* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Peroy wrote:
I'll also second Exodus - Bonded by Blood... easily their best...

I guess they're a rather unpopular band around these circles, but All That Remains debut "Behind Silence and Solitude" was some serious excellent, slightly hardcore incluenced melodic death metal. But they went downhill after that... fast...

Really? If anything their second album was much better. It's basically melodeath with hardcore vocals.
The vocals on the first albums are multilayered to make up for the weak & forced performance. Even the music is less intense.

Like those multilayered "weak & forced" vocals much more than that generic clean & scream interplay they used on the follow up record. Honestly, I couldn't care less if the vocals are multilayered if the end result sounds that good. Also, BSAS wins out with its great melodies and some seriously memorable riffs. The only song on the sophomore that even comes close to anything on the debut is "Tattered on my sleeve", and that's just not enough...

SisuBerserk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:16 am 

Diamond Head, Helloween, Nortt, Pantera, Reverend Bizarre, Se Josta Ei Puhuta and Terrorizer.

I love first album (or first 2-4) of them more than anything after them.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 am 

SisuBerserk wrote:
Pantera

Can I just pretend you mean Metal Magic instead of Cowboys From Hell?

SisuBerserk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:46 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
SisuBerserk wrote:
Pantera

Can I just pretend you mean Metal Magic instead of Cowboys From Hell?

Yes. Metal Magic is my favorite Pantera album.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:18 pm 

Rild wrote:
Darkthrone is a useless choice for this thread; it doesn't say anything at all about the band, just your genre preferences.

I get where you're coming from, but that's not necessarily true. Black metal has been my subgenre of choice for many years, and I've never been big into death metal, but Soulside Journey was for the longest time my favourite album of theirs (until I took a closer listen to Under A Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger). The quality of the riffs and the drumming really stands on its own.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:39 pm 

I was almost tempted to say Decapitated, but I like Nihilty just a tiny bit better than Winds of Creation. Wind is still amazing, though.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm 

AuditaTremendi wrote:
Phah. That would be most of the classic deathmetal bands. Nocturnus,Deicide,Death,Possessed,Autopsy,Dismember,Tiamat,Therion,
Gorefest,Sinister,Obituary,Entombed,Unleashed...and more

Further. Slayer,Candlemass,Metallica,Exodus,Testament,Forbidden.
Deicide better than Legion? Of Darkness better than Beyond Sanctorum? Cross the Styx better than Hate? Slowly We Rot over Cause of Death? Show No Mercy over Hell Awaits? All quality albums, but the latter are always more developed and overall clearer artistic visions of what the band was going for.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:55 pm 

I'll add Satyricon to this list. Dark Medieval Times is definitely their only pure black metal release, I tend to categorize their later albums as some sort of... Soft black metal(Except maybe The Shadowthrone). Not bad, necessarily, but still not as good as their first. (And no, I don't consider black 'n' roll to even exist)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire

WHAT? Really? How come?

Frost and Fire beats later works because the singer uses some different ranges than just the shrill half-speaking thing he does. Plus there's the long-ass instrumental song, I just love when bands do that.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
Cirith Ungol - Frost and Fire
Tokyo Blade - s/t ( many nwobhm bands fall in this category)
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Forest - s/t
Gorguts - Considered Dead
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Annihilator - Alice in Hell

Annihilator- probably yeah, I'd agree there, too. A lot of their stuff just sounds bland and processed to me but that's just me being jaded.

Nah, I wouldn't say that's a jaded opinion. Annihilator is the outsider of my list. The others were all fantastic albums that follow-ups couldn't match. I'd agree that Annihilatir sounds processed, it's just that on their debut, it didn't piss me off as much until their whole career continued it. Better to say their first was the best of a weak lot

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm 

Dream Theater

Thanks, why-u-hate-DT?-thread... Brought that band back to my mind... :)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:24 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Frost and Fire beats later works because the singer uses some different ranges than just the shrill half-speaking thing he does. Plus there's the long-ass instrumental song, I just love when bands do that.

But King Of The Dead has a shitload of long, awesome instrumental sections and a sweet ass rendition of Bach's Toccata in dm, which is also instrumental. I dunno, KotD was the first one I heard. Don't get me wrong, I do love Frost And Fire. It's fun and full of memorable songs, but KotD seems to be pretty much the pinnacle of their career, and several magnitudes more badass.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 am 

Bogdaniel wrote:
I was almost tempted to say Decapitated, but I like Nihilty just a tiny bit better than Winds of Creation. Wind is still amazing, though.

I'd lean toward Decapitated's debut, myself, though both are excellent. I just think there are more memorable, quality songs on Winds Of Creation.

Whoever said Exodus: that's another good call. Bonded By Blood is far and away my favorite from them.

