Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm 

shouvince wrote:
androdion wrote:
Requests are growing weirder with each passing day. :P

Ha, damn right! How long before someone asks for depressive humppafolk? :oh shit:

Henk, Vehemence isn't sorrowful? Are they now? It's been a while since I heard 'God was created' but they were a modern death metal with melodies.

As Ilwhyan said that melodeath is generally upbeat and slightly fast. That goes against the grain of what depressive music generally stands for.

Hm, I always found God was created to be quite sorrowful. Not in the Insomnium/Slumber/Rapture sense, but more in a hopeless "I'm a useless human being the world is horrible nobody will ever love me" kinda way. It's especially apparent in the song I linked.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm 

androdion wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:
Looks promising I will check them out! I feel like Cryptopsy is one of those bands that can't really be replicated and I want something that is obviously influenced by it mostly with the production and the bass playing. Hopefully I will be able to do it with my band but highly doubtful.

You'll like Melancholy Pessimism then, at least their debut. The following couple of albums have them pursue a more Czech route, if you know what I mean. ;) Very experimental and very tripped out. The debut, although it has some experimentalism, is more based on old school influences and doesn't have as much grind as the later ones.

PillarofModern wrote:
Uh, does ANYONE know of ANYTHING that sounds like Cryptopsy's Once Was Not? And No Gorguts answers or any bullshit lol

What does Gorguts have to do with anything?! :scratch:

Once Was Not is a drumfest really, and that's actually the main reason why I like it. I can't remember anything as frantic and skin bashingly abusing as that though. Come to think of it, I'd like to hear some answers here too. :)

I love the drumming too, but I feel as if the entire album is a guitar album. No other cryptopsy riffs are ever more unique and amazing. You can barely even hear the bass lol

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm 

Have you heard Ulcerate? Their debut album may interest you if you haven't heard it before. Still very brutal and not as atmospheric as the later ones.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm 

Syn-drom is really decent for dark, somewhat technical and crushing death metal. Judging by this song this could be one of my albums of the year. Reminds me somewhat of Immolation with the riffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXjGtk1VKw

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Syn-drom is really decent for dark, somewhat technical and crushing death metal. Judging by this song this could be one of my albums of the year. Reminds me somewhat of Immolation with the riffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXjGtk1VKw

There's a bit of Covenant in there isn't it?! Not trying to pick a fight with you but apart from the dissonant similarities I wasn't left very impressed. The drum sound in particular is pretty shitty, with the ultra clean production and overly triggered sound. Personally I think that Calm Hatchery do this kind of sound much better, albeit not as gruff and "evil". The other track "The Filth Unmasked" reminds me a bit of Mithras.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm 

No worries, everyone is entitled to their opinion. From your complaints I am surprised I didn't pick up on it as those are often complaints of mine for modern death. Maybe I need to listen carefully through headphones instead of laptop speakers...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am 

Laptop speakers suffer from a chronic lack of "boom", if you know what I mean. ;) It's too polished for my taste, especially when it tries to come out as dark and menacing.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:04 pm 

Been jamming this band RUDE all day. Total Altars of Madness worship. You guys got any recs somewhere along these lines? Doesn't have to be blatantly worshiping like these dudes but I want riff based death metal in the old style. No atmospheric, dissonant, shenanigans.

http://rudedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/track/forsaker
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Been jamming this band RUDE all day. Total Altars of Madness worship. You guys got any recs somewhere along these lines? Doesn't have to be blatantly worshiping like these dudes but I want riff based death metal in the old style. No atmospheric, dissonant, shenanigans.

http://rudedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/track/forsaker

(Mouth foams at the chance of whoring Sacred Sin once more... :drool:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czY3EPCpZVE

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm 

Rude sounds great!

