Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:37 pm 

C'mon, people! The report queue keeps increasing, when it should be the opposite!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 am 

This shit again :rolleyes:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 0/show/all

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:19 am 

:lol:

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/413010

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:30 am 

Ehhh, I'd actually kind of agree with him, it's not vandalism but "mallcore" is hardly the sort of neutral term one would expect from an encyclopaedia. I can understand the reinforcement of its use on band genres such as DevilDriver's and Soulfly's, where noobs might see the term "nu-metal" and start arguing for the inclusion of other well-known nu-metal bands, but in rather obscure places such as artist pages, there isn't any need for that sort of careful, sensitive tiptoeing. (And really, if that's the name of the genre, shouldn't it be used regardless of the misnomers associated with it? Cybergrind has little to no "grind" influence whatsoever, but whether I like it or not - and I don't - that's simply the most universal term for what it is, and that's how it will be remembered throughout history. I'm starting to digress, though.) Calling Mudvayne "progressive nu metal", though... Jesus fucking Christ. :lol:

I would personally just change it to say "Lead singer of the nu-metal band Mudvayne.", if only as an excuse to get rid of that horrendous "progressive nu metal" tag.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I would personally just change it to say "Lead singer of the nu-metal band Mudvayne.", if only as an excuse to get rid of that horrendous "progressive nu metal" tag.

I didn't even notice the "progressive" part ... Edited to be more straight-to-the-point as well: no need to credit him as vocalist in the notes when it's readily apparent, and they're not exactly entirely nu metal, either.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 pm 

That actually looks worse to me, honestly. It's a biography section; it should contain a full, textual description of the artist's life, not just an "only contains information not listed anywhere else" section. In its current state it's rather pointless, since Mudvayne are such a famous band that simply listing their genre - and nothing else - in Chad Gray's biography looks like it's missing the point.

I don't have the authority to actually tell you to do this, but I would strongly suggest that when you write band/artist biographies, your goal should be to present a comprehensive pile of information... not to eliminate all redundancy possible at the expense of the flow of the text.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
That actually looks worse to me, honestly. It's a biography section; it should contain a full, textual description of the artist's life, not just an "only contains information not listed anywhere else" section. In its current state it's rather pointless, since Mudvayne are such a famous band that simply listing their genre - and nothing else - in Chad Gray's biography looks like it's missing the point.

I don't have the authority to actually tell you to do this, but I would strongly suggest that when you write band/artist biographies, your goal should be to present a comprehensive pile of information... not to eliminate all redundancy possible at the expense of the flow of the text.

That may be, but I listed it under the trivia/additional notes section, not the bio, which should be as bare-minimum as need-be to elaborate further than what's already given.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm 

Alright, I'll give you that. :P It'd probably be better if someone just created a mini-biography which went over his early life, bands he's performed in and the genres of those bands, etc. It'd look nicer than any of the edits made to it thus far, anyways.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Alright, I'll give you that. :P It'd probably be better if someone just created a mini-biography which went over his early life, bands he's performed in and the genres of those bands, etc. It'd look nicer than any of the edits made to it thus far, anyways.

Well, since you volunteered yourself ... :D

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:10 pm 

Why waste time stuff like that which can be found elsewhere and nobody cares about? There's a link to that band's Facebook page anyway, and there's only one band by that name.

Well, it's probably a better use of time than updating any of the bands on Depressive Illusions.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm 

Let's get everything from 2012 done before the weekend. Shouldn't be too hard, but there are a lot of reports that have just been sitting there. That's just under 500 reports as I just handled a dozen now. I've found a bunch of little stuff that was easy to do, and the usual stuff like a few users who make completely unsourced reports on LLN bands and expect us to take their word :rolleyes:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 pm 

Demo limited to 50 copies, but there's also a die-hard version :lol:

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 8/show/all

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 am 

Hey, this moderator warning works! :P
http://www.metal-archives.com/label/edit/id/21

Is this one false or too true? :P
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 7/show/all

One more thing, if someone could tell this guy to not report differences of 1-2 seconds in track lengths I'd appreciate it.
http://www.metal-archives.com/users/longas

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 pm 

300 reports from 2012 left.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 am 

That's an odd source :lol:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 3/show/all

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm 

Pretty fucking valid, in my opinion. I trust such a statement. It seems to come from a fellow nerd, so why the hell not!?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 pm 

This has been building up a lot, it seems like it's just too much for us to handle, even with all the metal knights. What could be done to streamline the process? Rather than simply saying that a source is recommended, perhaps a brief message to explain why? Perhaps "Most reports requir a verifiable source, such as the band's official web page or a scan/picture of a release."

Pretty similar to what I suggested here, but a change that could be made without any coding.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93021

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57 pm 

Glad I read this string as I was going to ask about closing old reports as I have a ton that I have asked for proof on that weeks/months later have no answer. So I'm going to start closing some of them now that I see the 2 week guideline for minor things.

Anyone thought of some kind of enhancement though? Maybe a box to check that says "requires proof" and if nothing is added in that 2 week period or any other determined point it gets automatically closed? It would surely make the queue way more manageable. And sooner or later those lost reports on Page 4 of the queue would need some attention! (and hell, someone's been cranking them out today - under 1000 for the first time in a while)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Anyone thought of some kind of enhancement though? Maybe a box to check that says "requires proof" and if nothing is added in that 2 week period or any other determined point it gets automatically closed? It would surely make the queue way more manageable. And sooner or later those lost reports on Page 4 of the queue would need some attention! (and hell, someone's been cranking them out today - under 1000 for the first time in a while)

The proposal of such a box/option or similar has been brought to the owners' attention a couple of times now. All we can do is wait. :P

Also, reports down to 900+ again. Go go go!