Also, I'd go with Death: Scream Bloody Gore. Perhaps not 'the best' by many people's standards but it's certainly my favorite Death album and considering I had it on vinyl when it was first released it's been that way for a long time.

Death Angel: The Ultra-Violence is another one.

Deathrow: Riders Of Doom is my favorite from them.

Sacrifice: Torment In Fire could be their best, though Forward To Termination is so good I don't think I can go along with their debut being their best. Very close call for me.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 am 

Obviously Annihilator, although Never, Neverland was also good and the new self-titled isn't bad either. Everything else is pretty bland.

Malevolent Creation. Anything after The Ten Commandments really doesn't interest me much.

Deicide. I know a lot prefer Legion, but it isn't even close to me.

The Haunted. Easy one for me.

last.fm

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:16 am 

Terrorizer, undisputedly. I sincerely hate the other two albums although I keep trying, but to no avail. Why they couldn't find a guitarrist who could actually WRITE A FUCKING RIFF to replace Jesse is beyond me, surely a dream job for any self-respecting death metal musician.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 am 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Overkill!

That tends to be my choice on those admittedly rare occasions I remember that Overkill exists. It just feels a lot fresher, heavier and thrashier than the later ones.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 am 

inhumanist wrote:
But King Of The Dead has a shitload of long, awesome instrumental sections and a sweet ass rendition of Bach's Toccata in dm, which is also instrumental. I dunno, KotD was the first one I heard. Don't get me wrong, I do love Frost And Fire. It's fun and full of memorable songs, but KotD seems to be pretty much the pinnacle of their career, and several magnitudes more badass.

It's a close call for sure. Even One Foot has "Blood and Iron", which is my favourite song of theirs. As for King, the toccata is really well done that's true. Is the album more badass though? "Edge of a Knife" is hilariously badass! Frost and Fire just has a more personal attitude, though you're right King of the Dead has heavier warlike themes - if that's what you meant by badass.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:45 pm 

Lots of bands tend to have better demos than actual recordings. Vader, for example.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm 

Cro-Mags for sure.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 am 

Drudkh - Forgotten Legends

~Guest 293828
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 pm 

was told not to make lists

Last edited by ~Guest 293828 on Sat May 04, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 am 

remote wrote:
Catamenia - Halls Of Frozen North
Kalmah - Swamplord

Strongly disagreeing with these...

~Guest 293828
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 293828 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
grater789
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:58 am 

almost all the band i've heard have their debuts as the best albums

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 am 

remote wrote:
Nagelfar - Hünengrab im Herbst

I have to disagree. I think Srontgorrth works perfectly as a concept album and brings the epic/atmospheric side of band to full potential, while Virus West perfectly conveys a rawer, more primal side that is overall more heavy, headbangable material. While I adore Hühnengrab Im Herbst, it feels a bit inconsequential/underdeveloped (as far as that can be said about any of their material) compared to the other two.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Sat May 04, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:02 pm 

Skálmöld.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:55 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

You sure? It's great, but too short for my taste. Yes I know the songs are like 10 minutes each, but only 3 real songs?? Blood in our Wells gets my vote, if only because it's not done so quickly. Plus the more relaxed atmospheric guitars let the bass be felt more.

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:27 pm 

I like Blessed Are the Sick and Gateways to Annihilation a lot, but Morbid Angel couldn't top the evil intensity of their debut.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:45 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

You sure? It's great, but too short for my taste. Yes I know the songs are like 10 minutes each, but only 3 real songs?? Blood in our Wells gets my vote, if only because it's not done so quickly. Plus the more relaxed atmospheric guitars let the bass be felt more.

Yep. Those 3 songs are about 37 minutes and they are so dark, emotional and entrancing. There's never a break in the atmosphere and it's overall probably their fastest purest black metal album. I enjoy all their albums, even "Handful", but I'm glad they took a step back on their latest release. Picking a second favorite for me is pretty much a toss up between Swan Road, Blood in Our Wells and Microcosmos.

~Guest 293828
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 293828 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:57 pm 

I'll throw my support behind At the Gates for this thread. The Red in the Sky is Ours is probably my favorite, and Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul are mediocre in comparison. But With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness is fantastic IMO. The Red already had some of the more melodic bits and With Fear emphasizes them more, but the dissonant Alf Svensson riffs are still there. If I had to pick one it would be The Red, but they definitely followed it up well IMO.

Emperor are another interesting one, albeit a clearer choice IMO. The proggy, complex nature of Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is fantastic, but the more straightforward, razor-sharp evil of In the Nightside Eclipse makes it my top choice.

