Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:27 am 

Well, I watched antichrist on 2 days without sleep. As far as the gore and sex scenes that all the critics were crying about, really? Sure, they're graphic, but not long and make sense in context. It reminds me of threads crossed with some serious mindscrew. The only part that startled me was the famous fox scene, just because of how sudden it was. Still, interesting stuff but I want to do some reasearch onto some of the symbolism to see if there was anything behind it or if it was just running on smoke.

Speaking of threads, that and 'when the wind blows' were the last two non anime movies i've watched. Threads impresses me more, but it's mostly a question of scale and unrelenting grimness, while while the wind blows is softened by a lot of senile whimsy.

On the complete other side of films, this one had more cracking up with glee of how anvilicious it's message is (IT'S A WAR ON CHRISTMAS, hell bill o'reilly even shows up and has a cameo in 2 minutes of the movie through a tv tuned to fox newss), if you are in the mood for mst3king something or a bad movie night, this is a prime target. Last ounce of courage:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5iue0Wi3gY. You know those choirs? Nah, they're aren't just for the trailer. He even rides the motorcycle saying 'I love my country, and I love bein' freeeh' with it in the background. Here, it's on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkA8JR2p_tQ

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:34 pm 

I saw Ronin a few days ago on Netflix. A pretty damn good crime thriller starring Robert De Niro and Jean Reno. Good action, good story, and the best damn car chases I've ever seen in a movie.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm 

Oh yeah man, Ronin is fucking awesome. Not mentioned with De Niro's best films often enough.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm 

It was ghost written by David Mamet. Would you expect any less?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:39 am 

I was looking for a movie to watch with my lady friend and I remembered you guys talking about some decent "hand-held cam" films. So I downloaded The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

... :lol:

needless to say, not the best date film.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:41 am 

I'm sure you still pulled it off!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:02 am 

Well, I turned it off, and we watched the new episode of Game of Thrones instead.

I thought it was interesting, I'm a psychology person, but she kept cringing and stuff so I wanted to spare her.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:00 am 

I just saw This is Spinal Tap a couple of days ago. How I regret not having watched it before..

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:24 am 

Slither - 3.5/5

I really liked this film years ago when it came out, but I guess I've just seen too many other movies in the intervening years, because this was pretty disposable. I still had some fun with parts of it, and all the actors seemed to be having a blast, but there just isn't a whole lot to really bite into in terms of substance. It's not terribly funny and, while the gore scenes are good and the tension a bit higher than crap like Feast, this is mostly just one of the many cliche comedy/horror films that were all the rage back at the time. Still better than the billion and one Exorcist ripoffs we have now though...ugh.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
I saw Ronin a few days ago on Netflix. A pretty damn good crime thriller starring Robert De Niro and Jean Reno. Good action, good story, and the best damn car chases I've ever seen in a movie.

All I remember it being was a Mission Impossible/ Gone In 60 Seconds cash in and a glorified plug to sell slick European luxury sedans.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:41 am 

Seeking Justice: This looked like a horrible movie, but I watched it because the premise seemed alright and it has Nicolas Cage. Well, I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it's quite mediocre and doesn't possess a modicum of originality. Cage is good in it, but he can't elevate a predictable script. The first half hour or so is solid enough, turning into basically Death Wish with a twist, but when all the conspiracy stuff starts coming in, it all starts falling apart pretty quickly. The ending has it's own little "forget it, it's Chinatown" nod, but by then I was just waiting for it to end. Not terrible, but or worth watching.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:55 am 

Is your Cage-A-Thon going to include that one shitty movie he directed? Because if it doesn't, you clearly have no business Cage-A-Thon-ing.

Also, Stolen, the extremely recent Taken-cum-heist-thriller Cage film, was bad but totally watchable. That one directed by Joel Schumacher with Cage and Kidman, however, was complete garbage, and I say this as the single biggest Kidman fan on this board... possibly net.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:07 am 

I've considered Sonny but I don't know. It doesn't strike me one way or another. I might watch it drunk at some point.
Stolen is on Netflix but it looked like the worst thing ever so I didn't plan on watching it. 2011 movie + Cage running on the cover? No thanks.

