Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 am 

Damn so okay. I've been listening to almost nothing but Oaks of Bethel since I got that rec from ThePoop.
Is there anything as brilliant as this band?!

Black metal blasting, drone atmosphere, endless songs. My god it's perfect.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
EDIT. Wow, I just listened to that Sad track, I'm really liking this! Thanks for posting, Sick6Six.

No problem... ignoring some of the previous comments I will point out that all 3 bands Sad has done splits with are also really good, especially Mourning Forest. Sapthuran's latest album is pretty awesome too. 1 man band with a more minimal style, but he has some incredible riffs. The Sad/Mourning Forest split was right up there with my favorite releases of last year. Here's a few more badass songs:

This is probably one of my favorite Sad songs

Mourning Forest song from their first album

Sapthuran

And there's also Warwulf

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:33 am 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Damn so okay. I've been listening to almost nothing but Oaks of Bethel since I got that rec from ThePoop.

Essentially, it seems to be like a better version of Wrath of the Weak. Still, there's not much good in this in my opinion.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 am 

Just FYI, ahmedssmb took an open-ended vacation.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Just FYI, ahmedssmb took an open-ended vacation.

I was waiting for that! He deserves some time off. :beer:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:

Oaks of Bethel are a side project of Njiqahdda. You could try that band as well as at least Oaks of Bethel's debut sounded like a slight variation on Njiqahdda to me anyway. I can't claim expertise on either band, really, as their ludicrously prolific output is much more than I care to keep up with. Silly, I realize, but bands that release stuff at this sort of rate are a pet peeve of mine even if they strike gold sometimes.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm 

I came here to thank someone for mentioning Funeral Throne, but as I searched it, nothing came up except for mentions of the band in threads like "best British black metal" and "last album purchased". I definitely recommend it. Another British band, a little similar sounding, which could be posted in the nobodies thread, is Ninkharsag. So far they've only released one demo, but they have tracks from their upcoming album on youtube. It's slightly reminiscent of some Ukrainian black metal bands, such as Astrofaes and Blood of Kingu.

xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:33 pm 

Looking for black metal that is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath's Ozzy years or has Iommi-esque riffs.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm 

OK, first of all, that Sad - With the Moon's Final Sign song was awesome, would definitely want more stuff like that. Second, I was wondering if anyone had any stuff that's black metal with awesome synths like in these Depressive Silence songs 1, 2. I like how sometimes the synths sound "flute-like", I'd also prefer it to not be like the traditional Tolkien inspired, Summoning-esque bands. Thanks.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 pm 

xGeneralSureMan wrote:
Looking for black metal that is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath's Ozzy years or has Iommi-esque riffs.

Check out Faustcoven and Furze.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 am 

Metantoine wrote:
xGeneralSureMan wrote:

Check out Faustcoven and Furze.

+10 for Faustcoven, amazing band. This song is pretty Black Sabbath and very awesome:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:56 am 

As much as I like Black Sabbath and black metal, I must say Faustcoven is one of the most boring bands I've come across lately. :|

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I came here to thank someone for mentioning Funeral Throne, but as I searched it, nothing came up except for mentions of the band in threads like "best British black metal" and "last album purchased". I definitely recommend it. Another British band, a little similar sounding, which could be posted in the nobodies thread, is Ninkharsag. So far they've only released one demo, but they have tracks from their upcoming album on youtube. It's slightly reminiscent of some Ukrainian black metal bands, such as Astrofaes and Blood of Kingu.

I checked out Ninkharsag and it was fun, I really liked "Liber V vel Reguli" off of the demo. I'll have to check out those Ukrainian bands to see whats up.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 am 

I recommend Blood of Kingu's debut. It's instrumental except for low chanting or prayer-like voice. Pretty intense stuff with excellent riffs.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am 

Garchomp4ever wrote:
OK, first of all, that Sad - With the Moon's Final Sign song was awesome, would definitely want more stuff like that.

