Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 pm 

I'm not well versed (or versed by any proportion) on Burzum's post-prison material, and have had little drive to really get into it. I listened to Belus and Fallen once each and that's it. However, that cover art is simply outstanding. So maybe that will give me a reason to really check this out.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm 

Nice cover, reminds me of The Somberlain, but in a different style. Ugh, the font is such an eyesore against the artwork :ugh:

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 pm 

In the meantime Varg plans to breed rabbits...
http://thuleanperspective.com/2013/04/0 ... to-revolt/

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 pm 

He could be talking about breeding rabbits an Bob Vila type things and still somehow bring "Jew this, European that" into the topic. That guy is just too much.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm 

I just read through his posts, god he is insane, i like his music though :)

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm 

Varg would use papyrus.

avpr212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:54 am 

At least he's not in prison any more, so he can take his time with the recording process. Also, he'll probably be using a better synth than the crap he had in 1995 and in prison. And at least its not just the crap acoustic album he did last time, this one will have more expanse to it, and there's no danger of 15 minutes of 50 year old Varg warbling gibberish like in umskiptar.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 am 

^ I'm sure it sounds like gibberish to you, but it's Old Norse. It is a dead language, so any interpretation wouldn't be "wrong", but Varg made some weird decisions when it comes to the vowels. It's common to use Icelandic, or a combination of the extant Nordic languages, when re-constructing this language, but Varg decided to pronounce á, ó, o and ö exactly the same (in a way that rhymes with English "knaw" or "awe"). And because of this, it sounds silly.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 am 

Does anyone else find it funny that he "hates" the black metal scene, yet went back and rerecorded his black metal greatest hits anyway? At least the new album won't have his lame sounding humming/talking, but electronic music? no thanks

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 am 

I hope the next Burzum album uses comic sans

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm 

Mwahaha! With little Burzum temporary tattoos tucked away inside!

That sample on his blog was horrible. I've made better shit on my Yamaha keyboard. I guess I should just stab a motherfucker and yallz will like it more, rightright?

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 am 

It's always interesting when heavy metal musicians decides to experiment in a different genre. People are just too quick to judge, just because it's not something they listen to

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Mwahaha! With little Burzum temporary tattoos tucked away inside!

That sample on his blog was horrible. I've made better shit on my Yamaha keyboard. I guess I should just stab a motherfucker and yallz will like it more, rightright?

YES Do it! it would be even more badass if you used a plastic spork \m/

Rodak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm 

Did no one else derive a hearty laugh when the Varg PR statement calls it ORIGINAL...and then follows up with: well uhhh, maybe a little like Tangerine Dream.
Like 3 million other ambient/new age/synth bands?
ha ha.
Isn't it in part or in whole a soundtrack to his wife's film as well?
That usually doesn't bode well.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm 

Dammit, I know Varg is insane, has some shitty opinions, and is a convicted murderer, but things like those pictures of him building rabbit homes almost make me like him. He's just so precocious.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm 

Rodak wrote:
Isn't it in part or in whole a soundtrack to his wife's film as well?
That usually doesn't bode well.

The Ritchie Blackmore of black metal, right there.

Oh, no... skaldic metal, my bad, my bad

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 am 

Who would buy the album if the cover looked like this?
Spoiler: show

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:09 pm 

Would certainly be some legit Scaldic hip-hop. Asgaard represent!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:25 pm 

Varg once said that hip hop is as annoying to him as a barking dog. And now he has a dog...

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 pm 

Quote:
Dammit, I know Varg is insane, has some shitty opinions, and is a convicted murderer, but things like those pictures of him building rabbit homes almost make me like him. He's just so precocious.

I've said this before, but absoloute madman he may be, but he does strike me as the sort of man who would at least offer you a biscuit while ranting about Zionist conspiracies.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I've said this before, but absoloute madman he may be, but he does strike me as the sort of man who would at least offer you a biscuit while ranting about Zionist conspiracies.

