Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
@ yentass

There is only one kind of death. So yeah, dead is dead. I didn't say anything about the way of dying. Again, I have nothing against the fear of dying. It's the fear of the state of being dead that is irrational to me.

The state of being dead is no kind of experience, so I have to agree with you there. But death is what limits our time being alive, and many of us try to fill that time with some sort of meaning. The problem is that in our experience the time that is still availiable to be filled with meaning is only the future, whereas the past is already set. But the possible remaining future gets less and less as we approach the age at which we expect to die. Fear of being dead, or rather: not being anymore, makes sense only when taken as the fear of the time where all of our lifetime is past and there is no future for us, because all of our existence is set and defined, and we are absolutely unable to change anything about it. Of course we won't be able to be upset about it whent the time has come, so we are upset about it now.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:31 pm 

WAS IST IST. The only thing eternal about me is my disdain for the fact that I'm going to die. That and my love for my family. I'm entirely inflexible about that. Even if a life beyond this one exists, I'll either forget them or not be able to reach them, and that's completely infuriating. There's nothing to be done about it, just life savored while it's here. My beliefs turned sour when I found them distracting me from living; future-tripping and shadow-boxing while sand ran through the hour glass.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
EoH wrote:
a picture in here a few pages back of a child wearing an anti gay shirt, if I had seen that in person I Probably would've slapped the parent across the face.

Thus daring them to turn the other cheek. I like your approach. :) It's clear that those people are emotional sideshows.

Ever thought of going out and protesting idiot Christians for taking the Lord's name in vain?

I have found a group I would actually go out and protest and most likely physically assault. Its this W.B.C group, I would do some very un-Christian like things to them if I ever encountered them. I can't fucking stand people like this.

Edit: I realize that this statement probably makes me loose any shred or credibility I may have had going for me before but so be it. It infuriates me to no end when people like that do the things they do and claim it be for God. I also realize that by making my statement it makes me little to no better than them but again I'm just a mere man and sometimes anger bests me.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 am 

Winnetka Bible Church?
World Baseball Classic?
World Barista Championship?

:) not sure who you mean. what's up with them?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 am 

They are a crazy fringe group of Christianity, that none of the other churches will even recognize, that do all that protesting at funerals and what not. There was some mention of them in the FFA cause they are planning to protest in Boston after the marathon tragedy.

Azmodes wrote:

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I have found a group I would actually go out and protest and most likely physically assault. Its this W.B.C group, I would do some very un-Christian like things to them if I ever encountered them. I can't fucking stand people like this.

their vile injurious words shouldn't be tolerated, beat them, do violence unto them, show them how a true Christian behaves, give them a teaching like they won't forget in a month of sundays, Hallelujah :thumbsup:

"Ignorant things said by religious people" I FOUND ONE, I FOUND ONE ! :hyper: :lol:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 am 

I didn't say it was very Christian of me now did I, after all I'm only human and there's only so much a man can take before he snaps.

Azmodes wrote:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm 

I didn't say it was very Christian of me now did I, after all I'm only human and there's only so much a man can take before he snaps.

That's the spirit.

Oh, the Westoboro Baptist Church, right. The ones who get drowned out by Hell's Angels now and again.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 am 

Christianity has historically been exceptionally violent, so on could argue that being "un-Christian" would be holding to pacifist and non-aggressive ideals...

I recently heard a really admirable imam speaking on an Australian show, who had many truly meaningful ideas to express; unfortunately, he mentioned that, according to the teachings of Islam, evolution occurs within a species only; one species does not evolve into another. This struck me as utterly wilful ignorance; how can someone not see that the concept of a 'species' is a completely human construct and that all flora and fauna and micro-life (like all physical elements) is derived from forms preceeding it, and the idea of an end-product, like the human race is purely a temporal illusion...?

I realised there's no reasoning with the wilfully ignorant.

edited out some gibberish....:D

Last edited by Acidgobblin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 am 

At least give him a credit for trying...
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:49 pm 

I'd like to think, if there is a God, he'd probably be totally okay with someone giving the Westboro Baptist Church some grief.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:16 pm 

Just saw this thread. Haven't done the Internet atheism thing in a while, so...

"Ignorant things said by religious people" - here's my example: I can't keep away from campus preachers, because I'm a moron/masochist, but I dialogued a bit with one who made the claim that I, as an atheist, was surely an immoral person. I asked him why he thought so. He asked me two questions: "Are you married?" No. "Are you a virgin?" No. "I rest my case!"

Also, I was teaching a class earlier today, and I managed to offend a few religious students. I wasn't trying to; I just couldn't help but giggle a bit when I brought up the notion of everlasting bliss, and how impossible it is to fathom it as anything but everlasting boredom, ultimately. The students let me know that my giggles were not appreciated. It was unpleasant, and it actually made me feel quite bad - evidence of how effective the social taboos against this sort of behavior are. Meh.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Well it sure beats getting a pineapple shoved up your ass every day for eternity now doesn't it.

