Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 am 

I'm a fan too. Some of you may know this but have you seen Mortal Kombat Legacy? It was done by Machinima. You can watch the entire movie/collection here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6F0E167923796F5C

Legacy II is slated to come out sometime this year.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Caught the end of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation on tv. Yeah, the dialog/everything is terrible but HOLY SHIT the CGI is bad. Liu Kang turns into a dragon out of nowhere and it looks baaaaddd.

Worse than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdol1dMEtMY&t=01m08s

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
The Tim Burton remake [of Willy Wonka] however... :nono:

This is a true story: I was (kinda) dating this one girl a few years back, and one of the common things I would pick on her for was that she had a horrid taste/history with movies. The day I learned she'd never seen Jurassic Park, I almost returned her birthday gift in a fit of bewildered rage. One day, she and I were out eating (she had a friend of hers tag along), and the three of us were discussing something assuredly pointless, and I somehow fit in a reference or quote to Willy Wonka into my diatribe. She kind of tilted her head at me like how a puppy does when it sees something new, which A) I think is one of the most adorable things ever and B) was a clear signal that shit was about to get real. When I rolled my eyes and explained the source of whatever I said, she just said something to the effect of "Wha... the old one or the Tim Burton one?". After picking up my jaw from the floor, I asked her if she'd even seen the original. She said she had, but didn't like it and much preferred the remake. I asked her how in the great green hell she could possibly feel that way, considering the remake is inferior in almost every imaginable way, particularly the fact that Wilder is four times the Wonka that Depp could ever be. She just kind of shrugged and said that she'd seen the remake first and so that's why she thought it was better. Her friend chimed in at this point with "Oh well in that case that makes sense, I understand". Dumbstruck and speechless, I headbutt her in the tit and walked out of McDonalds. The End.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 pm 

^ I believe that's what they call a "deal breaker."
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm 

Zelkiiro: yes, actually. Much worst.

Bastardhead: Considering it's one of ten movies you've seen, I can understand why you feel so strongly :wink:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
The Tim Burton remake [of Willy Wonka] however... :nono:

This is a true story: I was (kinda) dating this one girl a few years back, and one of the common things I would pick on her for was that she had a horrid taste/history with movies. The day I learned she'd never seen Jurassic Park, I almost returned her birthday gift in a fit of bewildered rage. One day, she and I were out eating (she had a friend of hers tag along), and the three of us were discussing something assuredly pointless, and I somehow fit in a reference or quote to Willy Wonka into my diatribe. She kind of tilted her head at me like how a puppy does when it sees something new, which A) I think is one of the most adorable things ever and B) was a clear signal that shit was about to get real. When I rolled my eyes and explained the source of whatever I said, she just said something to the effect of "Wha... the old one or the Tim Burton one?". After picking up my jaw from the floor, I asked her if she'd even seen the original. She said she had, but didn't like it and much preferred the remake. I asked her how in the great green hell she could possibly feel that way, considering the remake is inferior in almost every imaginable way, particularly the fact that Wilder is four times the Wonka that Depp could ever be. She just kind of shrugged and said that she'd seen the remake first and so that's why she thought it was better. Her friend chimed in at this point with "Oh well in that case that makes sense, I understand". Dumbstruck and speechless, I headbutt her in the tit and walked out of McDonalds. The End.

I'm sure you're exaggerating, but this still makes you sound like a colossal douche. I saw Jurassic Park in the theater when it came out, and I prefer the original Willy Wonka too, but c'mon bro.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I'm sure you're exaggerating, but this still makes you sound like a colossal douche. I saw Jurassic Park in the theater when it came out, and I prefer the original Willy Wonka too, but c'mon bro.

It's obviously a macho story to impress the kids. Because he's a cut and paste douchebag.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:10 pm 

He's a Navy Veteran. There's a difference.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

"You need to have the same pop culture references I have!!!!!!!!"

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:15 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
"You need to have the same pop culture references I have!!!!!!!!"

#xxxYOLOSWAGDADDY4/20xxx

But I digress.

