Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 am 

Mmm...why am I so sleepy?

Doomier than I expected, but not too impressed with that.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am 

As expected, the polished production sucks the life out of it, and Ozzy's melodies are overly modern. I'm not very excited, but it sounds passable. I probably won't buy it.

OpsiusCato wrote:
That album is going to suck. 100% sure.

If it had Tony Martin instead of Ozzy, you'd be 100% sure it will be mindblowing and incredible.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 am 

Meh. It's not as bad as I expected, not actively boring, could go decently as background music. About on par with the majority of what Iommi has done since Sabotage. Not as good as the greatest songs, but not as bad as the worst. So, pretty middling, all in all.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:55 am 

Ozzy actually sounds even shittier than he did on his last few solo albums. :(
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:37 pm 

Just out of curiosity, how popular would you guys estimate that they still are?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm 

Judging by the current facebook statistics (7,128,677 likes · 300,951 talking about this) I reckon they're fairly popular.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:25 pm 

hey wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how popular would you guys estimate that they still are?

Immensely popular, perhaps more so than they ever have been. I'd say every show they will ever play from now on will be sold out.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:57 pm 

Guys, that 'I heart radio on demand' was obviously placed there by the website to discourage people from ripping off that track, as someone pointed out earlier. How could you honestly believe it's part of the song? :lol:

Anyway, I liked it. Ozzy sounds like Ozzy - old and tired - but not really bad. Certainly listenable. And some of those riffs were just enormous. Some really cool bass-work in one part too.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 pm 

They released a recording on YouTube without the radio overdub. Man, this stuff is good. I was skeptical when they said it was like old Sabbath because that's something that's very easy to lie about... I'm glad they were right.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
They released a recording on YouTube without the radio overdub. Man, this stuff is good. I was skeptical when they said it was like old Sabbath because that's something that's very easy to lie about... I'm glad they were right.

I agree, every time I listen to a version with a bump in quality I like it more. And I still think in the context of a full album, the beginning of the song might be a good palate cleanser. But I really hope that's the case. I can't believe it's really that repetitive and compressed. Not sure exactly who to blame about that but I'm looking at Rick Rubin >_>

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 am 

I can't believe people have never heard an audio watermark before on a track...

The song is shit and it sounds like Iommi went into the closet, unpacked a tote full of thrown-away riffs and rearranged them into an order which Ozzy might understand as a song. The riffs have none of the flair or feel or passion of any riffs on any other Sabbath album and, considering every album Sabbath released after Ozzy was kicked out of the band for being a junkie was an absolute confectionary wonder (if frozen deserts were made of riffs) this whole thing reeks of record label doing and legal inflation. I expect that Iommi was required to do an album with Ozzy as per the agreement they made in 2009 about the rights to the band's name and this is the fulfillment of that settlement which, as far as I know, has never really been made public in detail.

My full thoughts...

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:20 am 

Its pretty mediocre. Don't see myself buying this.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:27 am 

Verse completely sucks, some riffs are amazing and the whole composition sounds directionless, but it's actually OK!

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:55 am 

Just listened to it again and I like it more and more! Really looking forward to the album!

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:13 am 

I think that overall the song is good craft. I used word "craft" because I didn't find anything sharp in this song. I mean it's really good musically - it drives, it's dark sounding and reminds old Sabbath a lot, but Ozzy's vocals are just... ordinary, without emotion or passion. It sounded like Ozzy did vocals for a pop song. He sang it casually. That's what I think. Let's hear whole album...

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:38 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Guys, that 'I heart radio on demand' was obviously placed there by the website to discourage people from ripping off that track, as someone pointed out earlier. How could you honestly believe it's part of the song?

orionmetalhead wrote:

I've scanned the thread after reading this, and I can't seem to find a single post that suggests its author genuinely assumed the watermark was actually part of the song. Who are those guys and people you two are attempting to educate, exactly? :roll:

enigmatech wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
Also, as one guy pointed out, there is no fucking solo! I can't believe my ears. No solo would be a problem even for a 3 minute song, but that thing is like 45 minute long and they still didn't find time for some Iommi soloing goodness?