I do recall an interview with him in which the interviewer mentioned a basket of homemade meringues laid out on the table for nibbles, so there you go. ;)

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:51 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

I do recall an interview with him in which the interviewer mentioned a basket of homemade meringues laid out on the table for nibbles, so there you go. ;)

jajajaj xD

Quote:
It doesn’t matter if the houses I built are not perfect! It doesn’t matter if what I do is sub standard; I learn a lot from doing things I don’t know well, and after some time living like this I might even become at least a bit competent in a range of fields. All you need to become truly free is some fearlessness and a good «work spirit» (and I guess it helps to have a wife pushing you). The worst you can do is to end up learning something, and that might not be such a bad thing in itself.

you see, i hate his political views and sometimes i find contradictory that a guy that clearly has a bright mind can state such amount of bullshit, but stuff like these make me thing of varg as a nice person with horrible mental problems (which he focused on music and his acts) i mean...he sounds like a nice guy...if you are not jew, of course.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 pm 

Is Burzum even relevant nowadays? It kinda just seems like since he came back he's had mixed reception to the point where there isn't as much buzz about a new record like there used to be.

Or is that a stupid question and I'm making shit up?

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:24 pm 

Well, its generated 3 pages of discussion on here, so yeah, I'd say there's still people that are curious about a new Burzum release, even if expectations aren't high.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:36 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Well, its generated 3 pages of discussion on here, so yeah, I'd say there's still people that are curious about a new Burzum release, even if expectations aren't high.

Yea that makes sense. I guess also considering I'm not a Burzum fan in any sense his music would then be irrelevant to me anyways... I shoulda thought of that...

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 am 

The artwork looks like a picture of Poseidon, driving his charriot and holding his trident.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:07 am 

Well, Varg has created a Youtube account and uploaded a track from Forebears which won't be on the upcoming album. If this is the direction his new material is taking, I'm going to like it a lot!

raszh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 am 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Well, Varg has created a Youtube account and uploaded a track from Forebears which won't be on the upcoming album. If this is the direction his new material is taking, I'm going to like it a lot!

Sounds pretty good!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 am 

raszh wrote:
LlamaTrainer wrote:

Sounds pretty good!

Its simple and repetitive but it sounds ok, I was expecting a synth oriented song but the accustic guitars are good. Les wait and see if the album folllows the same direction.

Has anyone seen the other videos posted by Varg? :D :D

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am 

This is not how the album will sound, here are the samples:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_see ... 1366811455

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:13 pm 

The acoustic piece sounds kinda nifty. Still doubt I'll be venturing further though, I think Fallen was right at my limit.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:24 pm 

So the new album sounds like him noodling on a computer synthesizer rather than a Casio keyboard.

Pass.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:30 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:

After listening to all of the samples, I can say that some of them sound utterly mesmerizing already (from the short sample clips, mind you) and the rest sound like cast-offs from the Age of Empires II soundtrack. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, but it's not really what I was expecting. I guess that track I linked earlier got my hopes up...

Edited, y'all.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:50 pm 

I personally think Hliðskjálf is beautiful and own it on vinyl. I'm also quite an electronic music fan and I've liked most of Burzum's new output (Umskiptar disappointed) anyway, so I imagine I'll probably enjoy it at least some what.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:01 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:

For my suprise I really like it, especially "Fedrahellir (Forebear-Cave)" which sounds very etheral, it has a great melody. I have found some great tunes so I will check the album with some interest.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:25 am 

just wanted to say that this is "out"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:12 am 

Hey, why is this in metal discussion? ;)

Samples sounded pretty flaccid, though there might be a few neat tracks on this album. If Varg had any relevance left, particularly to the metal landscape, it seems like he's pretty much lost the last of it. Not sure how interesting his future work will be to the electronic music crowd, either. Maybe he'll eventually give up music altogether and become a... ...a... ...well, not sure what job skills he has at this point. Woodcutter? Lecturer on public access television?

Lesbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:47 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hey, why is this in metal discussion? ;) well, not sure what job skills he has at this point. Woodcutter? Lecturer on public access television?

Party on, Varg!

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:56 am 

Well, it leaked. There's several tracks that are pretty good, and actually remind me quite a bit of the musical score for the Legend of Dragoon. The rest are, like Under_Starmere said about the samples, flaccid. They pretty much sound like musical cast-offs from Age of Empires II. All in all it wasn't awful , but it didn't really demand my attention the way that Rundgang um die transzendentale Säule der Singularität and Tomhet do since those tracks have a great synth sound and lots of interesting layering.
Meh, I doubt I'll listen to this more than twice. It's a minor disappointment, but I'm honestly not surprised.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 am 

GrtUnclean wrote:
just wanted to say that this is "out"

Thanks for the info, I was waiting for this, my expectatives were high so lets see how the album sounds...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next