Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:01 am 

Really liked Dystopia, can't wait for this!

Quote:

Horns Up brothers and sisters!

I just wanted to write to you on behalf of myself, and the band, to say thank you for the amazing growth that has been taking place on the Official Iced Earth Facebook Page. We have reached 300,000 likes in a very short time and there appears to be no end in sight.
Since we have this special occasion, I thought I might share some exclusive news with you guys, right here, straight from the source:

The new ICED EARTH studio album is expected to have an October 2013 release date. It will be titled “PLAGUES OF BABYLON” and we are very excited about how killer things are sounding this early in the writing/demo process. Below are some of the song titles that will appear on the album.

1.) Plagues of Babylon
2.) Democide
3.) Among The Living Dead
4.) The Resistance
5.) If I Could See You
6.) Peacemaker
7.) Cthulhu
8.) Parasite

I expect this album will be something very special!
Stay tuned to this page for breaking news about ICED EARTH’s mega-packed schedule and coming tour dates. You will hear it here first!

Thanks again for your continued support of the band! We love you guys!

Take care,

Jon Schaffer

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:18 am 

This should be an interesting release for Iced Earth. I'm hoping that Stu will have some creative input on here, not sure if he did with Dystopia or not, either way I'm hoping to hear Stu's full vocal range on this one. Definitely looking forward to hearing some samples when they get released.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am 

Dystopia was good! not sure if a return to form but a vast improvement over the previous 3 albums. I'll check this out for sure.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 am 

Oh this has made my day! Iced Earth is on a roll. I love the album title

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 am 

As always, I will be checking this out the day it releases.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 am 

Calling it right now. "If I Could See You" will be the album's ballad. The title is too sappy for it not to be.

Although a ballad called "Cthulhu" might be kind of awesome when you think about it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 am 

Subrick wrote:
Calling it right now. "If I Could See You" will be the album's ballad. The title is too sappy for it not to be.

Although a ballad called "Cthulhu" might be kind of awesome when you think about it.

Maybe "The Resistance" will be a ballad, like the reprise of "La Resistance" from the South Park movie.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 am 

Looking forward to this; Stu has revitalised the band a lot, and hopefully there won't be too much focus on Something Wicked related themes on this one; they've been done to death.

The fact it has only eight tracks suggests to me that it's going to have one which is really long; hopefully in the Travel in Stygian/When The Night Falls/etc tradition, although going on Dystopia, I'm expecting anything up to three "bonus tracks".

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 am 

Dystopia was a very solid album all in all, so yeah, this is fine by me. I seriously hope they use another production style this time around though, because Dystopia's was flat as hell.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am 

Good news! This is the first time in a while I'm looking forward to an Iced Earth album. I thought Dystopia was a solid album.

msalyers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am 

i had the opportunity to play on the same bill with these guys a looooooonnnnggg time ago! my band at the time was "osiris" just to the left of the iced earth logo. man! ....do i feel old now!

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am 

Dystopia was good, I'm pretty sure this will be worth the effort of buying it as well. I'm curious for Cthulhu, never expected Iced Earth to join the Lovecraft Fan Club.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Dystopia was good, I'm pretty sure this will be worth the effort of buying it as well. I'm curious for Cthulhu, never expected Iced Earth to join the Lovecraft Fan Club.

Schaffer is a fan of basically everything that metal fans usually like, so I think it was simply a matter of time :-D

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:17 pm 

Generic album and song titles, but that's par of the course for Iced Earth. Dystopia was in my top 3 IE albums (okay, there are ONLY three good IE albums) and it showed them sounding revitalized and fun for the first time in almost ever. I also hope we get to hear more of Stu's range, as the new Into Eternity sounds like it's just never going to come out.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

Maybe they'll actually speed things up for a change, Dystopia was a good change of pace even though Stu Block sucks as a vocalist. It had a little less filler than Framing Armageddon, maybe they'll get it right for once I hope so at least!

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
This should be an interesting release for Iced Earth. I'm hoping that Stu will have some creative input on here, not sure if he did with Dystopia or not, either way I'm hoping to hear Stu's full vocal range on this one. Definitely looking forward to hearing some samples when they get released.

Stu did write a ton of the lyrics on Dystopia so it wouldn't surprise me if he did use even more lyrics and a fuller extent of his range. Either way, Dystopia was awesome and the titles have me just as excited for this.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:27 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Looking forward to this; Stu has revitalised the band a lot".