You could check out Perversion. They're a death/thrash band from UAE. Here's their first EP called 'Origins of Horror'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_oXOtR ... 8D33D7FE79
http://perversion.bandcamp.com/

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 am 

I'm looking for some understated brutal death in the vein of Disgorge, Putridity, Orchidectomy. I'm tired of shitty glam-slam bands like Coprocephalic and Katalepsy. (or even the new Devourment for that matter)

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:30 am 

androdion wrote:
Sacred Sin

shouvince wrote:
Perversion

Gave both of these a quick listen this morning before coming into work and enjoyed them thoroughly, just what I was looking for! Will def be seeking out more tunes when I get home later, thanks dudes!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 am 

Based on your requirements you should most definitely check out Degial, Chapel Of Disease, Ensnared and Lantern. Lantern will be the least Morbid Angel influenced, but well worth hearing - and they have a new full length out.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:53 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Australia's Backyard Mortuary

Great stuff, excellent! I very much like Psychrist, which I think you also recommended to me, and I think this is quite similar. Thanks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:00 pm 

I thought the Backyard Mortuary album definitely suffered from a lack of focus but some moments were definitely pretty neat and showed a lot of potential.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:06 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Based on your requirements you should most definitely check out Degial, Chapel Of Disease, Ensnared and Lantern. Lantern will be the least Morbid Angel influenced, but well worth hearing - and they have a new full length out.

Don't forget Revenant from the US.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
Australia's Backyard Mortuary

Great stuff, excellent! I very much like Psychrist, which I think you also recommended to me, and I think this is quite similar. Thanks.

Yeah I did with the Psychrist, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. That album has been getting heavy rotation from me - it's quite a heavy, dark album.

My collection

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:50 am 

dontlivefastjustdie, there's another death/thrash band you could check out - Orator, from the unlikeliest of places, Bangladesh.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Orator/3540300753
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC0LfOOtaec

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:42 pm 

Looking for more music that's similar to this Demenzia song. Kind of melodic death metal with metalcore influences, prominent keyboards, and emotional/melodic choruses, preferably with both clean and harsh vocals, I think I've seen the term doom applied to this band but I don't if I can call this song doom or not. Also what style of playing is at 3:26? I want to say arpeggios but I'm not well enough into music to really tell, but I do like and I'd like to hear more.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am 

I'd like to present you Croatian death metal band True.
Interesting fact about them is that they use traditional croatian folk instrument "tamburica" alongside with regular guitars. Feel free to listen to them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQ0UWKpQZU

Tamburica is this:
http://www.yotke.hr/velike/Brac%20J1.jpg

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:11 am 

Paka01 wrote:
I'd like to present you Croatian death metal band True.
Interesting fact about them is that they use traditional croatian folk instrument "tamburica" alongside with regular guitars. Feel free to listen to them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQ0UWKpQZU

Tamburica is this:
http://www.yotke.hr/velike/Brac%20J1.jpg

Hey, that was pretty good! :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 am 

I have to recommend King Carnage to everyone who likes old school death metal in the vein of bands like Dismember. Very gritty (?), mighty death metal which flows quite nicely. Definitely recommend picking this up or listening to it here: http://badgodmusic.bandcamp.com/album/o ... d-of-flesh

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 pm 

What would you guys recommend as similar to Dawn (Ger)'s The Darkness Within?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6u1xfW6O6I

I just posted about this on the OSDM Gems thread earlier, and it's piqued my curiosity for more. I like the combination of heavy, burly meatiness - with the sort of swollen, suffocating guitars - with enough dynamics and sudden tempo changes to keep things from zoning into the boring. It'd be great to find more stuff like this, but preferably with a slight bit more technicality and sharpness in the riff-writing. Any thoughts? My brain wants to suggest Autopsy, which isn't far off, but I'm thinking along more dusty, tombish lines.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 am 

Yo Starmere!

Perhaps Drowned from Germany will come close? This demo/mini-album is well worth the coin, with deep, dark passages into the underworld, rife with sepulchral atmosphere.

Maybe give Claws a listen? Deep, dirty and cob webbed death metal.

Gonna rec the HELL outta Coffin Lust. Stripped back, mean, burly guitar tone which crushes, while still having some furious intent about it. It's a little dissimilar to your initial request, but still sort of fits the bill at the same time...