It's hard to pick a favourite Cage movie, but Bad Lieutenant would certainly be in my top three. If y'all haven't seen that, it's worth it. Herzog harnessed his insanity expertly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am 

Leaving Las Vegas is really good.

I agree about 8mm, pretty terrible film...I liked it when I was about 14 or so but now it's just exploitative, poor-taste crap.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 am 

I watched Zero Dark Thirty for the second time recently and it reinforced my belief that the first batch of critics who saw the film and panned it as a Riefenstahlic glorification of torture came to the screening drunk and hungover after spending the last few days binge-drinking and snorting coke at whatever high-society, pinkies-out parties/film festivals the self-conscious elite of Hollywood hang out at.

For those of you who haven't seen the film yet, and especially for anyone here who is consciously or unconsciously boycotting the film for moral reasons, this is what you need to know about the films depiction of torture or "enhanced interrogation:"

1. It is brutal
2. With one or two caveats, it is highly accurate
3. It gives the impression it was pervasive in the early 2000's
4. It makes the viewer feel complicit in it
5. Most importantly, it doesn't work. The only viable intelligence from the torture program the filmmakers show is procured when the CIA stops torturing one of the detainees, takes him out of the torture chamber, and gives him food. How it is that virtually every allegedly impartial film critic could miss this point is beyond me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Leaving Las Vegas is really good.

That movie was a good Cage movie because Cage was on a couch for most of it. Elizabeth Shue was the one who made that movie great.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 pm 

A "Cage-A-Thon" sounds like my worst nightmare.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 pm 

Said me a year ago ^

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMn9gvTgMFg

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

My favorite 80s comedy. So fucking funny.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
I watched Zero Dark Thirty for the second time recently and it reinforced my belief that the first batch of critics who saw the film and panned it as a Riefenstahlic glorification of torture came to the screening drunk and hungover after spending the last few days binge-drinking and snorting coke at whatever high-society, pinkies-out parties/film festivals the self-conscious elite of Hollywood hang out at. For those of you who haven't seen the film yet, and especially for anyone here who is consciously or unconsciously boycotting the film for moral reasons, this is what you need to know about the films depiction of torture or "enhanced interrogation:

Who would consciously boycott this film? Unless you're a left wing-nut who pre-judges films based on your political interests. And when did seeing a film certify that you agree with it? I personally have a hard time understanding why this film should be off limits but World Trade Center and United 93 get the golden tick of approval. I haven't yet seen it but I hardly think it'll raise an eyebrow any more than Unthinkable did.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

My favorite 80s comedy. So fucking funny.

I'd rank Airplane! just above it, but they're both legendary.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 am 

Dead Man: This movie was great. An acid western that appears generally plotless but is really a metaphorical journey towards death, rife with symbolism and allusions. It's subtle, shot in gorgeous black and white, and has a perfect guitar based soundtrack my Neil Young. The scenes are like a series of vignettes exploring different themes, and the ending is beautiful. This is one to think about. But it's also quite drawn out and by no means a western based on action. So if you have no patience for methodical unfurling, pass on it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 am 

The trailer of Hemlock Grove looks good. It seemed all over the place in the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vlFJmh6ktU

Spoiler: show
But damn, the "transformation" bit towards the end seems pretty credible!

Last edited by shouvince on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 pm 

New trailer for Man of Steel. Well holy shit it looks like Zack Snyder's finally going to be coming out with a genuinely good movie! Watching the trailer and noticing the Malicky way it's shot and the lack of his almost trademarked slow-mo (along with what looks like an actually well written script which I'm almost certain he had no involvement in), color me excited.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:22 pm 

Chris Nolan and David S. Goyer wrote it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

I dunno, it looks OK, but I'm still not entirely sold on it. It could easily turn out to be a bunch of pretentious nonsense like The Dark Knight Rises or Watchmen/300. Might be Snyder's best yet, but really how much is that saying? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
noticing the Malicky way it's shot

Do you even know what you're saying?

