Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 pm 

Yeah, the Enchanter guy isn't the most polished singer, but remember, it's just a demo compilation. Still, I think the songwriting totally makes up for it. It's like Manowar + Fates Warning, just perfect. Hail! God of thunder! Hail, hail, hail!! Also, the heavy section that follows the quiet section in "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" is one of the single highest points in all of USPM.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
So has anyone listened to that Eternal Champion band I keep pimping out? Because if not you should :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HN4uFLrDbc

Actually Nahsil, since you're so into that, and this being the rec board, maybe you'll enjoy this.

WHEN I LOOK INTO YOUR EYES YOU SAY YOU'RE HOLDIN' ON
WHEN I TURN AROUND I FIND YOUR LOVE IS GONE
GONE AWAY
TAKE YOUR LOVE AWAYYYYY

familiar with Ashbury :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
So has anyone listened to that Eternal Champion band I keep pimping out? Because if not you should :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HN4uFLrDbc

Actually Nahsil, since you're so into that, and this being the rec board, maybe you'll enjoy this.

I've paid attention to Eternal Champion and dig them for sure. Also a fan of Ashbury!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am 

Ordered Endless Skies immediately. They sound like Legend (uk) mixed with Wishbone Ash. That dudes leads are really something, super fluid and tasteful.

I also finally broke down and ordered the 2CD version of Human Remains last week. I'll probably never spin the new album (that production, blegh) but I had to have those demos. Never heard them before, but if they were such a huge inspiritation for History of a Time to Come I know it'll be money well spent.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 am 

Still mad Ashbury got deleted from MA, taking my review with it... :grumble:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am 

Oh did they used to be on here? I was surprised when I couldn't find them at first, but the more songs I sampled the more I understood. I love reading reviews in anticipation of getting a new album though. If you still have it saved and could PM it to me that would be awesome.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Still mad Ashbury got deleted from MA, taking my review with it... :grumble:

Oh thank God, I was starting to wonder if I was going crazy because I swear I read that and then a couple of days later it just disappeared.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

Check out Winterhawk if you're digging Ashbury ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwWk4KTDOg

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Helstar's Nosferatu is the best power metal album as far as pure riff oriented things go. Really, the album delivers blazing riff after blazing riff. And the leads on that one are great, too.

I think that album has the best duel lead guitar work in all of metal.

Really the only thing lacking on the album are the vocals.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 pm 

Can someone recommend me a power metal album that is really big on the double bass and huge sing-a-long melodic Helloween hooks with a wailing police siren of a singer, but also brings loads and loads of distinctive, memorable speed metal riffs to the table, even playing them while the singer is doing his thing (it almost seems like a flower metal commandment--thou shalt not play riffs while thy singer's mouth is open)? Like the sound I'm looking for is if sometime in the late '80s there was a long-lost Helstar album that was never released and somehow Tobias Sammet got a copy in the late '90s, and between The Savage Poetry and Mandrake ripped off all the riffs from that lost Helstar album and used them to write an Edguy album.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Can someone recommend me a power metal album that is really big on the double bass and huge sing-a-long melodic Helloween hooks with a wailing police siren of a singer, but also brings loads and loads of distinctive, memorable speed metal riffs to the table, even playing them while the singer is doing his thing (it almost seems like a flower metal commandment--thou shalt not play riffs while thy singer's mouth is open)? Like the sound I'm looking for is if sometime in the late '80s there was a long-lost Helstar album that was never released and somehow Tobias Sammet got a copy in the late '90s, and between The Savage Poetry and Mandrake ripped off all the riffs from that lost Helstar album and used them to write an Edguy album.

That's a tough one but I would go with:
LOST HORIZON - Awakening the World
ONWARD - Evermoving

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:29 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Oh did they used to be on here? I was surprised when I couldn't find them at first, but the more songs I sampled the more I understood. I love reading reviews in anticipation of getting a new album though. If you still have it saved and could PM it to me that would be awesome.

They were borderline, but I think metal enough to be included, considering a few songs on the album are pretty much 100% metal. And sorry, I lost the review in a hard drive crash a few years back. It's a really cool album, though. Really unusual mix of country/hard rock/heavy metal.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:46 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Helstar's Nosferatu is the best power metal album as far as pure riff oriented things go. Really, the album delivers blazing riff after blazing riff. And the leads on that one are great, too.

I think that album has the best duel lead guitar work in all of metal.

Really the only thing lacking on the album are the vocals.

The vocals are really awful in places, the mix, performance and the arrangements. As you say, amazing guitar work, the album is well worth a listen for that alone.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:53 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
big on the double bass, wailing police siren of a singer, memorable speed metal riffs

That'd be Tony Moore-fronted Riot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvbFXo-M8ec

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:42 pm 

I already have Thundersteel, Immortal Soul, and Lost Horizon's entire output. But I'm looking for a very particular melodic sensibility Helloween and bands heavily influenced by it have, but with stronger riffage. This thought came when I was listening to Edguy's Mandrake and realized how weak the rhythm guitar on that album is much of the time.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 pm 

God damn I love Immortal Soul.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
I already have Thundersteel, Immortal Soul, and Lost Horizon's entire output. But I'm looking for a very particular melodic sensibility Helloween and bands heavily influenced by it have, but with stronger riffage. This thought came when I was listening to Edguy's Mandrake and realized how weak the rhythm guitar on that album is much of the time.