Besides the Chocolate Factory, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstien what other good movies was Gene in?

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Caught the end of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation on tv. Yeah, the dialog/everything is terrible but HOLY SHIT the CGI is bad. Liu Kang turns into a dragon out of nowhere and it looks baaaaddd.

Worse than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdol1dMEtMY&t=01m08s

How about the dragonball evolution movie? I saw that with some friends and the gaurds actually had to come in and tell people to be quiet because they were making fun of it too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYAIEtS_DQw

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm 

I haven't seen either chocolate wonkary and I'm not planning to. One of my best friends hasn't seen the original Star Wars trilogy and I have yet to headbutt her bosom for it. There's always gonna be some pop cultural gap someone has that seems utterly unbelievable to others, it happens. No need to be annoying about it. There's no compulsory list of works one just has to be familiar with, watch what you like and/or are interested in.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm 

Dragon Ball Evolution has Goku GOING TO SCHOOL... Enough said.

What the fuck where they thinking!?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:24 pm 

Did everybody's panties really get in an uproar over that? Good lord the point was that the Tim Burton remake was shit. Y'all're a tough crowd.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Oh, well I didn't know he was a navy vet. Headbutting a woman in a MacDonalds (presumably in front of a bunch of children) is totally acceptable behaviour then. Nothing strikes fear in to the heart of Islam like their proudest performing domestic violence due to her preference of Johnny Depp over Gene Wilder as Wonka.

Unless he's full of shit. Either way. He's about as funny as meningitis.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Who's a navy vet? BH? Whaaa?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm 

He was, but then Jack Nicholson had to bring him to prison.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:44 pm 

He never went through basic training, therefore he isn't a vet. But anyway, most remakes stinking, yes!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
He never went through basic training, therefore he isn't a vet. But anyway, most remakes stinking, yes!

Ha! Try again! It starts the instant I was sworn in, and thus I do have to put that I'm a veteran on all future job applications and whatnot, otherwise it'll show up on my background checks and I get shafted. But the government doesn't owe me shit. Shafted all around!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Did everybody's panties really get in an uproar over that? Good lord the point was that the Tim Burton remake was shit. Y'all're a tough crowd.

Color me stupid, but it looks like you were talking more about how much better your taste is than hers and how she should be hit and walked out on, rejected and berated for not being cool enough for you. I hope you apologized at some point, but I doubt you think she deserves that kind of thing.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm 

DISCLAIMER: THAT STORY WAS OBVIOUSLY BULLSHIT. I NEVER HEADBUTT A WOMAN OVER HER TASTE IN MOVIES. I TRIED MAKING A JOKE ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE THE TIM BURTON REMAKE AND HOW I CAN NOT FATHOM ANYBODY PREFERRING IT OVER THE ORIGINAL. THE JOKE BOMBED. THE END.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

Yeah, I thought their reaction was rather odd. Obviously just expressing you passion for the movie in a slightly exaggerated way but everyone went on the defensive of that girl, and from what I gathered you only disagreed with her and rolled your eyes. I personally didn't think it was funny (not my type of humour), I just read it and moved on, didn't think it warranted name calling or a collection of disapproving posts.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm 

The internet white knights lurk the movie thread.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm 

This is how you're spending the 400th page of the thread, guys? Really?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The internet white knights lurk the movie thread.

Yes because it couldn't simply be my reaction, I must have an ulterior motive. :roll:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 pm 

I was referring to what you said, not your reaction (which was the same as mine). I think that much was pretty clear.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:10 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
That's a great movie. it's very much like a stage play to my mind, which is I think a good part of what makes it such an electrifying watch...the performances are very well judged. I happened to watch this shortly after reading Crime and PUnishment though and I noticed many lines in the film are lifted verbatim from dialogue in the novel...I guess its'a fitting tribute, though.

