Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 am 

A lot of the bonus tracks on albums seem like filler to me. Do you know of bands that released some of their best material as a bonus track(s)? If so which tracks?

An example would be In Flames, two of the best songs on their Colony album were released only as bonus tracks in Japan.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:59 am 

Two of my favourite Dio tracks only appear as bonus tracks on Japanese editions. Those being God Hates Heavy Metal from Angry Machines and Prisoner of Paradise from Master of the Moon. No doubt they'll emerge on a compilation or a reissue sooner or later.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

~Guest 145593
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 am 

I like "Beyond the Sun" by Amebix which was a bonus track on Arise. Nice and relaxing song with good atmosphere and emotion!

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 am 

The bonus track on Essence - Last Night of Solace called Fractured Dimension is in my opinion the best track on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y81YY4g3GnE

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 am 

Morbid Angel's "Lord of All Fevers & Plague" was an CD bonus track (niftly placed in the middle of the track listing)... that's not only a good song, I can't really imagine Altars of Madness without that one, too...

So yeah, that's my pick... :P

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:46 am 

Black Sabbath's "The Devil Cried" was only included on the Dio Years compilation. It's easily one of my favorite Black Sabbath songs with Dio. The lyrics, the riffs, the atmosphere are all quite sinister.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:08 am 

Running Wild - Libertalia. Best song on Rogues en Vogue as well. Why not included as actual album track? Who knows.

Satanic Warmaster - Legion Werwolf. Originally a LP bonus track but later added to the CD. Great rocking track.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:12 am 

ancientorder wrote:
Running Wild - Libertalia. Best song on Rogues en Vogue as well. Why not included as actual album track? Who knows

I came in here with two obvious ones in mind, this was the big one. Seriously, Libertalia is the ONLY good song on Rogues, it's actually one of my personal favorites. I'll never understand why it wasn't included on the album as a legit track.

The other one would be "Symbol of Eight" from Bolt Thrower's final album, Those Once Loyal. Really, this track is Bolt Thrower in a nutshell. Everything I love about the band it just right in your face here, and I love that. Some of their absolute best riffs as well.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:22 am 

This leaves no ass unkicked.

Umodian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:58 am 

I honestly like the bonus tracks on 'Black Metal' more than the album itself. (My version has 9 bonus tracks)

Special mention goes to this version of Nightmare. (Which I also prefer to the single released after 'Possessed'.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5x8ogCFzOo

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 am 

I liked the bonus track "One of the B-Sides" on Bark at the Moon. That shit has a really catchy 80's feel to it.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
This leaves no ass unkicked.

It's an outrage that 'The Lake' was not part of the original album and simply used as a B-Side for the Halloween 12" single. It's a great track. It should have replaced the pointless 'Voices from the Past', in my opinion.

A couple I can think of, off the top of my head are...

Marduk - 'Coram Satanae' from Serpent Sermon. Fantastic track. One of the best from the latest album. Why is this a bonus track and not part of the album?

Alice Cooper - 'Under the Bed' from Welcome 2 My Nightmare. I really like this album. Again, one of the best from that release and yet its a bonus.

I look forward to hearing from those living in Japan, as pretty much every album released there contains a bonus track. Lucky buggers!

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 am 

Umodian wrote:
I honestly like the bonus tracks on 'Black Metal' more than the album itself. (My version has 9 bonus tracks)

Special mention goes to this version of Nightmare. (Which I also prefer to the single released after 'Possessed'.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5x8ogCFzOo

The Venom re-releases are great, as they contain all the singles the band released between albums. Many of these tracks should really have been on albums, as most are fantastic.

