Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

Does anyone else here Vape? I switched off analogues a few weeks ago when I bought a pretty cheap rechargeable unit. I just got my tax returns so I plan on ordering a tank unit today. What brands and flavors are people here using?

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:19 pm 

I had no idea this was a thing, had to look it up. How does it differ from a regular cigarette?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm 

It is a device that looks like a ciggarette that delivers nicotine without the other unhealthy things in tobacco so it is less harmful. It also doesn't produce smoke so it is cleaner. It lets you replicate the mechanical process of smoking while reducing the amount of nicotine you take in (since you can control the dosage) so you can wean yourself off nicotine. Or you could just smoke that way forever if you wanted.

These things aren't vetted though, they could be worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:03 pm 

They look pretty funny in my opinion, and I've seen some people actually trying them nowadays. I guess this could actually get big since a lot of people are quitting lately, it would make sense if they had something cleaner. Has anyone tried it though? Does it really get you hooked up like normal cigs?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 pm 

I used them to cut back for awhile - not nearly the same - but definitely a decent substitute - I wouldn't say they are as addictive though - it's not nearly the "hit" you get from a regular cig - not as satisfying.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:59 am 

I'm surprised there are people here who still haven't heard of these. They're getting thrown around like crazy these days. As a non-smoker they still piss me off though. Some people use them as a way to justify smoking in a restaurant or something. The hell man.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 am 

Some dispensaries even have thc filled versions of those, too.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:22 am 

We used an easy vape all the time in the dorms. Not for tobacco of course, that's what the hookah was for.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 am 

I've got a Volcano that I use for good ol' ganja.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:05 am 

Volcano vapes are love. Volcano vapes are life.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I used them to cut back for awhile - not nearly the same - but definitely a decent substitute - I wouldn't say they are as addictive though - it's not nearly the "hit" you get from a regular cig - not as satisfying.

I like that I can use them indoors. Gone are the days of having to get up from what I'm doing for smoke breaks outside. I feel really tempted to just stick to it. By the way, the hit is all in the battery voltage. I almost coughed up a lung from my roommate's tank unit, while my little cigarette lookalike just does the job of putting nicotine in my body.

iAm wrote:
Some dispensaries even have thc filled versions of those, too.

My roommate tried some of the liquid in his, but his voltage didn't burn it right. I don't smoke weed, but I have an appreciation of stoner culture, so in theory this would be an awesome idea because after all, smoke is the drug(ie nicotine, thc, crack, etc) with carbon monoxide and other noxious, carcinogenic chemicals, while vapor is just the drug(and obviously artificial flavors in the case of e-cigs).

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

Not sure if you prefer tobacco flavors or sweets-type flavors, but if the former, check out Vapor Station. If it wasn't for their Tampa and Frisco, I probably wouldn't have been able to make the transition. Really good stuff. I also recommend Boba's Bounty from Alien ejuice, Black Jack from Diyflavorshack, and most of the juices from Halo, to name a few.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:17 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Volcano vapes are love. Volcano vapes are life.

:beer:

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:06 pm 

My Stepdad got one and I tried it. Really wasn't my thing and apparently he thought the same and got back to real cigs pretty fast. To me, it's as well not comparable to the real thing and instead...if anything, it's more like a portable micro-hookah than a cigarette.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm 

I only vape weed, the whole E-cigarrete thing seems a bit silly to me. But this is coming from someone who almost never smokes cigarettes, only occasionally when I'm drunk. I do smoke a fair amount of cigarillos and cigars, though.

CF_Mono wrote:
Some people use them as a way to justify smoking in a restaurant or something.

Honestly if you want tobacco inside that much, why not just use chew or dip? I bring chewing tobacco to the bar every now and again, and it's never a big deal.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 pm 

I still don't understand no smoking in bars.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
I still don't understand no smoking in bars.

Because... not everyone likes smoke? I know in some places it's law, but even if it wasn't, I wouldn't want to be the bar owner that allowed smoking. That's a good potential chunck of customers you're alienating by allowing smoke to fill the room.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 pm 

It also works the other way around. In the Netherlands a good percentage of smaller bar owners saw their income rapidly decrease because of the no smoking law. After a lot of protests the law was changed so that it doesn't include the smaller bars anymore.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 pm 

When it comes to the righteous herb I don't really enjoy vaporizing. Every time I'm offered the opportunity, I feel like I could get more out of taking a monster bong rip. Never have I gotten absolutely obliterated from a vape, but bongs do it to me every time.

