Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
crimsonshadows08
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:19 pm 

Hi everyone!

So I'm really fascinated with personality theory, particularly the MBTI, and I'm wondering what peoples' personality types are around here. Myself, I'm an INFJ. Any other INFJ peeps around here?

Here are two online "tests" that I like, if you haven't taken one before.
http://keys2cognition.com/explore.htm
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Note that those tests are not meant to be substitutions for the official thing ... and the most accurate typing comes from a sound knowledge of the theory and thorough self-exploration. However, the tests should give you a good sense of what type you could be. There's a lot of information on personality types out there, and that includes a lot of misinformation...I think I've researched enough to sort it all out, so if you have questions, let me know.

Also, I should say, as a disclaimer for the naysayers, that personality types are not meant to put people in boxes or categories. We're all unique, blah blah blah, but the MBTI is a good tool to identify patterns that are more prevalent in some people vs. others.

So ... what's your type?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:29 pm 

Psychologically, there is really no such thing as "The official thing" when it comes to psychometric testing; no single measure is going to create a complete picture - they're really best only used for diagnostic purposes, as opposed to mental self-exploration.

I've never been a huge fan of MBTI tests, because they only recognise polarities, and not magnitudes, and it's in magnitudes which the real information resides - pure introspection feels vastly more reassuring than psychometrics to me. When it comes to personality theory, I'm fond of the Big-5 OCEAN measure; openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:39 pm 

I find the keys2cognition test very confusing. They seem more like a checklist for a psychiatrist analyzing a patient from an outside perspective, not for self-assessment. Am I too stupid, or is it just a badly designed test?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

crimsonshadows08
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:52 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Psychologically, there is really no such thing as "The official thing" when it comes to psychometric testing; no single measure is going to create a complete picture - they're really best only used for diagnostic purposes, as opposed to mental self-exploration.

I've never been a huge fan of MBTI tests, because they only recognise polarities, and not magnitudes, and it's in magnitudes which the real information resides - pure introspection feels vastly more reassuring than psychometrics to me. When it comes to personality theory, I'm fond of the Big-5 OCEAN measure; openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism.

Definitely, I agree with you regarding "official" psychometric tests -- I was warning against the tendency for people to assume the online test is equivalent to a longer, standardized MBTI questionnaire. From an empirically-based psychological point of view, the Big-5 measure holds much more weight.

I don't agree, however, that MBTI tests only recognize polarities. There's a wealth of information behind the deceivingly simple 4-letter designation, but most people stop after doing an online test, and see their type as a prescription rather than a launchpad. And personally, I'm a big fan of self-exploration, and when done right, its a lot more than reassurance!

Anyway, there's a lot of ways to describe people, and the MBTI is one of many...as an analogy, I can describe colours as "warm" or "cool", but that doesn't mean there are only two categories of colour.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:58 pm 

Quote:
I don't agree, however, that MBTI tests only recognize polarities. There's a wealth of information behind the deceivingly simple 4-letter designation, but most people stop after doing an online test, and see their type as a prescription rather than a launchpad.

Ah - the way I understood it, it's a test which goes "Aha, you're introverted" but doesn't tell you if you're very introverted, or a little bit introverted.

Last edited by Ancient_Sorrow on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crimsonshadows08
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I find the keys2cognition test very confusing. They seem more like a checklist for a psychiatrist analyzing a patient from an outside perspective, not for self-assessment. Am I too stupid, or is it just a badly designed test?

Interesting observation ... I didn't think of it that way, but now that I look at it, I see what you mean! It does sound like a checklist.

Part of these tests measures how you might interpret the question, so it doesn't have anything to do with cognitive ability. I have a clinical health background, and so I've administered, and written, many standardized tests that had similarly worded phrases -- so yes, they are meant to be confusing at times, haha.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:05 pm 

I've always found these to be pretty interesting, once I read someone calling it 'bunk', it could be, but it's kind of neat in a way. A few years ago (when I was around twelve or so), I tested to be an INTJ. At first I found this to be fitting, because the description seemed like me. However, I decided to test again because in the last years (especially this one), I've changed a lot and become a lot more extroverted. So it's not surprising I now score an ENTJ.

But I don't know, a lot of the description seems to fit me, but I'm not power crazy and trying to take over the world :) Although on a smaller note, it's the rarest type amongst females (Around 2%), so I guess I have quite the luck!!

But like others say here, there's no real way to test a human being for their personality. I guess if you really look into it, it's too improbable to fit into 16 distinct types; people are much more complex than just that. I've always kind of thought the same thing about IQ tests, but I'm not too sure a lot of people would agree with me there.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm 

ISTP, same thing I got a few years ago when I did this mbti thing. By the description, sounds about right.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 pm 

INTJ, and scored the same last time I did it, like 2 years ago.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:35 pm 

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is pseudoscience, plain and simply. It has low reliability as well as low validity, which makes it a poor test of personality, if it's even measuring it at all. Sure, it justifies itself by saying it's an application of Jung's research but even his work in that field was based off of medieval writings on personality. It's definitely interesting to see what you can get, but the MBTI is a poor measure of it. A better measure of personality is through the Big Five Personality Traits test, which is the current test used to determine personality in academia. It still has its problems but it's currently the best we have.

http://personality-testing.info/tests/BIG5.php

And in case you're wondering, I got ISTJ.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:37 pm 

INFP, same as always.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:20 pm 

INFP... Seems about right. My thinking was quite low, which makes a lot of sense, too.

were they hot?

