Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 am 

It's always a piece of good news when certain bands from the 90s decides to reunite despite past hopes of not.
For this case, Convulse and Massacre both returned to "form" in a way with excellent EPs added to their discography. Both, which I would say, is impressive and brings out the essence of old school death metal.

Are there any death metal bands out there that are making comebacks? Notably those with just 1 to 2 full length album?

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:55 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Are there any death metal bands out there that are making comebacks? Notably those with just 1 to 2 full length album?

Demigod have made a return (played Tuska and MDF) and are working on some new material, AFAIK. Haven't heard anything recently though so don't know if a new album will become reality.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:08 pm 

I know some would probably place them more on the thrash end of the spectrum, but I've been anxious for a new Rigor Mortis album ever since they reunited. I was quite worried about the band when Scaccia passed away but it sounds like the band is going to finish it up to the best of their ability.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:18 pm 

The new version of Massacre SUCKS. Rick & Terry still sound good, but the new drummer can't play death metal to save his life and the new singer is a very poor imitation of George "corpsegrinder" Fisher and he has zero stage presence. The way he nervously stands around, the way he talks in between the songs, he seems very unsure of himself. Not good, at all. Kam Lee would wipe the stage with him, easily. It's also kind of shitty that none of those guys actually played on the "Tyrants Of Death" demo, and yet they parade around in 2013 using the name. Put Massacre back in the coffin, or get Kam & Bill Andrews back in the band and do it right.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:34 pm 

brain hammer wrote:
The new version of Massacre SUCKS. Rick & Terry still sound good, but the new drummer can't play death metal to save his life and the new singer is a very poor imitation of George "corpsegrinder" Fisher and he has zero stage presence. The way he nervously stands around, the way he talks in between the songs, he seems very unsure of himself. Not good, at all. Kam Lee would wipe the stage with him, easily. It's also kind of shitty that none of those guys actually played on the "Tyrants Of Death" demo, and yet they parade around in 2013 using the name. Put Massacre back in the coffin, or get Kam & Bill Andrews back in the band and do it right.

Yeah...

I enjoyed them live but I think Rick is too into Pantera for his own good. Massacre (to me at least) was just fast, thrashy death metal that had straightforward and memorable riffs. All of the new songs are just like groove metal. There was one song Rick posted a video of on Facebook that sounded promising but the rest are just bleh. I agree about the drummer. He's a good drummer but his playing feels too much like a generic session musician-no real aggression or intensity, just playing what he's supposed to.

Rick's tone is as awesome as ever though so I guess that's one thing?

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:37 pm 

Any thoughts on the Hoffman brothers reviving Amon?

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 pm 

One word: BRUTALITY. Incredibly underrated Florida death metal band. They tried to reform a couple of other times, but were finally successful and returned in 2012 with the entire lineup of their masterpiece, "Screams of Anguish" in tow, and recently released what is easily the greatest comeback EP ever, called "Ruins of Humans". It's downright astounding how good that EP is...

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
One word: BRUTALITY. Incredibly underrated Florida death metal band. They tried to reform a couple of other times, but were finally successful and returned in 2012 with the entire lineup of their masterpiece, "Screams of Anguish" in tow, and recently released what is easily the greatest comeback EP ever, called "Ruins of Humans". It's downright astounding how good that EP is...

How did I missed Brutality!

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm 

metallicbrian666 wrote:
brain hammer wrote:

Yeah...

I enjoyed them live but I think Rick is too into Pantera for his own good. Massacre (to me at least) was just fast, thrashy death metal that had straightforward and memorable riffs. All of the new songs are just like groove metal. There was one song Rick posted a video of on Facebook that sounded promising but the rest are just bleh. I agree about the drummer. He's a good drummer but his playing feels too much like a generic session musician-no real aggression or intensity, just playing what he's supposed to.

Rick's tone is as awesome as ever though so I guess that's one thing?

Rick sounds great. No complaints there. Now if they just had the right singer...