Are you sure?

Your link didn't work for some reason, from here at least. I saw one of these bullshit YT messages saying the video had been blocked because it contained UGM material... And yet I can see that it's from the "Official" "Black Sabbath" YT channel, and I can access the same upload from there. Go figure.

I've listened to the whole track again from the link posted previously, the version taken from iheartradio.com (IP-address-blocked outside the US, for some reason, but available from here for instance), and can confirm that this version contains no guitar solo. However, after what must have been the longest time I ever waited for a YT stream to fucking load, I managed to check the version Sharon posted on YT, and was dumbfounded to hear a tidbit of soloing for like 5 seconds around the mark you pointed to, 7'37''.

Both versions span 8'52'', so it means that the preview that was first released through iheartradio was an alternate mix without the guitar solo... WHY? That's an utterly stupid thing to do, better no preview than one with the guitar solo edited out. Anyhow, those few seconds of soloing still fall very, very short from what a song like this would have required.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 am 

I'll definitely listen to it out on the label's page in entirety when out, this song is strictly fine. Will take a call then, I understand it's Sabbath, but I'm not running to the store just yet.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:24 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
Guys, that 'I heart radio on demand' was obviously placed there by the website to discourage people from ripping off that track, as someone pointed out earlier. How could you honestly believe it's part of the song?

orionmetalhead wrote:

I've scanned the thread after reading this, and I can't seem to find a single post that suggests its author genuinely assumed the watermark was actually part of the song. Who are those guys and people you two are attempting to educate, exactly? :roll:

There were a few humorous comments but one guy was seriously wondering. It's on page 8, about two thirds down.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:48 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:

The song is shit and it sounds like Iommi went into the closet, unpacked a tote full of thrown-away riffs and rearranged them into an order which Ozzy might understand as a song. The riffs have none of the flair or feel or passion of any riffs on any other Sabbath album and, considering every album Sabbath released after Ozzy was kicked out of the band for being a junkie was an absolute confectionary wonder (if frozen deserts were made of riffs) this whole thing reeks of record label doing and legal inflation. I expect that Iommi was required to do an album with Ozzy as per the agreement they made in 2009 about the rights to the band's name and this is the fulfillment of that settlement which, as far as I know, has never really been made public in detail.

My full thoughts...

I went and read your blog post. Well articulated and everything! However, I wouldn't look so deep. Not that I'm a fan of Ozzy but people are quick to blame him for a lot of stuff.

The truth is, Iommi has been declining for decades. The patented style is still there (luckily for all of us) but the urge to experiment wildly has been gone since the 80s and the fire and intensity are pretty much absent since Dehumanizer. That was 20 years ago.

Your opinion of the song is harsh but still fair, IMO. But to me, this is very much a logical continuation after the stuff I've heard in the last 20 years, be it Forbidden, the two solo albums, the WhoCares project with Gillan and Heaven & Hell.

Also, I don't think I can be cynical enough to believe a man fighting for cancer is half-assing it to fulfill contractual obligations or something like that. Even less so when there is so much at stake. Sabbath-Ozzy was a historical lineup that created timeless music and created an entire genre of music. And this album will get more coverage and reach more people than anything Sabbath has done since the 70s. It's gonna be a huge part of Iommi's legacy, for better or worse.

It was never gonna sound like 40 years ago. This is what Iommi does now. I'm just gonna hope this is one of the weakest tracks of the album.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 am 

LegendMaker wrote:

Yeah, I actually thought it was a part of the song. Silly, I know. But this is the band that put "FX" on Vol. 4, so they are capable of doing some stupid, ridiculous, out-of-place shit every now and again.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:11 pm 

Riffs wrote:
The truth is, Iommi has been declining for decades.

