* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 am 

Alhadis wrote:
TvvrAskesis wrote:
How come it is not possible (yet) to add furigana to kanji?

... the... what...?

TvvrAskesis wrote:
Even on a lot of Japanese websites the phonetics are placed behind the kanji, instead of above them

Got an example...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furigana

Example: Animetal's single 永遠の未来 (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/An ... D%A5/57250). The kanji 永遠 would normally be pronounced "eien" but the furigana indicate they use the pronounciation "towa". On the album cover you can see the kana for "to; と" and "wa; わ" above the first two kanji. But when I copy (from MS Word) the title, including the furigana, and try to enter it to MA it comes out like this: 永(と)遠(わ)の未来.

But, as I see that it's apparently a problem on Japanese sites as well, I was just wondering if it was technically not possible (yet) to add furigana above kanji on websites. See: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DDCY-7004; in the Japanese title the kana ガンナー are supposed to be above the kanji 銃士.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 am 

Oh, you're referring to Ruby characters...? Yes, they're a specific sort of text-rendering technology that's not supported on every browser.

I'm actually not sure where the W3C stands with that, to be quite honest... I remember some CSS properties existing to control the position of those sort of characters, but I don't know if they're standardised...

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 am 

Regarding the furigana, I should be more specific. In the single 断罪の銃士, the word 銃士 should pronounce juushi, but the band wants people to pronounce it as ガンナー (gan'nā, alluding gunner, clearly influenced by English) for some reason. This usage is not common, but is indeed employed by some artists singers. Typical example will be 心 (kokoro) with furigana "ハート (Hāto, alluding heart)".

[Thanks to a Japanese friend for telling me this.]

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:23 am 

aeternus1990 wrote:
MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:

Finally fixed. I've found information here.

I never though I'd see the day when the Kaarn Kluay page would finally be 100% free of butchered characters and symbols. Truly a day for celebration.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:30 pm 

I never though I'd see the day when the Kaarn Kluay page would finally be 100% free of butchered characters and symbols. Truly a day for celebration.

True! Sometimes if you really want to find something, you'll find it. Weeks ago I wished to find lyrics for one Japanese song, and spend one hour in Google - only one site has it! :)

I need help for English capitalization of these words: "so", "or", "nor", "when", "who", "whom", "what", "too", "yet", "that", "this", "then", "than", "ago", "till", "over", "into", "onto", "off", "out", "up", "down", "but", "like", "near", "per", "upon", "via", "only", "also", "as far as", "as long as", "as soon as". Does it always standard for these words or there are exceptions?

legacy4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 am 

Little compilation of some English capitalization rules:

English language words which must begin with a lower-case letter are: an / and / as / at / by / for / from / in / of / on / or / the / to / with.

Capitalize all words in a title, except the following:
1. Articles: a, an, the (unless they come at the beginning or the end)
2. Coordinating conjunctions (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so)
3. Prepositions fewer than five letters (to, up, over, in, on, of, etc.)

These are the words that should not be capitalized:
- Articles (the, a, an), unless the article is the first or (less likely, of course) last word of the title.
- Prepositions of four letters or fewer (unless the preposition is the first or last word of the title).
- Conjunctions of four letters or fewer (unless the conjunction is the first or last word of the title).
- The particle "to" used with an infinitive (unless the "to" is the first or last word of the title).

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:22 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
I need help for English capitalization of these words: "so", "or", "nor", "when", "who", "whom", "what", "too", "yet", "that", "this", "then", "than", "ago", "till", "over", "into", "onto", "off", "out", "up", "down", "but", "like", "near", "per", "upon", "via", "only", "also", "as far as", "as long as", "as soon as". Does it always standard for these words or there are exceptions?