Hmm I can't think of anything at the moment other than stuff I've recommended a number of times on previous posts... If you're not familiar with "Sargeist - Let The Devil In" that's a good start and their counterpart to that split, Mourning Forest

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:01 pm 

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some black metal with a strong sense of melody. Some blasting is welcome and encouraged, but I'm looking for something more predominantly mid-paced with loads of catchy riffing. The occasional folky, acoustic interlude to add some flavor is something I'm definitely seeking out. I also would be happy to trade the former with trippy, ambient moments a la BAN's "Ultima Thulee" like in The Last Journey of Ringhorn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQiDiXVgXCs (this song is pure awesome, especially starting around 2:15... sexiness). Production should be reasonable, but I'm not too picky. Basically, I'm looking for black metal with a nostalgic, ethereal, somber vibe but not overly saturated with post-rock or shoegaze influence.

I've been digging the shit out of the new Imperium Dekadenz album so maybe that will provide some more insight into what I'm seeking out?

Even if a rec might seem obvious, feel free to throw it my way cause there's a possibility I may have overlooked some of the essentials.

Cheers.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:31 pm 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some black metal with a strong sense of melody. Some blasting is welcome and encouraged, but I'm looking for something more predominantly mid-paced with loads of catchy riffing. The occasional folky, acoustic interlude to add some flavor is something I'm definitely seeking out. I also would be happy to trade the former with trippy, ambient moments a la BAN's "Ultima Thulee" like in The Last Journey of Ringhorn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQiDiXVgXCs (this song is pure awesome, especially starting around 2:15... sexiness). Production should be reasonable, but I'm not too picky. Basically, I'm looking for black metal with a nostalgic, ethereal, somber vibe but not overly saturated with post-rock or shoegaze influence.

I've been digging the shit out of the new Imperium Dekadenz album so maybe that will provide some more insight into what I'm seeking out?

Even if a rec might seem obvious, feel free to throw it my way cause there's a possibility I may have overlooked some of the essentials.

Cheers.

Probably not really what your describing, but I am fairly sure you will enjoy this all the same. Either this is Black Folk metal, or Folky Black metal. Your choice to interpret :P

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:51 pm 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Hey everyone,

Cheers.

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=4K95n9K-5c8

Enjoy.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

Thanks, CF flakes. Myrkgrav was great but drifted a little too far into folky territory. Still quite good, though. I'll have to revisit it soon.

STORMM: Excellent recommendation and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks dude! If you have any others in mind, let me know.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Thanks, CF flakes. Myrkgrav was great but drifted a little too far into folky territory. Still quite good, though. I'll have to revisit it soon.

STORMM: Excellent recommendation and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks dude! If you have any others in mind, let me know.

My pleasure mate. Ok a bit more agressive this time but a fantastic band all the same -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=HkXpwiVVYWY

Also check out the last Waldgefluster album, slower pace than above but similar to the latest Imperium Dekadanz

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 am 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Hey everyone,

For something rawer, try Cosmic Church - Absoluutin Lävistämä. Catchy, wistful riffing, not very aggressive.

For something a little more intense and with that folky stuff you craved, Belenos, especially Spicilege. It has blast beats, but it's nowhere near anything like Immortal's or Hate Forest's blastfest albums. Very catchy stuff.

For something more evil, Horna's Entvaagnas Eflos Solf Esgantaavne. It's mostly mid-paced. If you haven't listened to Horna, there's a high chance you have the wrong picture of the band. Here are some excerpts so you'll know what to expect from that album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obJHppxH7o4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmp3IgyHsEU

I'm not into that folky kind of stuff, so if that's not an absolute necessity, feel free to ask for more.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:21 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
good shit

Thanks, man. I'll have to check out Cosmic Church and Belenos when I'm off work this evening. I know and quite like Horna, though I have to confess I might be a bigger Sargeist fan xD

The more recommendations, the better! Folky stuff isn't a necessity, just a nice plus. I'd be stoked to hear something along the lines of Inquisition as well... thrashy, top-notch melodic riffs, tastefully transitioning between blasting satanic madness and slower, somber melodic passages.

STORMM - I will give your additional post it's due attention this evening as well.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:47 pm 

STORMM wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=HkXpwiVVYWY

Also check out the last Waldgefluster album, slower pace than above but similar to the latest Imperium Dekadanz

Aldaaron is pretty good, I still need to get their latest album.

Ilwhyan wrote:
For something rawer, try Cosmic Church - Absoluutin Lävistämä. Catchy, wistful riffing, not very aggressive.