Now the Christians who say explicit things like that about hell couldn't possibly be closet gays could they? I've been wondering that.

Actually, coming back to this, there's a fair amount of religious people who will make these types of claims and the time that they've spent to think that stuff up says something.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 pm 

^
Xlxlx wrote:
For the record (because everybody thinks I was serious and now it's not funny) the whole pineapple up the ass thing was Satan's punishment for Hitler in the movie Little Nicky. I figured at least a few people would have gotten that oh well. But yeah I was totally kidding.

You could've picked a better movie though :-P

Azmodes wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm 

I understand your parody, I'm just saying what I said has some relevance to the original topic.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:54 pm 

Ohh, yeah I totally agree with you on that. I'm was just making sure you didn't miss that since most everybody thought I was serious about the pineapple thing.

Azmodes wrote:

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm 

megalowho wrote:
Also, I was teaching a class earlier today, and I managed to offend a few religious students. I wasn't trying to; I just couldn't help but giggle a bit when I brought up the notion of everlasting bliss, and how impossible it is to fathom it as anything but everlasting boredom, ultimately. The students let me know that my giggles were not appreciated. It was unpleasant, and it actually made me feel quite bad - evidence of how effective the social taboos against this sort of behavior are. Meh.

A part of me thinks that an individual should be respectful towards religions, but a greater part of me wonders why that idea is even present in modern society... Why should we have to actually respect anyones opinion? Especially when it revolves around a blind faith that has cemented an outdated moral code into the acutual legal system of the country I live in. I would agree that tolerance is relatively important but I certainly don't know why in this case anymore....

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 am 

Guys, if you want something to chew on, here's Wild Bill. He has such fine videos as: "The Green Panther Pervert Jihad Party" "Rapists for Gun Control" and "Dead Atheists".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Dv3qxadjc Warning, he's going to mention Kim Jong Il and Christopher Hitchens in the same sentence.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 pm 

^Another fine example: "God doesn't send people to Hell. People choose to go to Hell." (It's in his "Hell 101" video.)

It's so perverse that I'm not even sure to begin.

Take Bob the atheist. Bob recognizes that there's something fishy about the claim that some particular collection of supernatural stories from antiquity holds the key to everlasting bliss. Bob recognizes that any attempt to justify this claim is pretty much hopeless. Bob recognizes how much of a stretch it would be for him to say "Intellectual honesty is a virtue, and I generally try to be intellectually honest; but I nevertheless eagerly accept the unjustifiable claims of Christianity."

Now the idea is that "Bob generally tries to be intellectually honest" is the same in this case as "Bob voluntarily chooses to be endlessly tormented." To the one we say "Good for you, Bob. That's something to strive for"; to the other we say "Unless you are telling a bizarre joke, you are in the utmost need of intensive psychiatric treatment. Maybe even some neurosurgery...?"

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 pm 

I had a conversation (that is ongoing....I've just been horribly lazy) with a certain upstanding fellow here about the importance of doubt and faith - I would very much like to point you guys in the direction of Peter Rollins...and his theology of doubt, very interesting and sound thinking.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm 

Thanks, PhilosophicalFrog. I'll keep an eye out for How (Not) to Speak of God next time I go to the bookstore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Rollins

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Well it sure beats getting a pineapple shoved up your ass every day for eternity now doesn't it.

Actually, coming back to this, there's a fair amount of religious people who will make these types of claims and the time that they've spent to think that stuff up says something.

Thinking at GAY SPEED. Honestly my first thought was "Well, no matter which direction it goes in, it has to come out the other way, so choose carefully." That took me all of three seconds.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm 

Yeah, right off the bat I can say I've heard atheists spout so much lunacy it's unbelievable. Also, Naperos story about Finnish schools is great.

DreamTheater3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 am 

When I expressed my opinion on supporting homosexuality, someone budded in and called it disgusting and specifically quoted from the Bible before saying "I hate fags". Hypocrisy, much?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:17 pm 

^Haha .. yeah. I had a stupid conversation with my friend the other day (who's "spiritual", not religious) which went basically like this:

him: so you think that disliking homosexuality is dumb
me: yeah .. basically. It's pretty dumb.
him: Well I think it's unnatural.
me: what?
him: It's unnatural. Two men who fuck can't make a baby.
me: so?
him: a world full of homosexuals is a dead world.
me: That's never going to happen, man.
him: No it's never going to happen, but they can't make babies!
me: Yes they can; all they need is a woman.
him: yeah but two men who fuck can't make a baby.
me: uh .. yeah .. duh.
him: yeah .. duh.
me: anything after that, anything based on that .. is dumb.
him: *blank stare*

