* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am 

NARAKU666 wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
In Flames released another piece of artwork...

Spoiler: show

Goliath Disarm Their Davids?

Isn't that a clay man?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
First off: Manowar condoms, that's awesome and if I still needed condoms I would totally buy those. As for the comic book it sounds incredibly stupid and like another way for them to just cash in on being a crappy "modern metal" band. I seriously hope it isn't cause then I will lose the shred of respect I have left for them.

oh i agree completely man. the manowar condoms are hilarious. i just haven't bought any personally because they're BLACK, and ever had to explain to a non-metalhead girl that you only have one condom left and it's black? that shit sucks, haha.

but i do think you're making a mistake in wondering if in flames is going the "cash in on being a crappy modern metal band" route... they've already been THE quintessential crappy modern metal band since... shit, 2003 or so? whenever the album after clayman came out.

side anecdote i always like to mention: i saw in flames live at wacken 2007, and anders introduced a song from the jester race as "from back when we were a shit band". when the crowd all hissed and booed, he said something to the tune of "oh come on, we were shit and you all know it!" and as far as i can tell, there was no tongue-in-cheek going on...

Marxious
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm 

Maybe a double album? The band has had close relations with compatriots Soilwork in the past and Soilwork released a generally well-received double album earlier this year. In Flames could do something where one album was done in the more classical melodeath style and the other more like what they've done recently.

Either that or they might do a two-set tour by themselves.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 pm 

Those are really cool looking images, I was listening to December Flower and the solo is still magical for me. :love:
I'm not expecting anything actually good, but I've enjoyed some of their recent work.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:16 am 

Marxious wrote:
Maybe a double album? The band has had close relations with compatriots Soilwork in the past and Soilwork released a generally well-received double album earlier this year. In Flames could do something where one album was done in the more classical melodeath style and the other more like what they've done recently.

Either that or they might do a two-set tour by themselves.

That could be, and by the way I should listen to Soilwork´s new album if it is receiving good reviews, I am too lazy in relation to double albums hahaha. :D

If a comic can be defined as ridiculous I don’t know which expression to use with Manowar´s condoms, this band is sometimes a joke.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:54 am 

Soilwork's newest is actually strong enough to justify being a double album, in my opinion. There's precious little on that record I'd cut.

But an In Flames double album? I believe that's what they call "a big IF".
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:55 am 

Anders collaborated/produced the last two Caliban albums if my memory is correct, Caliban have been on hiatus since 2011 so it could be something related to that?

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 am 

Turner wrote:
side anecdote i always like to mention: i saw in flames live at wacken 2007, and anders introduced a song from the jester race as "from back when we were a shit band". when the crowd all hissed and booed, he said something to the tune of "oh come on, we were shit and you all know it!" and as far as i can tell, there was no tongue-in-cheek going on...

Link, or it didn't happen.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:10 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Turner wrote:

Link, or it didn't happen.

I do remember that anecdote from a few years back on this forum.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm 

Maybe they will release a best of they have enough albums for it to be possible

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:53 pm 

This band used to be so great. Glad I saw them live before they changed completely.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 pm 

In Flames posted today that this guy has a name: Lord Hypnos
Spoiler: show

So, it's not a connection to Sounds of a Playground Fading (despite several similarities), but rather The Jester Race.

They've been running a contest where they would provide clues to various things, but the answer to the riddle won't be known until all the clues are revealed and the first person to get the answer right wins a guitar amp that the band had used.

The first clue were latitude and longitude coordinates for a Thai massage parlor in Gothenburg. The second clue were a series of binary numbers that some people thought were guitar tabs. lol - but they translated to this phrase: "No air to breathe and only darkness to travel through"

The third clue was a link to this article: http://www.space.com/19323-mona-lisa-mo ... photo.html
The fourth clue was a link to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:56 pm 

Turning Japanese? That could be a reference to The Tokyo Showdown live album. The Mona Lisa thing could be a reference to Lunar Strain, and that also ties to the phrase "No air to breathe and only darkness to travel through" because they obviously mean space.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 pm 

Well I'll certainly give In Flames this, their publicity stunt is really intriguing and actually kind of fun. Way better than say a dildo and butt plug set...

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 pm 

My guess is that they are gonna record a studio album with stuff frome their earlier catalogue.

Count_Venereal wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
WASP on the Supreme Court right now!

I will vote for whoever makes this happen.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:48 am 

Well I'll certainly give In Flames this, their publicity stunt is really intriguing and actually kind of fun. Way better than say a dildo and butt plug set...

Its a very well done marketing campaign, I don’t what is going to come but they are doing a great (and original) work to catch some attention.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 am 

Been an IF fan for several years now (In 1999 i listened Whoracle for the first time) and i even liked Sounds of a Fading Playground, but in the name of all good and sacred in this world i hope the band don't dare to release an album with new versions of old songs from their glorious era (Lunar Strain - Colony).