Not sure how this one will sit with you, but Desolate Shrine are worth checking out for their monstrous, all consuming presence. Very heavy and dark stuff, with enough moments of slower controlled malevolence that really shine.

One last one for now, and that's Poland's Doombringer. This is some great stuff I've been playing the hell out of. Maybe it's not exactly what you're after here though (?)... still, awesome stuff to be had.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 am 

Desolate Shrine lacks in dynamics, but it's one of the most singularly consuming and dismal bands out there. It's like a mudslide of complete, utter, suffocating darkness.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am 

I agree about the all consuming, hopeless nature of the new album, but I find that it still has enough moments of subtle undercurrents that keep it engaging. It's definitely a mood album - and a grower, one that unfolds slowly revealing more woeful moments of utter degradation. There is an awful lot going on riff-wise under that scree of HUGE guitar madness.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 am 

The newer album has more to it, certainly. I need to listen to it a little more, actually, as it seems to be much more rewarding than the debut.

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 am 

I'm looking for some brutal death metal with a huge black metal influence.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:23 am 

peterpessimism wrote:

You might try:

Execration - The Acceptance Of Zero Existence (2012)

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 pm 

Old school death metal that sounds a little modern? Stuff like Bodyfarm, Torture Division, and Bone Gnawer.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 pm 

peterpessimism wrote:

Scythe as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOYfB41-1pU

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm 

Aikanaro wrote:
Old school death metal that sounds a little modern? Stuff like Bodyfarm, Torture Division, and Bone Gnawer.

Hail of Bullets, if you don't already know them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-r78Ry3o2w

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 pm 

HeirOfNothing wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:

Hail of Bullets, if you don't already know them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-r78Ry3o2w

Good call there. One of my favorite bands is Hail Of Bullets. A similar (but far less talented) band is Blood Mortized. But hey, if you like Torture Division...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZypSLlAqHd8

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:52 pm 

Threads with war themed bands similar to Hail of Bullets and Bolt Thrower pop up fairly frequently. Just wanted to give a nod to Decaying again as an example. New album is out shortlyand is sounding pretty good judging by this song. The vocalist is very much in the vein of Van Drunnen though he utilizes a standard low growl as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pQJjdt1Ew

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Threads with war themed bands similar to Hail of Bullets and Bolt Thrower pop up fairly frequently. Just wanted to give a nod to Decaying again as an example. New album is out shortlyand is sounding pretty good judging by this song. The vocalist is very much in the vein of Van Drunnen though he utilizes a standard low growl as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pQJjdt1Ew

Thanks for the rec! I hadn't ever heard of Decaying before. Liking this a lot.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:44 pm 

I'm really looking forward to the release of Imprecation's full length which comes out later this month. The early stuff back in the early 90s was very similar to Beherit and they haven't strayed far from that sound judging by this song, just a little more death metal oriented and quite crushing. About time they released a full length. Doubt I will like it more than the early stuff though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbX4pq8vLg

Early 90 material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJeUxQTneY

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:23 am 

Yeah, Impreciation was great. I was surprised that they reformed to bring out a new album, and very delighted of course. I've listened to them since 2007 or 2008, but I never realised that they had reformed until lately.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am 

Never post here so not really responding to anything in particular, but everyone should check out this new amazing blackened death metal band Pestreiter. I picked up their album on a whim and it's one of the best mixes of death and black metal I've ever heard. Pretty tech drumming with blast beats played over double bass, a lot of aggression and just enough melody.
http://www.facebook.com/Pestreiter/app_2405167945?ref=ts

Also an old school death metal gem and one of my favorite DM albums ever. Centinex - Reborn Through Flames/Bloodhunt

UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:19 pm 

Man Must Die, quality technical death metal band with some awesome guitar playing!!! :np:

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

What is some groovy death metal in the vein of Bolt Thrower, Jungle Rot, and Toxocara about warfare/world war I/world war II/death/destruction. There is a ton, and that is the reason I'm asking. I already know about the ones I've mentioned and also Hail of Bullets.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 289  Next