Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm 

I see a lot of people, mostly while arguing over proof of release in the rejected bands thread, bring up the fact that numerous bands in the database have no entered discography (take Ragged, for example). Now, I'm no stranger here; I know that these bands came with proof that got them accepted, and most of them are old and obscure releases that no one has info on. What I would suggest is, when possible, making visible what evidence may be in the submission notes that gives some info on the band. A good example of this is Satan's Penis, whose page has a link for their appearance in an issue of Kick*Ass detailing the band's sound and releases.

I know this may not be possible for all of these bands, but it would both give more info on these obscure groups and their releases, while potentially cutting down on the whiny posts about it in the Rejected Bands thread.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:39 am 

It's not a bad idea, and as you mentioned yourself, it's already present at a few profiles. But unfortunately we haven't kept the add. submission info on any bands accepted before v2. So, it would be digging up all that information again, which might be impossible. Back then we didn't really consider keeping that information, because the purpose of the add. info had had its effect once we had checked it and either accepted or rejected the band.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:03 pm 

That is a bit unfortunate. It was worth a shot, though.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 pm 

Well, it's not impossible, but it's up to the contributers of MA to add the info just as with anything else around here. If people care to scan their old zines and such, upload to image hosts and add links, it's very welcome.

When bands were added in V1, the add. submission info was added in reports, and once those reports were closed, the information was gone too, and no log (as in v2) was kept.

Even if we had kept the links from said reports, most of them would have been dead by now, because the biggest problem is the impermanence of internet. Many online sources from 10 years ago are gone by now and many of the obscure bands were added by linking to official band homepages (how many of those are left today?), old myspace (had much more info than present day myspace), distros, blogs, online zines, ebay auctions, discussions in forum threads, trade and salelists, scene reports, reviews, flyers etc. All sources that has shown not to last. Even scans uploaded at image hosts will dissappear over time unless someone take care of them.

Reply to topic