Scanner
Angel Dust
Messiah's Kiss

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am 

Wasn't sure whether or not to ask this here or another rec thread, but do any of you guys have any recommendations for bands that play a "deathified" style of traditional/speed metal ala Arghoslent? Hell, even something that's basically Running Wild with harsh vocals will work.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:49 pm 

The album that Sacriphyx just released has similarities to Arghoslent. It's very good, definitely check it out.

Some of the The Crown's older albums are melodic death/thrash with touches of traditional metal, I'd say.

"Eternal Death" and "Hell is Here" are my favorites.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:52 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Wasn't sure whether or not to ask this here or another rec thread, but do any of you guys have any recommendations for bands that play a "deathified" style of traditional/speed metal ala Arghoslent? Hell, even something that's basically Running Wild with harsh vocals will work.

Have you heard of Mefisto? Not running wild style but certainly 'deathified' speed metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OyWjacK4PI

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:

Scanner
Angel Dust
Messiah's Kiss

Already have that Scanner album (it's awesome), Messiah's Kiss might be worth looking into. I'm not really crazy about that Angel Dust song, the singer does not have nearly the range and charisma that S.L. Coe did, even if he is probably technically superior.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:37 pm 

Can't believe I only heard Othyrworld recently. This album is so good.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 pm 

Dragunov wrote:

This one Cormorant track, Blood on the Cornfields always reminded me of Arghoslent. Kind of funny, considering the lyrical matter. Great band who are worth checking out (and whose music you can download for free off of their bandcamp), but only that singular track fits what you asked for and they're otherwise outside of the scope of this thread.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 pm 

I interviewed Cormorant one time. Seem like nice guys, and yeah their music is pretty interesting.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:19 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Can't believe I only heard Othyrworld recently. This album is so good.

The main guy just died like a month ago :(

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 am 

regarding the vocals on Helstar's Nosferatu
Dandelo wrote:
The vocals are really awful in places, the mix, performance and the arrangements. As you say, amazing guitar work, the album is well worth a listen for that alone.

GET OUT OF HERE!

The vocals are superb and I'd dare any other singer out there to do better. Rivera's style on that particular record is incredibly complex because the music shifts a lot therefore, he isn't as melodic as he is capable of being.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:43 pm 

I would never go as far as to say that Rivera's vocals in Nosferatu are awful, but he certainly sounds a bit too flat and safe for his own good there. Still, the guitars more than make up for that.

Also, thanks to a little review by FSM, I've decided to check out Pitts Vs. Preps. Now, I know that the name is overtly weird, yet the band is anything but that. They only have one album, titled Below and Beyond, and it's very stripped down, rocking heavy metal with deep, manly vocals (and the occasional piercing falsetto) courtesy of Exhorder's own Kyle Thomas. It's not a mandatory listen or anything, but it's pretty fun. Here, check it out.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm 

The vocals could be better on some tracks, but on other tracks they're out of this world. Come on, "The Curse Has Passed Away" destroys all.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:20 pm 

Is there anything in the world greater than ancient, dusty, heavy metal demos? I'm over the moon with this Hell reissue.

I was expecting "quirk" but the intro track alone held more surprises than I was expecting for a whole album, and that's without any hint of Hallidays weirdness!

Once he finally joins the show though...wow. He may have rivaled the King himself for sheer theatrics. The spoken word intro to Blasphemy and the Master is one of the greatest I've ever heard. And the multi-tracked opening of Macbeth is stunning.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 am 

I've said it before, but Rivera's vocals on that album are perfectly fitting and, yes, really fucking good. VirginSteele_Helstar summed it up nicely, but it's also pretty obvious that he's getting into character on that album. His performance has got a weird, undead quality to it that is just awesome. Those conceptual songs wouldn't work half as well if he sung in the same style as A Distant Thunder.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Ordered Endless Skies immediately. They sound like Legend (uk) mixed with Wishbone Ash. That dudes leads are really something, super fluid and tasteful.

I also finally broke down and ordered the 2CD version of Human Remains last week. I'll probably never spin the new album (that production, blegh) but I had to have those demos. Never heard them before, but if they were such a huge inspiritation for History of a Time to Come I know it'll be money well spent.