Muthafuca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 am 

For me, Stratovarius always had excellent bonus tracks, Cold Winter Nights from Destiny being the prime example. Also Ride Like the Wind off Elements 2 is good, and all bonus tracks from latest, Nemesis are excellent and should be on main album instead of some songs. I almost forgot, Second Sight from Polaris is better than 80% of official songs and Castaway from Elysium is no stinker either.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 am 

Baroque1 wrote:
An example would be In Flames, two of the best songs on their Colony album were released only as bonus tracks in Japan.

first thing i thought of when i saw the thread title was the jester race

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:46 am 

First thing that came to my mind was:

Artillery - Chaos Ride

When Death Comes was an excellent album (parring the annoying production), but it baffles me how this beast of a track only appeared on the Japanese edition of the album. I own the album but only stumbled upon this track by chance once some years ago. It's an asskicking Artillery track with excellent riffage, catchy choruses and lotsa energy.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Black Sabbath's "The Devil Cried" was only included on the Dio Years compilation. It's easily one of my favorite Black Sabbath songs with Dio. The lyrics, the riffs, the atmosphere are all quite sinister.

That's a really good song, but my favorite of the three is Shadow of the Wind.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 am 

Deviante wrote:
First thing that came to my mind was:

Artillery - Chaos Ride

When Death Comes was an excellent album (parring the annoying production), but it baffles me how this beast of a track only appeared on the Japanese edition of the album. I own the album but only stumbled upon this track by chance once some years ago. It's an asskicking Artillery track with excellent riffage, catchy choruses and lotsa energy.

Warhead is also awesome, and it's only on the digipak version... That one I've never even heard before.

SoldierOfHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 am 

Cant think of anything but Flaming metal system on Manilla road Crystal logic

I agree with the post above about Libertalia, it is really the only good song on Rogue en vogue

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:56 am 

This is an awesome Cattle Decapitation bonus track that only appeared on the Japanese version of Monolith of Inhumanity.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 am 

Dragonlord's Emerald and of course Cancer Bats Sabotage, of which was later recomissioned into a EP.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:03 am 

another order of badass, Killing Victims Found off World Demise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyqq0ZuJnHI

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 am 

All are available on Reign Forever World, but the three bonus tracks on Vader's Revelations rule especially Privilage Of The Gods.

Naglfar - Tired Bones from Teras is just as high quality as the rest of the album.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am 

Lately I've been fuckin' :headbang: to Benediction's covers of 'See through my eyes' (Broken Bones) and 'Largactyl' (Amebix) included on 'Killing music'.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am 

schizoid wrote:
another order of badass, Killing Victims Found off World Demise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyqq0ZuJnHI

Yes!

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 am 

I really like Megadeth's "Kill the King" from their greatest hits comp. I'm not sure that fits the strict definition of a bonus track or not.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 am 

whiteshark761 wrote:
I really like Megadeth's "Kill the King" from their greatest hits comp. I'm not sure that fits the strict definition of a bonus track or not.

Nah, that was a new song released on a compilation.

One of mine would be Venoms In Nomine Satanas, which is now a bonus track on Welcome to Hell. Like someone said earlier, really needed to be released on an album.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am 

Bruce Dickinson - Return of the King. I think it's better than most of the songs on The Chemical Wedding, which is saying a lot.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 am 

Lagartija wrote:
Lately I've been fuckin' :headbang: to Benediction's covers of 'See through my eyes' (Broken Bones) and 'Largactyl' (Amebix) included on 'Killing music'.

Great covers from a great album. Benediction can be hit and miss but when they hit.........

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 am 

Megadeth was the first example that came to mind for me. Crown Of Worms is a particularly awesome song and I remember thinking that Black Swan was better than a good portion of United Abominations until they put it on Th1rt3en. And whether it's counted or not, Kill The King is one of the best Megadeth songs ever written.

A more specific example that I found were the two bonus tracks on Nightwish's Once. Both of the songs end up being better than most of the actual album and sound more like a logical evolution from the Century Child sound than the final product.

Also, in terms of his solo career, Bruce Dickinson is pretty much the king of bonus tracks. While some of them are either undeveloped ideas (Darkness Be My Friend) or novelties (I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer), some of them like Return Of The King and Confeos are quite well written.