• "So" - capitalize it if it's used as an adverb (e.g. "I was so hungry"), leave it uncapitalized if it's being used as a conjunction ("I was hungry, so I went to go eat something").
  • "Or" and "nor" are conjunctions and are always left as lowercase.
  • "When", "who", "whom", and "what" are pronouns and are always capitalized.
  • "Too" is an adverb, always capitalize it.
  • "Yet" can be an adverb ("We have not left yet") or a conjunction ("You say you are my friend, yet you keep hurting me"). Only capitalize the adverb, leave the conjunction uncapitalized.
  • "That" and "This" are pronouns - always capitalize them.
  • "Then" is always a conjunction - leave it as lowercase.
  • "Than" is always a preposition - leave it as lowercase.
  • "Ago" is (I believe) an adverb. Always capitalize it.
  • "Till" is an abbreviated form of the preposition "until". As it has less than five letters, you would leave it as lowercase.
  • When "over" is a preposition, you leave it as lowercase. However, "over" can also be used in combination with a verb to form a phrasal verb (for example, "kick over", "think over"), and in that case both the verb and "over" would be capitalized.
    EDIT: Just wanted to say that "over" can also be an adjective ("our relationship is over"), in which case you would capitalize it.
  • "Into" and "onto" are prepositions with less than four letters - leave them uncapitalized.
  • "Off" and "out" are adverbs, and they're always capitalized.
  • "Up" can be an adverb ("I watched the airplane go up into the sky"), part of a phrasal verb ("I threw up"), or a preposition ("The cat went up the tree"; "I went up the street"). Capitalize it for all of its uses, except for the preposition.
  • Similarly, "down" can be an adverb ("Get down from there"), part of a phrasal verb ("My dad strips down in public"), or a preposition ("I went down the list"; "I walked down the street"). Capitalize it for all of its uses, except for the preposition.
  • "But" is always a conjunction, so it's never capitalized.
  • "Like" can be used as many different parts of speech, but you should only leave it not capitalized when it's being used as a preposition (which would mean "similar to": "He looks like a duck") or a conjunction (which would mean "as if": "You ran like a bear was chasing you").
  • "Near" can be an adverb, a verb, an adjective, and a preposition. So normally you would not capitalize it when it's used as a preposition (e.g. "I died near a hospital"); however:
    Quote:
    Joan Maling (1983) shows that near is best analysed as an adjective with which the use of to is optional, rather than a preposition. It has the comparative and the superlative, and it can be followed by enough.

Basically, capitalize "near" in all of its uses.
  • "Per" is a preposition unless you're using it as a gender-neutral pronoun, so leave it uncapitalized.
  • "Upon" is a preposition with less than five letters, so it's uncapitalized unless used in a phrasal verb (e.g. "stumble upon").
  • "Via" has uses as a noun, but you'll probably never see them used in metal song/album titles ("A small hole in a printed-circuit board filled with metal which connects two or more layers"? Fucking BRUTAL!). In all other situations, it's a preposition, so leave it uncapitalized.
  • "Only" should be capitalized unless you're using it as a conjunction synonymous with "but" ("I would listen to Suicide Silence, only I have decent taste in music"). Leave it as a lowercase in that situation.
  • "Also" is an adverb and only an adverb. Always capitalize it.
  • Whenever you see the word "as" on either side of an adjective ("as hungry as", "as fast as", etc.), capitalize the adjective, but not the two occurrences of "as". Actually, as a general rule, you should never capitalize "as".

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 am 

The second part of this album title is clearly incorrect. There is no such word zmazacenych in Czech. I think it should be "V zajetí ztracených" (Lost in captivity), and I want to native speaker to confirm this. (I cannot find anything online.)

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:45 pm 

For the city where the band located or formed, how to mention 'em on the band page - in native language or English - if the language use Latin symbols? For example: is it Rīga or Riga? Tiranë or Tirana?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm 

English. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... orld/74680

Hebrew part in the last song is fucked.

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:39 am 

Azmodes wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Arallu/The_Demon_from_the_Ancient_World/74680

Hebrew part in the last song is fucked.