InfernoxDeath wrote:

I got "Liar In Wait" last year and liked it a lot. Still listen to it from time to time. Much better than what I was expecting from them honestly, and much better than the last couple Deicide records with or without them. The production could have been better, but for a homemade release it's not that bad. Perhaps a bit too "modern." Thin drums, etc. But I was really impressed with the Hoffman's leads. The new singer is ok, can't hear his stupid 8 string bass in the mix though. Overall, I dig it, too bad no labels bit on it and now it seems dead. Is anything still happening with Amon? Live shows?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 pm 

MORGOTH. They are back playing live but I'm not sure of they are working on new material.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm 

Mercyless has a new album coming out.
Sorcery (Swe) had one come out this year but unfortunately it's pretty crappy.
Pentacle and Eternal Solstice have a split coming out soon. I am not sure if either band was ever considered split up but they neither of them have released anything in years so I suppose they count.
Imprecation has an album coming as well.

Altogether I think death metal reunions are rarely productive. I don't think many of these bands have much left to offer. Abhorrence comes to mind. Those guys have been playing music for years that is nothing like Abhorrence, so it's hard to believe they can make music of the same caliber. It's cool to see reformed bands live but they rarely ever make material than can come close to their old stuff. That's not to say that they are all like that, but that seems to be the trend.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm 

Blizk wrote:
Demigod have made a return (played Tuska and MDF) and are working on some new material, AFAIK. Haven't heard anything recently though so don't know if a new album will become reality.

Demigod have still been around though... They put out Let Chaos Prevail well.. I guess that was 2007 but unless they put out something closer to the old material I'm not really interested.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:11 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Mercyless has a new album coming out.
Sorcery (Swe) had one come out this year but unfortunately it's pretty crappy.
Pentacle and Eternal Solstice have a split coming out soon. I am not sure if either band was ever considered split up but they neither of them have released anything in years so I suppose they count.
Imprecation has an album coming as well.

The Pentacle/Eternal Solstice double 7" is out. Eternal Solstice did a split 7" in 2011, so this would be their second new release. Imprecation has had an EP and a demo before the new album. Pentacle wasn't broken up...just had a lull there for a bit. Their new stuff is awesome.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:38 pm 

Caligorge back in 2011...waiting patiently for "...And the Weak Shall Perish."

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 pm 

Korpse reformed last year to do some shows. And they were fucking incredible, even if they had insane technical problems when I saw them. I don't think they're planning on doing any more recordings, but more shows will hopefully follow.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:20 am 

More on the melodic death metal side, but both Ablaze my Sorrow and Julie Laughs Nomore reformed during the winter.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 am 

Sorcery from Sweden reformed and put out a pretty good album this year. they are touring The US currently.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:04 am 

Morbid Saint comes to mind. Although they are also really thrashy.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 am 

I Am the Law wrote:
Altogether I think death metal reunions are rarely productive. I don't think many of these bands have much left to offer. Abhorrence comes to mind. Those guys have been playing music for years that is nothing like Abhorrence, so it's hard to believe they can make music of the same caliber. It's cool to see reformed bands live but they rarely ever make material than can come close to their old stuff. That's not to say that they are all like that, but that seems to be the trend.

Something I agree on. When bands re-unite of late, many will remain skeptical about whether the band will return to form. Do you think social media has made an impact on getting these bands back? In a way, help the band to gain some form of recognition?

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Demigod have still been around though... They put out Let Chaos Prevail well.. I guess that was 2007 but unless they put out something closer to the old material I'm not really interested.

They disbanded after that record if I remember right. It's indeed the founding member Esa Linden who's gathered the reunited band, so we should be in for some old school death metal in the vein of "Slumber of Sullen Eyes". Linden was with the band only on the debut full-length.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:02 am 

Dissect from the Netherlands

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 am 

Iniquity are back with their 1998-99 line-up, but only for touring purposes.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:

The album was good, but Eric is a complete idiot. He made a site that looks over 10 years old(which was never updated) and kept talking about how he was paying for everything. So whats he do? Instead of just uploading an mp3, they make a video and charge $1 for it(Ive never seen a band do that).

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:11 am 

Autopsy? Not a fan, don't like their early stuff(yet), but Macabre Eternal was alright.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 am 

Order From Chaos reunited in 2010 but hasn't confirmed there will be anything new. Too bad really because they were so good!

