Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 am 

Hello, I am really low on budget, I've found this one use for about half of its original price
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... ric-guitar
What do you guys think about it ?
Edit: After searching more and asking more people I found out that this guitar is worth buying, but again, pick ups are Ibanez stock so I need to replace them, any cheap options that gives high gain and good for metal ? (I don't really care for its clean tone as long as its good with distortion).

Last edited by Nightwisher1990 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 am 

Good and simple guitar. If it's in good condition and without faults, I would get it.

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:51 am 

I have that one. If the frets are still in good shape, it can last you a really long time.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 am 

Thanks I guess I am buying it, it's in a good condition, what pick ups should I buy for it ? I need a good gain pick ups, but kinda cheap, for metal, no need to be super good for clean, just anything good with distortion.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:44 am 

My go-to for a cheap pickup is a used DiMarzio Super Distortion. You're not going to get much of a treble crunch out of it with a mahogany body, but it'll be a nice, thick tone that's great for rhythm playing. That might actually be best suited for what you're doing, as I remember you had some heavy rhythm parts tuned to B with synths occupying the high end.

I would just replace the bridge pickup. Shouldn't be too expensive that way, especially if you can find a used Super D, though I'm not sure how shipping costs and availability of gear will be for you. It's a damn good pickup anyway.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 am 

Don't go changing the pickups just yet. Play around, you might like the tone as it is.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am 

I see, I'll try them as they are first, maybe raise them higher to see how the tone will change. Then decide how stuff go, and yeah, my stuff were tuned to B with Synth on high end, for new stuff I am playing only in E, I might change that with that new guitar.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 am 

Stock IFN pickups are rarely good enough for anything, but if practising or simple recordings is all you're gonna be doing with it, then they'll work fine.

If you HAVE to change the pickups, I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan Invader or JB. Compared to most other passive pickups I find they let a lot of your picking dynamics shine through.

Reply to topic