Actually this is a big problem. I managed to recover the lyrics from v1, but the order of the words is totally fucked up in both v1 and v2. The correct lyrics should read (Note that Hebrew is written from right to left)
But when I copy and paste, since the default writing order in MA is left-to-right, the words are reversed! Look at the first line. In MA, the leftmost words are פורצים צבאות (incorrect), which should be the rightmost two words (correct).

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:40 am 

What about hyphenated words--is the second part of the word capitalized?

EXAMPLE:
"Blah Blah Example Song (Re-Recorded)"
or
"Blah Blah Example Song (Re-recorded)"

Which is correct?

Also, in the case of slashes, which is correct?
"Example / Example 2"
or
"Example/Example 2"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 am 

@Snow Listener: Yeah, that's a problem. I don't think our system supports it. No choice but to leave it as it is or transcribe it to Latin script.

Sly93 wrote:
What about hyphenated words--is the second part of the word capitalized?

EXAMPLE:
"Blah Blah Example Song (Re-Recorded)"
or
"Blah Blah Example Song (Re-recorded)"

Which is correct?

Re-recorded.

Sly93 wrote:
Also, in the case of slashes, which is correct?
"Example / Example 2"
or
"Example/Example 2"

That's less consistent. For split titles you should always use the first example. For genres or general stuff in the notes the second. For locations I use "Berlin/Hamburg" for cities and "Berlin, Germany / Tokyo, Japan" for different countries; i.e. international bands or those who moved to another country later on, etc... But the latter is just my personal preference. There are no set rules for this.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am 

Alright, makes sense (referring to the second section). As for the first, that applies to all hyphenated words? In the use of an album title as an example for clarification, Ill-natured Spiritual Invasion by Old Man's Child? Or would it be Ill-Natured ~?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 am 

To all.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:58 am 

It appears that I involve myself in foreign (i.e. non-English, obviously) languages too much and allowed my English grammar skills to diminish.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:00 am 

And by the way, to my knowledge "Song 123 (re-recorded)" is more correct, since the part in parentheses isn't really part of the title but just a description. Same goes for "Song 123 (Artist 321 cover)" and "Song 123 (bonus track)".

Also, that's the thread you're looking for: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=93525 ;)

Or this one: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94071

This thread seems to have gotten a bit off-topic, so let's stick to mojibakes and (non-capitalization) foreign language questions here.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 pm 

There's a mojibake sitting on Mortician's page ("Zielona Góra" became "Zielona G�ra"). Reported and such, but I fucked up and accidentally clicked send the first time when I meant to cancel it :ugh:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:58 pm 

Lyrics for tracks 4 & 9 of this album: Swedish, yet contains the Cyrillic characters д and ц. Hm ... Someone wanna fix?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm 

Sly93 wrote:
Lyrics for tracks 4 & 9 of this album: Swedish, yet contains the Cyrillic characters д and ц. Hm ... Someone wanna fix?

Done.

EDIT: Well, except this line from track 4:
Quote:
Vill hдrifrеn och det ska gе fort

Can't figure out the second word. Härifren?

The lyrics also might benefit from a Swedish speaker going over them again. Some spellings seemed a bit off? But my knowledge of Swedish is very limited, so dunno...

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Done.

EDIT: Well, except this line from track 4:
Quote:
Vill hдrifrеn och det ska gе fort

Can't figure out the second word. Härifren?

The lyrics also might benefit from a Swedish speaker going over them again. Some spellings seemed a bit off? But my knowledge of Swedish is very limited, so dunno...

This is where Porman might be of assistance ...

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 pm 

Yeah, this should be pretty obvious :D

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:28 pm 

This report concerns broken encoding/mojibakes: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 9/show/all

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 pm 

Anyone speak Japanese? This report has a release that need the Japanese lyrics (included in photos with the report) added to the existing English lyrics.

Additionally, this report deals with a Czech band with a release containing Czech characters. The user that brought it up could not add the album, as he was not able to type in Czech.

BastardHead wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 pm 

So. Anyone speak Hebrew?