Sodom are much more obvious for this thread IMO. Dunno if I'd go with In the Sign of Evil or Obsessed by Cruelty, but In the Sign of Evil isn't technically an album so whatever. The more vicious nature of their earlier material places it above the more typical thrash of the following years.

remote wrote:
Nagelfar - Hünengrab im Herbst
Catamenia - Halls Of Frozen North
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Entombed - Left Hand Path
In Aeternum - Forever Blasphemy (by FAR)
Kalmah - Swamplord
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence (this one was tough, cause Death To All is fantastic and i own all their albums.)
Naglfar - Vittra (Diabolical is a close second but doesnt have as many memorable riffs)
Funeral Mist - Salvation

& since The Formulas Of Death has been released we can add
Tribulation - The Horror

and +1 Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt

First of all, we've been told repeatedly not to post lists with no explanation.

Second, I can't agree with Tribulation being placed here. I think a band with only two albums hasn't done enough in their career to warrant inclusion in this thread anyway, but The Formulas of Death is way better than The Horror in my opinion anyway. The Horror is a kickass chunk of death metal, but dense, complex nature of The Formulas of Death makes it one of my favorite albums of the year.

(It's interesting how I like The Formulas of Death more than The Horror due to its complexity, but go with the more straightforward In the Nightside Eclipse for Emperor, but I digress.)

~Guest 293828
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:22 pm 

OK, i deleted my post. you can delete my post from your quote now.

im not into following rules, so im just going to leave this forum.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:24 pm 

remote wrote:

Oh my god :lol:.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

AuditaTremendi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:07 am 

w0Lf wrote:
AuditaTremendi wrote:
Phah. That would be most of the classic deathmetal bands. Nocturnus,Deicide,Death,Possessed,Autopsy,Dismember,Tiamat,Therion,
Gorefest,Sinister,Obituary,Entombed,Unleashed...and more

Further. Slayer,Candlemass,Metallica,Exodus,Testament,Forbidden.
Deicide better than Legion? Of Darkness better than Beyond Sanctorum? Cross the Styx better than Hate? Slowly We Rot over Cause of Death? Show No Mercy over Hell Awaits? All quality albums, but the latter are always more developed and overall clearer artistic visions of what the band was going for.

Yup. Maybe it's because i bought most of those albums in order of release when they came out back in those days. The first Deicide is awesome. All tracks are catchy and i like the production more. When Legion came out i was thoroughly disappointed,no strong riffs,a bit chaotic. A dull follow up.

Guess the same goes for Therion. The debut has better production,great riffs and,well,i just loved it instantly. I bought that together with Left Hand Path in a shop. Beyond Sanctorum is
good too. I have both the original cd versions.

Ahh. Cross the Styx!! One of the most brutal deathmetal albums ever. Raw,strong production,great vocals. Neanderthal drums. THAT was a REAL brutal deathmetal album. Not those triggered,digital
releases of all those modern,so called "Brutal-technical DM" bands. I already loved the demo that i had on cassette behind the Lost Paradise album.

Cause of death is great too. Actually it is my opinion that only the first 2 Obituary albums are worth buying.
Just prefer the raw sound of "Slowly We rot". The music as well as the vocals are more aggressive.

Show No Mercy is my alltime favorite album. So i don't really need to go into that one hehe. I wrote something down in the Hanneman thread/poll of the first 5 albums.

Goreguttz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:12 pm 

Suicide Silence - The Cleansing & Whitechapel - This Is Exile

Orkblut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am 

A couple i thought of (IMO)

Amon Amarth - Once sent from the Golden Hall

Katatonia - Dance of December Souls

Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity

October Tide - Rain Without End

Vinterland - Weclome My last Chapter..........(Ha....ha)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:09 am 

Goreguttz wrote:

Not sure if srs

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Goreguttz wrote:

Not sure if srs

Obviously not... the s/t by Whitechapel is a much better album than the debut. 8)

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 pm 

remote wrote:

Nah, I think I'll leave it as an eternal monument of human stupidity.

Goreguttz wrote:

Orkblut wrote:
A couple i thought of (IMO)

Amon Amarth - Once sent from the Golden Hall

Katatonia - Dance of December Souls

Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity

October Tide - Rain Without End

Vinterland - Weclome My last Chapter..........(Ha....ha)

Okay. Why?

Anyway, I was going to post Dystopia, but I checked their page on the Archives first and noticed that Human=Garbage is considered an EP, and their only actual full-length is the self-titled. So there goes that idea.

Frowning_All_The_Time
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Except it is better. Better songwriting, more original sound, etc. Clandestine is awesome.

Yeah, I was going to weigh in with a post along these lines.
Left Hand Path is great but Clandestine is definitely my favourite Entombed album.

"Crawl" is possibly the greatest death metal song of all time. What a riff!

DA-na-na-NA-na-na-na-NA

Satan!
Help me die away from reality
My arms and legs are bound
Please grant me mortality

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next