost listened to the entire CD the first day.

I thought I was fucking lazy for not wanting to get off my bed to make chocolate Nesquik, this guy couldn't even take the time off from being in a coma to listen to a 34 minute album! I mean, I can't listen to the album in one sitting either because it's crap, but he actually likes the damn thing. I want to shake this lazy man's hand, simply for outdoing me, but I suspect the hand would be incredibly limp. And cold. And clammy with cobwebs between the fingers.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... Atheist666

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:33 am 

Unless you're ultra-gifted and/or willing to do a hell of a lot of studying on your own during your "gap year" you'll probably find that you will get extremely rusty and forget a lot of useful stuff. Plus, college costs so damn much that unless you spend your gap year being Bill Gates you're not likely to save up enough money to really alter your financial situation all that much when you do go back to school.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:39 am 

school was cool. don't take a year off - just keep moving. Hell, if you're planning on doing master's or doctorate programs - don't take a year off - you'll end up pissing around for too long. Of course, this ended up working out for me in some regards (working for myself, from home, doing research and freelance work at the age of 25, making some decent money, ain't bad), but I think I'm a fairly big exception to the rule.

With that said - all of my engineering friends can suck dicks - the only true majors are philosophy, political science, theology, and literature. Naturally, I walked out with these four majors (with highlights in semiotics and linguistics! D: uselessness!), and sure, I don't have a ballin pay like they do - but I can also hold conversations about literally anything, and don't have to resort to reading the Economist/listening to NPR to have half-assed political/philosophical opinions. I dig that.

This post sounded too much like braggin - so I'm also an asshole. Whatever.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am 

i'm not recommending a "gap year" either. It's not like you're old/tired, if you have the money and the will to start college now, do it. Also, choose your major wisely like Acro said. I liked my 2 years of history but teaching will actually give me a job (as I like to buy things with money). Talking of school, today is my last seminar about the internship and I'm off for the summer!!!!!!!!

Social sciences for the win, Froggy. Anyway, you were destined to study these with your looks! We should do a MA real life symposium one day lol. "And now, PhilosophicalFrog will talk about the influence of James Joyce on modern harsh noise music"

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 am 

Let me add to the "don't do a gap year" train. I took several months off right after high school to go through boot camp and army job training and when I came back home 7 months later I pretty much forget all my math. It took another 3 months to latch on to the next quarter, which meant I started college in spring of 2009 (late March / early April). If you have the money then definitely do it immediately since the drive for education is still there, whereas it's submerged by the trials of life later on. I've got one year left so I've been pushing myself hard to get this crap over with.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I pretty much forget all my math

Yeah, exactly. I went to a community college for two years, got an AS, then took a year off before finishing up at a 4-year school. During that year in the real world I pretty much forgot what non-money numbers were.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 am 

I'm taking a year off before I enroll in a graduate program, mainly to study for the entrance exams and do some shit I always wanted to do and get internships to get more experience, etc.

Like Acrobat said, it sucks going into a major that has a bust turnout: one of my roommates with a BA he hasn't even earned yet scored a job that'll pay him $70,000 a year, to start. Thankfully a lot of my other buddies are all in pre-med so they'll have to do countless hours of on-site interning and med school before they get their awesome jobs. :lol:

Also, is Beyond Creation's The Aura as good as everyone says it is?

Obligatory Last FM Link

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 518  Next