Now that you mention it, yeah, it (Rope) does seem pretty much like a stage play and is apparently based on one. Well, Crime and Punishment I'm pretty sure was a major influence on it. I mean, the film (or play) was obviously inspired by Raskolnikov as well as Nietzsche.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:18 am 

BH: I'm of course aware that the story had a good helping of extra Maddox sauce. The core truth I could extract from it was not head-against-tit violence, but needless theatrics about a difference of opinion/a gap in pop cultural knowledge. Dunno, I've seen stuff like that before and it annoys me greatly when people get all worked up over these things. Hell, I am/was guilty of it myself sometimes and I often see how it irritates people, so I try not to act like a raging fanboy. But I'm more referring to the "OMG YOU'VE NEVER WATCHED/READ/HEARD XYZ?!?!?" side of things, doesn't seem to really apply here anyway. So I misinterpreted your story, maybe the delivery made some of the less obvious hyperbole seem part of the real thing. I wasn't there, but that's what I got from it.

:roll: @ people starting with the white knight crap. This reactionary bullcrap goes both ways, you know.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am 

I personally feel she deserved a headbutt to the tit... the remake was that bad.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:10 pm 

Just rewatched Starship Troopers again. What an awesome fucking film (matter of fact, not debatable).

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:00 am 

'Marwencol' - be sure to visit the photo gallery on the movie's website. Available to stream on Netflix.

"After being beaten into a brain-damaging coma by five men outside a bar, Mark builds a 1/6th scale World War II-era town in his backyard. Mark populates the town he dubs 'Marwencol' with dolls representing his friends and family and creates life-like photographs detailing the town's many relationships and dramas. Playing in the town and photographing the action helps Mark to recover his hand-eye coordination and deal with the psychic wounds of the attack."

It's a really good documentary.

His right frontal lobe was damaged quite badly and the surgeons had to reconstruct his face. He looks pretty normal, considering. He was 38 years old. When his Medicaid ran out he was sent home from the hospital to be tended by his mom. His memory was completely gone and it took over five years to be acceptably socially functional again, having to start from scratch and relearn speech, motor skills, ability to write, etc. Once he was functional he moved into an apartment nearby, and since he was making progress and had enough capacities to fend for himself, essentially, he was able to invent his own therapies, since the beating hadn't robbed him of his imagination. He started building Marwencol out of random scraps of material and action figures so as to practice motor skills, but soon it became a world of its own, in a way.

The town of Marwencol has a bizarre transference that isn't art. He was a visual artist before the assault (a good one as you can see from the work in his journals kept before the attack) so there's an artist in him somewhere, but when he woke up from the coma he didn't know how to do any of that. I guess his nature had its way and he started the building of Marwencol to practice motor skills. But his thought process worked very differently after the damage, and his practical hobby eventually took on a cathartic nature. He'd make up stories and arrange hobby-shop dolls in realistic scenarios within his fantastic town, taking pictures to act them out. I suppose he started taking pictures of them because the memories which surfaced from his damaged brain did so in still shots. He took thousands of pictures, not one of them with the ironic or self-conscious tones a person with an intact brain would have difficulty avoiding.

The logic of his fantasy world is an unpredictable mixture of knowing the difference between the real world and the fantasy one, and knowing enough about both to work through things, but it's a fickle sense of reality; as if he's almost in two places at once. As time goes on, he becomes more and more functional, the worlds become more clearly separate, but his imagination is still his preferred world because he's irreparably damaged and unable to ultimately overcome the PTSD from the attack. He's safe in Marwencol.

The movie involves the town of Marwencol as much as it does Mark himself, and uses stop-motion-animations that Mark set up himself, telling personal stories along the way. The interaction of the sane and intact inhabitants of both his small town of Kensington, NY and the big city he eventually visits is a disorienting thing to see. By the time he gets to New York City, the story has been told so well that it's almost easy to forget it was ever an alien, disrupted, and adult/childish place, and it's almost hard to relate to the people who find him bewildering.

