* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
You mean this?

I already got this. Why u no give me something new, BS?!

:|

Yeah, I mean, it's a great riff and all, but... we have definitely already heard that one.

At least Ozzy sounds coherent for those three seconds...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:41 am 

It sounded ok. Ozzy sounded like shit predictably, but the riff was ok I guess. Why can't they just release a full song?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 am 

I think this album will go down in history with mixed reviews, it'll be solid and better than Psycho Man or Selling My Soul but those who don't the production will disapprove.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 am 

That clip sounds great. Really looking forward to hearing this.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:49 am 

I dislike short teasers because they never do the song justice.

That being said, this sounds pretty cool. Surpasses my expectations already.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm 

The clip sounds awesome and I'm super hyped about 13 now. I just wish the album had a better title and cover art.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:44 pm 

Loving the cover art. Dark and foreboding. Actually, it reminds me of the folksy vibe of the first album. Now the sample sounded good, though similar to Hole In The Sky...

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:43 pm 

Cover looked lame as hell at first, but after looking at it closer it's not so bad. Kinda eerie.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 pm 

Wow. What a terribly stupid cover art for a terribly stupid album name. And about how Ozzy sounds... he should have quit the music business right after Bark At the Moon. Period.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:24 pm 

The artwork is top-notch in and of itself; it just falls flat because of the blandness of the title and the concept thereof: the first shocker here is that no, '13' is not the lame working title after all, it's the lame actual title.

The sound job is also surprisingly okay, considering.

As I've pointed out and others have also noticed, the issue with this first glimpse of the actual album is rehashing "Hole in the Sky" a million years after the fact. Additionally, as far as one can judge a vocal performance level from "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" (what's the next line gonna be? "is this reality or is it just a dream?" or "together forever"? I can't quite decide just yet; I'll have to flip a coin, huh?), Ozzy sucks but not quite as much as was to be expected. I had braced myself for the mother of blackholes, I'm treated to a €10 whore instead. Things could be worse. Then again, they could also be better. Meh and see. I repeat: wait and meh.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 pm 

I will never understand how people hear completely different songs as the same just because they use the same scale.

Edit: Oh... Ok, I went back and listened to Hole in the Sky, I can hear how the groove is really exactly the same too. That's what kills it.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 pm 

I think it's way too early to judge it as a whole right now, as all we've actually heard were just 25 seconds. Are you really going to judge a whole album based on a 25 second snippet? What justice would that do?

Basing off that, I think it sounds pretty good. Pretty cool riff although the drumming sounded slightly basic and the following groove wasn't too great, but as a whole it was still decent. Although I will say that Ozzy sounded like he was talking through a teleprompter. Hopefully the rest of it is better though. They've got a lot to live up to because of all the hype they've given it; all that talk about how the old Sabbath inspiration is back and how it'll reach back to their roots again. Let's see if they can actually prove that. I sure hope they do.

On a side note, I hope Geezer is writing more of the lyrics because Ozzy's lyrics fucking suck.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Pretty cool riff although the drumming sounded slightly basic...

It's Black Sabbath, not Dream Theater. Of course the drumming is more stripped down and not hitting a zillion things at once.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 pm 

...Cmon dude, you're a drummer yourself. Bill Ward's drumming was anything but stripped down.
Hehe, foreskins.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 pm 

Subrick wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Pretty cool riff although the drumming sounded slightly basic...

It's Black Sabbath, not Dream Theater. Of course the drumming is more stripped down and not hitting a zillion things at once.

Well no shit. I don't expect him to go full blast to the point where his sticks are a v-shaped blur or anything, but Bill Ward's drumming was far from basic. Probably because of all the jazz he did in their stuff. I just think he could have come up with something more interesting with the riffs that were being played.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:08 am 

Crick wrote:
...Cmon dude, you're a drummer yourself. Bill Ward's drumming was anything but stripped down.

I never said Ward's drumming is stripped down. I'm just saying people shouldn't be surprised that the drumming in a Black Sabbath song isn't the most complicated stuff in the world.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 am 

Subrick wrote:
Crick wrote:

I never said Ward's drumming is stripped down. I'm just saying people shouldn't be surprised that the drumming in a Black Sabbath song isn't the most complicated stuff in the world.

+1

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 am 

The drumming on the opening riff is a pretty standard beat. Nothing special or original, but it does fit in nice enough.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
The sound job is also surprisingly okay, considering.

As I've pointed out and others have also noticed, the issue with this first glimpse of the actual album is rehashing "Hole in the Sky" a million years after the fact. Additionally, as far as one can judge a vocal performance level from "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" (what's the next line gonna be? "is this reality or is it just a dream?" or "together forever"? I can't quite decide just yet; I'll have to flip a coin, huh?)