I've quit smoking tobacco aside from the occasional (usually annual) cigar and blunts, but I have my doubts about the e-cigarette. I don't think there has been enough research on it (specifically the nicotine packs) to safely say that it is less harmful than smoking cigarettes or dipping. Then again this is just personal speculation so I could be completely wrong. It does seem like it is relatively safer than dip or cigarettes, but at the end of the day I'm not sure if I completely believe that it is a "solution".

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:17 pm 

If vapes don't do it for you, you simply didn't vape enough. Ex-bong ripper.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
I'm surprised there are people here who still haven't heard of these. They're getting thrown around like crazy these days. As a non-smoker they still piss me off though. Some people use them as a way to justify smoking in a restaurant or something. The hell man.

The vapor dissipates quickly and doesn't really leave a smell behind. Provided they don't exhale in your face, what's so bad about it?

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:49 pm 

A friend of mine is trying to quit smoking and he buys those white ones that have the blue light in the end. I actually tried it myself. It comes in a variety of flavours like cherry, strawberry and coffee. Its just like inhaling flavored air I guess that has some smokey texture. He used it in a pub and no one could tell him anything because he does not have a smell just a hint like some kind of perfume maybe. Its more of a habit thing - it does not have nicotine in it. But they cost like 8$ which is exactly as a pack of cigarets. So money wise its not really efficient but efficient on the health.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:23 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
it is less harmful.

Not if you have a heart problem...
I say that as a 24 year-old on meds for high blood pressure.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm 

I tried them and I do enjoy them, but I'm too lazy to permanently switch to them. I still buy my regular Newports.

Not to derail the thread, but anyone here dip or chew?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:08 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but anyone here dip or chew?

Yeah, I like my Red Man. We have to buy it in bulk because they don't have it where I go to school. When my friend goes back to Alberta he usually brings back 25 packs.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:02 pm 

One of my buddies does Red Man. Last time I was with him I was gonna try some but I just forgot to ask him for it. Usually I do Grizzly Wintergreen. I've tried the Skoal fruit flavored ones. I like them, they aren't bad but I wouldn't make them my main thing. I recently tried Stoker's from one of my buddies. It was the most moist dip I've had so far, really good stuff. It's hard to come by though, atleast here.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:11 pm 

Red Man is very much worth trying. Not the biggest buzz ever, but the taste is well worth it. For dip, I usually do Copenhagen. The taste is decent and it packs one hell of a buzz. Probably four times what I usually feel from Red Man. I've tried the Skoal Bandit pouches before, and I completely hated them. Absolute shit taste, and I'm not big on pouches anyway.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:56 pm 

I started out with pouches but now I don't like them. They don't pack that much compared to regular, and don't give out as much juice if you ask me.

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 am 

Yahko wrote:
A friend of mine is trying to quit smoking and he buys those white ones that have the blue light in the end. I actually tried it myself. It comes in a variety of flavours like cherry, strawberry and coffee. Its just like inhaling flavored air I guess that has some smokey texture. He used it in a pub and no one could tell him anything because he does not have a smell just a hint like some kind of perfume maybe. Its more of a habit thing - it does not have nicotine in it. But they cost like 8$ which is exactly as a pack of cigarets. So money wise its not really efficient but efficient on the health.

Disposables are really inefficient and greatly bother me. I hated it when the battery would die and I knew there was still liquid in there, not to mention adding more toxic batteries to landfills.

On another note, my tank unit just came in. I just plugged it in to my roommates passthrough and I have to say I am more than satisfied with the vapor productions, and thats after a stepdown from 16mg to 11mg.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm 

I have a vaporizer that you put your own oils in(they sell flavored nicotine for it) and I usually put hash oil mixed with one of the flavors. Pretty good for when in public.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 am 

That shit makes me feel like I'm sucking robot dick, I'll take my Marlboros, thank you very much.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm 

Its popular around here, just in general, as a way to smoke and not have as many side effects of normal cigs. I've honestly considered starting that if I want some nicotine, as I'm not a fan of dipping/chewing, and straight smoking kills me. (Asthma.)

I've always heard of putting hash oil and THC in them, and that sound nice and interesting... but I don't know where I would get either oil, nor would I want to make my own.

Reply to topic