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
^Haha .. yeah. I had a stupid conversation with my friend the other day (who's "spiritual", not religious) which went basically like this:

him: so you think that disliking homosexuality is dumb
me: yeah .. basically. It's pretty dumb.
him: Well I think it's unnatural.
me: what?
him: It's unnatural. Two men who fuck can't make a baby.
me: so?
him: a world full of homosexuals is a dead world.
me: That's never going to happen, man.
him: No it's never going to happen, but they can't make babies!
me: Yes they can; all they need is a woman.
him: yeah but two men who fuck can't make a baby.
me: uh .. yeah .. duh.
him: yeah .. duh.
me: anything after that, anything based on that .. is dumb.
him: *blank stare*

The "can't produce children" argument is functionally retarded. Are infertile or "fixed" people now restricted from marriages? What about older couples, post-menopause? What about the willfully childless?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm 

The "can't produce children" argument is basically irrelevant in today's society. We've got about 7 billion people living on this planet, probably more by the time I finish this sentence. Not all of them are being fed, raised properly, or given decent medical attention. We need to produce less children if you ask me.

"It's irresponsible to have more than one child. Have one, replacement value for yourself. Don't even replace your husband. He's done enough fucking damage as it is." - G.C.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 pm 

People who care what other people do in their free time - homosexuality being the main target these days - are just fucking lunatics who have no lives. If it's not hurting anyone else, who gives a fuck?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
The "can't produce children" argument is basically irrelevant in today's society. We've got about 7 billion people living on this planet, probably more by the time I finish this sentence. Not all of them are being fed, raised properly, or given decent medical attention. We need to produce less children if you ask me.

Empyreal wrote:
People who care what other people do in their free time - homosexuality being the main target these days - are just fucking lunatics who have no lives. If it's not hurting anyone else, who gives a fuck?

These two comments. I endorse them fully.

darknessofqueen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 am 

Let's not forget when some homophobic men keep saying that gay men are repulsive while they're fapping to lesbian porn.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:11 pm 

darknessofqueen wrote:
Let's not forget when some homophobic men keep saying that gay men are repulsive while they're fapping to lesbian porn.

That's because if you're attracted to women then seeing two of them engaging in sex doesn't make it "repulsive". I'm not homophobic, but I still wouldn't want to see two men having sex.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:33 pm 

But he was talking about the hipocrisy of specifically homophobic men who like lesbian porn.

Here's some funny shit from the ignorant people of r/atheism:
http://i.imgur.com/uAp5kcR.jpg?1
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm 

That's amazing! :lol:

It disturbs me how those atheists are so gun ho on praising Dawkins without question.... "such a strong leader, HIS power will triumph" "Dawkins is truth!" :ugh: I'm sure Dawkins would find this to be a little disturbing as well.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm 

I think you missed the joke there, henkjelle.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm 

I could be wrong, but the way I see it someone posted a hitler quote disguised as a dawkins quote on r/atheism, and the people on r/atheism upvoted it..... Now, I did read it again, and the upvoting could also be the doing of 4chan..... but wouldn't that sort of destroy the comedic effect? Getting a high post rating by spamming is not exactly hard to accomplish.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm 

Regarding the comments, I mean. Those comments you quoted are clearly meant to be Hitler references, not someone's serious thoughts on Dawkins.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 pm 

Yeah, you are right. I guess I was thrown off by inhumanist's description: Here's some funny shit from the ignorant people of r/atheism. I was expecting ignorant atheists, not a lazy and common 4chan hitler pun prank. :/ Oh, and I just slapped myself for not noticing the unbelievable obvious Arbeit macht frei.

EDIT. On a more serious note, I'm pretty sure that there a lot of people who just blindly believe everything a Dawkins/Hitches says considering the general uprise op atheism. Just because people don't believe in a deity anymore doesn't have to mean that they've gotten any smarter. People will still feel the need to look up to an authoritative figure.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 pm 

The idea that atheists are generally as blind and dogmatic as theists is theist propaganda against atheists. Atheists who spread these ideas are useful idiots.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

I know that some theistic organizations use that invalid argument against atheism, but not all atheists are of equal intelligence. So wouldn't it be fair to say that when the atheistic population grows, more people with a less than above average intelligence will become atheists as well? Not all people care about researching things for themselves, so when atheism becomes the norm (let's hope it will be the norm in the future) there will still be large amounts of people that will just lap up the things that are said to them.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:47 pm 

Regarding Dawkins, he's a bit of a shit anyway. He had a go at a journalist for being Muslim (more specifically the flying horse bit, to which there's evidence in the Koran that Mohammed was actually hallucinating but w/e) and that because of that he shouldn't work at whatever magazine it was (either the New Statesman or the Economist, can't remember which) because of these beliefs. Regardless of the fact that he was basically encouraging religious discrimination, the journalist in question simply responded by saying it was a shame that Dawkins was having a go at him like that, considering how it had been his idea to have Dawkins guest-edit one of their issues.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next