Totally agree. Even when Matt came back in 2007/2008 the band still felt like they were going through the motions. All throughout the Tim Owens years I really just wanted Matt to come back. Then when he finally did come back and recorded a new album it was one big "meh".

Dystopia was easily the best stuff the band has done since 1998, in my opinion.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:48 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Dystopia was easily the best stuff the band has done since 2001, in my opinion.

Fixed that for you. :grr:

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Evoken wrote:
Dystopia was easily the best stuff the band has done since 2001, in my opinion.

Fixed that for you. :grr:

I never thought Horror Show was all that great. There were a few good songs on it, but as a whole I found it to be a disappointment. It was the start of the downhill slope the band started on around that time. But I will say I'd rather listen to Horrow Show than anything they released after that, up until Dystopia.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:41 am 

It'd be interesting to see how Stu Block compares to Matt Barlow or Ripper now that he's fully settled in Iced Earth. Quite looking forward to this actually.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm 

The new live DVD is a real testament to what Stu can do for the band, if you haven't checked it out yet; He manages to make tracks from Framing Armageddon sound good.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 pm 

I was initially put off by the first cut of Dystopia that was released from that show since Stu seemed to be really unnaturally low with his voice, as if he was trying even more live than on the record to do a Barlow impression. Then I heard a few more tracks from it and I was really impressed, particularly by Stormrider, Dante's Inferno, and, of all songs to impress me, fucking Declaration Day.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:13 pm 

Man, I don't see what fans are enjoying about Dystopia. I gave it another chance yesterday after reading this thread. The guitars are too low in the mix, there aren't enough solos (I miss Shawver :( ), the hooks in the choruses are so predictable and bland. There is no comparison between this and their first three. It doesn't even come close to anything up to and including "This Glorious Burden".

Stu Block is a good vocalist, but I just think Jon has forgotten what made people enjoy his band in the first place. As such I have very low expectations for "Plagues".

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:33 am 

novakm wrote:
Man, I don't see what fans are enjoying about Dystopia. I gave it another chance yesterday after reading this thread. The guitars are too low in the mix, there aren't enough solos (I miss Shawver :( ), the hooks in the choruses are so predictable and bland. There is no comparison between this and their first three. It doesn't even come close to anything up to and including "This Glorious Burden".

Stu Block is a good vocalist, but I just think Jon has forgotten what made people enjoy his band in the first place. As such I have very low expectations for "Plagues".

Fuck man, Shawver is underrated as hell, wonder what he's up to.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 am 

Dystopia was pretty cool as most here have stated, and I am willing to check out this new album.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ragman666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:03 am 

cant wait for the new album.jon is a rhythm guitar genuis. I laught at the discussion of the singers iced earth has had. Fact of the matter is jon has never had a bad singer in iced earth only class vocalists. To have started the band in the explosion of the death metal scene in the 90's in florida and to remain true to his vision of pure heavy metal is a testament to the man , hail to you jon .

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 am 

I've never understood why Jon is considered a particularly ingenious rhythm guitarist; Sure, a lot of the stuff sounds really enjoyable and chunky, but if I were to play triplets really fast with some spoons, that wouldn't make me a spoon genius.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:48 am 

The thing I like about him is that he's ridiculously tight and his right hand could do those gallops and down picking for what seems like forever without screwing up. I've never had too much of a problem with his riff recycling though.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 am 

ragman666 wrote:
Fact of the matter is jon has never had a bad singer in iced earth only class vocalists.

Gene Adam much?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I've never understood why Jon is considered a particularly ingenious rhythm guitarist; Sure, a lot of the stuff sounds really enjoyable and chunky, but if I were to play triplets really fast with some spoons, that wouldn't make me a spoon genius.

It's not just what he plays but how he plays it. He's one of the tightest metal guitarists alive, and while the speed alone is already impressive, the clarity and attack of each individual note is unmatched by 95% of thrash/death metal guitarists. He's just as impressive a riffer as Mille Petrozza or Pat O'Brien. Listen to him play Pure Evil live, James Hetfield couldn't do that if his life depended on it. Makes Battery and Disposable Heroes look like kindergarten singalongs.

And it's not just triplets. If you've ever sat down to learn a few Iced Earth songs, many of the fast triplet parts have a lot of downpicking and alternate picking in between the galloping patterns.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
ragman666 wrote:
Fact of the matter is jon has never had a bad singer in iced earth only class vocalists.

Gene Adam much?

B...but he was a good singer...

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 am 

Great news! Looking forward to this one. Dystopia was really cool, so I'm eager to see what comes next.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Reply to topic