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
PrinceRhaegar wrote:
noticing the Malicky way it's shot

Do you even know what you're saying?

Yep. Looking at cinematography I, personally, am reminded of Terrence Malick. Of course it's not gonna be anything like Malick's movies as far as themes, characters, and plot go, but going purely by how it looks visually I think the styles are similar, especially comparing it to Snyder's previous movies. This mostly has to do with the shots on the farm, and the wagon and young Clark with the cape, and less with the scenes of Superman punching people mid-flight.

Empyreal wrote:
I dunno, it looks OK, but I'm still not entirely sold on it. It could easily turn out to be a bunch of pretentious nonsense like The Dark Knight Rises or Watchmen/300. Might be Snyder's best yet, but really how much is that saying? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Admittedly it's not saying much. And maybe it's just because this is gonna be PG-13, but that alone should keep Snyder from going crazy with his completely over the top violence which is (among a few other things) what ruined Watchmen for me. The fact that Nolan probably restrained him a bit and a score coming from an accomplished composer (seriously did you guys FUCKING HEAR THAT?) instead of that hack Tyler Bates gives me a bit more hope too.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Last edited by PrinceRhaegar on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Please explain why The Dark Knight Rises is pretentious, and especially Watchmen considering it's done shot for shot with the comic, which is an intelligently written story that changed the way comics could be perceived and told, a landmark from which countless others have borrowed from since. I've heard numerous times that "there wasn't enough action" and "it was too dramatic" (all from people who never read the book) but nothing ever relating to it being pretentious. I'm assuming you still haven't seen Dawn of the Dead so I don't think you can weigh in too heavily.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:09 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Please explain why The Dark Knight Rises is pretentious, and especially Watchmen considering it's done shot for shot with the comic, which is an intelligently written story that changed the way comics could be perceived and told, a landmark from which countless others have borrowed from since. I've heard numerous times that "there wasn't enough action" and "it was too dramatic" (all from people who never read the book) but nothing ever relating to it being pretentious. I'm assuming you still haven't seen Dawn of the Dead so I don't think you can weigh in too heavily.

Watchmen wasn't that pretentious I guess, so much as it was just meaningless special effects crap that kind of missed the point of the book. It's weird because it was basically the same thing as the book, just so much less enjoyable. A lot of gore, a lot of effects, but it was just a lot of huffing and puffing in place of actual meaning. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. I just felt like Snyder wasn't focusing on the message and themes of the book so much as "hey, here's some action and gore!" Like the themes were just in the background.

Dark Knight Rises, same thing; a lot of showing off, a lot of dramatic huffing and puffing, but it was basically ludicrous plot-wise and had no ground to stand on except a few good action scenes here and there. Basically a meaningless movie, too, which is a shame because the other two Nolan ones had very well done themes and plot motifs.

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

I think people throw that word around when they feel a film was ambitious but didn't quite live up to that ambition. It's a silly criticism to make, because it implies objectivity and one cannot know if the filmmakers were pretending to make films into something they're not (this is similar to the 'is it fair to call songs filler' discussion in the reviews thread).
I never read the graphic novel but I liked Watchmen. Alan Moore wants nothing to do with it, but I'm pretty sure his belief that it is an unfaithful bastardization of an interpretation is somewhat influenced by the state of the comics industry and how he doesn't have any rights to his stories (or something).

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:37 pm 

Watchmen, the director's cut at least, was an atrocity. A three-hour wash of parodoxically half-baked yet predigested pseudo-intellectual garbage replete with horrendous overblown performances and some of the worst dialog ever committed to digital celluloid ("screams like an abattoir of retarded children"-- FEEL THE EDGE, MOTHERFUCKERS!@!!1). The original graphic novel, of which I've actually read twice, wasn't much better at all. Alan Moore has no ear for naturalistic dialog and has apparently never learned how to weave exposition into plot action; there's lengthy sections of the novel where people just explain the fucking plot with next to no motivation to do so. It's like a fucking highschool play. Moore is a far, far cry from legitimately great comic book authors like Marjane Satrapi, Daniel Clowes, Harvey Pekar and Art Spiegelman, and it's absolutely depressing he's so often clumped with these revolutionary artists.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Watchmen wasn't that pretentious I guess, so much as it was just meaningless special effects crap that kind of missed the point of the book. It's weird because it was basically the same thing as the book, just so much less enjoyable. A lot of gore, a lot of effects, but it was just a lot of huffing and puffing in place of actual meaning. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. I just felt like Snyder wasn't focusing on the message and themes of the book so much as "hey, here's some action and gore!" Like the themes were just in the background.