One more album specific example I've found were the two bonus tracks on King's X's XV album. Love And Rockets (Hell's Screaming) is rather heavy by the band's standards and No Lies is my most played track due to its solid blues influence.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 am 

Lacrimas Profundere's Filthy Notes for Frozen Hearts has a couple duds in the latter half of the album, and it doesn't end on the highest of notes. That is, unless your copy has the bonus track "Shiver," which is one of the last and best songs they did with their original vocalist. Holy shit is it awesome, with that breathtaking lead accompanying the chorus after the bridge. Fantastic song that begs the question of "why wasn't this included originally?!"

Autumn also has two phenomenal bonus tracks for Altitude, which could have easily replaced a couple lighter songs on the album. If that was actuality, then that album would be a 100% for me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:15 am 

"In Longing Spirit" from Emperor's Reverence EP. The atmosphere in the song is astounding, and while the rest of the track is simple, it blows me away each time. It's easily one of my favorite Emperor tracks.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am 

ghost223 wrote:
"In Longing Spirit" from Emperor's Reverence EP. The atmosphere in the song is astounding, and while the rest of the track is simple, it blows me away each time. It's easily one of my favorite Emperor tracks.

Excellent call on that track. Easily one of my favourites too. Dripping rich with atmosphere.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:06 pm 

The outro to Totenburg's Pestpogrom contains a cover of "Walvater Wotan" (originally by Landser). That was quite the surprise back in the day.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm 

shwartzheim wrote:
Naglfar - Tired Bones from Teras is just as high quality as the rest of the album.

Hmm, I actually own the limited edition which has that, but haven't even opened the package...

And well, Doro's "Everything's Lost" which is a b-side is one of her best tracks imo. Same goes with Within Temptation's "Say My Name". Sometimes bonus tracks are bonus tracks only because they are different from the rest of the album.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:12 pm 

I can think of a ton of examples of bonus tracks that are incredible, which is why I'm always trying to seek them out. Usually if I like a band, I enjoy the bonus tracks too.

Paradise Lost has some great bonus tracks. There's a fantastic bonus song called "Back on Disaster" which was only on the Japanese version of Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us. I think it's better than most of the songs on that album. They also have a song called "Gone" that was a bonus track on the "Believe in Nothing" album which I easily feel is the best song they wrote during the sessions for that album.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm 

^ Oh, right, Paradise Lost. "Another Desire", b-side of "Forever Failure" would've worked on Draconian Times too.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:27 pm 

'Snow', by Kamelot. It was a bonus track on 'Epica'. Together with 'III Ways to Epica', it forms my favorite part of the whole album, which is already my favorite Kamelot album.

Katatonia has some great B-sides that eventually became bonus tracks, like 'No Devotion', 'Fractured', 'Sulfur', 'March 4', and especially 'Help Me Disappear'. This is a trend with them. Other great songs that weren't part of main albums include 'Code Against the Code', 'Unfurl', 'Second', 'Wait Outside', 'Dissolving Bonds', 'Displaced', 'Quiet World'... man, the list goes on.

'Asylum Dance' by Soilwork is a fucking killer song and really should have been on 'A Predator's Portrait'.

Finally, Psychotic fucking Waltz. It does my head in that 'Successor', 'Spiral Tower', and especially 'Only in a Dream' weren't part of the original 'A Social Grace' record.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 pm 

Panflute wrote:
The outro to Totenburg's Pestpogrom contains a cover of "Walvater Wotan" (originally by Landser). That was quite the surprise back in the day.

Sure, that's a great one. But I think it's a hidden track on purpose...

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 pm 

Motorhead covering Jumpin' Jack Flash. I guess it was first released as a reissue bonus track on Bastards, but I have it as the Japanese bonus track on Inferno, and let me tell you, it's a hell of way to close the latter album!

And then there's Squarepusher doing a song called On Fire Again. Not a metal artist, but a pretty fuckin' metal song! Story goes that this album was a collaboration with a bunch of possibly-fairly-well-known metal musicians who really wanted to work with Squarepusher and do some robot R&B? I dunno exactly what to call the album. Anyways, it's fairly mellow for what Squarepusher normally puts out, until you get to this electro-thrash... thing. Once again, only on the Japanese version of the album.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next