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
This has been building up a lot, it seems like it's just too much for us to handle, even with all the metal knights. What could be done to streamline the process? Rather than simply saying that a source is recommended, perhaps a brief message to explain why? Perhaps "Most reports requir a verifiable source, such as the band's official web page or a scan/picture of a release."

Love the idea. I'd simply be happy if there was some kind of block in place that wouldn't allow a user to create a circular link as proof. Linking to the page you are reporting on is not proof.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:48 pm 

None of this is official, as that'd be up to Morri and HB to decide, but we have offered up some suggestions for the report queue, and at this point it's up to both of them to decide what gets implemented, if anything.

The two suggestions I put forward personally include a) splitting up the review queue into three queues (one for band pages, one for artist pages, one for labels) and b) make it so that the source field is required, even if it might be abused. Fixing up our guidelines might not be a bad idea (to explain very basically what we need), and also creating automatic responses might not be a bad idea either.

There's no way we're going to lower the number of reports we get in on average, but if we can stave off some redundancy and make it more organized, it might seem like there's less to work with, and wont feel so cramped and jumbled.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm 

I wonder how many of them are simply wrong genre? It seems like every third or fourth one is that. I know that I'm not at the level to change that yet and I highly doubt I would do that anyway even if I had the permissions. Those have got to suck going through and I'm sure that's part of the reason why they stay open forever. I'd also bet most of them get rejected anyway. I know you can sort but having them on their own tab of the report queue would make it less overwhelming for sure.

I'm sure the queue could really be in the multiple thousands if people reported all the broken web links on here too but there really is no good solution to that one.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 am 

Tony suggested that I post this here:

Maybe the way to get the report queue more efficiently is a mass-viewing option for mods/admins where they can go down a list and check off things that need sources, to get an automated message, and dead reports where a response was needed and none was given. That could help handle the bulk of reports that can't be handled without a lot of research, since that rarely seems to get done and it's very time-consuming and not feasible for what's built up.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 pm 

Have you seen this great proof from last night.

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 pm 

Sorry if I missed this in the rules - but just for consistency - I've seen guests that only played on a track or two listed so many different ways that I was wondering what the preferred look is - so Joe Smith plays guitar on just track 6.

Is it:
Guitars on track 6
Guitars (on track 6)
Guitars on "Track Name Here"
Guitars (on "Track Name Here")

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 pm 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Sorry if I missed this in the rules - but just for consistency - I've seen guests that only played on a track or two listed so many different ways that I was wondering what the preferred look is - so Joe Smith plays guitar on just track 6.

Is it:
Guitars on track 6
Guitars (on track 6)
Guitars on "Track Name Here"
Guitars (on "Track Name Here")

I tend to use the parentheses, as they appear "cleaner" to me, and if only a single track, I usually go "Guitars (on "Song Title")", but if multiple, then the track numbers: "Guitars (on tracks 1-4)".

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 am 

^

There's no official policy, but the practice is as Obscurum outlines.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:00 am 

If an artist's played on a single track, I use:

Guitars (on "Track Title").

If an artist's played on several tracks, or if there's a whole slew of artists who've played on the same tracks (common with symphonic metal bands), I use this syntax:

Guitars (track 1)
  Vocals (tracks 1-6, 8-9, 12)

If an artist has played on only one track, and that track's title is absurdly long, I also refer to it by track index.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 am 

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:56 pm 

Alright, in case some of you chivalrously ranked fellas haven't noticed, the new semi-automated notification system for reports is now live on the main site. Or since a few days already, it's been active on the .dev subdomain for around a week. All users who interacted with a report somehow are transformed into neat little checkboxes which staff members and Metal Knights can use to notify them with a pre-written message (namely "Please review <a href="report">this report</a>. Further input is requested."). If that happens, an automatic post will also be added to the report that the respective user has been notified by you, to avoid people sending an avalanche of the same message to one user. Happy crunching!

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 pm 

Yes, I noticed that yesterday and it is excellent to see that feature has finally come to life! But I have one question on how to use it that I just want to check. Should this new notification system be used only when a report lacks enough proof/information or can it sometimes be used for other things too (eg, something like when I suggested to Opsius that this report should probably be closed)?

Last edited by Midnightwards666 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 am 

Yeah, you can also use it in that way, HouseSpiders.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:34 am 

I'll try to resolve reports again when I can, working on a ton of other things right now. :l
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 pm 

Alright, this is a bit ... odd, to say the least:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/421844

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yes, HouseSpiders already brought that to my attention. I have many fans and stalkers out there, no doubt.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

595 reports. Blitzkrieg time.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:14 am 

Down to 525, from 600+ before. Let's keep this going! Anyone else joining in?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:00 pm 

Reports from banned users. Should they be given the time of day? (http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/426890 is the report that spurs the questioning).

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:22 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Reports from banned users. Should they be given the time of day? (http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/426890 is the report that spurs the questioning).

If they have a valid source, then yes. Wikipedia isn't necessarily reliable and since it could be edited by anyone, I wouldn't trust anyone who managed to get banned from the site to not try some fuckery there.

No source, or Wikipedia/something crappy? Feel free to move on.

I went through a bunch of the "wrong music genre" reports today, those are quite time consuming. Been trying to keep the report queue down and the band queue is growing...

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 pm 

Well, you could always alternate. One day of closing out reports (a number of which I keep finding are small but sourceless changes) and a day clicking off bands.

Or you guys could send out a search party to relocate Witcher. No one ever needed to check the band queue, because he was so damn efficient and quick about rejecting/approving bands that there were rarely any bands to check.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next