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Se ... rd.../2895
The lyrics for tracks 2-5 contain ? instead of Swedish characters. Could use some checking by a native speaker.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:45 pm 

This album (and most of its tracks) are listed in translated gibberish instead of Bengali

You can see the correct tracklist and title here:
Spoiler: show

Perhaps the user that submitted the band can be of assistance in getting the right names. His profile says he's from Bengal, so he more than likely knows the language.

BastardHead wrote:

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:01 pm 

Broken characters in this review:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/K ... 90/caspian
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 am 

This album's title should be written in Japanese, as per the artwork. Also, the artwork says "Power of Doom Music PODM-0001", and I don't know if it's a genuine label or not.

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:26 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
This album's title should be written in Japanese, as per the artwork. Also, the artwork says "Power of Doom Music PODM-0001", and I don't know if it's a genuine label or not.

Changed the title. According to this site; http://tieba.baidu.com/p/98098431?pn=2, this and the band's other demos were released in different years than what's listed on MA.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:07 pm 

TvvrAskesis wrote:
Obscurum wrote:

Changed the title. According to this site; http://tieba.baidu.com/p/98098431?pn=2, this and the band's other demos were released in different years than what's listed on MA.

Use your judgment to determine if existing information might be incorrect. I don't know the language, and I wouldn't normally trust a website that looks like that, but if you believe information is incorrect and have a trustworthy source for correct info, you may change it. In this case, user who added it, Mutiilation, tends to be very knowledgeable/involved with Brazilian and Japanese bands, so I would assume he is correct, but if you find a reliable source to the contrary, go ahead and correct it. I believe you are the mostly knowledgeable active user when it comes to Japanese bands, so don't hesitate to take care of them with reasonable caution.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:50 pm 

This album (and most of its tracks) are listed in translated gibberish instead of Bengali

You can see the correct tracklist and title here:
Spoiler: show

Perhaps the user that submitted the band can be of assistance in getting the right names. His profile says he's from Bengal, so he more than likely knows the language.

Bumping this one again. Do we have anyone at all who's fluent in Bengali on the site?

BastardHead wrote:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:06 pm 

MCH, did you ever send that guy a PM?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 pm 

Not something on the Archives, but this appears to be mojibake'd kanji and might contain useful info about this band: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lucy/3540372486

Does anyone have the means to revert it to the original?

Gelordum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 pm 

Azmodes, you need translation or just to see it in the correct encoding?

Anyway, here is how to repair encoding in Firefox:
View -> Character Encoding -> Auto-Detect -> East Asian

Screenshot:

Copypaste:
LUCY/YOU’RE GONE
1990 private 7”
ツインギターの5人組だがVoがKeyもこなす。さらに女声コーラスが支えており演奏は決して薄っぺらいわけではないが、プロダクションがかなりしょぼい。A面はBON JOVI+様式美色。ただしC級。B面は様式美パワーメタル。まとまりなく冗長だが中間部のインスト部では非凡な才能をみせる。ややオナニー気味ではあるが様式美ファンにはアピールするはず。ちなみにギターの1人はフリフリのシャツを着た太っちょだ。次作MCDでは格段の成長を遂げ整合性のある様式美パワーメタルを聴かせてくれる。

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm 

Thank you very much! Correct encoding is enough, since I know how to use Google Translate. Though if you or anyone else knows the language and could translate it, I won't say no either. ;)

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:42 pm 

Bumping this one again. Do we have anyone at all who's fluent in Bengali on the site?

Here you go :)

I'd just typed "Biday Shongbidhan" in Google translate and Bengali title had appeared. Then pasted it in the Google search and found this link. You can be 100% sure that those titles are correct since they are on the Bengali site.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:35 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Here you go :)

I'd just typed "Biday Shongbidhan" in Google translate and Bengali title had appeared. Then pasted it in the Google search and found this link. You can be 100% sure that those titles are correct since they are on the Bengali site.

Well ain't that a bitch. Literally the entire page will display in Bengali on my laptop...except for the tracklist, which is mojibake'd.

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:22 pm 

Take a look now on the MA band page, should be better ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next