Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
For anyone who rides a bike on the street in suburbia:

1) Can you please explain to me why riding on the street is preferable to riding on the sidewalk? The sidewalk is usually pedestrian-free and is better lit, cleaner and better maintained with fewer potholes, etc. so seems like a better alternative to riding in the actual street.

2) Fuck you.

It is illegal here, but I do it anyway as it is safer than being on the road with all you hotheaded gas guzzlers :-P

Being on the road doesn't bother me, I can go around you. Being in the MIDDLE of the fucking road and thinking that traffic signals and basic road etiquette don't apply to you because you're not on a motorized vehicle makes you the spawn of fucking Satan.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm 

Well, I gave a listen to the two albums I originally decided on and enjoyed them enough to check out other material by the bands. I did enjoy Deep Purple noticeably more than Led Zeppelin, though. My favourite songs from both albums (IV and Machine Head) were Misty Mountain Hop and Space Truckin' respectively. Cheers for all the recommendations and discussion though, should help in decided what to listen to next and in what order.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Well, I gave a listen to the two albums I originally decided on and enjoyed them enough to check out other material by the bands. I did enjoy Deep Purple noticeably more than Led Zeppelin, though. My favourite songs from both albums (IV and Machine Head) were Misty Mountain Hop and Space Truckin' respectively. Cheers for all the recommendations and discussion though, should help in decided what to listen to next and in what order.

In my opinion both those bands have a ton of good material so it will be hard to find something you won't like.

Houses of the Holy is my favorite Zed Lepplin album. Quite a wonderful band and I heard they are going to tour or something. I'm sure all the rich kids who have heard Stairway to Heaven will be going.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:07 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Being on the road doesn't bother me, I can go around you. Being in the MIDDLE of the fucking road and thinking that traffic signals and basic road etiquette don't apply to you because you're not on a motorized vehicle makes you the spawn of fucking Satan.

That happens a lot here, but more so with people on electric bikes, or those limited speed scooters, and think they are in fact on a motorcycle. My city has ample bike lanes so its usually a friendly coexistence all in all.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm 

I much prefer to ride my bike in the street as opposed to the sidewalk because all those crack in the sidewalk make for a bumpy ass ride plus riding in the street is actually way faster. Now I do obey all regular traffic laws and ride on the side so people can get around me. I hate it when ass holes on bikes don't follow the rules too then get mad when you almost hit them after they blew right through a red light.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm 

I see Stairway to Heaven is one of the band's more popular songs. I have to admit, it didn't really make much of an impression on me when I heard it, but I've only listened to the album once, so maybe more repeated listens is required for me to understand its magic.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
That happens a lot here, but more so with people on electric bikes, or those limited speed scooters, and think they are in fact on a motorcycle. My city has ample bike lanes so its usually a friendly coexistence all in all.

We have bicycle riders on 80k/h roads, where sometimes you have no choice but to crawl along until they turn while dickheads beep and tailgate you because you slow down for them. To say they're are a distraction is an under statement.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 pm 

It seems logical to me that if you cannot physically go the speed limit, don't be on that road (on the shoulder or something is a different story). That's why we don't let tractors go wherever the fuck they please outside of country roads. You bike riding types aren't special.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 pm 

It's worse when there is an entire goddamn convoy of then. All one after the other, taking up the WHOLE lane.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 pm 

Relevant. Glad I am not the only one who hates cyclists.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 pm 

Is there any chance I'm not the only one here who never learned how to ride a bike?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 pm 

How is it that there's no band on the archives called Hivemind? Can I call dibs?

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Is there any chance I'm not the only one here who never learned how to ride a bike?

You are not alone. I too have never learned to ride a bike. Though I drive a car pretty well.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 pm 

Crick wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

You are not alone. I too have never learned to ride a bike. Though I drive a car pretty well.

Haven't learned how to drive a car either, but will soon. Shouldn't be too hard, me thinks.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 pm 

Driving is relatively simple, just pay attention so you dont fuck up other people (I see someone make serious mistakes almost every day I drive somehow, and I've been cut off by someone and ended up bumping their car).
Hehe, foreskins.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 pm 

If you don't share the road, you're being a dick no matter what conveyance you're operating.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Haven't learned how to drive a car either, but will soon. Shouldn't be too hard, me thinks.

You aren't alone. I just got my permit today. Under the new laws my state introduced at the start of the year, anyone over 18 that doesn't already have a license has to have a permit for at least 3 months before doing a license test.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 pm 

Driving is like playing a videogame, only you get points for not hitting pedestrians, hehe. Once you pick it up it becomes second nature ;)

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

Tell that to the drivers in my town. :ugh:
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm 

Crick wrote:
Tell that to the drivers in my town. :ugh:

Ugh tell me about. Today I was almost clipped not once, but twice by the same driver. Two intersections in a row, she looked like she was a very young driver and had probably taken her mothers car out for a joy ride. Don't even get me started on what happens when it actually rains here. People seem to loose every ounce of common sense.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 pm 

lol, rain. Snow is worse. I passed two wrecks on the highway one night, one not more than maybe 15 seconds down the road from the first.