I really liked the Cosmic Church song on the split with BRF, will have to check out their other stuff.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 pm 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Hey everyone,

Cheers.

Possibly Mondstille? They come to mind when you say melodic and folky with reasonable production.

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt4UcxtRIU4

STORMM wrote:

This is quite good.

Guitarpro77889
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm 

Oblivion_Gene wrote:
Hey everyone,

Cheers.

theres a whole subgenre for melodic black metal u should look into. in the meantime check these bands:

Agalloch
Aldaaron
Ancient Reign
Bane of Isildur
Catamenia
Dissection
In Vain
Thulcandra
Vinterland
Zargof

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 pm 

I'd probably add Baptism to the above list. I overlooked them for years, but the album "Morbid Wings of Sathanas" is amazing. I just picked up his last 3 albums the other day, but still haven't fully listened to the last 2. They're from Finland so that usually means they're awesome.

Guitarpro77889
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:50 am 

ye those finnish melodies are the best

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:11 am 

Baptism is indeed quite awesome. The latest album is somewhat disappointing though. I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the Chalice of Death EP, as it features a far superior version of the eponymous song compared to the full-length version.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 pm 

Thanks, everyone. All the rec's so far that I've checked out have been stellar... should keep me occupied for a while. Cheers!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:25 pm 

Ugh, I'm trying to remember the name of a band. It was a one-man band, I believe, from...Finland, I want to say, though I could be wrong. Style-wise the band is atmospheric, kind of washed out/DSBM-ish, but not exactly depressive, more dreamy and misty. From the mid-2000s, I think. Album cover was quite memorable, a black and white image depicting a robed figure wandering across a snowy mountain landscape toward a star on the horizon. I want to say this was a one-man side project of an artist who normally works with other bands. Arrrgghh

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:23 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ugh, I'm trying to remember the name of a band. It was a one-man band, I believe, from...Finland, I want to say, though I could be wrong. Style-wise the band is atmospheric, kind of washed out/DSBM-ish, but not exactly depressive, more dreamy and misty. From the mid-2000s, I think. Album cover was quite memorable, a black and white image depicting a robed figure wandering across a snowy mountain landscape toward a star on the horizon. I want to say this was a one-man side project of an artist who normally works with other bands. Arrrgghh

Not form Finlaand Under_Starmere but this was the first album that came to mind...

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Au ... ing/308834

Good album all the same.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:40 pm 

Ah, yes! Thanks, STORMM :). Riiiight, this was another project of the guy from Manipulator. Meant to check this out more and then totally forgot to. Cheers! :beer: I thought it started with an A.... and France is close to Finland... right....?.... ?????

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ah, yes! Thanks, STORMM :). Riiiight, this was another project of the guy from Manipulator. Meant to check this out more and then totally forgot to. Cheers! :beer: I thought it started with an A.... and France is close to Finland... right....?.... ?????

Haha only glad to help bro.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 am 

I'm listening to Darkspace III on youtube and it's sounding pretty awesome, there seems to be a lot more fast paced metal than ambiance so far... Normally I don't like much ambient or keys, but in bands like this it works. Anyway are I, II, and III all pretty equal or is there one in particular I should pick up first? I need to stop buying shit for awhile so I'm trying to just pick one! I recently got Paysage D'hiver - Das Tor and Winterkälte which are both awesome.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm 

Ok. So here's the thing. I really like black metal, but I'm really peculiar when it comes to what kinds of it I like, and it's very hard for me to find bands nowadays.

As much as I love Darkthrone, I hate almost everything else cut from the Transylvanian Hunger mold. There's a myriad of Darkthrone-worshipping bands out there and they mostly sound like utter shit. This is not the kind of music I want to find when searching for worthwhile black metal. Replace "Darkthrone" in the past sentences with "Burzum" and you've basically still got a true story. Burzum-worship is also not something I'm really into. Beherit worship, while often being significantly better than the two aforementioned categories, is also not really what I'm looking for.