You're joking right? The Devil You Know was an awesome album in every aspect, Dehumanizer is a great album and, if you've seen Sabbath live within the past five or six years, I don't see how you can claim Iommi has been declining for decades. If anything, you're right about his bout with cancer possibly having an affect on the outcome of this album however he's been effectively treated as of last year and I don't think that someone of his ability - I don't think he's been declining for decades - would let sickness bother him when it comes to writing. If anything, I think it would make him more passionate about completing and releasing an album.

This sounds anything but passionate.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:22 pm 

I also have to disagree that Iommi has declined. I personally consider Tyr, one of Sabbath's later records, to be among their very best. Headless Cross is pretty damn fine as well. The Devil You Know, as orion stated, is also fantastic. I can't mention his solo work though, I haven't heard it.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Riffs wrote:
The truth is, Iommi has been declining for decades.

You're joking right? The Devil You Know was an awesome album in every aspect, Dehumanizer is a great album and, if you've seen Sabbath live within the past five or six years, I don't see how you can claim Iommi has been declining for decades.

Of course I've seen Iommi live. He's one of my idols ;)

I'm not questioning his ability to perform songs anymore than I'm questioning Mustaine's ability to perform the entire Rust In Peace album.

It's the ability to create new material that is as genuinely wicked, crazy, experimental and trippy that I feel is gone.

Yes, I thought Dehumanizer was great. Not Sabbath's best material but the last respectable album they ever did. That was decades ago.

I find The Devil You Know is OK. It's certainly cool if you compare it to the shitload of crappy metal bands around but it's not a classic like Heaven and Hell or Master of Reality. It's pretty much an inferior rehash of the lesser known tracks from Dehumanizer that Sabbath seldom bothered to play live or promote. You know, Letters from Earth, Buried Alive, Sins of the Father. Stuff like that.

Anyways, different strokes and all that...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:56 pm 

New song caught live! The End of the Beginning.
I like it much better despite the quality and the fact Ozzy's voice sounds really quite tired at times.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:16 pm 

So uh, is every song on the album going to try to ape their namesake song at some point? Also, good fucking lord Ozzy is out of tune.
Hehe, foreskins.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:32 pm 

Musically, I like this track better than 'God is Dead?'. However, the live vocals are a let down for me but Iommi manages to keep my interest levels high. It's definitely not bad at all.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:16 pm 

Crick unfortunately has a good point. They really sound like they're copying themselves. I mean, the riffs are good, which I guess is important, but it sound like Rick Rubin just went in and said "Guys, I know when you started doing this 40 years ago, you were playing slow, dark, blues, but now it's DOOM METAl? You got that? DOOM METAL!!!" It sounds like something off of Candlemass' From The 13'th Son, which is one of my all time favorite albums, but that being said, Sabbath has always been proto-doom and rock and roll at heart. This sounds like they're trying to copy a dozen modern doom bands.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:17 pm 

Riffs wrote:
New song caught live! The End of the Beginning.
I like it much better despite the quality and the fact Ozzy's voice sounds really quite tired at times.

My fucking gawd, BS! Are you slipping a mammoth dose of a Rohypnol/GHB/Ketamine cocktail in my pint while I'm in the loo, tying me all up bondage-style, blindfolding me with Ozzy's backstage towel, gagging me with Sharon's discarded breast implants, and calling me a little bitch-ass-noob all the while?! Like I said upon first hearing a sample of "God in the Sky is Falling off the Edge of the Dead", I ALREADY GOT "Black Sabbath", the song, AND "Under the sun", thank you so much, guys who've been told to convince themselves it was 1970 again... Don't actually remake what you did in 1970, please! You can't touch this anymore, let alone top it. Compose something fresh, please? Or maybe don't, Ozzy would ruin that anyway.