It's impossible to see the subtleties of brain damage on the outside unless they're starkly obvious. The function of the brain is an amazing thing, and Mark is an odd and endearing mixture of the man he was, perhaps more of the man he wished he'd always been. Kinder, sober, more at peace with himself, even though he's paranoid and arranging a private, vulnerable, and uniquely realistic fantasy world to help himself cope with his permanent trauma.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 pm 

oh my God Bringing out the Dead was fantastic - an excellent portrayal of madness, depression, detachment, wonderfully directed and shot and Nic Cage is fucking untouchable. Haters be damned this movie was a diamond.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:26 pm 

Yeah, I was talking about it a few pages back and nobody agreed. It's one of the best movies he's been in, with a really controlled performance and fever dream atmosphere.

Saw Heavy Metal (1981) drunk yesterday and it made zero sense.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

I think controlled fever dream can best describe Nic Cage as a whole.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm 

Platoon - I meant to watch this one a while ago, after I first saw Apocalypse Now. I wouldn't put this movie on quite the same level as that one, but it is nevertheless a very effective and depressing Vietnam film. It paints a deft portrait of the lows to which human beings can sink in such extraordinary circumstances, but it also shows some of the strength the human spirit can possess. Recommended.

The Game - Now here's a crazy movie! I had no idea what this was going to be about going in, so that made it even stranger. Basically, Michael Douglas's character takes part in a game orchestrated by a special corporation, a game that consumes his entire life and changes it in odd and increasingly terrifying ways. It gets to the point where you can't even tell if what's happening is part of the game. Personally, despite the duress he's under, I thought Douglas's character showed remarkable fortitude; I for one would have completely snapped, I'm sure of it. A very good psychological thriller, this.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - My first and, so far, only experience with Todd Solondz. This is a pretty damn twisted movie, if only because it shows how cruel and heartless both children and adults can be. To paint it in broad strokes, it's about the trials a physically unattractive 7th grade girl goes through on a daily basis, and the ways in which she has to cope with them (mostly alone, thanks to an uncaring family). It's all pretty grim, but there are enough moments of light to illuminate the moral this film's trying to convey. This was obviously a low-budget movie, but it's not amateurish. Recommended.

Ghost Town - A romantic comedy starring Ricky Gervais, of whom I've become quite a fan in the last year or so. In it, he plays a grumpy dentist who suffers a briefly fatal accident and is revived, only to find that he now has the ability to see and communicate with ghosts. Unfortunately, all of them want his help fixing the lives they left behind. This is a movie with a lot of heart, and Gervais is perfect for the role. If you enjoy his kind of humor, see this movie right away; but even if you're not so keen on him, I still think you should give it a shot if you find the premise remotely interesting. It might surprise you.

The Invention of Lying - Another Ricky Gervais movie, and another winner. As implied by the title, it's about a world which doesn't even have the concept of a lie... until Gervais's character throws a wrench in things. I found this to be a fascinating and hilarious analysis of the way deceit (both small and large) factors in to every facet of our daily lives, and the way we use it to shield ourselves from oft-painful truths. Highly recommended for both its humor and its philosophical probings.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 am 

Just saw "The Colony" opening weekend. Could have been so much better - a post-apocalypse, frozen underground settlement besieged by famine survivors gone feral and cannibalistic! But it sucks. Some nice ice-pick battle scenes. and a nasty little cannibal-butcher-shop thing, where they huddle together for body heat while eating each other at the same time... But you just don't give a crap about the characters. One guy narrates it off and on, he's dumb. Ending is a total waste. The colonists just wander off in the snow. Do they survive? Do I care???

Not to mention the impractical demographics of the colony - if you want to survive, there ought to be more than FOUR women :)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 pm 

Pain and Gain was amazing. Hilarious, subversive, brilliantly written. I haven't had this much fun at a movie in forever. Better than anything else Michael Bay has ever done. No weak links in the characters. They each have their own internal monologue, but it never gets tiresome.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Michael Bay

That name strikes boredom into my heart.

Glad you liked it, though. I'll basically watch anything Mark Wahlberg's in at this point, regardless of the director.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 pm 

So you've doubtless seen the two James Gray films we was in, right? Those were the only two films I could tolerate Marky Mark in.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 pm 

Don't get me wrong, Michael Bay really sucks as a general rule (even if I DO like The Rock) but this movie was basically perfect for what it was.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 818  Next