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 am 

Rottrevore are back with I think two of the original members. They have some songs floating around from last year.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 pm 

abhorrence is playing in tuska open air this year - don't know if they're planning on making new material tho'

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:58 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
I Am the Law wrote:

Something I agree on. When bands re-unite of late, many will remain skeptical about whether the band will return to form. Do you think social media has made an impact on getting these bands back? In a way, help the band to gain some form of recognition?

Absolutely. Not just social media, but the Internet as a whole. Metal is much more popular now. I doubt many band reformations would be happening otherwise. Some of them would, maybe, but not so many. That also extends to album reissues as well. I just read that Necropsy (Fin)'s demos are going to be reissued which is awesome. I doubt that would be happening without the Internet.

joppek wrote:
abhorrence is playing in tuska open air this year - don't know if they're planning on making new material tho'

I thought I read they were planning on making new stuff but perhaps not. I hope it stays that way.

ogmetal wrote:
The Pentacle/Eternal Solstice double 7" is out. Eternal Solstice did a split 7" in 2011, so this would be their second new release. Imprecation has had an EP and a demo before the new album. Pentacle wasn't broken up...just had a lull there for a bit. Their new stuff is awesome.

I was not aware that the Pentacle/Eternal Solstice split was out. I did not know they had a split in 2011 either. Pentacle, well, I don't know if I consider 8 years to be a "lull" but that's neither here nor there.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:33 am 

XcKyle93 wrote:
More on the melodic death metal side, but both Ablaze my Sorrow and Julie Laughs Nomore reformed during the winter.

That's great news because I fucking love Julie Laughs No More.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 am 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Order From Chaos reunited in 2010 but hasn't confirmed there will be anything new. Too bad really because they were so good!

Oh shit, I really hope they do, they were an AMAZING band.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 am 

Blizk wrote:
They disbanded after that record if I remember right. It's indeed the founding member Esa Linden who's gathered the reunited band, so we should be in for some old school death metal in the vein of "Slumber of Sullen Eyes". Linden was with the band only on the debut full-length.

I sure hope so, that would be good news indeed :D

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:11 am 

Uncanny put out a solid two song EP last year, not as good as Splenium but they seemed to have their heads in the right place. Also Antropomorphia came back with an ok album, but it does seem quite poor when directly compared to Necromantic Love Songs.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 am 

Looking forward also to Carcass... hoping in a decent album.

Great reunion for me is Suffocation and Autopsy, perhaps not good as the early days, but they blow the ass of many :guns:

"You make it easy."

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am 

joppek wrote:

One of the forefathers of Finnish death metal performing at a major homegrown festival... I hope the attendees will remember them for their huge contribution of death metal in Finland!

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm 

Since 2008 or 2009 a great many Death Metal bands have started returning to play shows, repress old items, or work on new music. The only two things I can think of that would have brought this on are, Dave Vincent rejoining Morbid Angel, and Dead Congregation's Graves of the Archangels, both of these really seemed to get people interested in the older stuff of the genre again. The nu OSDM wave really took off in 2009 in particular.

Last edited by Lord Tempestuous on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm 

DESULTORY!!

Their new album is a great mix of their first and second albums, no death n roll shit from Swallow the Snake.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm 

I think Dead Congregation were probably the biggest impetus on the whole OSDM revival, many, many bands started showing up after those guys. Definitely more than fucking Dave Vincent, most of the bands seem to be deliberately focused on being as un-Morbid Angel-y as possible. So I suppose they can be given credit for inspiring all these bands to come back out of retirement and get labels chasing after old albums to reissue... Thanks Dead Congregation, way to go.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thinking back on the time though, a lot of people were really excited that Dave Vincent was going to be back in the band. There was quite a bit of hope and hype.(which of course, all failed in 2011)

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:08 pm 

Maybe, but I don't think it was a trigger for all the OSDM bands showing up, considering they all play the darker and heavier more churning stuff that DC was doing, rather than what MA had done.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm 

Sound wise definitely. But many seemed to be of the mind that his return would harken back to the early days of the band, there was much reminiscing going on at that time and much thought given back to the early days when Death Metal was decidedly better, that could have just been me though. You're probably right.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next