From MEH to BLAH. Watch me, Sabbath! :| => :annoyed:

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:31 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
My fucking gawd, BS! Are you slipping a mammoth dose of a Rohypnol/GHB/Ketamine cocktail in my pint while I'm in the loo, tying me all up bondage-style, blindfolding me with Ozzy's backstage towel, gagging me with Sharon's discarded breast implants, and calling me a little bitch-ass-noob all the while?! Like I said upon first hearing a sample of "God in the Sky is Falling off the Edge of the Dead", I ALREADY GOT "Black Sabbath", the song, AND "Under the sun", thank you so much, guys who've been told to convince themselves it was 1970 again... Don't actually remake what you did in 1970, please! You can't touch this anymore, let alone top it. Compose something fresh, please? Or maybe don't, Ozzy would ruin that anyway.

From MEH to BLAH. Watch me, Sabbath! :| => :annoyed:

LOL, I understand the disappointment! :-P

But don't you think that second song is better than the first one? I thought the first one sounded like an experiment from the state of Texas to execute serial killers of children by musical boredom.

This new one (despite the horrible live vocals) sounded better to me.

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm 

This song is worse than God is Dead to me. God is Dead dragged, but had a really good final 3 minutes or so. The End of the Beginning had no real memorable moments, it was strictly paint by numbers, you knew where the song was going right off the bat with the same old "black sabbath" like intro.

Ozzy's live vocals were crap, really tired sounding and out of tune.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 pm 

Riffs wrote:
New song caught live! The End of the Beginning

They are joking? Right?!

frband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 pm 

Bill Ward leads songs. He's Black Sabbath. Too bad he's not back. Happy 4/20 my friends

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 pm 

@Riffs: No, I honestly thought "God is Dead?" was less offensive than this knock-off, aside from the lyrics, of course.

@Opus: I'm afraid they're as serious as Iommi's wig, unfortunately.

Really, Tony, why not just go for the bald look? Not only is there no shame in that, especially not after what you've just been through, but it would be a more badass look for the Original Metalhead than this damn hairpiece. But you guys really want to go for that whole "look at them now" mirror image of the looks you had 40 years ago, don't you? Like, one of Sharon's PR people saw the original cover idea for the Beatles' discarded 'Get Back' album, and they thought "hey! let's do this". Well, it's not a good idea, guys. You're 60-something, look 60-something, dammit.

frband wrote:
Bill Ward leads songs. He's Black Sabbath. Too bad he's not back. Happy 4/20 my friends

You really put the stone in stoner, man. Here, give us a puff. Edit: Alrighty, I've been meaning to test this bad boy, so you're it, man. No hard feelings. :wanker:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 pm 

Yeah God is Dead sounds terrible. Huge surprise. Ozzy's vocals are super weak and he has zero range, but it's also pretty damn repetitive and lackluster on the guitar end of things, though there are a few decent riffs here and there. Really though, did anyone expect this to be good?

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:47 pm 

frband wrote:

Yep, because Mob Rules, The Devil You Know and some of the great Tony Martin albums are all false Black Sabbath right? Your loss man. If anyone is Black Sabbath, it's Tony anyway (though true, a core line-up is always more ideal than just one original member).

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:58 am 

End of the Beginning sounds much better. Very much in the vein of the song Black Sabbath. I actually like it. Very doomy.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 am 

Black Sabbath is getting the Amon Amarth formula. Iommi is far more capable of what those 2 shits passing as songs are: The Devil You Know sounded way more fresh and interesting that this self plagiarism. No matter who much they try to get back to the 70's, it's not possible and Iommi should know it.

I swear the last monolithic riff I've heard from Tony was the verse riff from Follow The Tears.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:10 pm 

End of the Beginning sounded pretty good. As others mentioned, Ozzy's vocals there were not that impressive, but the studio version will probably rule.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 pm 

End of the Beginning was totally unoriginal and just aped their old 70s sound to the tee, apparently when Rubin told them to go back to the 70s, he just meant write carbon copies of your old stuff all mixed together.

It still sounds pretty good though. This is one of the best sounds they could rip off, anyway.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:42 pm 

I feel very, very underwhelmed by these new songs. End of the Beginning in particular sounded like a second rate worship band trying to rip off Sabbath's eponymous tune.

Tony and company can do much better than this.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next