I happened into this thread rather randomly, and I see this Endless Skies being compared to Legend and Wishbone Ash, which I find quite intriguing. Doing a search on the archives, there is no band with the name Endless Skies, and the only album named Endless Skies is from a stoner band named Mangrove, which I'm assuming isn't the right band, considering this is the heavy/power/speed thread. So I need some information. Is Endless Skies the name of the band, album, or both? What is their discography?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am 

Endless Skies is the album title, Ashbury is the band name. I've dubbed it "gentle wizard rock" and I'm not regretting my purchase. Vengeance is the heaviest of the lot for sure, and I wouldn't mind if there were 2 or 3 more in that vein but what you get instead is very good. Madman is so fun to sing along with.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 am 

Maybe someone has asked for this yet,but I've spent some time reading this thread and I haven't find anything so this is my request:I love Blind Guardian's "Somewhere Far Beyond" and "Imaginations from the Other Side" and I've been looking for bands that sound similar to theese albums for a long time but the only similar thing that I've found is Thomen Stauch's new band (Savage Circus),can anyone recommend me more bands that sound similar to those albums?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:37 am 

Nahsil wrote:
The album that Sacriphyx just released has similarities to Arghoslent. It's very good, definitely check it out.

Some of the The Crown's older albums are melodic death/thrash with touches of traditional metal, I'd say.

"Eternal Death" and "Hell is Here" are my favorites.

Already know and love that Sacriphyx album, and while I do hear a few similarities, I think it's more in line with stuff like Rotting Christ and Varathron. Also, not a big fan of The Crown, not quite what I'm looking for.

---

I know and enjoy Mefisto, though it's still not what I'm looking for. I need to dig out my CD of theirs though, haven't listened to them in some time!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I've said it before, but Rivera's vocals on that album are perfectly fitting and, yes, really fucking good. VirginSteele_Helstar summed it up nicely, but it's also pretty obvious that he's getting into character on that album. His performance has got a weird, undead quality to it that is just awesome. Those conceptual songs wouldn't work half as well if he sung in the same style as A Distant Thunder.

Exactly. He's clearly trying to sound aloof and aristocratic and hypnotic, especially on tracks like "To Sleep, Perchance to Scream" for the Dracula effect.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm 

I want to give Doro a listen, but I've never listened to them. I have only heard a couple songs so I don't know which album to try. I don't have high hopes as it's not really my style. I just feel like they are big enough to at least listen to one full album. I'd like an album with most focus on the instrumentation, and not just catchy choruses. I have an impression that they are the opposite, with focus on choruses, imagery, "look I'm a female and I'm so metal", etc. This is not something I'm after. I would rather have some great riffs and a solo than hearing the same chorus sung with backing vocals 5 times in a row.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm 

Megadeth wrote:
I want to give Doro a listen, but I've never listened to them. I have only heard a couple songs so I don't know which album to try. I don't have high hopes as it's not really my style. I just feel like they are big enough to at least listen to one full album. I'd like an album with most focus on the instrumentation, and not just catchy choruses. I have an impression that they are the opposite, with focus on choruses, imagery, "look I'm a female and I'm so metal", etc. This is not something I'm after. I would rather have some great riffs and a solo than hearing the same chorus sung with backing vocals 5 times in a row.

I personally love Warlock's album but I don't like too much the ones from Doro,so I would recommed you one of the first ones.In my opinion all of the Warlock albums are okay,but if you're looking for albums in concrete "Triumph and Agony" or "Hellbound" are probably the most famous.If you're looking specifically for albums of the Doro period try the early ones.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm 

Yeah, I was going to suggest Warlock's Hellbound. Haven't heard any of the stuff after she went solo. Seems silly retroactively dismiss a heavy metal legend with a killer voice just because some people buy records based on tits.

Your request was phrased in a very douchey and dismissive way.

Edit: To be honest I'm not sure I'd even bother. Warlock/Doro got well known making big, simple songs with killer hooks and decent riffs. It's party metal, basically. Maybe with a bit more muscle than something like Screaming for Vengeance, but if you're looking for complex riffs and dynamic song-craft you already know it's the wrong tree you're barking up.

Last edited by Jonpo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm 

So there's a new Vicious Rumors coming out soon. Anyone heard anything off it? I liked their last one pretty well, and Warball is actually kick ass. So I'm sure this will at least be solid if nothing else.

Also how good is 90s Virgin Steele? Fucking awesome shit. I know they get worshiped here like nothing else this side of MR, but I always like rediscovering them after a long while. I go through periods where I don't listen to em, but hot damn do they pen some of the most original, kick ass metal out there...romantic, epic keys mixed with pulverizing USPM riffing and out of this world vocals. Just amazing. "Blood and Gasoline" is so killer.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Also how good is 90s Virgin Steele? Fucking awesome shit. I know they get worshiped here like nothing else this side of MR, but I always like rediscovering them after a long while. I go through periods where I don't listen to em, but hot damn do they pen some of the most original, kick ass metal out there...romantic, epic keys mixed with pulverizing USPM riffing and out of this world vocals. Just amazing. "Blood and Gasoline" is so killer.

Totally agree with you. I also like how emotive their music gets me. It's a subjective thing, sure....but come on, how can one not get moved by dark numbers such as ''Child of Desolation'', ''Summing The Powers'' or up-lifting-to-the-max material such as ''Blood and Gasoline'', ''Crown of Glory'', ''Victory is Mine'', Veni, Vidi Vici'', ect? They better hurry up re-releasing The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 1 now so I can buy it.

What did Tad Morose sound like before they hired Urban Breed by the way? I rarely see people mentioning the band's earlier stuff so I'm curious.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392 ... 625  Next