I felt the slow-mo was a little overdone the first time I saw it and I still think the sex scene is unnecessary, but the exclusion of the Pirate story was much needed. By no means is it a knock-out movie, the graphic novel is superior, but it certainly isn't as flop worthy as everyone makes out. Considering the movie had been written off as unfilmable for some time, I think the message and the visuals of the book were accurately brought across, sparking deep emotions that registered on a lower level when reading. Plus on subsequent viewings I found the slow-mo to be not nearly as bad as when in the cinema, something about the first time watching that makes it seem longer.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 pm 

[quote="darkeningday"] :nono: Comparing Alan Moore with Harvey Pekar, a man that had no variation and only told his life story. Someone who couldn't think up a fictional story if his life depended on it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm 

I'd take an uneducated guy writing about virtually nothing over an uneducated guy trying to be (and subsequently thinking he is) Czeslaw Milosz any. fucking. day.

There's a sort of tragic truth to all of Harvey Pekar's works. Daniel Clowes as well. That's the direction I'd like the medium to move in, but it obviously won't because you can't sell a comic book without some sort of fantasy edge today, it seems.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 am 

I've been meaning to read Maus for a long time, my brother highly recommended it to me. The premise sounds really cool.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 am 

Maus is the sort of work that could be framed and put up on display in the Smithsonian, far as I'm concerned. In The Shadow of No Towers is very, very good as well, although it isn't better than Maus.

Since this is primarily a film thread I feel compelled to point out that In The Shadow of No Towers is an infinitely more accurate--and, most importantly, an infinitely more respectful--adaption of the 9/11 tragedy than Oliver Stone's execrable "World Trade Center."

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 am 

I like the Watchmen graphic novel, but it certainly doesn't deserve its absurdly high status. I think part of the main reason it got so much attention was that it dealt with fairly serious themes while still appealing to mainstream comic fans way more than something like Maus or Ghost World or Black Hole or Love & Rockets ever would. On the superhero front, Black Summer was probably a better examination of superheroes confronting real-world issues, though it has a lot less commentary on comics themselves.

But yeah, to get back to movies, the Watchmen movie was pretty bad and by inserting all of that slick, ultra-choreographed violence, managed to pretty much totally miss the point of the graphic novel. One thing I really liked about the graphic novel was how it never got all hung up on the heroes' powers, or the battles, or any of that. It was more about them attempting to deal with society than about them vs. the baddie of the day. The movie made it way more actiony, and honestly Zack Snyder just wasn't the sort of person who should have handled it at all. It needed a much more lo-fi touch, not the slick, overproduced shit Zack Snyder is known for.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I'd take an uneducated guy writing about virtually nothing over an uneducated guy trying to be (and subsequently thinking he is) Czeslaw Milosz any. fucking. day.

You missed my point. They are entirely different story tellers, one deals with bits and pieces from his own life while the other deals with all walks of fiction, creating dialogue from his imagination, that's like comparing Stanley Kubrick with Judd Apatow or Charlton Heston with Jim Carrey. Anyway, thinking of a fictional character's thoughts and dreams which is entirely new is infinitely more harder than being a sour-puss and complaining about everyday life. I can find Pekar's words on any facebook status update or self-centred blog post, the daily drivel of a debbie downer. A case in point is why Harvey Pekar never did anything that was fiction. I don't even like Alan Moore apart from his work with Watchmen but you're wrong in your utterance of which is better.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401 ... 818  Next