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 am 

INFJ. Everything is moderate or slight.

Basically I'm a puddle of conflicting impulses, which is largely true.

Be honest: are you really all one way or the other on these tests? I find myself answering one way or the other on questions that are clearly geared towards the same thing. The nuance of the question is important -- as in life in general, I can't tell you how I'm going to react or what my personality will be.

Everything DEPENDS.

In short, I find these typing systems to be largely bunk. Sure, it's better than nothing.... but barely. Barely.

But they are kind of fun :).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 am 

ENTJ - this is about the 3rd or 4th time i've taken this test in well over 10 years, and i haven't changed.
that's kinda interesting, not sure if it says anything about me though... hell, maybe i've already achieved perfection, i dunno

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 am 

crimsonshadows08 wrote:
Here are two online "tests" that I like, if you haven't taken one before.
http://keys2cognition.com/explore.htm
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

-Humanmetrics.com:

Quote:
ENFJ: Extravert(11%) iNtuitive(75%) Feeling(25%) Judging(67%)

You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (11%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (25%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

-Keys2cognition.com:

Quote:
Your Cognitive Development Profile:
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.9)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.1)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************** (38.3)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.1)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************** (15.1)
unused
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.1)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************************** (47.5)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile:
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:09 pm 

Quote:
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

That really could mean just about anything. :P

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 pm 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is pseudoscience, plain and simply. It has low reliability as well as low validity, which makes it a poor test of personality, if it's even measuring it at all. Sure, it justifies itself by saying it's an application of Jung's research but even his work in that field was based off of medieval writings on personality. It's definitely interesting to see what you can get, but the MBTI is a poor measure of it. A better measure of personality is through the Big Five Personality Traits test, which is the current test used to determine personality in academia. It still has its problems but it's currently the best we have.

And in case you're wondering, I got ISTJ.

Oh come on. Not the most effective, comprehensive or insightful measure of personality? Yeaaaah. Not empirically validated very well? Guilty.

Pseudoscience? Let's reserve that one for astrology and witchcraft. A friend of mine is really into MBTI and his in-depth descriptions of it to me do make an amount of sense, even if I'm hardly as enthusiastic or interested in it as a real/applied diagnostic tool as he is.

I'm probably a heretic of sorts in the psychology field though because I value qualitative research as long as critical thought is rigorously applied (in addition to empirical-based research/"standard" accepted stuff like CBT).

I'll just be over here reading my existential-phenomenological authors while the cognitive-behavioralists say I'm wasting my time and buying snake oil or whatever.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

crimsonshadows08
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm 

Thanks for sharing guys. I get the arguments against MBTI, about how its not scientifically validated and all that. BUT you can still learn a lot from it, providing that you're not just reading a general description, and assuming that its a box that all people of that type have to fit into.

People can be described in so many different ways. Having 16 "types" doesn't preclude other ways of describing people. I can say someone is "male" or "female", and therefore describe humans in 2 categories. But it can be argued that gender, like any other descriptor, falls on a continuum. But sometimes, discrete descriptors are good short-hands to refer to patterns that we commonly see in people.

One dichotomy that has been getting more attention lately is introversion/extroversion. Of course, there's a spectrum within it, but there's still value in appreciating that certain people get drained from social interaction (introvert), while others get energized from social interaction (extrovert). Understanding that about yourself really clears up a lot of "what's wrong with me?" kind of questions (especially from introverts), because really, there's NOTHING wrong, that's just the way you're wired.

It works the same way for other dichotomies in the MBTI, and knowing what preference you have can be helpful/illuminating to a lot of people, especially in relationships and at work (which explains why MBTI is often used in career counselling settings).

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 pm 

So, I'm an INTJ (Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging). It's like the fifth time I get the same result using these tests, and considering that the description for INTJs is pretty much tailor made for me, then I guess it's settled; I'm an arrogant, pragmatic, cheeky bastard with poor social skills :lol:

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 pm 

Extraversion |||||||||||||||||| 92% (96 percentile)
Conscientiousness||||||||||| 55% (37 percentile)
Neuroticism ||||||||||| 55% (56 percentile)
Agreeableness |||||||||||||||||| 92% (87 percentile)
Openness ||||||||||||||||||| 95% (87 percentile)

That was my result for this test.

Myers-Briggs says I'm an ENFJ.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 am 

crimsonshadows08 wrote:
Thanks for sharing guys. I get the arguments against MBTI, about how its not scientifically validated and all that. BUT you can still learn a lot from it, providing that you're not just reading a general description, and assuming that its a box that all people of that type have to fit into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:04 am 

I learned something from this test through analysing some aspects of personality that me and others of the same type have in common. It could be a coincidence, but I like to think I learned something about myself regardless.

However, I got ISTJ now, and INTJ the last time.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:14 am 

crimsonshadows08 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

I've been actually thinking of this post a few days ago. I can understand the Forer effect being an explanation for things such as horoscopes and other whatnot, but the MBTI has to have some truth in it. I mean, for example, if you score ENTJ, it's very unlikely you feel equally represented by the opposite ISFP. Although to be honest, I guess it's true that one should always have an eye out for these things, but I guess it doesn't hurt to be tested just for fun.

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:50 pm 

Taken these tests multiple times and have always gotten ISTP.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

If you aren't INTP, do not entry
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic