Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 am 

Metallumz wrote:
This is something i've tried to get my head around personally aswell, having a metal 'rebirth' its made me realise just how stuck-up and ignorant people are of those different to them. Not just metallers but anyone who doesn't fit into the stereotypical polo-shirt and jeans.

Maybe it's just because I don't "look metal," but I'm fairly open and casual about my love for metal and I never get any shit about it from anyone. I really just wonder where comments like this come from. If you don't act like a dipshit, I doubt people will really be all that stuck up or ignorant about something as bland as music taste.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 am 

Your moms right, brah. Metal shirts make you look like a burglar.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:21 pm 

Again with the time and place. OP, as you get older you are going to realise that conformity is necessary in many areas in life and that it's not such a bad thing. Rebelling for the sake of it is one of the stupidest things you could do, despite all it's teenage appeal. To put it across simply, you should wear a Pleasure To Kill because you love Kreator, not because your parent's don't like it and therefore you can walk down the street declaring "fuck conformity, I'm a metalhead!".

A good friend of mine does sales in the financial sector and earns about $2000-$12000 a month on commission ALONE, not counting his basic wage. If he wore his PtK shirt to meet EVERY customer, who knows how many sales might have been lost? Perhaps all, perhaps none. But a mature individual would just play it safe, dress smartly and formally, make a good impression, make the sale, take the fucking money, and then use it to go to a Kreator show wearing that PtK shirt and watching them actually perform PtK.

That sounds a hell of a lot better than complaining about how society sucks because it's so shallow while listening to a dusty Kreator CD in a filthy unwashed PtK shirt(because your broke ass can't afford a laundromat) and drinking cheap shitty beer because your life sucks. 2 extremes yes, but move towards the former and not the latter.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:23 pm 

Wearing bandshirts is a very conformist thing to do.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 pm 

Samoroth wrote:

True. Real metalheads go around naked, covered only by tribal tattoos and the blood of their enemies.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 pm 

edit:
if you want to rep your trve but still be presentable, here's a decent option:
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm 

I suppose this 'accepted conformism' also applies to muslim women who wear the Hijab, or Indians (not the reservation kind) with the red target-marker across their foreheads? Like I said before people can be shits about anything, just because you're fortunate to live in a culturally accepting area, most likely in a city, doesn't mean the general principle applies everywhere. Try living in somewhere like North Yorkshire mining community wearing all-black and a rainbow-dyed hairstyle and see how long it'd take before you get your ass kicked.

It's got nothing to do with not having any personality or whatever bullshit, it's to do with the fact that as a species mankind hasn't mentally grown out of the caveman-like state yet.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Samoroth wrote:

True. Real metalheads go around naked, covered only by tribal tattoos and the blood of their enemies.

:lol: :lol: Damn Xl I'm stealing that for my signature.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
Indians (not the reservation kind) with the red target-marker across their foreheads?

This rules... So hard.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm 

@Erosion; thou art welcome, fellow metal warrior :metal:

Never Stop Milk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm 

Buddy... unless you are in some sort of super liberal party college, at a metal concert, or by your self fapping to Cannibal Corpses artwork, I suggest that you do not wear 'demon entrails' in public. I remember in my youth I grew up in a very conservative town and because I was wearing my God Hates Us All shirt, not only does it restrict you from getting a decent job and the good looking girls, it also get's you beat up and a little extra sauce you never ordered on your bacon ceeseburger *shudders*.

My advice (technically my departed metal mentor's advice): Where the regular suit and tie and make a lot of money so that in the evenings you can not only WEAR the C.F. shirts but also afford to listen to them on original vinyl! Now THATS METAL !m!, Wish you luck with the hormones. God, puberty was terrible!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:40 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
People will always judge you, but there are times when that matters and times when it doesn't. Act accordingly.

Spot on. :)

Never Stop Milk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:43 pm 

@ Grave Wyrm.
That shirt = in my cart! Perfect

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:52 pm 

'because I was wearing my God Hates Us All shirt, not only does it restrict you from getting a decent job and the good looking girls, it also get's you beat up and a little extra sauce you never ordered on your bacon ceeseburger *shudders*' - Never Stop Milk

Dude... this is so true. And a little depressing.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 pm 

Replying to yourself with another account is sockpuppetry...and pretty damn stupid.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 pm 

haha! Man. teenagers eh?

I guess one way to look at it is that no one actually likes shock value when they're the ones who are shocked, and why should they?

A simple analogy would be, I dunno, imagine someone cruising around with a picture of dio getting anally raped and a "GLAD DIO DIED OF CANCER" in huge letters on the back of the shirt. It'd right piss you off, wouldn't it? It'd piss me off and I don't even like Dio that much. So have a little bit of empathy and stop wearing your demon entrails shirt around your grandmother or whatever, and move on with your life.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 pm 

When I was younger I tried getting attention and looks from people by wearing my Iron Maiden shirt that had '666' written on it. I was super hardcore.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
3) Ten bucks says OP is metaldiscussor666

No way I'm betting against that! :P

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 pm 

Oh god, I missed that :( This semester really needs to end :ugh:

Until next time metaldiscussor!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2