I'm not too keen on the sound - especially since I had to listen to Sabotage after the Hole in the Sky mention. As for that, well, considering the groove in Hole in the Sky is the basis of a whole bunch of riffs that stoner metal bands base their songs around, no wonder. One might always hope for Iommi rehashing those leads or their style as well, but I imagine that's pretty doubtful. As for the lyrics, well, they're gonna be bland, neutral and outdated. I think that was a given.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am 

shouvince wrote:
Artwork and a short teaser of a new song!

Oh man...

Cool stoner riff but it has been done before and a bit average for Iommi's standards. Cantrell on the other hand came out with really original and inspiring set of riffs lately and I can safely say that "13" will be not as exciting as "TDPDH".
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 am 

Here's a video review of the new album and some footage from the listening party/conference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0a8wZpOYwE

I found this lady's voice/tone so grating and uncomfortable. Anywho, I'm not blindly accepting whatever she said, will wait for the proper release.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 am 

You all may want to watch out for that season finale of C.S.I...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:39 am 

Short 3 min "studio documentary" as they put it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... B34lNDL244

More pre-album hype.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 am 

The music sounds okay, but fuck I hate Ozzy and everything about him. He doesn't even sound like a human on his music anymore. There are so many effects and autotune that it sounds like a synthesizer emulating a human.

It's really stupid and disrespectful to Dio that everyone pretends Heaven & Hell wasn't Black Sabbath and even a lot of people act like nothing without Ozzy existed as Black Sabbath at all.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 am 

Who pretends that Heaven & Hell wasn't a pseudonym of Sabbath? :| I haven't come across anyone like that yet.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:34 am 

I think of Heaven & Hell as a separate band, with four fantastic albums.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
It's really stupid and disrespectful to Dio that everyone pretends Heaven & Hell wasn't Black Sabbath and even a lot of people act like nothing without Ozzy existed as Black Sabbath at all.

doomster999 wrote:
Who pretends that Heaven & Hell wasn't a pseudonym of Sabbath? :| I haven't come across anyone like that yet.

What Stabwound was getting at is the whole Ozzy/Sharon-managed current incarnation of the band and how the official propaganda has indeed been to continually refer to "Ozzy-fronted Sabbath" as just "Sabbath" and pretend nothing has ever happened since 1979. Look no further than Rick Rubin's white lie in that very snippet of an interview: "at first everybody was blablabla because they hadn't played together in a really long time, I think 33 years or something like that yadda yadda but after a while they started putting on their instruments and (something to the effect of "it just clicked again")". What the fucking hell is that, Rick? The only two guys with instruments who had ever played together at all prior to this album are Iommi and Butler, and the last time they did play together before that was, I think, barely two years ago. Certainly fucking not 3 decades, you insulting prick.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:15 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Bingo.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:27 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Oh look, the only realistic way to look at it.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 pm 

doomster999 wrote:

Not I, and I'll openly attribute that to the fact I listen to the Dio, Martin, and Gillan albums far more than Ozzy's while still fully acknowledging how important those first records were and remain today. The Devil You Know is by all accounts a Black Sabbath album as it was intended to be named. Sharon doesn't make that decision for me just because she and her meddling bullshit team of lawyers had their way yet again and spat in the faces of fans whom recognize Sabbath's entire history of their existence.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 am 

The first single's been listed on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/God-Is-Dead/dp/B0 ... 3&sr=301-1

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 am 

Look at this friggin' awesome cover for the "God is Dead?"-single:

Why oh why didn't they make this the cover and title for the full album instead? :( :( :( :( :( :(

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:26 am 

Oddeye wrote:
Look at this friggin' awesome cover for the "God is Dead?"-single:

Why oh why didn't they make this the cover and title for the full album instead? :( :( :( :( :( :(

What... the hell... is that?

That cover is far more suited to something really psychedelic, I think.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 am 

Nietzsche eating purple ramen?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 am 

That's freaking awesome! Perhaps not safe enough to use it as the album cover though :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:

That's some nice, Sharon-approved historical revisionism on your part, dude.

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am 

shouvince wrote:
Nietzsche eating purple ramen?

Nope, Nietzsche eating purple roots from "The Devil's Orchard". :wink:

Last.fm

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 am 

So it's going to be long songs. I take that as a good sign, though I still have my doubts.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

That's some nice, Sharon-approved historical revisionism on your part, dude.

Blow it out your asshole.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 pm 

It's nine minutes long. This is either gonna be an incredible song or a terrible song.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next