Nedless to say, this makes it hard for me to find new bands. What I'm looking for is black metal with emphasis on great riffing coupled with the kind of atmosphere present on Mayhem's albums up to and including De Mysteriis. Now, finding bands cut out from the early Mayhem mold is a lot harder than finding bands that try to imitate Burzum or Darkthrone. I know about Svartsyn, and some of their material fits exactly into the kind of black metal I am looking for (The material from the split with Arckanum being the best example IMO). Behexen also kind of fits what I'm looking for, and so does Inquisition to an extent. I don't really know how to explain it better, but if there are any bands that play this kind of no-nonsense black metal of the Mayhem variety I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm 

If you know Behexen I'm sure you know Horna and Sargeist.
I will go to some of my other usual suspects.

Azaghal
Besatt
Blodsrit
Cirith Gorgor
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Dodsferd
Endstille
Lutomysl
Furia (Poland)
Odal
Urgehal (later)

You may know a lot of these already

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:55 pm 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:
Ok. So here's the thing. I really like black metal, but I'm really peculiar when it comes to what kinds of it I like, and it's very hard for me to find bands nowadays.

As much as I love Darkthrone, I hate almost everything else cut from the Transylvanian Hunger mold. There's a myriad of Darkthrone-worshipping bands out there and they mostly sound like utter shit. This is not the kind of music I want to find when searching for worthwhile black metal. Replace "Darkthrone" in the past sentences with "Burzum" and you've basically still got a true story. Burzum-worship is also not something I'm really into. Beherit worship, while often being significantly better than the two aforementioned categories, is also not really what I'm looking for.

Nedless to say, this makes it hard for me to find new bands. What I'm looking for is black metal with emphasis on great riffing coupled with the kind of atmosphere present on Mayhem's albums up to and including De Mysteriis. Now, finding bands cut out from the early Mayhem mold is a lot harder than finding bands that try to imitate Burzum or Darkthrone. I know about Svartsyn, and some of their material fits exactly into the kind of black metal I am looking for (The material from the split with Arckanum being the best example IMO). Behexen also kind of fits what I'm looking for, and so does Inquisition to an extent. I don't really know how to explain it better, but if there are any bands that play this kind of no-nonsense black metal of the Mayhem variety I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Horna, listen to the song Haudanusva on youtube and then the rest of the album Perimä Vihassa Ja Verikostossa! Then there's Tsjuder, Zyklon-B, 1349 to name some fairly well-known bands. If you like Burzum a little you might like White Oak, listen to the album Contouren van hen niets! A really mighty-sounding russian band called Nabaath is also awesome, all their music is free if you google it.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:34 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Azaghal

Mixed bag I'd say. Well, I guess Nemesis sort of fits, but earlier Azaghal doesn't fit at all. The melodic sections are a bit of a turnoff though, and afaik there aren't any Azaghal releases free from those. Already knew this one though, and own several of their albums.
Sick6Six wrote:
Besatt

Not really feeling this is really right. There's something about the atmosphere here that's just off. It might be the production. I dunno, not really feeling it.
Sick6Six wrote:
Blodsrit

This fits quite well, but I already know about it.
Sick6Six wrote:
Cirith Gorgor

I keep going back to this band because I really try to like it, but it still isn't clicking.
Sick6Six wrote:
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult

I have a vague memory of dismissing this band in the past. Going back to it now, I'm wondering why I did so. It clicked right away. Classic black metal cut from the Mayhem mold and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the rec. Will have to check out further.
Sick6Six wrote:
Dodsferd

Dodsferd is awesome, but not really what I'm looking for here.
Sick6Six wrote:
Endstille

This, like Blodsrit, fits quite well but I already know about it.
Sick6Six wrote:
Lutomysl

Not really sure yet. Will have to check out more.
Sick6Six wrote:
Furia (Poland)

Same as above, after listening to one song I'm leaning towards no but I'll check out some more stuff.
Sick6Six wrote:
Odal

As with lutomysl, not really sure after just a cursory listen. Will have to check out further.
Sick6Six wrote:
Urgehal (later)

Never could get into Urgehal at all. Don't know why. It just doesn't click with me.

Thanks anyways.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 pm 

@Cry_In_The_Night: Have you tried Sorcier des Glaces?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm 

Most of those bands I posted have been around for a long time so it really depends what albums you listen to. They have evolved quite a bit, especially bands like Besatt. Maybe you would like some of Lugubre's new stuff too or Zorn from Germany

Oh BTW, one of my favorite new bands is now streaming both of their albums:http://www.facebook.com/Barshasketh/app_204974879526524?ref=ts

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 231  Next