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:21 am 

Not sure about the In Flames clues and whatnot, though I found a nice acoustic medley on youtube, for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hqEjn4D0wg

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 am 

I saw a recent gig on youtube where he said something along the lines of "this song is from The Jester Race and if you dont have that album you're fucking stupid"

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I saw a recent gig on youtube where he said something along the lines of "this song is from The Jester Race and if you dont have that album you're fucking stupid"

Haha, so now all of a sudden they're embracing their older stuff? Not that long ago they acted like their newer stuff was far superior and they didn't understand how fans wanted them to go back to their older sound. :durr:

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 am 

*Plays only post-Clayman material, chastises fans for not enjoying pre-Reroute to Remain material*

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:44 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Turning Japanese? That could be a reference to The Tokyo Showdown live album. The Mona Lisa thing could be a reference to Lunar Strain, and that also ties to the phrase "No air to breathe and only darkness to travel through" because they obviously mean space.

Hmmmmm....a rerecording of tracks from The Tokyo Showdown?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm 

LifeDemise wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Hmmmmm....a rerecording of tracks from The Tokyo Showdown?

If anyone could make a more boring/crappy live album of good material than The Tokyo Showdown, it's In Flames in 2013. This is actually a great way to promote the band to people who aren't highly interested and those who hate their newer material because some of the things that they seem to be teasing make St. Anger look like "Soundtrack to Your Escape"

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:53 pm 

Clue number 5 seems to be a math problem that adds up to 666.6, while clue number 6 is the phrase "Why so sirius?" that links to a video of Led Zeppelin performing Communication Breakdown.

In Flames also posted that they'll reveal whatever it is they've been teasing by the end of the month.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:30 pm 

Sirius is an obvious throw to space themes and I'm gonna guess that the math problem eludes to Whoracle as well as one of the drawings if I remember correctly. So my official guess is that they are going to release a greatest hits only re-recorded, just like Arch Enemy did with The Root of All Evil in which case all I have to say is lame :thumbsdown:

Azmodes wrote:

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 pm 

Sirius is an obvious throw to space themes and I'm gonna guess that the math problem eludes to Whoracle as well as one of the drawings if I remember correctly. So my official guess is that they are going to release a greatest hits only re-recorded, just like Arch Enemy did with The Root of All Evil in which case all I have to say is lame :thumbsdown:

The artworks would certainly fit with what you are guessing. They'll do a retrospective of some kind, though it's also likely that they could reissue their past albums with remastered sound and new artwork, maybe all included in a boxset like Strapping Young Lad. Maybe even a tour (which would fit with the Tokyo Showdown clue).

I'd still prefer if they went the same route as Soilwork and released some kickass new material that recognized all of the band's eras, though Soilwork had a precedent for that in The Panic Broadcast, while the only precedent I can think for In Flames would be the song "A New Dawn".

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 am 

For a bit I was thinking maybe some reissues but they already reissued all their old albums a little while ago. But a box set with artwork and posters and stuff? That could be cool depending on what albums and how much it's going for.

Azmodes wrote:

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm 

The final clue is a picture of an astronaut on the moon with the Jesterhead logo on his helmet.

It's looking to be something related to a retrospective of some kind, but a lot of the clues have been space themed.

They'll announce the winner of this contest on the 15th, which is probably when they'll say what these clues were supposed to mean.

It seems likely it relates to whatever they have been teasing, but a lot of the clues have related to either space or Asia. The teasers on the other hand have related to mainly The Jester Race and Whoracle.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 pm 

Box-set.

Boom.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:15 pm 

It was finally revealed what the teasers and the contest were all about today -

In Flames is releasing a comic book called "The Jester's Curse"

The first book is called "Lunar Strain: Part 1"

They premiered this news with the music video for Ropes.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/world ... omic-book/

I have to be honest - the video is pretty cool! It doesn't feature the band, but instead is pieced together from hundreds of fan-made videos.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
In Flames is releasing a comic book called "The Jester's Curse"

OH! OH FUCKING NAILED IT!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:24 pm 

Well that fucking sucks.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:22 pm 

Ropes is taken from the melodic death metal heavyweights’ latest opus, Sounds Of A Playground Fading

Oh metalhammer, you silly goose.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 pm 

Well, at least is not an album with re-recorded versions of their classics

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm 

http://www.jesterscurse.com/

Info about the characters/story plus a little preview.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm 

They should stop focusing on making some comic and start making some good music.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

I always wonder why they decide to start play "modern metal" instead of melodic death metal. Heck if they were going to stop playing that, I think it would make alittle more sense to start playing power metal or something like that if they didn't want to do harsh vocals anymore.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 pm 

That'd still be making vocal-centric music with Anders Friden singing. They would have lost that battle regardless.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 pm 

Peroy wrote:
XcKyle93 wrote:
Just curious, I haven't heard A Sense of Purpose or whatever-the-hell their latest album is called. Despite the backlash amongst metalheads, I've actually enjoyed everything up to and including Come Clarity (though for some reason I could never get into Clayman). How do their latest two efforts compare in terms of sound and quality? And when I say compare, I mean compared to their post-Clayman efforts.

A Sense of Purpose is good... I'd even go asfar and say it's one of their overall better albums. Playground... is mediocre and a disapointment, but it's in no way awful.

My personal preferences post the Clayman cutoff point go towards Reroute and Purpose, and Soundtrack has its moments imo... if that helps...

Playground is absolutely awful. A Sense Of Purpose was surprisingly strong, in my eyes, but Playground was absolutely terrible.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm 

My first reaction to this was "If you could get someone to write a comic book, why don't you get someone to write your lyrics?", but after checking the page I'm a bit more partial to this. It's kind of nice to see they are referencing stuff from their 90's era. It could be cool if they worked those lyrics into the storyline.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next