As for general stupidity, today after parking my car in my apartment parking lot, I saw a guy pass by on a motorcycle and nearly get creamed by a guy backing out of his space too fast. Generally I back in wherever I go if possible, but shit, if you're gonna pull in at least look when its time to leave.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 pm 

Oh god. If it snowed here, I don't think I could imagine the amount of vehicular based destruction which would occur.

Remember I live out in the desert, rain is a pretty scarce phenomenon here.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm 

I am hooked on doom. I cannot get enough of the stuff. Diggin' the fuck out of Eternal Elysium and Electric Wizard so hard. Also, a kick-ass rock band called Marmalade is really vibing with me lately. Definitely has a similar fee. That is all.

Also, it's my birthday today, weee! Another year older, and an inch closer to the grave! I can't wait! <3 <3 <3

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm 

Happy birthday (tomorrow)! Hope you have a good one.

Last edited by hey on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm 

Happy birthday, Gelseth! :beer:

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm 

Thanks guys!! Off to go celebrate with some ::angry Japan voice:: KARAOKE!!!!!!!! Y'all have a good night.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 pm 

Hmm, didn't expect to see so much anti-bicyclist sympathy. If we had more bike lanes, that would be great and all. I'm not talking about people cycling to work to save the planet, either. Just suburban white guys on thousand-dollar bikes rocking spandex and riding at a quarter the speed limit with a huge line of cars behind them, with a really nice footpath with no one walking on it a few feet to their right. Just seems incredibly dumb to me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 pm 

I prefer to ride a bike myself, it's just too damn hot here. Also, I've never met a more uptight breed of yuppie than those who wear those awful cycling outfits.

And besides, you can't joust in a car.

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:14 pm 

Well, my car has air conditioning, so its how I beat the heat.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:15 pm 

My jeep's ac doesn't work :( I suppose I should restate that and say "I would rather ride a bike, but it's too hot to do that here."

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:19 pm 

It happened... My Zune finally broke. I've dreaded this day, but I knew it would come. Fuck.

So I had to get a replacement, and either I got one off of eBay and risked dealing with dishonest sellers, or I find something out in retail.

So I got an iPod classic 160GB. It's an upgrade over the Zune, size wise, it's slightly smaller physically, the controls are fairly intuitive and simple. The downside is having to install iTunes, but most of the pain in the ass is over. Now it's just a matter of filling the damn thing!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 pm 

Make sure you dont get a new computer any time soon. Transferring your iTunes library IS possible, but a big pain in the ass and also often glitchy.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 pm 

If you don't like iTunes, Goatfangs, Foobar2k has an iPod plug in that's fairly simple to use. You still need iTunes for it to work, though but that doesn't have to be running.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It seems logical to me that if you cannot physically go the speed limit, don't be on that road (on the shoulder or something is a different story). That's why we don't let tractors go wherever the fuck they please outside of country roads. You bike riding types aren't special.

One day I'd love to get in front of a bunch of cyclists and slow down to 10km/hr just to see how they like it.

Having said that I actually ride a bicycle everywhere 'cos I've lost my license til mid november. I stick to footpaths and all that though. Cyclists always annoyed the shit out of me so I try not to be a hypocrite

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
How is it that there's no band on the archives called Hivemind? Can I call dibs?

It's all yours. Just make sure that the music made will be like a shitty mixture of Fear factory and Meshuggah nonsense, and you have the perfect band.

My collection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 pm 

Turner wrote:
Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Stairway to Heaven is awesome, what the hell is wrong with you people

oddly enough, i have absolutely zero interest in their other stuff (listened to it all just to be sure) but stairway to heaven i think is one of the best songs ever written. weird how one band can be at both ends of the spectrum, with almost nothing in between.

Basically this, though Achilles Last Stand, No Quarter, etc are all good. I just can't stand Robert Plant on most of what I've heard from them. Which to be fair, isn't that much compared to you guys, apparently.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 pm 

I just discovered Anathema's One Last Goodbye and cried like a little motherfucking girl...
It's just... Great to let those feelings out, but it might have been too soon...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 pm 

Glad you posted that. I was wondering how you were holding up. Funny how a person I don't know at all could cross my mind and make me wonder how he's doing. :)

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Glad you posted that. I was wondering how you were holding up. Funny how a person I don't know at all could cross my mind and make me wonder how he's doing. :)

It is, isn't it? It has happened to me several times on this site... Not that I care about any of you motherfuckers, but actually I do... :lol:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 am 

MA is not unlike a family. A big, weird, absurdly diverse, mostly anonymous, and in some cases, fucked up family. But a family nonetheless :-D

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 518  Next