Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DreamTheater3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 pm 

I'd like to hear some opinions on this band, since they have been controversial in labeling them industrial "metal" or not. Despite not being on this site, they seem to be far more appreciated than most of the other stuff from the nineties (I.E. Nu metal) but I would like to hear some thoughts.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:57 pm 

Not a big NSBM fan.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:30 pm 

Love them. They have some stuff that I think could be categorized as metal, particularly the Broken EP, but for the most part they're just a damn good band regardless of what genre they're labeled as.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:06 am 

A longtime favorite of mine, though I generally don't listen to their main albums as a whole, unlike most other bands. The remix EPs/maxi singles are among my favorites of theirs, for the multiple interesting takes on one song. Can't say I have been captivated by anything since The Fragile, I prefer the first ~15 releases from their first decade or so.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 pm 

I respect them more than I enjoy them. I feel that way about a lot of artists: Not really my thing aesthetically, but I respect them for what they have achieved. Trent Reznor has done some pretty cool and interesting things. But to me it's too, well, "electronic." Too skrunky, sterile and digital. I dunno, I basically like him but don't listen to his music, if that makes sense.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 pm 

The Fragile is a goddamn classic and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. Seriously some of the more emotional and intense music. IT's like listening to Reznor fall apart.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:42 am 

Fucking love Nine Inch Nails. Before I got into metal NIN was my favorite band. They're still one of my favorites. The Downward Spiral and the Fragile are still in my top 10 albums ever, they are masterpieces.

I'm really excited Trent has decided to tour some more. I lived in a small town until I went to college and Trent announced hiatus before I got a chance to see them.

-Tracie Harris

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 am 

I'm quite fond of Pretty Hate Machine and the Downward Spiral, but I'm not hugely familiar with their work outside of that.

Yeah, yeah, the Fragile, I know...

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 pm 

Nine Inch Nails dominates. Classic stuff, and Trent puts on a helluva show.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm 

Never got too into them, I like a few songs. What I don't get is how everyone says he gets these amazing totally out there sounds from his keyboard - I just don't really hear it. I mean he has some great songs for sure, but I just don't see what people are talking about.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 am 

Industrial music aged badly in my mind and NIN and all the elements borrowed from that I think fall into a similar place.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm 

A long time staple of mine. I've been listening to NIN since I was a little tike. I remember listening to "Head Like a Hole" over and over again in my friend's basement when we were both still single digits in age.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to The Fragile since it got released 14 years ago. I used to play it over and over on loop while playing Dark Age of Camelot late at night during the summers, when I had no responsibilities whatsoever. It's probably a top 3 non-metal album for me, and has been since I first listened to it.

I generally like all of NIN too, with his most recent material being the weakest I think, especially The Slip.

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 am 

Nine Inch Nails is probably the most important music in my life in terms of artistic influence. The aural depth of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile is remarkable - there are so many layers that each listen yields new discoveries. Add in the constant chromaticism, free fluctuation between major and minor modes, funky syncopation, and asymmetric meters and you have something really singular.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 am 

Never delved too much into Reznor's material. From what I've heard they're decent. Not really as ground breaking as some people make them out to be.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 am 

I don't like NIN much. I feel it is too naked and not quite subtle especially the lyricism. I prefer Smashing Pumpkins if you were to compare the two because of Corgan's lyrical skill and ability to write much more comprehensive, well rounded material.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am 

TSP and NIN aren't quite comparable but yea, in a sense I'd go with you. I really dig Pumpkins' early materials.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 am 

Pumpkins are much better but NIN have their moments.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 am 

I went through a "phase" in late middle school/early high school where I listened to a ton of NIN. Wore NIN shirts religiously and had a big patch on my backpack and drew the logo everywhere.

Other than some sometimes embarrassing lyrics, the band holds up really well. Pretty Hate Machine and Broken have their moments but The Downward Spiral and The Fragile remain classics to my ears. "With Teeth" was sort of boring, but I did get re-interested in the band during the whole crazy concept/Alternate Reality Game marketing thing for "Year Zero" which I thought was pretty cool. "The Slip" doesn't have anywhere near the strongest material but it's still a good listen. It helps that it has a very "live" feel to it which recalls the video for "March of the Pigs" and the band's live performance in general.

I guess it's a sure sign that I'm getting old when "The Slip" seems like it was still pretty recent. The wait between "The Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile" seemed like an eternity but apparently it's been just as long. I have a fair bit of confidence that a new album could be pretty neat and am looking forward to hearing whatever it is he's been working on.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic